Notre Dame Football News And Talk  

Come check out the news feed! DD Front Page

Go Back   Notre Dame Football News And Talk > Message Board > Recruiting Board

Old 09-04-2015, 08:31 AM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big23Head View Post

- Daelin Hayes has scheduled an OV for the USC and no not to just watch USC. Multiple sources saying this is very real. He may make the game this weekend as an unofficial.

This is the type of news we need. Big, nasty, athletic front 7 players are we struggle with. It was hard to hear he was USC as well as he was from Michigan. Please let this happen.

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 09-04-2015, 01:30 PM
Domer Domain All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by LasVegasIrish View Post
Yes, yes we do. What makes you think we're gonna get him though?
A twitter intersction we randomly had.
Old 09-04-2015, 04:57 PM

Barring any last minute additions or cancellations the visitor list for tomorrow is the following:

Official Visit [9/5]:

OL Parker Boudreaux (ND Verbal)
OL Liam Eichenberg (ND Verbal)
OL Tommy Kraemer (ND Verbal)
LS John Shannon (ND Verbal)
CB Julian Love (ND Verbal)
DE Adetokunbo Ogundeji (ND Verbal)
DB Jalen Elliott (ND Verbal)
OL Joshua Lugg (ND Verbal, 2017)
OL Dillon Gibbons (ND Verbal, 2017)
LB Daelin Hayes (Unofficial, Offer, USC Verbal)
CB Donte Vaughn (Offer)
S DJ Morgan (Offer)
ATH Demetrius Robertson (Offer)
CB Eric Cuffee (Offer)
ATH Melquise Stovall (Offer)
WR Donnie Corley (Offer)
DT Jovan Swann
OL Matthew Gutwald
LB TJ Brunson (Unofficial, Louisville Verbal)
TE Cole Kmet (Offer, 2017)
ATH Tyrell Ajian (Offer, 2017)
LB Joshua Ross (Offer, 2017) *Tentative
LB Corey Malone-Hatcher (Offer, 2017)
DB Jaylen Kelly-Powell (2017)
CB Ambry Thomas (2017)
QB Jairus Grissom (2017)
WR Mac Hippenhammer (2017)
DT Jerron Cage (2017, OSU Verbal)
DE James Hudson (2017, Kentucky Verbal) *Tentative
QB Chris Katrenick (2017
S Jaylen Kelly-Powell (2017)
OL Emil Ekiyor (2018 )
DL PJ Mustipher (2018 )

- Demetris Robertson is currently on campus. UGA probably leads, Stanford is in the conversation. ND will hope to impress him and get him back later in the season for another visit.

- Commitment watch: I think it would be a surprise if anyone committed while on campus. I think Melquise Stovall will want to take other visits and is considering the distance a lot. Donte Vaughn, who I believe will be Irish, will announce in October on his birthday. DJ Morgan is a possibility but he will talk with his parents back home first.

- Big visit for Daelin Hayes, things are trending well for ND right now.

- Cuffee likes Texas and the Texas schools, getting him to leave will be difficult but a strong showing this weekend would sure help.

- Irish247 Notre Dame-Texas Visitor Preview

Last edited by Big23Head; 09-04-2015 at 05:23 PM.
Old 09-05-2015, 02:49 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Elijah Holyfield to Georgia

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2561248-elijah-holyfield-to-georgia-bulldogs-land-4-star-rb-prospect?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial
Old 09-05-2015, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Official Visit [9/5]:

