Notre Dame Football News And Talk  

Come check out the news feed! DD Front Page

Go Back   Notre Dame Football News And Talk > Message Board > Open Forum

Old 10-13-2015, 03:03 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketsan View Post
I wouldn't be upset at all. It's baseball...I played it. I coach it. It's unfortunate...but part of the game.

Peace. I'm out.
You coach your kids to slide knees first after the base? Seems like an odd technique.

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 10-13-2015, 04:12 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by corysold View Post
You coach your kids to slide knees first after the base? Seems like an odd technique.

No, I teach them to slide feet first. Do you know the official major league rule for sliding to break up a double play? All you are required to do is hit the ground. It doesn't say feet first, a$$ first, knees first...anything...

Would I teach knees first sliding? Um, no, I wouldn't - that's a great way to blow an ACL and MCL all in one fell swoop...

If you want to be angry...be angry at the vagueness of the rules.
Old 10-13-2015, 05:03 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
He didn't slide until after the base. This isn't that hard to understand. He was suspended two games because his action was illegal. Just because you can touch a base doesn't give you the right to barrel into a guys leg without touching the ground first.

If he slid outside base and contacted him while on the ground, sure, that would be a good clean slide. This was very late and high. If Tejada wasn't there, he wouldn't have contacted the ground until three feet after the base. In what world is that a real slide?

If Tulowitzki had been taken out in the same manner, I'm sure some would view the play differently.
I'm not saying it wasn't dirty. But a slides a slide. feet, knee, hand, knee, butt. Doesn't matter about the timing. Go look at the injury to Kang of the Pittsburg Pirates second baseman. Sure, Coughlan slid EARLY but he most definitely slid AT Kang. Where's the outrage for that slide? Only from Pittsburgh fans. There is only outrage now because it cost them a game in the playoffs and he got injured. Really or late, they both intentionally went after the player and not the base. Both got injured. Both were dirty. Both have been part of the game. It's a big deal because it's the playoffs. That's it.
Old 10-13-2015, 05:37 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Also, I think this suspension is the first of its kind. Guys barrel roll over the base and into players all the time. Some even get injured. The suspension is the kicker here. How can you suspend Utley and not suspend Coughlan or any other player that slides deliberately into a player? There just isn't a definite rule on how or when to slide. Until they change the rule, this is going to be a judgement call, and if you watch the NFL, can be disastrous for Umps.
Old 10-13-2015, 06:02 PM
Domer Domain All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltssb View Post
Also, I think this suspension is the first of its kind. Guys barrel roll over the base and into players all the time. Some even get injured. The suspension is the kicker here. How can you suspend Utley and not suspend Coughlan or any other player that slides deliberately into a player? There just isn't a definite rule on how or when to slide. Until they change the rule, this is going to be a judgement call, and if you watch the NFL, can be disastrous for Umps.
Go watch Coghlan's slide and then watch Utley's again. They were way different. I played division 1 college baseball and still work in the field...Utley's slide usually causes dugouts to clear or that player being plunked next ab. With that said, I don't think Utley meant anything malicious, but the slide was definitely questionable at best.

Go Cubs!
Old 10-13-2015, 06:14 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LasVegasIrish View Post
Go watch Coghlan's slide and then watch Utley's again. They were way different. I played division 1 college baseball and still work in the field...Utley's slide usually causes dugouts to clear or that player being plunked next ab. With that said, I don't think Utley meant anything malicious, but the slide was definitely questionable at best.

Go Cubs!
Completely agree. But the point was that both guys slid intentionally into the player. NOT the base. Both got injured. One slid early. One slid late. Neither were malicious. Both ended with the player breaking a bone. One was suspended. The other wasn't. How do we decide between the two? Because one guy slid late? Doesn't make sense to me. Both caused the same result. And both slid PURPOSELY into a player. Change the rule or don't suspend him IMO.

And you are right. GO CUBS!!!
Old 10-13-2015, 11:56 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Congrats you Cub fans!!!

