Notre Dame Football News And Talk  


Come check out the news feed! DD Front Page

Go Back   Notre Dame Football News And Talk > Message Board > Open Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-16-2015, 07:11 PM
OKCIrish99's Avatar
OKCIrish99 OKCIrish99 is offline
Senior Member
Domer Domain All American
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 5,183
Default Republican Nomination 2016

What are everyone's thoughts on the candidates for this election and the debate last night? Cruz seems to be gaining steam while Carson is fading. Trump is Trump. Very entertaining, controversial candidate. Think it will be a battle between Cruz/Trump to the end.
__________________
John 14:6
Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

  #2  
Old 12-16-2015, 07:27 PM
Jim2Dokes Jim2Dokes is offline
Junior Member
Domer Domain Sophomore
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,053
Default

Seems like certified win for the Dems. GOP is a circus this year. All the decent candidates are at the kids debate table or pushed to the corners of the debate floor.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-16-2015, 07:27 PM
coltssb coltssb is online now
Member
Domer Domain Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 4,107
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKCIrish99 View Post
What are everyone's thoughts on the candidates for this election and the debate last night? Cruz seems to be gaining steam while Carson is fading. Trump is Trump. Very entertaining, controversial candidate. Think it will be a battle between Cruz/Trump to the end.
I know appearances shouldn't matter but Cruz looks like he's about to cry all the time. Then he looks into he camera and has that stalkerish look. Like he wants to invade your body with his eyes. Creepy.

Trump just says whatever's on his mind at the time. I don't trust him at all. Especially, after a fact checker asked him of his opinion on something and it was a complete 360 on what he had said earlier. Then he says he doesn't go back and remember everything he says. That doesn't cut it in my book. Be strong in your convictions but let's not just go off the cusp of everyday living. That could be more detrimental then what we are doing now.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-16-2015, 07:38 PM
OKCIrish99's Avatar
OKCIrish99 OKCIrish99 is offline
Senior Member
Domer Domain All American
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 5,183
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim2Dokes View Post
Seems like certified win for the Dems. GOP is a circus this year. All the decent candidates are at the kids debate table or pushed to the corners of the debate floor.
I will be pretty surprised if Hillary Clinton is not our next president for all things considered. The debates though between her and Trump would be very fun.
__________________
John 14:6
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-16-2015, 08:32 PM
Jim2Dokes Jim2Dokes is offline
Junior Member
Domer Domain Sophomore
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,053
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKCIrish99 View Post
I will be pretty surprised if Hillary Clinton is not our next president for all things considered. The debates though between her and Trump would be very fun.
If Trump actually wins the nom which GOP really does not want to happen, more people will vote just to see him lose. The debates will be entertaining but much different then the debates now. Hilary is calculated and more prepared than any of the GOP candidates, she will be ready for everything and it will be smooth. Unlike Jeb Bush who seems to anxiously throw out prepared talking points at the wrong times and look like a nervous wreck. Really the only candidate that stands a chance va Hilary is that Indiana governor who actually uses some common sense.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-16-2015, 11:05 PM
Irish4life's Avatar
Irish4life Irish4life is offline
Junior Member
Domer Domain Sophomore
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Laurel Mississippi
Posts: 1,436
Default

Well my guy doesn't stand a chance (Rand Paul). But in the end I believe Cruz will be the nominee. Aaaand then loses to Hillary...
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-16-2015, 11:12 PM
EddieAngel's Avatar
EddieAngel EddieAngel is offline
Member
Domer Domain Junior
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,726
Default

The GOP is in real trouble of becoming a perennial loser. If they can't field a candidate who is more socially liberal it is going to be a long 40 years.

More and more often these days when I talk to other Republicans, they explain that they are fiscally conservative but socially liberal. Way of the world for the time being.
__________________
"Little things used to mean so much to Shelly- I used to think they were kind of trivial. Believe me, nothing is trivial." --Eric Draven, The Crow
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-17-2015, 12:21 AM
ND3 ND3 is offline
Junior Member
Domer Domain Walk-On
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Asheville, NC
Posts: 426
Default

I really don't think Trump has a chance. He's leading the polls and has been for a while but as nominees drop out nobody will support him. I think everyone who would vote for Trump already supports him and I don't think many voters will... ahem... "immigrate" to his side when their candidate concedes.

I think it's likely a Cruz/Rubio showdown, with maybe Carson falling in there somewhere. Maybe Bush makes some kind of comeback but I don't see it.

I don't think Hillary is a shoo-in though... So many people dislike her after what happened with the emails and Benghazi and her poor performance as Secretary of State. I think whoever takes the GOP nomination has a solid chance to beat her.