OL Parker Boudreaux (ND Verbal)
OL Liam Eichenberg (ND Verbal)
OL Tommy Kraemer (ND Verbal)
LS John Shannon (ND Verbal)
CB Julian Love (ND Verbal)
DE Adetokunbo Ogundeji (ND Verbal)
DB Jalen Elliott (ND Verbal)
OL Joshua Lugg (ND Verbal, 2017)
OL Dillon Gibbons (ND Verbal, 2017)
LB Daelin Hayes (Unofficial, Offer, USC Verbal)
CB Donte Vaughn (Offer)
S DJ Morgan (Offer)
ATH Demetrius Robertson (Offer)
CB Eric Cuffee (Offer)
ATH Melquise Stovall (Offer)
WR Donnie Corley (Offer)
DT Jovan Swann
OL Matthew Gutwald
LB TJ Brunson (Unofficial, Louisville Verbal)
TE Cole Kmet (Offer, 2017)
ATH Tyrell Ajian (Offer, 2017)
LB Joshua Ross (Offer, 2017) *Tentative
LB Corey Malone-Hatcher (Offer, 2017)
DB Jaylen Kelly-Powell (2017)
CB Ambry Thomas (2017)
QB Jairus Grissom (2017)
WR Mac Hippenhammer (2017)
DT Jerron Cage (2017, OSU Verbal)
DE James Hudson (2017, Kentucky Verbal) *Tentative
QB Chris Katrenick (2017
S Jaylen Kelly-Powell (2017)
OL Emil Ekiyor (2018 )
DL PJ Mustipher (2018 )
Dear god, that is one big list with a few big names!
Old 09-05-2015, 09:31 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
- Demetris Robertson is currently on campus. UGA probably leads, Stanford is in the conversation. ND will hope to impress him and get him back later in the season for another visit.
Irish247 Notre Dame-Texas Visitor Preview
Let's hope that's no longer the case after today.
Old 09-08-2015, 05:29 PM

Well, that was a great way to kick off in season recruiting.

- Demetris Roberston had a great visit. He was extremely engaged and interactive during his visit. Everything seemed to go the best it could have with him. ND leads at the moment. There are tentative plans for a return visit already.

- Melquise Stovall had a very good visit. He liked the coaches, offense and the atmosphere. He will discuss things with his family. There are a few admissions questions but he met with them and made a good first impression.

- DJ Morgan had a very good visit. He is a take for the staff and the visit answered questions he had. I believe he will still take his scheduled OV to Cal but the staff believes hie will be Irish shortly.

- Donte Vaughn had another very good visit and left with ND still leading. I expect him to announce on his birthday as planned and for ND.

- Daelin Hayes had a wonderful visit. I don't think it could have gone better, especially for an unofficial. He will return for the USC game. Things are trending hard to ND right now due to coaches, players and his family.

- Eric Cuffee had a good visit but he is tough to read. He keeps things pretty calm. I would bet that he stays in Texas but the visit did go well.

- Donnie Corley had a great visit and moved ND up with him. Probably at best 3rd right now behind OSU and MSU. Definitely got back into it. He will be back for the USC game. The longer this goes the better.

- Javon McKinley named ND his outright leader. He had in the past but this is the first time he's done that with est coast analysts, normally it was to ND sites.

- Chacho Ulloa has a top two of Stanford and ND, OVs coming in the next couple months.

- Oluwole Betiku will OV to ND, the date is not set yet. He will take all 5 OVs, but Greg Biggins believes ND is the only real threat right now.

- Parker Boudreaux was awesome this weekend. He recruited, got to know future teammates, blew up social media, took photos with TONS of fans and was a great kid to have on campus. He is becoming a favorite.

-

-

Last edited by Big23Head; 09-08-2015 at 06:01 PM.
Old 09-08-2015, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Well, that was a great way to kick off in season recruiting.

- Demetris Roberston had a great visit. He was extremely engaged and interactive during his visit. Everything seemed to go the best it could have with him. ND leads at the moment. There are tentative plans for a return visit already.

- Melquise Stovall had a very good visit. He liked the coaches, offense and the atmosphere. He will discuss things with his family. There are a few admissions questions but he met with them and made a good first impression.

- DJ Morgan had a very good visit. He is a take for the staff and the visit answered questions he had. I believe he will still take his scheduled OV to Cal but the staff believes hie will be Irish shortly.

- Donte Vaughn had another very good visit and left with ND still leading. I expect him to announce on his birthday as planned and for ND.

- Daelin Hayes had a wonderful visit. I don't think it could have gone better, especially for an unofficial. He will return for the USC game. Things are trending hard to ND right now due to coaches, players and his family.

- Eric Cuffee had a good visit but he is tough to read. He keeps things pretty calm. I would bet that he stays in Texas but the visit did go well.

- Donnie Corley had a great visit and moved ND up with him. Probably at best 3rd right now behind OSU and MSU. Definitely got back into it. He will be back for the USC game. The longer this goes the better.

- Javon McKinley named ND his outright leader. He had in the past but this is the first time he's done that with est coast analysts, normally it was to ND sites.

- Chacho Ulloa has a top two of Stanford and ND, OVs coming in the next couple months.

- Oluwole Betiku will OV to ND, the date is not set yet. He will take all 5 OVs, but Greg Biggins believes ND is the only real threat right now.

