Notre Dame Football News And Talk  

Come check out the news feed! DD Front Page

Go Back   Notre Dame Football News And Talk > Message Board > Open Forum

Old 08-14-2014, 04:24 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by OklahomaIrish View Post
Don't have time to catch up on this, spending too much time with the football side. But, please, Jesus absolutely said Peter himself was the rock. He changed his name for goodness sakes to Peter which means ROCK......This can't be interpreted any other way.

Also, DonJuan mentions other apostolic churches~~~~~do you know what apostolic means??? It means there is no break. The importance of this is that the Faith is passed down by laying of the hands. Once the protestants broke from the Church they lost the Holy Spirit. In fact, the Bible says that when you leave the Church you lose the Holy Spirit.

the protestant church grows by division only. The older denominations are all dying.

Once again, to clear our minds that are clouded by sin, God grants us the many miracles to lead us to the TRUTH. He says if you seek the Truth you will find it. Trouble is, people aren't trying to seek the truth, they are trying to convince others to believe as they do.
Wow Okie, I didn't know you had it in you. I think this thread is about answering questions and seeking the truth. The only real ire I have seen thus far or compelling pushing is when the subject of Catholicism arises. So much vitriol. I am glad you believe in Jesus and we will have an endless eternity to discuss theological differences, that is all this is really about.

My opinion is that Jesus empowered all believers to go forth and baptize in his name and make disciples of all the people of the world, you say that he founded his church on Peter (What an odd choice). Let's agree to disagree

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 08-14-2014, 04:55 PM
Domer Domain All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieAngel View Post
I do not acknowledge the idea that there is no higher power. Even before I Was a Christian I knew there was someone out there listening who set this all in motion.
Which brings me to my next question. Is the definition of a true believer someone who can't even acknowledge the possibility that there may be no God?

Also, are a majority of Christians simply "hedging their bets"? Someone earlier mentioned that it was a priest's response that he'd rather believe and be wrong than not believe and be wrong. But, if there is a God, I'd imagine he could see through that "fake" belief. I.e. most Christians beliefs aren't genuine.

M.S.B.C

KCCO
Old 08-14-2014, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donjuan View Post
Great find. Thank you

Tough Times Don't Last, Tough People Do!
Old 08-14-2014, 05:42 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Quote:
That's kind of a strange question but I'll try to answer it from my point of view. True believers believe whole-heartedly that there is a God and that He sent His Son to die for our sins. But the very core of that belief is that you have to believe in God. There isn't any room for doubt.
I totally agree with Donjuan here.

My wife brings home lots of books on near death experiences. some are by previous atheists and agnostics. It totally and entirely convinced them that there is a God. A good loving God. they experience a love that can not be described by human words and a peace that is beyond all understanding. I read one by a neuro surgeon that was not a believer but after his near death experience he was able to put it in words like no other. Very very convincing.
I have had some things happen where the super natural showed me that it is real. I might want to write about it on DD. Not sure yet as people might say I'm a kook.
Old 08-14-2014, 06:48 PM
Administrator
Domer Domain Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCDomer View Post
Great find. Thank you
Your welcome! Turned out to be a very interesting subject...

Old 08-14-2014, 07:22 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDIrishFan View Post
Which brings me to my next question. Is the definition of a true believer someone who can't even acknowledge the possibility that there may be no God?

Also, are a majority of Christians simply "hedging their bets"? Someone earlier mentioned that it was a priest's response that he'd rather believe and be wrong than not believe and be wrong. But, if there is a God, I'd imagine he could see through that "fake" belief. I.e. most Christians beliefs aren't genuine.
That's the thing. Pascal's Wager just doesn't work for me.

I can't just choose to be a Christian. From all the evidence that's been presented before me, I've come to the conclusion that I just don't know. Is there a God? Maybe. Is he the Christian God? Who knows. I do know that, even if I wanted to become a Christian, there would still be significant doubt in my mind that any of this is real... deep down, I truly just wouldn't believe it. And because of that doubt- because I just can't believe with my whole mind/heart- I'd be going to hell anyways.

