Notre Dame Football News And Talk  

Come check out the news feed! DD Front Page

Go Back   Notre Dame Football News And Talk > Message Board > Open Forum

Old 04-07-2018, 11:15 PM
Domer Domain All American

Default Nope. Still don't get it.

I have collectively watched Kill Bill and the Hateful 8 at least 200 times.

That said, i just don't get Pulp Fiction. A lot of people i know think it's the greatest thing ever made. It does nothing for me.

Glad i got that off of my chest.

FaithInIrishForever--March 21, 2017

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 04-07-2018, 11:23 PM
Domer Domain Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by davislove View Post

That said, i just don't get Pulp Fiction. A lot of people i know think it's the greatest thing ever made. It does nothing for me.

It was just unique in it's cross section storylines and non linear time frame.
Old 04-08-2018, 01:10 AM
Domer Domain Veteran

Itís about the writing and the characters nailed it. Might be Samuel Jacksonís best part. The path of the righteous man....
Old 04-08-2018, 01:41 AM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltssb View Post
Itís about the writing and the characters nailed it. Might be Samuel Jacksonís best part. The path of the righteous man....
Really? I thought his best work was being the robber in Coming to America. 😁
Old 04-08-2018, 01:46 AM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:

I watched Hateful 8 not too long ago, to me it was meh. I used to really like PF back in the day. I saw it in the theater and was lmao during the OD scene, one of the few who was too. Walkins scene with the watch is pretty classic as well.
Old 04-08-2018, 06:38 PM
Domer Domain Junior

It is just as much as how revolutionary it was at the time, ala Citizen Kane.

Watching Citizen Kane today isn't nearly as impressive because it revolutionized the industry and all the unique things have been used ever since.

With Pulp Fiction, a movie like momento, wouldnt have been made

Old 04-08-2018, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemoore97 View Post
I watched Hateful 8 not too long ago, to me it was meh. I used to really like PF back in the day. I saw it in the theater and was lmao during the OD scene, one of the few who was too. Walkins scene with the watch is pretty classic as well.
I know you must get tired of me bringing up your work but what is your favorite cop television show?

Everyone feel free to chime in. Official thread hijack in session.

Old 04-08-2018, 08:59 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
I know you must get tired of me bringing up your work but what is your favorite cop television show?

Everyone feel free to chime in. Official thread hijack in session.
Gosh, I don't know if I really have a favorite. I don't watch much prime time TV or series at all. I used to like NYPD Blue, which I think came out when I was in college. I sorta followed the Shield for a bit too. I actually just started watching the Netflix series Flint last night after some coworkers were talking about it. I don't feel so bad when I bitch about my department compared to their mess.

I think movies are quoted more than anything else with the guys I work on shift with. Even though it's completely outrageous Supertroopers is pretty funny, and I know a sequel is coming out this month. Amongst us older guys Police Academy is still fondly remembered, even though many of us were kids when the original came out.
Old 04-08-2018, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemoore97 View Post
Gosh, I don't know if I really have a favorite. I don't watch much prime time TV or series at all. I used to like NYPD Blue, which I think came out when I was in college. I sorta followed the Shield for a bit too. I actually just started watching the Netflix series Flint last night after some coworkers were talking about it. I don't feel so bad when I bitch about my department compared to their mess.

I think movies are quoted more than anything else with the guys I work on shift with. Even though it's completely outrageous Supertroopers is pretty funny, and I know a sequel is coming out this month. Amongst us older guys Police Academy is still fondly remembered, even though many of us were kids when the original came out.
The shield may be my all time favorite show. I was gonna wait for someone else to mention it first. It didn't take very long. I like chicago pd, which is like a watered down network shield, but still ok.

Speaking of the more sillier shows. If i were stranded on an island, the reno 911 box set would be my selection if i had one show to watch. If you liked the naked gun you should try angie tribeca.

Old 04-08-2018, 11:01 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Reno 911 is so good! Anyways to the topic, QT movies are all about the dialogue, great one liners and meaningless stories. I mean he made a McDonald’s burger a focal point of the movie. Kill Bill is the bees knees though, awesome revenge story. Many revenge stories out there, but none better than kill bill. The way he tied a western and Japanese King fu movie together, great. The highlight of his movies are always the actors brining their best work from Waltz, DiCaprio, Jackson, Pitt etc etc.

Last edited by Jim2Dokes; 04-08-2018 at 11:03 PM.
Old 04-09-2018, 12:21 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
The shield may be my all time favorite show. I was gonna wait for someone else to mention it first. It didn't take very long. I like chicago pd, which is like a watered down network shield, but still ok.

Speaking of the more sillier shows. If i were stranded on an island, the reno 911 box set would be my selection if i had one show to watch. If you liked the naked gun you should try angie tribeca.
Ahhh heck I totally forgot the Naked Gun! Loved the first movie and don't thinked I stopped laughing once first time I saw it.
Old 04-09-2018, 09:24 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim2Dokes View Post
Reno 911 is so good! Anyways to the topic, QT movies are all about the dialogue, great one liners and meaningless stories. I mean he made a McDonaldís burger a focal point of the movie. Kill Bill is the bees knees though, awesome revenge story. Many revenge stories out there, but none better than kill bill. The way he tied a western and Japanese King fu movie together, great. The highlight of his movies are always the actors brining their best work from Waltz, DiCaprio, Jackson, Pitt etc etc.
Ditto on Reno 911, and in that vein Super Troopers 2 is just a few short weeks away.

I am surprised no one has mentioned the soundtrack to Pulp Fiction. But as you said Tarantino's early movies are all just random small stories bludgeoned together with funny quirky one liners to bridge the gaps. Hateful 8 and Kill Bill are more mature (I guess) examples of his work. Resevoir Dogs and Four Rooms are both similar to Pulp Fiction in pacing and structure, but you can see a difference in his style between those early films and his later films.

Not to soap box, but it really doesn't seem like he can just make one single film, it always has to be a thousand tiny threads (Towlie) that come together in a "Look at how clever I am" kind of way.

Come to think of it, I don't even like Tarantino. Dangit. Oh well.
Old 04-11-2018, 11:16 AM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Everyone raves about The Friends Of Eddie Coyle... I love cinema...was bored and took me three watches to get through it. Same with Deadpool. I’ve started it four times and can’t get through the first twenty mins...