- Parker Boudreaux was awesome this weekend. He recruited, got to know future teammates, blew up social media, took photos with TONS of fans and was a great kid to have on campus. He is becoming a favorite.

-

-
It's crazy to think where recruiting was just a month ago for this class. The staff and university has made almost a complete turnaround. Leading for someone like Robertson seemed like a pipe dream until very recently. To know we lead with him and in with others is just crazy to think about.
Old 09-08-2015, 07:12 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by LasVegasIrish View Post
It's crazy to think where recruiting was just a month ago for this class. The staff and university has made almost a complete turnaround. Leading for someone like Robertson seemed like a pipe dream until very recently. To know we lead with him and in with others is just crazy to think about.
As great as that is, WR/Ath isn't a spot ND has struggled with.

Get Hayes and Betiku on board and then we have something special happening.
Old 09-08-2015, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corysold View Post
As great as that is, WR/Ath isn't a spot ND has struggled with.

Get Hayes and Betiku on board and then we have something special happening.
I was just using him as an example, but I think ND likes him at safety which has been an issue recently. Hayes and Betiku are the other two though. Obviously, still a lot to accomplish, but things are trending in the right direction.
Old 09-08-2015, 07:21 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Big - two questions:
1. If DJ Morgan and Donte Vaughn commit in short order, are we done in the secondary in your opinion?
2. With Josh Adams and Dex Williams burning their red shirts, do you think the staff will get more aggressive in finding a second RB for this class?

Thanks
Old 09-08-2015, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDMJ1984 View Post
Big - two questions:
1. If DJ Morgan and Donte Vaughn commit in short order, are we done in the secondary in your opinion?
2. With Josh Adams and Dex Williams burning their red shirts, do you think the staff will get more aggressive in finding a second RB for this class?

Thanks
1. No, ND would take at least 1 more on top of those 2. Most likely Okeke or Studstill. Also, ND probably has room for 8-10 more recruits. Right now they are in a good position to land an ATH like Robertson that could play on either side of the ball. ND could end up with 7 DBs in this class but with big time athletes like Robertson you smile and let it figure itself out later with position.

2. Yes, they will take another RB or RB/Slot guy. Stovall, Alloway and McIntosh are the 3 potential guys right now. I think ND will land one of them. I do not think they will go after a pure RB though. At the end of the cycle if they can hit a home run with an elite RB sure but for now it is those 3. Also, if Brent stays at RB there is only a need for a Slot/RB type guy.

Last edited by Big23Head; 09-08-2015 at 10:47 PM.
Old 09-09-2015, 12:44 AM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
1. No, ND would take at least 1 more on top of those 2. Most likely Okeke or Studstill. Also, ND probably has room for 8-10 more recruits. Right now they are in a good position to land an ATH like Robertson that could play on either side of the ball. ND could end up with 7 DBs in this class but with big time athletes like Robertson you smile and let it figure itself out later with position.

2. Yes, they will take another RB or RB/Slot guy. Stovall, Alloway and McIntosh are the 3 potential guys right now. I think ND will land one of them. I do not think they will go after a pure RB though. At the end of the cycle if they can hit a home run with an elite RB sure but for now it is those 3. Also, if Brent stays at RB there is only a need for a Slot/RB type guy.
This^
Studstill is viewed as a top-50 overall type talent by the staff so hes a take no matter what. He's embarrassingly underrated by recruiting services, very few guys ahead of him on ND's board at any position.
Old 09-09-2015, 01:13 AM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Devin Fuller and Damar Hamlin would be takes as well.
Old 09-09-2015, 01:17 AM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Any expected/anticipated commits coming from the weekend?
Old 09-09-2015, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwinely View Post
Any expected/anticipated commits coming from the weekend?
I would guess 2-3 within the next month could be attributed to the last weekend. My guesses would be Vaughn, Morgan and Hayes.

- May see Rashan Gary and Jordan Fuller schedule OVs in the near future.
Old 09-09-2015, 01:56 AM
Domer Domain Junior

recuiting candy...

http://www.onefootdown.com/2015/9/8/...-board-offense
Old 09-09-2015, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl_irish03 View Post
This^
Studstill is viewed as a top-50 overall type talent by the staff so hes a take no matter what. He's embarrassingly underrated by recruiting services, very few guys ahead of him on ND's board at any position.
Yep. The staff really likes him and he is a take no matter who they have in this class. 1 month ago I was fine taking guy like Ulloa. That seems like a distant memory now.
Old 09-09-2015, 06:13 AM
Domer Domain Walk-On

After an exciting win I think its time project a mock finish to the class. These are my educated guesses and admittedly very optimistic. But if we win 11+ games I feel this is a feasible finish.

