Notre Dame Football News And Talk  

Come check out the news feed! DD Front Page

Go Back   Notre Dame Football News And Talk > Message Board > Recruiting Board

Old 05-15-2012, 05:56 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketsan View Post
Laughing that people really think that probation is going to have an effect on them...
Laughing more than anyone thinks they can know that 1 season into a 3 season probation.

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 05-15-2012, 05:57 PM
Domer Domain All American

well, so far it definitely hasnt shown any negative effect on U$C... but in their defense, I am curious how it affects them 2-3 years down the road.

But we can afford not getting a RB this particular class, we have 12 recruits so far, I would much rather get:
4 LB (2 ILB, 2 OLB)
3 DL (2 DE, 1 DT)
2 DB [1 CB, 1 S (elite only)] If we cant get an elite safety, I would like to go after a punter
1 WR
= 22 out of 25 open schollies

Having said that, I would still celebrate if we get Ryan Green.

Last edited by NDhoosier; 05-15-2012 at 05:59 PM.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:24 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl_irish03 View Post
Why? Because we didn't get a kid that wanted to play in a pro offense?
Believe it or not, looking at a depth chart with GA3 and Carlisle around for 3 years and Mahone/Russell coming in isn't all that inviting.

We have enough offers out and I still feel good about green. It is at from our biggest need. Isaac was never coming here.
Because we rested on the fact that we're "pretty sure" a Florida kid really likes ND. I'm getting sick of sounding like a broken record but when a blue chip kid comes from the midwest, especially a Catholic school in an ND heavy town, we need to do everything we can to try to lock him in. There's still time to throw everything at him before NSD but losing a top 25 kid from JCA to SC hurts, no matter how you guys want to wallpaper over it.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:37 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pregame View Post
Because we rested on the fact that we're "pretty sure" a Florida kid really likes ND. I'm getting sick of sounding like a broken record but when a blue chip kid comes from the midwest, especially a Catholic school in an ND heavy town, we need to do everything we can to try to lock him in. There's still time to throw everything at him before NSD but losing a top 25 kid from JCA to SC hurts, no matter how you guys want to wallpaper over it.
Ty's parents wanted him close. IMO, this one is still up for grabs...
"If a believer demands that I, as a nonbeliever, observe his taboos in the public domain, he is not asking for my respect, but for my submission. And that is incompatible with a secular democracy." - Flemming Rose
Old 05-15-2012, 06:40 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Scout just posted that he is a Trojan.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:07 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

It's all over the place now, he's an f-ing Trojan.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/ncf/s...ts-usc-trojans
Old 05-15-2012, 07:29 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pregame View Post
Well we aren't going to change our offense to a pro set nor are we going to clear our depth chart to make room for him. ND did it's best, was on him early, and lost out because of reasons outside their control.

I don't think anyone rested on Ryan Green. Offers continued going out and ND is still recruiting other RBs. I still think we get Green but not because he was our lone target.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:30 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo88 View Post
Ty's parents wanted him close. IMO, this one is still up for grabs...
His parents just took a trip to USC and he commits a week later. Never know, but sounds pretty locked in.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:10 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl_irish03 View Post
His parents just took a trip to USC and he commits a week later. Never know, but sounds pretty locked in.
Naw, the article says that his parents wanted him close---that was said after he committed. I doubt they agree with his decision. We shall see...i have a feeling he's gonna pull a switcheroo. Not necessarily us, but to somewhere closer...
"If a believer demands that I, as a nonbeliever, observe his taboos in the public domain, he is not asking for my respect, but for my submission. And that is incompatible with a secular democracy." - Flemming Rose
Old 05-15-2012, 11:59 PM
Domer Domain Junior

From Keith Arnold:

The 6-foot-3, 215-pound junior from Joliet Catholic is a top 20 prospect in the country as rated by Rivals and is listed as their No. 2 running back in the nation. Isaac is listed as a four-star prospect on 247sports.com, and while they’re slightly less bullish on Isaac he’s still ranked the No. 6 back in the country.

EdgyTim.com got Isaac on the record.

“I had a great feeling about USC when I first visited the school and it just felt like me out there,” Isaac told EdgyTim.com. “I went out a second time last week with my Mom for another visit and I felt even stronger about playing for USC and my Mom agreed that it’s a great fit for me. I just really get along great with the coaching staff and the players and everyone around the program at USC. I know that even when I take football out of the picture I’ll be getting a great education and a degree from USC. I really wanted to go to a school that offered the best mix on and off the field and for me that is USC.”

The loss of Isaac, one of the Midwest’s elite skill position players, has to be considered disappointing for Irish fans. But Notre Dame had Isaac on campus multiple times and was in on his recruitment early. The Irish seemed to be fighting an uphill battle from the start as Isaac has long made it public that he wanted to play in a pro-style system. (If there’s a fandom smarting today, it’s got to be Michigan’s, who thought they were in the driver’s seat for Isaac.)

For the Irish, that turns the focus onto Florida’s Ryan Green, long Notre Dame’s top running back prospect. It’s a recruitment that won’t be decided any time soon, and a huge battle for Tony Alford, who’ll be pitted against some of the best programs in the country.