SCSBC
Old 10-14-2015, 12:57 AM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Did I just Manny Ramirez celebrating with the Cubs?

I don't follow baseball too deeply, but what is that about?
Old 10-14-2015, 01:14 AM
Domer Domain Sophomore

He's their hitting consultant

SCSBC
Old 10-14-2015, 03:00 AM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Send a message via AIM to toddrhodes Send a message via Yahoo to toddrhodes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sligo View Post
He's their hitting consultant
And they're not paying him enough, whatever that number is

/insert witty comment or quote <here>
Old 10-14-2015, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake from State Farm View Post
Did I just Manny Ramirez celebrating with the Cubs?

I don't follow baseball too deeply, but what is that about?
This is now his second year as a Cubs coach.
Old 10-14-2015, 12:41 PM

Quote:
This is now his second year as a Cubs coach.
I'm getting pretty excited about Baez honestly. Dude has some power. Do you think the front office will keep all 3 big middle infielders (Castro, Russell, Baez) long term? Or, will 1 need to be dealt? Not too worried about it currently but it is a good issue to have.
Old 10-14-2015, 12:49 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKCIrish99 View Post
I'm getting pretty excited about Baez honestly. Dude has some power. Do you think the front office will keep all 3 big middle infielders (Castro, Russell, Baez) long term? Or, will 1 need to be dealt? Not too worried about it currently but it is a good issue to have.
Either Baez moves to 3rd, which puts Bryant in center, which isn't great, but not the worst thing.

Or Castro is moved and Russell goes back to second with Baez at SS.

Other option would be to put Schwarber back behind the plate and move Baez to 3rd and Bryant to LF and bring in/up a CF. Not sure if that will happen though.
Old 10-14-2015, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Either Baez moves to 3rd, which puts Bryant in center, which isn't great, but not the worst thing.

Or Castro is moved and Russell goes back to second with Baez at SS.

Other option would be to put Schwarber back behind the plate and move Baez to 3rd and Bryant to LF and bring in/up a CF. Not sure if that will happen though.
It will be interesting to see. They need to pick a position for Schwarber and have him hone his defense in the offseason. I hope they keep all 3 and don't have to decide. They also recently signed Eddy Julio Martinez, a strong Cuban prospect. Epstein has done a phenomenal job of stockpiling young talent. It will be interesting to see what it is done with all of it going forward.
Old 10-14-2015, 01:53 PM

Quote:
It's funny...3 months ago Castro was completely out of the equation for next season, and now it seems crazy to let him go. I've always been a fan of his, and I'm happy he's contributing at such a high level right now.

Russell and Baez are definitely pieces of the future, and until Torres comes up we probably won't have to worry about it. I think we will see Baez be the Zobrist for Maddon. He won't play the same position everyday, but he will certainly be in the lineup as an everyday guy.

The lineup should get interesting in the next few years though. Do the Cubs keep Fowler? Do they sign Jackson for much cheaper and role with him? Will Almora be ready by the end of next season? What is Schwarber's future position?

Not to mention guys like McKinney, Contreras, and some of the pitchers...

Cubs have a really good problem right now.
Old 10-14-2015, 02:28 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Or I wonder if Castro can play center and keep Bryant at third and Baez at second. So many options.

If they do keep Scwarber in left then they are going to need to keep a decent fielding center fielder. I'd stick with Re-signing Fowler. The depth this year is what has kept the Cubs fresh and allow guys the needed rest for the stretch run. Also, there bench is very strong and can play multiple positions.

As I told my friend yesterday, this isn't your father's Cubs. Or even your grandfathers Cubs. No longer are the Cubs in debt with over-priced veterans. Band-aid pieced together year after year. Farm system dead last with no rookies on the horizon. This team is young and fun to watch.
Old 10-14-2015, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltssb View Post
Or I wonder if Castro can play center and keep Bryant at third and Baez at second. So many options.

If they do keep Scwarber in left then they are going to need to keep a decent fielding center fielder. I'd stick with Re-signing Fowler. The depth this year is what has kept the Cubs fresh and allow guys the needed rest for the stretch run. Also, there bench is very strong and can play multiple positions.