RB-Stovall/Alloway-either would be a great scat back to complement Jones

WR-McKinley/Corley-one of these two should be Irish and I'm hard-pressed to choose one over the other

DE-Hayes, Betiku-This is where national titles are made. Hayes seems to be a distinct possibility already, and many have said ND has the only shot to flip Betiku, winning could convince him to join

DT-? I feel we need 1 DT but have no idea who that might be. Rashan Gary has talked OV but I need him on campus to even optimistically project him to Notre Dame

LB-Caleb Kelly/Dontavious Jackson, DJ Morgan-It seems like Morgan is coming on board, perhaps due to a chance of a Perry departure. The staff seems to want one big fish linebacker and both Kelly and Jackson seem interested

CB-Donte Vaughn, Troy Warner- Vaughn is close to locked up, and I think Warner or maybe Lamar Jackson would give an elite CB in what could be an outstanding class

S-Demetris Robertson, 2 of Jordan Fuller/Marquez Callaway/Brandon Burton/Damar Hamlin/Devin Studstill- ND is trending with Robertson and is in the thick of it for these other 5 stud safeties. It would be almost disappointing if an 11 win Irish team didn't get a pair of them.

That would leave a 25 man class, allowing for 1 decommit(always happens), that takes care of business at every position. Its a little more than we thought at the beginning of the cycle but attrition seems to always be more than we expect.
Old 09-09-2015, 02:45 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Isn't ND recruiting Robertson at WR and not S? Personally with him I don't think it matters where he wants to play haha.
Old 09-09-2015, 02:47 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackhawkIrish View Post
After an exciting win I think its time project a mock finish to the class. These are my educated guesses and admittedly very optimistic. But if we win 11+ games I feel this is a feasible finish.

RB-Stovall/Alloway-either would be a great scat back to complement Jones

WR-McKinley/Corley-one of these two should be Irish and I'm hard-pressed to choose one over the other

DE-Hayes, Betiku-This is where national titles are made. Hayes seems to be a distinct possibility already, and many have said ND has the only shot to flip Betiku, winning could convince him to join

DT-? I feel we need 1 DT but have no idea who that might be. Rashan Gary has talked OV but I need him on campus to even optimistically project him to Notre Dame

LB-Caleb Kelly/Dontavious Jackson, DJ Morgan-It seems like Morgan is coming on board, perhaps due to a chance of a Perry departure. The staff seems to want one big fish linebacker and both Kelly and Jackson seem interested

CB-Donte Vaughn, Troy Warner- Vaughn is close to locked up, and I think Warner or maybe Lamar Jackson would give an elite CB in what could be an outstanding class

S-Demetris Robertson, 2 of Jordan Fuller/Marquez Callaway/Brandon Burton/Damar Hamlin/Devin Studstill- ND is trending with Robertson and is in the thick of it for these other 5 stud safeties. It would be almost disappointing if an 11 win Irish team didn't get a pair of them.

That would leave a 25 man class, allowing for 1 decommit(always happens), that takes care of business at every position. Its a little more than we thought at the beginning of the cycle but attrition seems to always be more than we expect.
Can we take 24-25 this cycle? By my count, we currently have 84 scholarship players (I'm including Greg Bryant). 13 are out of eligibility, Bryant is probably gone for good, and let's assume Russell and Smith go pro (prior to injury, I would have added Folston & J. Jones as well, but now believe they will stay). That's 17 spots, meaning we'd need 7-8 more to transfer/medical DQ/not be invited back/go pro. That seems like an awful lot. Granted, I said almost the exact same thing earlier this summer, but 21-22 just seems a lot more realistic to me.
Old 09-09-2015, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDMJ1984 View Post
Can we take 24-25 this cycle? By my count, we currently have 84 scholarship players (I'm including Greg Bryant). 13 are out of eligibility, Bryant is probably gone for good, and let's assume Russell and Smith go pro (prior to injury, I would have added Folston & J. Jones as well, but now believe they will stay). That's 17 spots, meaning we'd need 7-8 more to transfer/medical DQ/not be invited back/go pro. That seems like an awful lot. Granted, I said almost the exact same thing earlier this summer, but 21-22 just seems a lot more realistic to me.
We can probably add about 8-10 more players in this cycle which would put us at 22-24. Tranfers and medical hardships seem to happen every year so it should all work itself out. Guy like Fuller, Redfield, Luke, etc. could all look to go pro as well. I think it just depends. I really hope it's a 24 man class, so the staff doesn't have to turn some of these guys away.
Old 09-09-2015, 04:11 PM

This is a random FWIW post: Evander Holyfield wanted his son to go to Notre Dame instead of UGA | For The Win

Quote:
Evander Holyfield’s son, Elijah Holyfield, is one of the brightest high school football prospects in the country.