Also, the Trump-Bush bickering last night was HILARIOUS
http://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2...ntial-debates/
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-17-2015, 12:45 AM
chirodomer's Avatar
chirodomer chirodomer is offline
Senior Member
Domer Domain All American
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Fishers, IN
Posts: 9,702
Default

I think Marco is the best shot on the Republican side. If Bernie could be convinced to run independent that would give the race to the republicans. I will say this. I'm not excited about Hillary for medical and most things. However, I don't think anyone will test her because I have no doubts that she would sink a shiv in a foreign leader who screwed with her. I also think she would enjoy wielding her military.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-17-2015, 12:46 AM
OklahomaIrish's Avatar
OklahomaIrish OklahomaIrish is offline
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Edmond, Oklahoma
Posts: 10,517
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim2Dokes View Post
If Trump actually wins the nom which GOP really does not want to happen, more people will vote just to see him lose. The debates will be entertaining but much different then the debates now. Hilary is calculated and more prepared than any of the GOP candidates, she will be ready for everything and it will be smooth. Unlike Jeb Bush who seems to anxiously throw out prepared talking points at the wrong times and look like a nervous wreck. Really the only candidate that stands a chance va Hilary is that Indiana governor who actually uses some common sense.
Rubio wins against Clinton in the polls. 4 more years of liberal policies and the debt ceiling would reach a melt down stage. Best foreign policy people are Rubio, Furiena, Cruz and Bush. This election, foreign policy may Trump everything else.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-17-2015, 12:47 AM
Jersey Irish's Avatar
Jersey Irish Jersey Irish is offline
Member
Domer Domain Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mine Hill, New Jersey
Posts: 4,366
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND3 View Post
I really don't think Trump has a chance. He's leading the polls and has been for a while but as nominees drop out nobody will support him. I think everyone who would vote for Trump already supports him and I don't think many voters will... ahem... "immigrate" to his side when their candidate concedes.

I think it's likely a Cruz/Rubio showdown, with maybe Carson falling in there somewhere. Maybe Bush makes some kind of comeback but I don't see it.

I don't think Hillary is a shoo-in though... So many people dislike her after what happened with the emails and Benghazi and her poor performance as Secretary of State. I think whoever takes the GOP nomination has a solid chance to beat her.

Also, the Trump-Bush bickering last night was HILARIOUS
http://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2...ntial-debates/
"Dislike" is too kind of a word with Hillary. Insert "Hate" -- much better. The GOP could put up Mickey Mouse as their candidate and he'd do a better job than her. Do we really want 4 more years of what we have now considering the decisions the next president will have to make in the war on terrorism?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-17-2015, 05:09 AM
nickman54's Avatar
nickman54 nickman54 is offline
Member
Domer Domain Junior
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: NE Indiana
Posts: 2,767
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND3 View Post
I really don't think Trump has a chance. He's leading the polls and has been for a while but as nominees drop out nobody will support him. I think everyone who would vote for Trump already supports him and I don't think many voters will... ahem... "immigrate" to his side when their candidate concedes.

I think it's likely a Cruz/Rubio showdown, with maybe Carson falling in there somewhere. Maybe Bush makes some kind of comeback but I don't see it.

I don't think Hillary is a shoo-in though... So many people dislike her after what happened with the emails and Benghazi and her poor performance as Secretary of State. I think whoever takes the GOP nomination has a solid chance to beat her.

Also, the Trump-Bush bickering last night was HILARIOUS
http://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2...ntial-debates/
Solid assessment from someone that i assume is more "left" than i. There is alot of damaged goods with both sides this cycle. I still think that we need major changes on immigration policy in this country.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-17-2015, 12:00 PM
OKCIrish99's Avatar
OKCIrish99 OKCIrish99 is offline
Senior Member
Domer Domain All American
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 5,183
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish4life View Post
But in the end I believe Cruz will be the nominee. Aaaand then loses to Hillary...
Agreed. In the end, I think Cruz will win out for the GOP. Way too much drama, discrepancies, and insults from Trump. Cruz was wise to avoid a fist fight with him on Tuesday and take the high road.
__________________
John 14:6
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-17-2015, 12:01 PM
OKCIrish99's Avatar
OKCIrish99 OKCIrish99 is offline
Senior Member
Domer Domain All American
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 5,183
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieAngel View Post
The GOP is in real trouble of becoming a perennial loser.
I stated after the 2012 election, I don't know if/when we'll ever see a Republican president again for a long time. I stand by that comment for all things considered.
__________________
John 14:6
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-17-2015, 12:48 PM
DTCBND03 DTCBND03 is offline
Junior Member
Domer Domain Freshman
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Chicago
Posts: 913
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieAngel View Post
The GOP is in real trouble of becoming a perennial loser. If they can't field a candidate who is more socially liberal it is going to be a long 40 years.

More and more often these days when I talk to other Republicans, they explain that they are fiscally conservative but socially liberal. Way of the world for the time being.
Completely agree with this. I cringe whenever I hear the social ideas coming out of Republicans mouths...and I cringe whenever I hear the fiscal ideas coming out of Dems mouths. Here's my other thoughts:

- I like Christie the best. Smart and to the point. He won't win though because of weight and people don't like being yelled at even when it's the truth. We ask for politicians not to feed us BS all the time but when someone like Christie actually does it we turn a deaf ear.
- Rand Paul is the only true fiscal conservative...but he won't win.
- Trump and Cruz are clowns and don't have respect from republican party.
- You may see Rubio sneak in a late victory. He's polished, has the "look" and is hispanic.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 12-17-2015, 01:53 PM
jfschellcrna's Avatar
jfschellcrna jfschellcrna is offline
Administrator
Domer Domain Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: coopersburg, pa.
Posts: 15,564
Default

as long as the republicans continue to align themselves with the conservative arm of the christian coalition, no one will take them seriously........
__________________
"I was in Baghdad before you were in your dad's bag".......Graeme Gow

Too much virtue is gonna hurt you!!

