Notre Dame Football News And Talk  

Come check out the news feed! DD Front Page

Go Back   Notre Dame Football News And Talk > Message Board > Open Forum

Old 12-16-2015, 07:11 PM
Domer Domain All American

Default Republican Nomination 2016

What are everyone's thoughts on the candidates for this election and the debate last night? Cruz seems to be gaining steam while Carson is fading. Trump is Trump. Very entertaining, controversial candidate. Think it will be a battle between Cruz/Trump to the end.

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 12-16-2015, 07:27 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Seems like certified win for the Dems. GOP is a circus this year. All the decent candidates are at the kids debate table or pushed to the corners of the debate floor.
Old 12-16-2015, 07:27 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKCIrish99 View Post
What are everyone's thoughts on the candidates for this election and the debate last night? Cruz seems to be gaining steam while Carson is fading. Trump is Trump. Very entertaining, controversial candidate. Think it will be a battle between Cruz/Trump to the end.
I know appearances shouldn't matter but Cruz looks like he's about to cry all the time. Then he looks into he camera and has that stalkerish look. Like he wants to invade your body with his eyes. Creepy.

Trump just says whatever's on his mind at the time. I don't trust him at all. Especially, after a fact checker asked him of his opinion on something and it was a complete 360 on what he had said earlier. Then he says he doesn't go back and remember everything he says. That doesn't cut it in my book. Be strong in your convictions but let's not just go off the cusp of everyday living. That could be more detrimental then what we are doing now.
Old 12-16-2015, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim2Dokes View Post
Seems like certified win for the Dems. GOP is a circus this year. All the decent candidates are at the kids debate table or pushed to the corners of the debate floor.
I will be pretty surprised if Hillary Clinton is not our next president for all things considered. The debates though between her and Trump would be very fun.
Old 12-16-2015, 08:32 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
I will be pretty surprised if Hillary Clinton is not our next president for all things considered. The debates though between her and Trump would be very fun.
If Trump actually wins the nom which GOP really does not want to happen, more people will vote just to see him lose. The debates will be entertaining but much different then the debates now. Hilary is calculated and more prepared than any of the GOP candidates, she will be ready for everything and it will be smooth. Unlike Jeb Bush who seems to anxiously throw out prepared talking points at the wrong times and look like a nervous wreck. Really the only candidate that stands a chance va Hilary is that Indiana governor who actually uses some common sense.
Old 12-16-2015, 11:05 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Well my guy doesn't stand a chance (Rand Paul). But in the end I believe Cruz will be the nominee. Aaaand then loses to Hillary...
Old 12-16-2015, 11:12 PM
Domer Domain Junior

The GOP is in real trouble of becoming a perennial loser. If they can't field a candidate who is more socially liberal it is going to be a long 40 years.

More and more often these days when I talk to other Republicans, they explain that they are fiscally conservative but socially liberal. Way of the world for the time being.
Old 12-17-2015, 12:21 AM
Domer Domain Walk-On

I really don't think Trump has a chance. He's leading the polls and has been for a while but as nominees drop out nobody will support him. I think everyone who would vote for Trump already supports him and I don't think many voters will... ahem... "immigrate" to his side when their candidate concedes.

I think it's likely a Cruz/Rubio showdown, with maybe Carson falling in there somewhere. Maybe Bush makes some kind of comeback but I don't see it.

I don't think Hillary is a shoo-in though... So many people dislike her after what happened with the emails and Benghazi and her poor performance as Secretary of State. I think whoever takes the GOP nomination has a solid chance to beat her.

Also, the Trump-Bush bickering last night was HILARIOUS
http://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2...ntial-debates/
Old 12-17-2015, 12:45 AM

I think Marco is the best shot on the Republican side. If Bernie could be convinced to run independent that would give the race to the republicans. I will say this. I'm not excited about Hillary for medical and most things. However, I don't think anyone will test her because I have no doubts that she would sink a shiv in a foreign leader who screwed with her. I also think she would enjoy wielding her military.
Old 12-17-2015, 12:46 AM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Quote:
If Trump actually wins the nom which GOP really does not want to happen, more people will vote just to see him lose. The debates will be entertaining but much different then the debates now. Hilary is calculated and more prepared than any of the GOP candidates, she will be ready for everything and it will be smooth. Unlike Jeb Bush who seems to anxiously throw out prepared talking points at the wrong times and look like a nervous wreck. Really the only candidate that stands a chance va Hilary is that Indiana governor who actually uses some common sense.
Rubio wins against Clinton in the polls. 4 more years of liberal policies and the debt ceiling would reach a melt down stage. Best foreign policy people are Rubio, Furiena, Cruz and Bush. This election, foreign policy may Trump everything else.
Old 12-17-2015, 12:47 AM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND3 View Post
I really don't think Trump has a chance. He's leading the polls and has been for a while but as nominees drop out nobody will support him. I think everyone who would vote for Trump already supports him and I don't think many voters will... ahem... "immigrate" to his side when their candidate concedes.