The 5’10”, 204-pounder committed to his hometown University of Georgia Bulldogs late last week and, in guaranteeing himself college football next year, realized a dream that his father Evander had always hoped to fulfill.

Evander is obviously very pleased for his son, but that doesn’t mean he totally agrees with his decision. Speaking as part of the Boys & Girls Club of America’s launch of its new Alumni program, Evander told ForTheWin he was pushing for his son to choose Notre Dame over UGA. It’s slightly curious considering the Holyfield family lives in Georgia and that Holyfied himself says he’s a Georgia fan, but his reasoning makes sense:

“If you go to college you go to get an education. That’s why I tried to get him to go to Notre Dame.”

He continued:

“What are you going to do from 25-75? Education is the key. Life is more than football, just like life is more than boxing. I’m can’t say that Georgia can’t give him a good education, but only that at Notre Dame you’d be getting a $250,000 a year education instead of a $50,000 education.”
Old 09-09-2015, 04:17 PM

Scout: Cuffee: Lyght is ‘one-in-a-million’

Quote:
Four-star cornerback Eric Cuffee doesn’t need to see anything else from Notre Dame after his official visit.

Eric Cuffee might not see Notre Dame again during the recruiting process.

That might be just fine. Cuffee, a four-star cornerback from Waco, Texas, returned to South Bend last weekend for an official visit. He had already made the trek in June for the Irish Invasion. Both trips encompassed multiple days and considerable depth.

Basically, Cuffee feels like he knows Notre Dame just about as well as he needs in order to make an informed decision down the road.

“I’ve seen everything I need to see,” Cuffee said.

Cuffee came up for the Texas game alone after having made the previous trip alongside family.

This time around school was in session and the Irish opened with a 38-3 demolition of Texas, another of Cuffee’s options.

Cuffee has listed Notre Dame, Texas, Arkansas, Auburn, Baylor, Michigan, Ole Miss, TCU and Texas A&M among the programs he’s still considering. He’s only taken the one official visit so far.

“I got to see some things that I liked from both teams and some things I didn’t like from Texas,” Cuffee said. “Just seeing that helps me out a lot in my recruitment and things like that from the standpoint of just how to put my schools.”

Cuffee zeroed in on the Notre Dame defensive backs and position coach Todd Lyght in particular.

“I think coach Todd Lyght is a one-in-a-million coach with as much as he’s accomplished in life,” Cuffee said. “On the football side of things he’s accomplished a lot. It would be great to be coached by him.”

Cuffee spent considerable time with Lyght, defensive coordinator Brian VanGorder and head coach Brian Kelly during the visit.

All three stressed their need at defensive back in the Class of 2016.

“They told me a lot of things,” Cuffee said. “They told me they really want me and need me up there … They said they like my press technique a lot and they could use it a lot in their defense. It would be a great help to what they do.”

Cuffee also connected with current players. Freshman safety Mykelti Williams served as the primary host.

“He’s from about two hours away from that place,” Cuffee said. “He said it felt like home to him. I could see where he’s coming from when he said it feels like home and stuff like that. But he just told me a lot of great things from an academic standpoint and things like that.”

Right now Cuffee has no other official visits scheduled. But he does plan to make some game day trips. Baylor could have Cuffee on campus this weekend. He’s also targeting visits to Texas A&M and Texas.

Adding more official visits to the list remains a work in progress.

“I haven’t decided that yet,” said Cuffee, who plans to announce a commitment at the Under Armour All-American Game. “I have to work on my schedule.”
Old 09-09-2015, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Sorta glad he decided on Georgia. Whenever a recruit feels pressured to pick a school because their parents tell them to do so, it seems like they end up transferring eventually. I'm glad that he was able to make his own decision and pick the school he felt was best for him...even though it wasn't ND.