Notre Dame Football News And Talk  


Come check out the news feed! DD Front Page

Go Back   Notre Dame Football News And Talk > Message Board > Open Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-07-2018, 11:15 PM
davislove's Avatar
davislove davislove is offline
Senior Member
Domer Domain All American
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 5,234
Default Nope. Still don't get it.

I have collectively watched Kill Bill and the Hateful 8 at least 200 times.

That said, i just don't get Pulp Fiction. A lot of people i know think it's the greatest thing ever made. It does nothing for me.

Glad i got that off of my chest.
__________________
A couple news stories don't represent a whole population of people.

FaithInIrishForever--March 21, 2017
Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

  #2  
Old 04-07-2018, 11:23 PM
Handsome Jack Handsome Jack is offline
Junior Member
Domer Domain Freshman
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 982
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by davislove View Post
I have collectively watched Kill Bill and the Hateful 8 at least 200 times.

That said, i just don't get Pulp Fiction. A lot of people i know think it's the greatest thing ever made. It does nothing for me.

Glad i got that off of my chest.
It was just unique in it's cross section storylines and non linear time frame.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-08-2018, 01:10 AM
coltssb coltssb is online now
Member
Domer Domain Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 4,105
Default

Itís about the writing and the characters nailed it. Might be Samuel Jacksonís best part. The path of the righteous man....
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-08-2018, 01:41 AM
jessemoore97 jessemoore97 is offline
Member
Domer Domain Junior
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Cedar Rapids, IA
Posts: 3,620
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltssb View Post
Itís about the writing and the characters nailed it. Might be Samuel Jacksonís best part. The path of the righteous man....
Really? I thought his best work was being the robber in Coming to America. 😁
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-08-2018, 01:46 AM
jessemoore97 jessemoore97 is offline
Member
Domer Domain Junior
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Cedar Rapids, IA
Posts: 3,620
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by davislove View Post
I have collectively watched Kill Bill and the Hateful 8 at least 200 times.

That said, i just don't get Pulp Fiction. A lot of people i know think it's the greatest thing ever made. It does nothing for me.

Glad i got that off of my chest.
I watched Hateful 8 not too long ago, to me it was meh. I used to really like PF back in the day. I saw it in the theater and was lmao during the OD scene, one of the few who was too. Walkins scene with the watch is pretty classic as well.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-08-2018, 06:38 PM
Synoptico Synoptico is offline
Junior Member
Domer Domain Junior
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,001
Default

It is just as much as how revolutionary it was at the time, ala Citizen Kane.

Watching Citizen Kane today isn't nearly as impressive because it revolutionized the industry and all the unique things have been used ever since.

With Pulp Fiction, a movie like momento, wouldnt have been made
__________________
Please consider supporting Make A Wish and my fundraising goal.
http://site.wish.org/site/TR/Friends...pwtf1qqgjf0nn1

Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-08-2018, 07:07 PM
davislove's Avatar
davislove davislove is offline
Senior Member
Domer Domain All American
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 5,234
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemoore97 View Post
I watched Hateful 8 not too long ago, to me it was meh. I used to really like PF back in the day. I saw it in the theater and was lmao during the OD scene, one of the few who was too. Walkins scene with the watch is pretty classic as well.
I know you must get tired of me bringing up your work but what is your favorite cop television show?

Everyone feel free to chime in. Official thread hijack in session.
__________________
A couple news stories don't represent a whole population of people.

FaithInIrishForever--March 21, 2017
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-08-2018, 08:59 PM
jessemoore97 jessemoore97 is offline
Member
Domer Domain Junior
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Cedar Rapids, IA
Posts: 3,620
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by davislove View Post
I know you must get tired of me bringing up your work but what is your favorite cop television show?

Everyone feel free to chime in. Official thread hijack in session.
Gosh, I don't know if I really have a favorite. I don't watch much prime time TV or series at all. I used to like NYPD Blue, which I think came out when I was in college. I sorta followed the Shield for a bit too. I actually just started watching the Netflix series Flint last night after some coworkers were talking about it. I don't feel so bad when I bitch about my department compared to their mess.