I'm not going to sacrifice everything that the Bible says I can't do- eat bacon, wear cotton, get a haircut, get a tattoo, work on Sunday, or have premarital sex (esp. with a condom)- in an ill-conceived "hedge-your-bets" attempt to get into heaven when I don't even believe- truly believe- that God exists.
Old 08-14-2014, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND3 View Post

I can't just choose to be a Christian. From all the evidence that's been presented before me, I've come to the conclusion that I just don't know. Is there a God? Maybe. Is he the Christian God? Who knows. I do know that, even if I wanted to become a Christian, there would still be significant doubt in my mind that any of this is real... deep down, I truly just wouldn't believe it. And because of that doubt- because I just can't believe with my whole mind/heart- I'd be going to hell anyways.

I'm not going to sacrifice everything that the Bible says I can't do- eat bacon, wear cotton, get a haircut, get a tattoo, work on Sunday, or have premarital sex (esp. with a condom)- in an ill-conceived "hedge-your-bets" attempt to get into heaven when I don't even believe- truly believe- that God exists.
You forgot one... Listening to rap music.

Tough Times Don't Last, Tough People Do!
Old 08-14-2014, 07:54 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Quote:
Wow Okie, I didn't know you had it in you. I think this thread is about answering questions and seeking the truth. The only real ire I have seen thus far or compelling pushing is when the subject of Catholicism arises. So much vitriol. I am glad you believe in Jesus and we will have an endless eternity to discuss theological differences, that is all this is really about.

My opinion is that Jesus empowered all believers to go forth and baptize in his name and make disciples of all the people of the world, you say that he founded his church on Peter (What an odd choice). Let's agree to disagree
Hey Eddie, I look forward to those discussions when we both are so much more enlightened.

Now about Peter. Yeah, he was weak. He denied Christ three times. Abraham was weak at first. So was David. But all three of these men became very strong. Peter not only worked miracles but he raised from the dead!!! In the end, Peter gave his life for Christ and for the Church just as Jesus said he would. Peter was crucified and hung upside down as he refused to be hung as was Jesus because he said he wasn't worthy. Peter became a great man and that is why he is called Saint Peter.

Did you know that the relics of St. Peter (very small pieces of his bones) are placed in the altars of the Catholic churches throughout the world. Indeed, a relic of his body is less than 50 yards from me at this moment. I moved to a house that is directly across from the Catholic church. I moved here so I can receive the body of Christ every day. It was the greatest decision I ever made. I believe this miracle is what transformed St. Peter into such a great saint. I know it has changed me immeasurably. Do a little research on the Eucharistic miracles and see if you know what Jesus is trying to say to us.

enjoy everybody's input
Old 08-14-2014, 08:12 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDIrishFan View Post

I don't know if God would call it fake belief as even Thomas had doubts until he saw with his own eyes the holes in Jesus's hands and feet. So I don't think he would punish someone who questions. I have had priest tell us that it is a very difficult thing to truly believe that the bread and wine become Jesus because it is beyond our minds ability to comprehend. I believe he was again referring to doubting Thomas and how hard it is to have full faith in the great mystery of Jesus.
But for me, I do believe and I don't think I could ever not believe.
Old 08-14-2014, 08:36 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Hey Eddie, I look forward to those discussions when we both are so much more enlightened.

Now about Peter. Yeah, he was weak. He denied Christ three times. Abraham was weak at first. So was David. But all three of these men became very strong. Peter not only worked miracles but he raised from the dead!!! In the end, Peter gave his life for Christ and for the Church just as Jesus said he would. Peter was crucified and hung upside down as he refused to be hung as was Jesus because he said he wasn't worthy. Peter became a great man and that is why he is called Saint Peter.