“I’m going to take my time and just make my decision on National Signing Day,” Green told 247 Sports’ Florida State site. “I’ve been talking to my parents and they don’t want me to make an early decision and regret it. They want me to take my time. I could just pull the trigger when I feel comfortable, but most likely it won’t be this summer and I’ll just wait until signing day.”

After some heated recruiting battles between Notre Dame and Florida State over the past two years, expect the Seminoles to battle for Green’s services until the end. In fact, the line for Green might even be longer than the one for Isaac, with Green’s recruiting cohorts more impressive that Isaacs, including programs like Alabama, LSU and Florida.

On tape, Green is a dynamic prospect, comparing favorably to one-time Irish target Keith Marshall, who ended up picking Georgia after visiting Notre Dame. Green is the shorter and more explosive of the two running backs, and his ability to catch the ball in space and home-run speed play into what the Irish are looking for, especially with big back Will Mahone set to enroll this summer.

Green had the Irish pegged his number one school after visiting this spring, and while Florida State has forced its way into the conversation, the Irish still have as good of a chance as any. Bringing in KeiVarae Russell, Mahone and Amir Carlisle last year helps the Irish be more selective this cycle.* But with Isaac’s decision to head to Southern California, the top of the Irish board just narrowed itself down.
Old 05-16-2012, 12:21 AM
Domer Domain Walk-On

well i guess we will be re-visiting this thread in a few years when Isaac transfers like every Illinois talent that heads to U$C
Old 05-16-2012, 02:34 AM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinKSU View Post
Why does Ty think that USC is Tailback U? I'll just assume he's never watched an NFL game in his entire life.
SC has been referred to as Tailback U for decades, and they seem to back it up -- the NFL part isn't really related. The Trojans could now also be called Quarterback U. Makes our claim to great tight ends feel rather insignificant...

I don't think it sounds realistic to say we still have an "in" with Isaac. If he has a change of heart and wants to be closer, wouldn't he choose Michigan?
Old 05-16-2012, 03:33 AM
Domer Domain Walk-On

I want a top RB recruit every year. I can't believe an involved parent could allow their son to play for Kiffin. Kiffin just seems like scum to me. That said, I am sure he feels he isn't a good fit for ND's offense whether or not that's actually true.
Old 05-18-2012, 02:44 AM
Domer Domain Sophomore

USC also just signed RB Justin Davis, another 4-5* (depending on site) out of CA. Whatever.
Old 05-18-2012, 11:45 AM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thand1 View Post
I want a top RB recruit every year.
I think we all want a top RB every year, and there's still lots of top recruits available. The key is to keep your communication open, but but your effort into the next one.

I want top RBs but I want them to want ND.
Old 05-18-2012, 02:21 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thand1 View Post
That said, I am sure he feels he isn't a good fit for ND's offense whether or not that's actually true.
He's not. If he decommitted from USC at any point, he'd just go to Ann Arbor. We're going to have to face him one way or the other.
Old 05-18-2012, 03:02 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Lane Kiffin recruits well. Always has. But don't confuse him with Lou Holtz or Nick Saban. His spotty record of success as a HC would put him more on par with Ron Zook. Both Zook and Kiffin have the same number of NC's.

Kiffin was 5-15 as a Head Coach in the NFL, and as a college HC he's 25-13. So far, his exits from his two previous Head Coaching jobs looked more like escapes in the night than the advancement of a champion. So, especially for those of you who want to take a wait-and-see approach with our Coach (who never had to beat a hasty retreat out of any of the three college towns where he was HC), I would wait a bit before hanging up a poster of this guy.

The Indiana General Assembly granted the school its charter on January 15, 1844 under the name University of Notre Dame du Lac. While the translation of the French is "Our Lady of the Lake," the university actually has two lakes on its campus.

Old 05-18-2012, 07:51 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

I'm just going to come out and say this: if a program like southern cal can get sanctioned by the NCAA, yet still be able to recruit like this and not miss a beat, then it seems to me that the sanctions were pointless. When they were initially handed down, I thought they were severe (and deservedly so). But here we are two years later, and that program appears not to have suffered very much. In my view, sanctions/penalties are only meaningful when the program truly suffers the consequences. Renegade programs like southern cal and Ohio State ought to be penalized to such an extent that it sets their programs back quite a bit and takes a period of time to recover. That's the only way to make cheating a deterrent. Again, neither program appears to have missed a beat, especially in terms of recruiting. In fact, southern cal is poised to pull in one of their best recruiting hauls ever. The sanctions meted out by the NCAA should have been so severe, that the program would have been effectively radioactive to recruits for some time. So, as I see it in retrospect, the penalities appear (at least to me) to have been more or less inconsequential. Full disclosure: I hate southern cal with every fiber of my being, so of course there's also a part of me that's skeptical that that cesspool of a program with their sleazebag coach has actually cleaned up their act. It wouldn't at all surprise me to learn that rather than putting an end to their unethical antics, Kiffen et al only have become more proficient and crafty at pulling them off. Would anybody be truly shocked to find out that southern cal is still engaged in violating NCAA rules? I certainly wouldn't be---that's who they are. Sorry for the rant, but it irks me that they're still able to haul in all that talent while on "probation".