I think movies are quoted more than anything else with the guys I work on shift with. Even though it's completely outrageous Supertroopers is pretty funny, and I know a sequel is coming out this month. Amongst us older guys Police Academy is still fondly remembered, even though many of us were kids when the original came out.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-08-2018, 10:26 PM
davislove's Avatar
davislove davislove is offline
Senior Member
Domer Domain All American
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 5,234
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemoore97 View Post
Gosh, I don't know if I really have a favorite. I don't watch much prime time TV or series at all. I used to like NYPD Blue, which I think came out when I was in college. I sorta followed the Shield for a bit too. I actually just started watching the Netflix series Flint last night after some coworkers were talking about it. I don't feel so bad when I bitch about my department compared to their mess.

I think movies are quoted more than anything else with the guys I work on shift with. Even though it's completely outrageous Supertroopers is pretty funny, and I know a sequel is coming out this month. Amongst us older guys Police Academy is still fondly remembered, even though many of us were kids when the original came out.
The shield may be my all time favorite show. I was gonna wait for someone else to mention it first. It didn't take very long. I like chicago pd, which is like a watered down network shield, but still ok.

Speaking of the more sillier shows. If i were stranded on an island, the reno 911 box set would be my selection if i had one show to watch. If you liked the naked gun you should try angie tribeca.
__________________
A couple news stories don't represent a whole population of people.

FaithInIrishForever--March 21, 2017
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-08-2018, 11:01 PM
Jim2Dokes Jim2Dokes is offline
Junior Member
Domer Domain Sophomore
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,053
Default

Reno 911 is so good! Anyways to the topic, QT movies are all about the dialogue, great one liners and meaningless stories. I mean he made a McDonald’s burger a focal point of the movie. Kill Bill is the bees knees though, awesome revenge story. Many revenge stories out there, but none better than kill bill. The way he tied a western and Japanese King fu movie together, great. The highlight of his movies are always the actors brining their best work from Waltz, DiCaprio, Jackson, Pitt etc etc.

Last edited by Jim2Dokes; 04-08-2018 at 11:03 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-09-2018, 12:21 PM
jessemoore97 jessemoore97 is offline
Member
Domer Domain Junior
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Cedar Rapids, IA
Posts: 3,620
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by davislove View Post
The shield may be my all time favorite show. I was gonna wait for someone else to mention it first. It didn't take very long. I like chicago pd, which is like a watered down network shield, but still ok.

Speaking of the more sillier shows. If i were stranded on an island, the reno 911 box set would be my selection if i had one show to watch. If you liked the naked gun you should try angie tribeca.
Ahhh heck I totally forgot the Naked Gun! Loved the first movie and don't thinked I stopped laughing once first time I saw it.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-09-2018, 09:24 PM
EddieAngel's Avatar
EddieAngel EddieAngel is offline
Member
Domer Domain Junior
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,726
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim2Dokes View Post
Reno 911 is so good! Anyways to the topic, QT movies are all about the dialogue, great one liners and meaningless stories. I mean he made a McDonaldís burger a focal point of the movie. Kill Bill is the bees knees though, awesome revenge story. Many revenge stories out there, but none better than kill bill. The way he tied a western and Japanese King fu movie together, great. The highlight of his movies are always the actors brining their best work from Waltz, DiCaprio, Jackson, Pitt etc etc.
Ditto on Reno 911, and in that vein Super Troopers 2 is just a few short weeks away.

I am surprised no one has mentioned the soundtrack to Pulp Fiction. But as you said Tarantino's early movies are all just random small stories bludgeoned together with funny quirky one liners to bridge the gaps. Hateful 8 and Kill Bill are more mature (I guess) examples of his work. Resevoir Dogs and Four Rooms are both similar to Pulp Fiction in pacing and structure, but you can see a difference in his style between those early films and his later films.

Not to soap box, but it really doesn't seem like he can just make one single film, it always has to be a thousand tiny threads (Towlie) that come together in a "Look at how clever I am" kind of way.

Come to think of it, I don't even like Tarantino. Dangit. Oh well.
__________________
"Little things used to mean so much to Shelly- I used to think they were kind of trivial. Believe me, nothing is trivial." --Eric Draven, The Crow
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-11-2018, 11:16 AM
Rocketsan's Avatar
Rocketsan Rocketsan is offline
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 17,752
Default

Everyone raves about The Friends Of Eddie Coyle... I love cinema...was bored and took me three watches to get through it. Same with Deadpool. I’ve started it four times and can’t get through the first twenty mins...
__________________
http://imageshack.com/a/img546/3410/0at9.jpg
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Also visit IrishEnvy, our Notre Dame Football partner site

All times are GMT. The time now is 06:08 AM.

Last Updated: September 18, 2019

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.