Clarity
The moment when you realize the preseason polls were wrong. Again.

Moderator



ASBC!!!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 12-17-2015, 02:25 PM
coltssb coltssb is online now
Member
Domer Domain Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 4,107
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKCIrish99 View Post
Agreed. In the end, I think Cruz will win out for the GOP. Way too much drama, discrepancies, and insults from Trump. Cruz was wise to avoid a fist fight with him on Tuesday and take the high road.
I feel like that's been Trumps MO. Insult on the campaign trail but during he debates he plays nice. Or should I say nicer. He's a smart guy on know how to give the people what they want to hear.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 12-17-2015, 03:32 PM
VCDomer's Avatar
VCDomer VCDomer is offline
Senior Member
Domer Domain All American
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Ventura, CA
Posts: 6,570
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKCIrish99 View Post
Agreed. In the end, I think Cruz will win out for the GOP. Way too much drama, discrepancies, and insults from Trump. Cruz was wise to avoid a fist fight with him on Tuesday and take the high road.
Maybe it's just me... But I think a deal has already been cut between Cruz and Trump.
__________________


Tough Times Don't Last, Tough People Do!
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 12-17-2015, 03:40 PM
OKCIrish99's Avatar
OKCIrish99 OKCIrish99 is offline
Senior Member
Domer Domain All American
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 5,183
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltssb View Post
I feel like that's been Trumps MO. Insult on the campaign trail but during he debates he plays nice. Or should I say nicer. He's a smart guy on know how to give the people what they want to hear.
He said "Rubio sweats buckets of water." He called Hillary Clinton "shrill." He was also in hot water for purportedly mocking a disabled reporter. That one was very inappropriate and unjust. These are just a few of the many.
__________________
John 14:6
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 12-17-2015, 04:29 PM
coltssb coltssb is online now
Member
Domer Domain Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 4,107
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKCIrish99 View Post
He said "Rubio sweats buckets of water." He called Hillary Clinton "shrill." He was also in hot water for purportedly mocking a disabled reporter. That one was very inappropriate and unjust. These are just a few of the many.
Oh I get that. He just seems a little more reserve during the debates then on the trail. His speeches are more vicious towards his opponents then in the debates.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 12-17-2015, 05:20 PM
TheRizz TheRizz is offline
Junior Member
Domer Domain Junior
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,253
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim2Dokes View Post
Seems like certified win for the Dems. GOP is a circus this year. All the decent candidates are at the kids debate table or pushed to the corners of the debate floor.
Are you serious? Any of 7 top GOP candidates are going to crush Hillary. She's going to be arraigned by the court
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 12-17-2015, 05:42 PM
DTCBND03 DTCBND03 is offline
Junior Member
Domer Domain Freshman
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Chicago
Posts: 913
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRizz View Post
Are you serious? Any of 7 top GOP candidates are going to crush Hillary. She's going to be arraigned by the court
haha what? I can't tell if you're joking. Whitewater, Impeachment and now Benghazi...the Clintons are teflon dons. Hillary will probably win because the Repub pool is a circus.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 12-17-2015, 06:50 PM
coltssb coltssb is online now
Member
Domer Domain Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 4,107
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRizz View Post
Are you serious? Any of 7 top GOP candidates are going to crush Hillary. She's going to be arraigned by the court
I like to hear your top 7 and then decide. But I agree with other posters, Hillary is most likely going to win the presidency.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 12-17-2015, 07:02 PM
Jim2Dokes Jim2Dokes is offline
Junior Member
Domer Domain Sophomore
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,053
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRizz View Post
Are you serious? Any of 7 top GOP candidates are going to crush Hillary. She's going to be arraigned by the court
Dead serious. And Dems will make moves on senate and congress just the trend. Don't believe polls. most people don't have home phones and smart people don't pick up random numbers that don't leave messages. Hilary probably already has a 5-7 percentage point lead. But good luck with your prediction.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 12-17-2015, 09:10 PM
AlabamaDuck AlabamaDuck is offline
Junior Member
Domer Domain Sophomore
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Gadsden, Alabama
Posts: 1,971
Default Hillary

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKCIrish99 View Post
I will be pretty surprised if Hillary Clinton is not our next president for all things considered. The debates though between her and Trump would be very fun.
I don`t see how she can answer for all of her lies. Her job as Sec of State is horrible.
Her emails are still coming out and now we know for sure that some were top secret. She might be on her way to jail.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Also visit IrishEnvy, our Notre Dame Football partner site

All times are GMT. The time now is 01:48 PM.

Last Updated: September 18, 2019

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.