Did you know that the relics of St. Peter (very small pieces of his bones) are placed in the altars of the Catholic churches throughout the world. Indeed, a relic of his body is less than 50 yards from me at this moment. I moved to a house that is directly across from the Catholic church. I moved here so I can receive the body of Christ every day. It was the greatest decision I ever made. I believe this miracle is what transformed St. Peter into such a great saint. I know it has changed me immeasurably. Do a little research on the Eucharistic miracles and see if you know what Jesus is trying to say to us.

enjoy everybody's input
I know of Christ's redeeming power and I know he makes weakness strength. I know he empowered believers to perform many miracles in his absence. I just don't think he appointed a stand in before he left. But then, I wasn't there either.
Old 08-14-2014, 08:49 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
I know of Christ's redeeming power and I know he makes weakness strength. I know he empowered believers to perform many miracles in his absence. I just don't think he appointed a stand in before he left. But then, I wasn't there either.
I believe he did....the Pope
Old 08-14-2014, 08:58 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by DREWGOOSE View Post
Fair enough Agree to disagree on that one.
Old 08-14-2014, 10:59 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Quote:
Appointing a stand in is exactly how the Church understood it. They call the pope the vicar of Christ.

Jesus said there are 4 marks of His Church. These 4 marks are preserved in the Apostles Creed. The apostles Creed dates to Pentecost which is the birth of the Catholic Church.
Old 08-14-2014, 11:30 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND3 View Post

Hey C.

Do this. Just take and study the scientific results of the miracle of Lanciano. You are extremely intelligent as were the secular scientists that performed the tests. It absolutely blew them away.

Please come opening day on the 30th. Should have a great crowd.
Old 08-15-2014, 02:03 AM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Quote:
Originally Posted by DREWGOOSE View Post
It seems like some people like to give man too much credit.

John 14:15 “If you love me, keep my commands. 16 And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another advocate to help you and be with you forever— 17 the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be in you.

If you think that Jesus left the Pope as a stand in for Him you must not know the Holy Spirit as the previous verse states.
Old 08-15-2014, 03:33 AM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

I like a show on EWTN called The Journey Home. Each week they have a former protestant minister on the air that has joined the Catholic Church. There is an inordinate number of former ministers that have joined the church. In their interviews many of them mention the founding fathers as part of their journey. The first several centuries which include Polycarp through Augustine. What they discover is that the Church back then was teaching the same thing the Catholic Church teaches today.

they recognized Peter as the head of the early Church and his successors as the head of the Church after his death. They all talked about the true presence of Jesus Christ in the Eucharist. They each had a strong devotion to Our Lady. The Church has maintained its mission for 2,000 years. This is exactly what I would expect from a Church commissioned by the Almighty.
Old 08-15-2014, 05:16 AM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Default Proofs of God's Existence

Quote:
Hey C.

Do this. Just take and study the scientific results of the miracle of Lanciano. You are extremely intelligent as were the secular scientists that performed the tests. It absolutely blew them away.

Please come opening day on the 30th. Should have a great crowd.
Wow! What a topic! Tim told me about this thread and asked me to join in bc it is pretty much my favorite topic and the raison d'etre of the meaning of life. With respect to the Moderator's request that we speak of what we ourselves believe, and the most basic question is of God's existence, I will start here with what I believe.

Nature can only magnify its source. Examine the constellations, the earth, land forms of mountains, desert, jungle, and all the earths creatures from the smallest bug to the magnificent creation of man. The more we learn, the more awe inspiring the brilliant, intricate, ordered, precisely interdependent infinite systems and creatures we see. The art speaks eloquently of the Artist. And the Artist tugs at me with His amazing testimony through His art.
Old 08-15-2014, 12:25 PM
Administrator
Domer Domain Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Rose View Post
Wow! What a topic! Tim told me about this thread and asked me to join in bc it is pretty much my favorite topic and the raison d'etre of the meaning of life. With respect to the Moderator's request that we speak of what we ourselves believe, and the most basic question is of God's existence, I will start here with what I believe.