I think it's likely a Cruz/Rubio showdown, with maybe Carson falling in there somewhere. Maybe Bush makes some kind of comeback but I don't see it.

I don't think Hillary is a shoo-in though... So many people dislike her after what happened with the emails and Benghazi and her poor performance as Secretary of State. I think whoever takes the GOP nomination has a solid chance to beat her.

"Dislike" is too kind of a word with Hillary. Insert "Hate" -- much better. The GOP could put up Mickey Mouse as their candidate and he'd do a better job than her. Do we really want 4 more years of what we have now considering the decisions the next president will have to make in the war on terrorism?
Old 12-17-2015, 05:09 AM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND3 View Post

Solid assessment from someone that i assume is more "left" than i. There is alot of damaged goods with both sides this cycle. I still think that we need major changes on immigration policy in this country.
Old 12-17-2015, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish4life View Post
But in the end I believe Cruz will be the nominee. Aaaand then loses to Hillary...
Agreed. In the end, I think Cruz will win out for the GOP. Way too much drama, discrepancies, and insults from Trump. Cruz was wise to avoid a fist fight with him on Tuesday and take the high road.
Old 12-17-2015, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieAngel View Post
The GOP is in real trouble of becoming a perennial loser.
I stated after the 2012 election, I don't know if/when we'll ever see a Republican president again for a long time. I stand by that comment for all things considered.
Old 12-17-2015, 12:48 PM
Domer Domain Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieAngel View Post
The GOP is in real trouble of becoming a perennial loser. If they can't field a candidate who is more socially liberal it is going to be a long 40 years.

More and more often these days when I talk to other Republicans, they explain that they are fiscally conservative but socially liberal. Way of the world for the time being.
Completely agree with this. I cringe whenever I hear the social ideas coming out of Republicans mouths...and I cringe whenever I hear the fiscal ideas coming out of Dems mouths. Here's my other thoughts:

- I like Christie the best. Smart and to the point. He won't win though because of weight and people don't like being yelled at even when it's the truth. We ask for politicians not to feed us BS all the time but when someone like Christie actually does it we turn a deaf ear.
- Rand Paul is the only true fiscal conservative...but he won't win.
- Trump and Cruz are clowns and don't have respect from republican party.
- You may see Rubio sneak in a late victory. He's polished, has the "look" and is hispanic.
Old 12-17-2015, 01:53 PM
Administrator
Domer Domain Legend

as long as the republicans continue to align themselves with the conservative arm of the christian coalition, no one will take them seriously........

Too much virtue is gonna hurt you!!

Clarity
The moment when you realize the preseason polls were wrong. Again.

ASBC!!!!!!
Old 12-17-2015, 02:25 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Agreed. In the end, I think Cruz will win out for the GOP. Way too much drama, discrepancies, and insults from Trump. Cruz was wise to avoid a fist fight with him on Tuesday and take the high road.
I feel like that's been Trumps MO. Insult on the campaign trail but during he debates he plays nice. Or should I say nicer. He's a smart guy on know how to give the people what they want to hear.
Old 12-17-2015, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Maybe it's just me... But I think a deal has already been cut between Cruz and Trump.

Tough Times Don't Last, Tough People Do!
Old 12-17-2015, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltssb View Post
I feel like that's been Trumps MO. Insult on the campaign trail but during he debates he plays nice. Or should I say nicer. He's a smart guy on know how to give the people what they want to hear.
He said "Rubio sweats buckets of water." He called Hillary Clinton "shrill." He was also in hot water for purportedly mocking a disabled reporter. That one was very inappropriate and unjust. These are just a few of the many.
Old 12-17-2015, 04:29 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
He said "Rubio sweats buckets of water." He called Hillary Clinton "shrill." He was also in hot water for purportedly mocking a disabled reporter. That one was very inappropriate and unjust. These are just a few of the many.
Oh I get that. He just seems a little more reserve during the debates then on the trail. His speeches are more vicious towards his opponents then in the debates.
Old 12-17-2015, 05:20 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Are you serious? Any of 7 top GOP candidates are going to crush Hillary. She's going to be arraigned by the court
Old 12-17-2015, 05:42 PM
Domer Domain Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRizz View Post
Are you serious? Any of 7 top GOP candidates are going to crush Hillary. She's going to be arraigned by the court
haha what? I can't tell if you're joking. Whitewater, Impeachment and now Benghazi...the Clintons are teflon dons. Hillary will probably win because the Repub pool is a circus.
Old 12-17-2015, 06:50 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
I like to hear your top 7 and then decide. But I agree with other posters, Hillary is most likely going to win the presidency.
Old 12-17-2015, 07:02 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Dead serious. And Dems will make moves on senate and congress just the trend. Don't believe polls. most people don't have home phones and smart people don't pick up random numbers that don't leave messages. Hilary probably already has a 5-7 percentage point lead. But good luck with your prediction.
Old 12-17-2015, 09:10 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Default Hillary

Quote:
I don`t see how she can answer for all of her lies. Her job as Sec of State is horrible.
Her emails are still coming out and now we know for sure that some were top secret. She might be on her way to jail.