Notre Dame Football News And Talk  

Come check out the news feed! DD Front Page

Go Back   Notre Dame Football News And Talk > Message Board > Recruiting Board

Old 06-26-2019, 08:09 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Default 2020 MA WR Jay Brunelle is Irish

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 06-26-2019, 08:18 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

247 Composite: 3-star, #824 overall, #138 WR

247: 3-star, #724 overall, #125 WR

Rivals: 3-star, Not Ranked

Offers: Boston College, Michigan, Rutgers, UCLA, Wake Forest, West Virginia
Old 06-26-2019, 08:25 PM
Domer Domain Freshman

These should all go up - right? Wasn't this the guy that dominated at the invasion?
Old 06-26-2019, 08:45 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Underrated recruit. Ran a 4.5 40 and had a 38 inch vertical at the Opening. Had a 126 Opening score in testing, which is very good. A better score than 2019 recruit Kenyatta Watson who was a very high 4 star safety that picked Texas over the Irish last year.

Definitely has major athletic traits. Lets see if they can make him a football player.

https://irishsportsdaily.com/s/9279/...-talks-opening

Last edited by PJackson'sDred15; 06-26-2019 at 08:56 PM.
Old 06-26-2019, 08:56 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishrush View Post
These should all go up - right? Wasn't this the guy that dominated at the invasion?
He was widely considered the top performer, but there wasn't a ton of elite defensive back talent there this year. As mentioned above, he tested extremely well at The Opening Regionals, and his SPARQ score placed him in the Top 20 nationally (according to Tom Loy from Irish Illustrated).

I think he is properly rated as a 3-star. He doesn't play great competition in Mass, doesn't have great size, and it sounds like he really struggled catching the football at a UCLA camp recently (although UCLA still offered). I always go by the offer lists (which is why everyone knew Kyle Hamilton was closer to a 5-star than a 3-star when he committed last spring), and it tells me that he is properly rated as a mid-level 3-star. He has the speed and athleticism, so he could definitely prove people wrong, though.
Old 06-26-2019, 09:11 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tneun89 View Post
He was widely considered the top performer, but there wasn't a ton of elite defensive back talent there this year. As mentioned above, he tested extremely well at The Opening Regionals, and his SPARQ score placed him in the Top 20 nationally (according to Tom Loy from Irish Illustrated).

I think he is properly rated as a 3-star. He doesn't play great competition in Mass, doesn't have great size, and it sounds like he really struggled catching the football at a UCLA camp recently (although UCLA still offered). I always go by the offer lists (which is why everyone knew Kyle Hamilton was closer to a 5-star than a 3-star when he committed last spring), and it tells me that he is properly rated as a mid-level 3-star. He has the speed and athleticism, so he could definitely prove people wrong, though.

The top 20 Sparq score in the country makes him at least a low 4 star in my book. There are like 300+ 4 stars these days. He is 6'1 200 pounds, plenty big. Looks like a strong kid. I'm not sure who he plays matters. He cant control that. He clearly has elite athleticism and will get coached up at ND. Will take a 3 star with elite athletic traits over a 4 star with average traits any day. Go Irish
Old 06-26-2019, 09:24 PM
Domer Domain All American

this is fairly recent video i believe

Keep That Fighting Spirit

"Let me see you disrespect me now, when my face is to ya" Lou Holtz

Resident video nerd and DomerDomain MVP since 2011
Old 06-26-2019, 10:41 PM

Love this kid and glad he ended up being a take, even if it was because losing McMillan. Straight baller.
Old 06-27-2019, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LasVegasIrish View Post
Love this kid and glad he ended up being a take, even if it was because losing McMillan. Straight baller.
I do wish he was the 3rd or 4th WR in this class with Johnson and McMillan being the top two. Watts better not swap to Nebraska.
Old 06-27-2019, 05:06 AM

Old 06-27-2019, 03:34 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big23Head View Post
I do wish he was the 3rd or 4th WR in this class with Johnson and McMillan being the top two. Watts better not swap to Nebraska.
I agree with this. Not trying to knock Brunelle - he appears to have the athleticism to potentially be a player at ND - but he didn't even have a committable offer three or four days ago. ND failed to get two of their biggest targets at WR - McMillan and Henning - and what's even worse is that Henning is a player ND should get 10/10 times due to profile, location, etc. Again, not trying to knock Brunelle because he seems like a solid 3-star prospect, but there is a reason why ND slow-played him and his offer list consists only of Michigan, UCLA and a few lower P5 schools.
Old 06-27-2019, 04:12 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Send a message via AIM to ColinKSU

He seems properly rated to me. But he does have some athletic traits that could make me see him eventually developing to a four-star level. But right now, he makes total sense as a mid-range three-star.
Old 06-27-2019, 04:37 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

certainly not saying he will change positions. But his athleticism could possibly lend itself to safety or rover if wr does not work out. His attributes seem close to tranquillís a couple years back.

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospec...ranquill-26635
Old 06-27-2019, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tneun89 View Post
I agree with this. Not trying to knock Brunelle - he appears to have the athleticism to potentially be a player at ND - but he didn't even have a committable offer three or four days ago. ND failed to get two of their biggest targets at WR - McMillan and Henning - and what's even worse is that Henning is a player ND should get 10/10 times due to profile, location, etc. Again, not trying to knock Brunelle because he seems like a solid 3-star prospect, but there is a reason why ND slow-played him and his offer list consists only of Michigan, UCLA and a few lower P5 schools.
Yeah. I can understand the pause on Henning due to his injuries but they ultimately did keep him a priority and lost. Hopefully they land Watts and Offord then take recruiting into the season.
Old 06-27-2019, 05:35 PM

Land Watts and I love this WR class. ND feels he is a top 150 type talent and itís hard to disagree. Losing McMillan and Henning sucks but thatís recruiting. You donít land everyone you want, but theyíve done a really good job of landing the guys at the top of their board at the majority of positions. Watts is definitely near the top of their board. Johnson, Watts and Brunelle adds a lot of intrigue and upside to the roster moving forward.

This is obviously a positive spin on recruiting, but I donít tend to dwell in the negatives. I donít see the need to do unless stuff is just outright unacceptably bad. Thatís not at all the case here.
Old 07-01-2019, 07:29 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinKSU View Post
He seems properly rated to me. But he does have some athletic traits that could make me see him eventually developing to a four-star level. But right now, he makes total sense as a mid-range three-star.
Agree. Think we caught lightning in the bottle with this commit.
He will be Chris Finke's replacement down the road in the slot.
Great hands and good speed! Go Irish!
Old 07-01-2019, 09:18 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Dont see him in slot. More straight line speed guy. Doesnt have side to side wiggle really at all