Notre Dame Football News And Talk  

Come check out the news feed! DD Front Page

Go Back   Notre Dame Football News And Talk > Message Board > Recruiting Board

Old 08-18-2013, 02:45 AM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Default Tranquill will be elite linebacker for Irish

Yeah, I know, he's still committed to Purdue, but he visited this week and I feel pretty good we are going to steal him. He can truly be an elite linebacker in the middle. Holtz would move big safeties to linebacker and it worked wonders. What we want is speed and athleticism and obviously Tranquill has both. He won't be a 250 pounder but he will be 235 and can flat out run. In the day of the spread offenses and pistols this is the way to go. I say Tranquill will be Irish.

He will be coming to the Purdue game and we need to clock them. Who the heck wants to be a boilermaker?? The world has enough pimples.

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 08-18-2013, 03:13 AM
Administrator
Domer Domain Legend

Why are we starting a thread for this when we are clearly addressing this exact subject in the "2014 Recruiting Thread"? Just wondering.

"
If we were in the wild, I would attack u. Even if u weren’t in my food chain, I would go out of my way to attack u!" ~Manti Teo

Old 08-18-2013, 03:13 AM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OklahomaIrish View Post
Yeah, I know, he's still committed to Purdue, but he visited this week and I feel pretty good we are going to steal him. He can truly be an elite linebacker in the middle. Holtz would move big safeties to linebacker and it worked wonders. What we want is speed and athleticism and obviously Tranquill has both. He won't be a 250 pounder but he will be 235 and can flat out run. In the day of the spread offenses and pistols this is the way to go. I say Tranquill will be Irish.

He will be coming to the Purdue game and we need to clock them. Who the heck wants to be a boilermaker?? The world has enough pimples.
I dunno. Seems like Dan Fox 2.0 to me. Fox played against better competition in HS then Tranquill as well. If he ends up having a career like Fox's that would be sufficient...
Old 08-18-2013, 05:11 AM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedsterX View Post
Why are we starting a thread for this when we are clearly addressing this exact subject in the "2014 Recruiting Thread"? Just wondering.
We address *every* subject in that thread, so I think it's reasonable to split off here and there.

That said, "elite"? The odds are against him. I'll take "solid" or "very good" from a kid like him (assuming he ends up Irish).
Old 08-18-2013, 05:43 AM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackIrish42 View Post
I dunno. Seems like Dan Fox 2.0 to me. Fox played against better competition in HS then Tranquill as well. If he ends up having a career like Fox's that would be sufficient...
Can't project how fast he'll be at ILB size but Tranquill is a freak athlete right now. 4.5 flat in the 40 and crazy shuttle/3 cone times at 205ish lbs. Far more athletic than Fox but there's obviously a projection to be made once he adds 30 lbs.
Old 08-18-2013, 05:59 AM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl_irish03 View Post
Can't project how fast he'll be at ILB size but Tranquill is a freak athlete right now. 4.5 flat in the 40 and crazy shuttle/3 cone times at 205ish lbs. Far more athletic than Fox but there's obviously a projection to be made once he adds 30 lbs.
BlackIrish is right: Tranquill looks like Dan Fox 2.0, though as BlackIrish says, Fox played safety against much better competition while at Ignatius and he was a track star there as well. Tranquill has tested well at combines, but what is more telling, in my opinion, is the lack of any truly elite offers (aside from ND). If he were the athletic stud that his numbers indicate, I think his offer list would look different. I think he makes a good addition to our team's depth and could end up playing behind Deeb.
Old 08-18-2013, 12:46 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

235 pound linebackers have difficulty tackling the Eddie Lacey's of the world.

We are proud of our linebacking corp but we need better linebacker recruits. All of them can't be hybrids or projects. We need one Jaylon or better (and I say better because he isn't by definition pure LB.) every recruiting class.

National Champions don't have "projects". I don't mean to sound arrogant but its true.
Old 08-18-2013, 02:41 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Quote:
Originally Posted by roarcity269 View Post
235 pound linebackers have difficulty tackling the Eddie Lacey's of the world.

We are proud of our linebacking corp but we need better linebacker recruits. All of them can't be hybrids or projects. We need one Jaylon or better (and I say better because he isn't by definition pure LB.) every recruiting class.

National Champions don't have "projects". I don't mean to sound arrogant but its true.
I don't think this means you don't take guys like Tranquill for depth, but in principle, I agree with what you're saying. Our linebackers are not as big as they could be (except for perhaps Carlo and Okwara), and even Jaylon Smith looks surprisingly short in the UND practice videos.
Old 08-18-2013, 03:31 PM
Domer Domain All American

Is anyone else a little concerned about his offer list? Many Big X schools didn't even offer. Other than us, Purdue is, arguably, his most impressive offer. I realize the staff is seeking a certain type of player for sure, though. I kind of wonder if his recent offer is more due to the potential lack of depth at some positions Tranquill can play. Either way, if Brian Kelly wants him, I want him. The visit went well, and a flip is certainly possible but far from guaranteed.
Old 08-18-2013, 04:14 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Every school has 'projects', even Alabama. We want guys that can run. Speed kills. It worked for Holtz with guys like Tatum (can somebody else remember the rest of his name, I think it was Kinam Tatum). Everyone has shortcomings in recruiting. This is how you fill the gap. If Tranquill can hit 235 or 240 like Longo has suggested and keep that 4.5 speed he could be something special. Dan Fox is 240.