Nature can only magnify its source. Examine the constellations, the earth, land forms of mountains, desert, jungle, and all the earths creatures from the smallest bug to the magnificent creation of man. The more we learn, the more awe inspiring the brilliant, intricate, ordered, precisely interdependent infinite systems and creatures we see. The art speaks eloquently of the Artist. And the Artist tugs at me with His amazing testimony through His art.
beautifully written..............

Too much virtue is gonna hurt you!!

Clarity
The moment when you realize the preseason polls were wrong. Again.

ASBC!!!!!!
Old 08-15-2014, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfschellcrna View Post
beautifully written..............
Agreed. Very beautiful indeed Cynthia!

All in all, I wanted to quickly thank everyone on this thread for keep everything civil. That is quite impressive.

Also, just give everyone a little background on my journey. I grew up as an AF kid living all around the world. I had normal parents who took me to the base Protestant church maybe a few times a year. Growing up and still, I love to learn and get as much information as I could on interesting subjects. My interest in Catholicism started as a young teenager watching EWTN. I saw a mass on TV. Had never seen it before. I was amazed at the beauty and power of the service and the passion and commitment of the worshipers. Literally all of them on their knees praying and serving. This peaked my interest at the time.

In my 20s, I was a pretty hard partyer and was way too busy too go to Church and serve God. However, that changed for good recently. I decided to join the Church and have never looked back. It was a 9 month program, and I was baptized last April in front of close friends and family. I love being a member of the Church. I have never felt closer to God and more confident about my faith. I plead for all atheists/agnostics to simply consider Christ in your life. Realizing that this man did live, perform miracles, teach all of us how to live, pray, and act, and ultimately die for our sins.

Catholic or not, he is truly the truth, light, and the way. Those who don't believe are setting themselves up for eternal damnation. There is no doubt in my mind that all atheists are concerned about this, as professed earlier by some. Christ will give you a better, more confident and happier life with eternal life with him. He spoke repeatedly about the joys of heaven. He isn't discussing this for his health. But for YOUR and my benefit and everyone's. There is a lot more to this life than what is happening now in the 21st century. A deep appreciation and understanding for Christ, his life, and the spreading of Christianity are hard to resist when analyzed fervently and with sufficient effort. Remove that doubt and give yourself to God and his son.
Old 08-15-2014, 12:53 PM
Administrator
Domer Domain Legend

We have pretty good word purveyors here at DD! Agree with the statement(s) above...

Old 08-15-2014, 02:28 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Quote:
We have pretty good word purveyors here at DD! Agree with the statement(s) above...
I wish I could write as beautifully as the above as I recognize it as a gift.

I would just like to point out something that we all have, and I mean everyone on the planet. There is a gift God gave us called the conscience. When we do something wrong our conscience lets us know about it. That is a direct connection to God. He does exist and he lets us know it in many ways.

But beware. As we commit a sin over and over our conscience becomes more quiet and eventually it becomes dead. Yes, we can actually murder our conscience but we can get it back. In Catholicism it happens when we make a good confession. In fact it comes roaring back and will bring you to tears when you feel the grace of forgiveness. Don't forget, Jesus gathered His apostles, breathed into them the Holy Spirit and told them to forgive sins. This great gift is passed down through the ages by the laying of hands.