Last edited by Classic Irish; 05-18-2012 at 07:59 PM.
Old 05-18-2012, 08:06 PM
Domer Domain Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Irish View Post
I'm just going to come out and say this: if a program like southern cal can get sanctioned by the NCAA, yet still be able to recruit like this and not miss a beat, then it seems to me that the sanctions were pointless. When they were initially handed down, I thought they were severe (and deservedly so). But here we are two years later, and that program appears not to have suffered very much. In my view, sanctions/penalties are only meaningful when the program truly suffers the consequences. Renegade programs like southern cal and Ohio State ought to be penalized to such an extent that it sets their programs back quite a bit and takes a period of time to recover. That's the only way to make cheating a deterrent. Again, neither program appears to have missed a beat, especially in terms of recruiting. In fact, southern cal is poised to pull in one of their best recruiting hauls ever. The sanctions meted out by the NCAA should have been so severe, that the program would have been effectively radioactive to recruits for some time. So, as I see it in retrospect, the penalities appear (at least to me) to have been more or less inconsequential. Full disclosure: I hate southern cal with every fiber of my being, so of course there's also a part of me that's skeptical that that cesspool of a program with their sleazebag coach has actually cleaned up their act. It wouldn't at all surprise me to learn that rather than putting an end to their unethical antics, Kiffen et al only have become more proficient and crafty at pulling them off. Would anybody be truly shocked to find out that southern cal is still engaged in violating NCAA rules? I certainly wouldn't be---that's who they are. Sorry for the rant, but it irks me that they're still able to haul in all that talent while on "probation".
Completely agree with this sentiment. I am still waiting to hear what is going to happen to Miami in the wake of all the stuff that they had going on. The NCAA has to crackdown on these more severe violations and the repeat offenders or nothing will change. USC could seriously make a NC run and they are supposed to be suffering from penalties. Good Grief!

FUSC
Old 05-18-2012, 09:14 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

It's frustrating when the NCAA penalties mean nada and is business as usual for U$C. Don't worry. KIffin will skirt the rules one time to many as he did at Tennessee and get caught with his hand in the cookie jar once again
Old 05-18-2012, 09:28 PM
Domer Domain All American

And the reason we're concerned about this is because we can't beat them. We had a chance to beat them last year when they were beatable and choked on a turd. Coach Kelly and ND were too busy with planning a great recruiting weekend, piping in music, changing the color on the helmet, and hyping this whole thing instead of realizing what was important-winning on the field.

sc used it to get momentum and they haven't looked back. That win last year against us was huge.

I'd love to see sc get the death penalty but we wouldn't be talking about this if we could just kick their *** more than once in 10 years.
Old 05-18-2012, 09:34 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Irish View Post
It's frustrating when the NCAA penalties mean nada and is business as usual for U$C. Don't worry. KIffin will skirt the rules one time to many as he did at Tennessee and get caught with his hand in the cookie jar once again
I tend to think so. The guy never has had any integrity. I find it hard to believe that he and Ed Orgeron somehow are suddenly going to acquire some.
Old 05-18-2012, 09:34 PM
Administrator
Domer Domain Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdougal93 View Post
And the reason we're concerned about this is because we can't beat them. We had a chance to beat them last year when they were beatable and choked on a turd. Coach Kelly and ND were too busy with planning a great recruiting weekend, piping in music, changing the color on the helmet, and hyping this whole thing instead of realizing what was important-winning on the field.

sc used it to get momentum and they haven't looked back. That win last year against us was huge.

I'd love to see sc get the death penalty but we wouldn't be talking about this if we could just kick their *** more than once in 10 years.
yup, it was a circus for sure......the minute i walked into the stadium i knew ND was doomed......

Too much virtue is gonna hurt you!!

Clarity
The moment when you realize the preseason polls were wrong. Again.

ASBC!!!!!!
Old 05-18-2012, 09:35 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

It doesn't really bother me that they got another top running back, I'll take our latest backfield additions of GAIII, Carlisle, and Neal over their guys. Neal and GAIII have absolute star potential and I'm curious to see what Amir can do. Plus Kevaire might end up being a stud in the SR/RB spot.

I LOVE what Kelly decided to do by making the SR/RB one position group and giving it to Alford. It has quickly become our most explosive position group and is full of incredible speed and talent. Also, Alford might be our best recruiter, so I expect him to consistently get us incredible talent to keep that position loaded. I look forward to seeing a lot of screen plays to let these guys run and make opposing defenses look foolish.

Getting rid of Molnar and promoting Martin could also end up being a huge factor this season because Martin likes to run the ball and use a running QB. With the way our roster is currently constructed, Martin should be able to orchastrate a very dynamic rushing attack.

Sorry for being off topic.
Old 05-18-2012, 09:46 PM
Administrator
Domer Domain Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdougal93 View Post

Amen! Amen! And Amen!

Winning cures all!

"
If we were in the wild, I would attack u. Even if u weren’t in my food chain, I would go out of my way to attack u!" ~Manti Teo