We aren't going to hit the home run or sure deal with every recruit, it is the ability to put people where they can be the most effective that separates Kelly from others. This is what great coaches do. Bennet Jackson moved to corner and so did Russell. We want speed and athleticism and we can work on the size. Zorich moved from linebacker to nose and became a beast instead of a slow linebacker. Alton Maiden, Grant Irons, and many others made a move to increase speed and athleticism.

Now this won't show dividends for two or three years and a redshirt year is essential, but I smell a big time linebacker down the road.

Here's what Holtz did. He moved tight ends to offensive tackle (Andy Heck) became an All American instead of a very average tight end. He moved linebackers to defensive end (Jim Flannigan became a household name. And of course he moved safeties to linebackers)
Old 08-18-2013, 04:47 PM

Quote:

What potential ND recruit you haven't called elite?
Old 08-18-2013, 05:44 PM
Domer Domain Freshman

90% of high school seniors are projects.
Old 08-18-2013, 05:45 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

If Tranquill starts for us, then we are not doin our job in recruiting and we are fallin behind elite football schools
Old 08-18-2013, 07:21 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by davislove View Post
What potential ND recruit you haven't called elite?
I have called on some 3 star players and they have all showed up. They include Tyler Eifert, Bennet Jackson, Mathias Farley and Corey Robinson. For the future I have named Rashad Kinlaw, Devin Butler and now Tranquill. Some of these players added the 4th star after I singled them out. That would be Butler and Robinson. Not going to quit the predictions as long as I am nailing them davislove. You are free to do the same.
Old 08-18-2013, 07:51 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Quote:
Every school has 'projects', even Alabama. We want guys that can run. Speed kills. It worked for Holtz with guys like Tatum (can somebody else remember the rest of his name, I think it was Kinam Tatum). Everyone has shortcomings in recruiting. This is how you fill the gap. If Tranquill can hit 235 or 240 like Longo has suggested and keep that 4.5 speed he could be something special. Dan Fox is 240.

We aren't going to hit the home run or sure deal with every recruit, it is the ability to put people where they can be the most effective that separates Kelly from others. This is what great coaches do. Bennet Jackson moved to corner and so did Russell. We want speed and athleticism and we can work on the size. Zorich moved from linebacker to nose and became a beast instead of a slow linebacker. Alton Maiden, Grant Irons, and many others made a move to increase speed and athleticism.

Now this won't show dividends for two or three years and a redshirt year is essential, but I smell a big time linebacker down the road.

Here's what Holtz did. He moved tight ends to offensive tackle (Andy Heck) became an All American instead of a very average tight end. He moved linebackers to defensive end (Jim Flannigan became a household name. And of course he moved safeties to linebackers)
Care to list the last project Bama had who started over players in their uber stables? I'm talking about a player with a bama offer and virtually no others. I don't recall any. I have no issue with offers like this because they are intended to provide depth and to challenge the 1st team in practice. Saying a guy whose best offer is Purdue will end up elite is reckless and dumbfounding.
"If a believer demands that I, as a nonbeliever, observe his taboos in the public domain, he is not asking for my respect, but for my submission. And that is incompatible with a secular democracy." - Flemming Rose
Old 08-18-2013, 09:26 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Let's discuss him if he actually commits to us, but until then not sure why there is such commotion.
Old 08-18-2013, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianKellyTheMan View Post
Let's discuss him if he actually commits to us, but until then not sure why there is such commotion.
Due to the fact that he's somewhat of a controversial instate offer. His only other respectable offer is Purdue. Also, there is chatter about him due to recent injury/depth issues at Tranquill's respective position.
Old 08-19-2013, 12:51 AM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo88 View Post
Care to list the last project Bama had who started over players in their uber stables? I'm talking about a player with a bama offer and virtually no others. I don't recall any. I have no issue with offers like this because they are intended to provide depth and to challenge the 1st team in practice. Saying a guy whose best offer is Purdue will end up elite is reckless and dumbfounding.
Time will tell Echo. I base this on his speed and athleticism and moving to a position that he will be elite in speed instead of ordinary at safety. Manti ran about a 4.7. I've watched OU do this is the past with guys like George Cumby, he ran a 4.5 and became an All American. Very similar athlete to this kid. History repeats itself over and over and I have been taking notes for a long long time. Stand by my prediction as i do with Butler, Corey Robinson and Rashad Kinlaw. When I start laying eggs I'll be glad to shut up. Until then, this is another prediction.

Also predicted that 3 star lineman Tony Springmann would see the field early and he did so. Jury is still out on him and now he has a major injury, but I expected good improvement from his redshirt freshman year.