The conscience is universal and crosses every segment of society and is just another proof of our good God.
Old 08-15-2014, 03:37 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

HOW OLD IS YOUR CHURCH?If you are a Lutheran, your religion was founded by Martin Luther, an ex-monk of the Catholic Church, in the year 1517.
If you belong to the Church of England, your religion was founded by King Henry VIII in the year 1534 because the Pope would not grant him a divorce with the right to remarry.
If you are a Presbyterian, your religion was founded by John Knox in Scotland in the year 1560.
If you are a Congregationalist, your religion was originated by Robert Brown in
Holland in 1582.
If you are a Baptist, you owe the tenets of your religion to John Smyth, who launched it in Amsterdam in 1605.
If you are of the Dutch Reformed Church, you recognize Michelis Jones as founder, because he originated your religion in New York in 1628.
If you are a Protestant Episcopalian, your religion was an offshoot of the Church of England founded by Samuel Seabury in the American colonies in the 17th century.
If you are a Methodist, your religion was launched by John and Charles Wesley in England in 1744.
If you are a Unitarian, Theophilus Lindley founded your church in London in 1774.
If you are a Mormon (Latter Day Saints), Joseph Smith started your religion in
Palmyra, N.Y., in 1829.
If you worship with the Salvation Army, your sect began with William Booth in
London in 1865.
If you are a Christian Scientist, you look to 1879 as the year in which your religion was born, and to Mrs. Mary Baker Eddy as its founder.
If you belong to one of the religious organizations known as “Pentecostal Gospel”, “Church of the Nazarene”, “Holiness Church”, “Pilgrim Holiness Church”, or “Jehovah’s Witnesses”, your religion is one of the hundreds of new sects founded by men within the past century.
If you are Catholic, you know that your religion was founded in the year 33
by Jesus Christ the Son of God, and it is still the same Church.
Alleluia Project of Oklahoma … PO Box 15376, Oklahoma City, OK 73155
Old 08-15-2014, 04:59 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
I like a show on EWTN called The Journey Home. Each week they have a former protestant minister on the air that has joined the Catholic Church. There is an inordinate number of former ministers that have joined the church. In their interviews many of them mention the founding fathers as part of their journey. The first several centuries which include Polycarp through Augustine. What they discover is that the Church back then was teaching the same thing the Catholic Church teaches today.

they recognized Peter as the head of the early Church and his successors as the head of the Church after his death. They all talked about the true presence of Jesus Christ in the Eucharist. They each had a strong devotion to Our Lady. The Church has maintained its mission for 2,000 years. This is exactly what I would expect from a Church commissioned by the Almighty.
I don't think that the public joining of the Catholic church by former protestants is very compelling given the number of personal testimonies I have heard from "recovering" Catholics. I think it best to say that every religion and every sect of every religion has people who realize that the path they are on is not the path for them regardless of whether they were right or wrong it he first place.
Old 08-15-2014, 07:38 PM

Quote:
I don't think that the public joining of the Catholic church by former protestants is very compelling given the number of personal testimonies I have heard from "recovering" Catholics. I think it best to say that every religion and every sect of every religion has people who realize that the path they are on is not the path for them regardless of whether they were right or wrong it he first place.
agreed. I do not believe this was intended to be a "Catholic vs Protestant" thread that it has become.

O'Gianino omits the politics that lead Luther to break from the Catholic church. He risked his life to do so based on the practices that were nowhere to be found in the Bible (selling indulgences, receiving forgiveness from man and not directly through God and Jesus, etc)

just my opinion but further illustrates why I love the church my family attends. I'm glad that other's feel the same way but respect is nice, among fellow Christians no less, lol

Last edited by Scotty88; 08-15-2014 at 07:42 PM.
Old 08-15-2014, 09:04 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Quote:
My point Eddie is that the further along you get studying Protestanism the closer you get to Catholicism. Just no answers to be found concerning the body and blood, the chair of Peter, the pillar and foundation of Truth and how the Holy Spirit keeps the Church infallible in its teaching. In Protestantism you have constant contradiction as they stand on both sides of the fence in every single issue (abortion, gay marriage, birth control, death penalty....etc...etc....etc....

That alone discounts them as the Truth. The master of Deceit is the one that divides us or denominates us. The Catholic Church is not a denomination. Denomination means division which is the mission of the demons. If there were denominations or divisions in the teachings of the Catholic Church then it could not in any way be the truth or the pillar and foundation of Truth.