As I told my friend yesterday, this isn't your father's Cubs. Or even your grandfathers Cubs. No longer are the Cubs in debt with over-priced veterans. Band-aid pieced together year after year. Farm system dead last with no rookies on the horizon. This team is young and fun to watch.
I would DEFINITELY re-sign Fowler. Without question. Great leadoff guy with a good attitude, pretty good speed, and decent power. Big fan of his. Obviously lol.
Old 10-14-2015, 04:18 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Quote:
I would DEFINITELY re-sign Fowler. Without question. Great leadoff guy with a good attitude, pretty good speed, and decent power. Big fan of his. Obviously lol.
I wonder what the going rate for Heyward is going to be. Wouldn't mind him in center, but not there is a spot or money in the budget.
Old 10-14-2015, 05:06 PM

Quote:
I wonder what the going rate for Heyward is going to be. Wouldn't mind him in center, but not there is a spot or money in the budget.
I'd rather see Fowler only because I think Almora is close. Heyward is younger and will want huge money and years. Fowler, albeit coming off a good season, is older than Heyward and probably won't command nearly as much in both money and years.
Old 10-14-2015, 06:34 PM

Quote:
I'd be surprised if St Louis let him go. He started slow but got going pretty good. They really ought to pay and keep him.
Old 10-14-2015, 06:37 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
I'd rather see Fowler only because I think Almora is close. Heyward is younger and will want huge money and years. Fowler, albeit coming off a good season, is older than Heyward and probably won't command nearly as much in both money and years.
Although Fowler seems a little fragile at times. I would definetly take him over Heyward. Based on chemistry and he's a solid center fielder. Heyward can play it but I just think Fowler is better defensively. Also, Fowler can still hit a little and has been a good lead off man. Heyward reminds me of a 2 or 6 hitter. We have enough of those guys already. We don't have legit lead off man if Fowler leaves.
Old 10-14-2015, 06:59 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
I'd be surprised if St Louis let him go. He started slow but got going pretty good. They really ought to pay and keep him.
Everything I've read says he's looking for something north of $100 million. He's a nice piece but $100 million? My God, baseball is THE sport to go into if you want to get stupid rich and you have any semblance of talent.......
Old 10-14-2015, 07:12 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianIrish View Post
Everything I've read says he's looking for something north of $100 million. He's a nice piece but $100 million? My God, baseball is THE sport to go into if you want to get stupid rich and you have any semblance of talent.......
Well, if you are into advanced metrics and WAR, he was worth 6 wins this year, same as Bryant, more than Rizzo, McCutchen, Jose Bautista, Buster Posey, Chris Davis. He was 11th in the league and is only 26.

Is he a superstar in the making, I don't think so, but you can do a whole lot worse than him as a 26 year old.
Old 10-14-2015, 07:24 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

For sure. Don't get me wrong - this guy is talented for sure and I'd welcome him to Toronto any day of the week. It was more of a comment on where salaries have gone. I remember when a $100 million deal was signed it was big news - you'd see photo galleries on SI with the history of $100 million deals. Now, it would be an endless gallery. Craziness.

That being said, I still love the future of my Jays outfield with the way Pillar has emerged defensively!
As they say here, 2/3 of the world's surface is covered by water. The rest is covered by Pillar.
Old 10-14-2015, 07:40 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianIrish View Post
For sure. Don't get me wrong - this guy is talented for sure and I'd welcome him to Toronto any day of the week. It was more of a comment on where salaries have gone. I remember when a $100 million deal was signed it was big news - you'd see photo galleries on SI with the history of $100 million deals. Now, it would be an endless gallery. Craziness.

That being said, I still love the future of my Jays outfield with the way Pillar has emerged defensively!
As they say here, 2/3 of the world's surface is covered by water. The rest is covered by Pillar.
I hear you.

Just wait until Mike Trout Becomes after agent. $400 million?