Last edited by OklahomaIrish; 08-19-2013 at 12:55 AM.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:15 AM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Quote:
Chance Warmack and Vinnie Sunseri fit this mold for the most part. Both 3*s with small offer lists, though Warmack had a couple other SEC offers, Sunseri was mostly Big East schools.

3*s are fine if you make them beat out 4 and 5*s, which they will on occasion. They aren't good if you are expecting them to be starters.

Alabama pulls 5-6 3*s a year, but when look at the names, only 2-3 jump out as players over a 4 year span. The rest of the team are 4-5* studs. That is how it should be. Let the occasional diamond on the rough appear, but don't count on them.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:30 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
http://rivals.yahoo.com/alabama/foot...-Sunseri-96049

http://rivals.yahoo.com/alabama/foot...r-Arenas-47533

http://rivals.yahoo.com/alabama/foot...d8j_nqJEhnq5B4

http://rivals.yahoo.com/alabama/foot...plh88kvgJnq5B4

http://rivals.yahoo.com/alabama/foot...KOBUMrsE5nq5B4

Just a few contributors. I'm not opposed to your line of thinking -- Bama is really, really good because a majority of their players are high four and five-star guys -- but Bama does, in fact, take some "projects" and mold them into starters.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:39 PM
Domer Domain Junior

As for Tranquill -- I'm very "meh" about him.

I like projectability. I'm ok with the staff taking flyers on guys like Bonner and Dickerson, despite meager offer lists, because they have the size to play college football and project well at positions in ND's defense.

I had problems with the offers to Heggie and John Turner, but understood the reasoning behind the staff's decisions -- during those cycles, those positions were pretty barren and the staff needed warm bodies to fill them. That sometimes happens. But I view Tranquill as that type of offer, but don't think ND needs to make those kinds of offers anymore.

Tranquill, to me, seems like a guy who plays well against inferior competition, and doesn't dominate the way he should. He doesn't have the size to play in the 3-4, and doesn't have the speed to play safety. He's not a "fit" in my eyes, and there's nothing wrong with that -- plenty of good players who wanted to play at ND weren't fits, and the staff passed.

I absolutely could be wrong about him, but I just don't see it. There's a large part of me that hopes he sticks with his commitment to Purdue.
Old 08-19-2013, 03:51 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzenboyer View Post
As for Tranquill -- I'm very "meh" about him.

I like projectability. I'm ok with the staff taking flyers on guys like Bonner and Dickerson, despite meager offer lists, because they have the size to play college football and project well at positions in ND's defense.

I had problems with the offers to Heggie and John Turner, but understood the reasoning behind the staff's decisions -- during those cycles, those positions were pretty barren and the staff needed warm bodies to fill them. That sometimes happens. But I view Tranquill as that type of offer, but don't think ND needs to make those kinds of offers anymore.

Tranquill, to me, seems like a guy who plays well against inferior competition, and doesn't dominate the way he should. He doesn't have the size to play in the 3-4, and doesn't have the speed to play safety. He's not a "fit" in my eyes, and there's nothing wrong with that -- plenty of good players who wanted to play at ND weren't fits, and the staff passed.

I absolutely could be wrong about him, but I just don't see it. There's a large part of me that hopes he sticks with his commitment to Purdue.
I am too. Seems like a John turner sized player. Good filler, but get me a big 6-4 LB, 230 right now. Put 20 lbs on him in two years.

I say if he wants to wait, and is in no hurry, then we just move on.
Old 08-19-2013, 03:59 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Many of us banged on CW for having no "plan b recruits"; maybe Tranquill is a plan B-type of guy.

a warm body is better than no body...

thoughts?
Old 08-19-2013, 04:33 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
I have called on some 3 star players and they have all showed up. They include Tyler Eifert, Bennet Jackson, Mathias Farley and Corey Robinson. For the future I have named Rashad Kinlaw, Devin Butler and now Tranquill. Some of these players added the 4th star after I singled them out. That would be Butler and Robinson. Not going to quit the predictions as long as I am nailing them davislove. You are free to do the same.
Robinson has not played a down of CFB yet. Cool your jets, fella.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton_Domer View Post
Many of us banged on CW for having no "plan b recruits"; maybe Tranquill is a plan B-type of guy.

a warm body is better than no body...

thoughts?
I agree that a warm body is better than no body. We can bang on the staff for going after three star recruits all we want but CW and the staff know what they're doing. Star rankings mean literally nothing, he's a pretty good athlete though.

With the type of guys we're bringing in I think it'll be tough for him to see the field especially at a position he doesn't play. Yeah he runs a 4.5 at his weight now but he won't be running that at 240 I can bet you that.

If I were him I'd stick with Purdue and play but after I read the article on his visit I think he might flip over. Seems like a guy who maybe grew up a huge ND fan or just wants to be in the spotlight at a big school. He can win a title here also which is something he wants, regardless the staff likes him so I think he'll be alright here.