Notre Dame Football News And Talk  

Come check out the news feed! DD Front Page

Go Back   Notre Dame Football News And Talk > Message Board > Recruiting Board

Old 08-05-2011, 05:02 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Default Sweet ESPN eval on Justin Ferguson

This kid possesses one of the best blends of speed, size and strength this class has to offer. Ferguson is a load of a wide receiver that is physical, fast and very productive. He reminds us of Darick Rogers from the 2010 class both in stature and style. Is tall, thick and well built. With further time in the weightroom he could really be an imposing figure. His hands, arm extension away from his body and concentration to track the deep ball are all excellent. He is a difficult one-on-one matchup on the jump ball with his height, long wingspan, timing and leaping skills. Knows how to muscle his way through coverage and position himself between the ball and the defender. He attacks the ball at its highest point and is a competitor for the football, but what stands out is the fact he does not have win many jump ball situations on deep routes due to his speed to run by people. Release is consistently fast warranting a cushion, but he still shows the separation speed needed to get behind defenders on vertical routes and make the over-the-should grab look easy. Knows how to use the cushion to run off defenders and create space on outs and comeback routes as well. For a taller, thicker receiver, he does a good job sinking his hips into his cuts to accelerate and create separation out of his breaks. Ability to keeps his speed at the top of his stem on intermediate post and corner routes is equally impressive. After the catch he flashes nice burst and the second gear needed to split the seam; top-end speed is excellent. Ferguson is not always quick-twitch in his ability to accelerate, in fact he will climb the ladder at times, but once he opens his gate he can really go given his size. He is difficult to tackle in the open field due to his size and strength and is more elusive and galloping than he is sudden. Ferguson will likely end up being one of the top WR's in the 2012 class and few possess his combination of size and speed.
Nice to see JF getting some big time Love!! He and DG are going to be Studs!! Let's add a quick slot guy and WR is set!!
Go Irish

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 08-05-2011, 05:49 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Very nice indeed - wide receiver is definitely looking good with this recruiting cycle based with Ferguson and Greenberry. I believe this class is overall is going to be very good - maybe not top ranked but will be looked upon a few years from now as pretty special.
Old 08-05-2011, 09:06 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwinely View Post
Very nice indeed - wide receiver is definitely looking good with this recruiting cycle based with Ferguson and Greenberry. I believe this class is overall is going to be very good - maybe not top ranked but will be looked upon a few years from now as pretty special.
Agreed. I understand why but yet all too often we bemoan a class if not top 5etc when in fact we have quality players like Justin who will hopefully make the impact we appreciate. All we need now is a good slot guy and we"ll be smiling for the long term.
Old 08-05-2011, 09:37 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

I for one am just excited to see us getting more speed on both sides of the ball. This seems to be a real strong focus this recruiting cycle and JF's combination of both size and speed will likely make him an asset wherever he ends up playing for us.

Already looking forward to NCAA Football '14...
Old 08-06-2011, 12:09 AM
Domer Domain All American

so should we consider GAIII's move to the backfield permanent?
Old 08-06-2011, 01:28 AM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by davislove View Post
so should we consider GAIII's move to the backfield permanent?
Just my opinion, but I don't think it is permanent. If we do actually get two dedicated backs in the 2012 class, plus get Roberson back for 2012...and only lose Jonas, then you are looking at this depth chart.

RUNNING BACK
2012:
2013: Cierre Wood
2014: Cameron Roberson+, Cam McDaniel, George Atkinson
2015: (Freshman1), (Freshman2)

So, all of the sudden you go from limited depth to possible six RB. Plus, depth thins out at receiver unless you extend one of the 5th years (Goodie or Walker).

WIDE RECEIVERS
2012: Theo Riddick, John Goodman (5th), Deion Walker (5th), Robby Toma
2013: TJ Jones, Daniel Smith
2014: DaVaris Daniels, Matthias Farley, Luke Massa
2015: (Justin Ferguson), (Deontay Greenberry)

Of course, if GAIII lights it up out of the backfield, ignore everything above.
Old 08-06-2011, 01:47 AM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Default Ga iii rb?

You are assuming that he is better than Cam McDaniels. If he does win the third spot at RB, play on the field will determine if he is perminent.
Based on their videos only, it is going to be very competitive. I think Cam runs the middle better and could be a very good K & P returner.

AlabamaDuck
Old 08-06-2011, 04:04 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Send a message via AIM to IrishCalves

Depends on who we land in the upcoming cycle and what kind of back Roberson comes back as. If we somehow landed both Marshalls, then maybe we can afford to move GAIII more readily. If luck keeps stacking itself against us at RB, then he's probably going to stay there out of need.

We are ND.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:02 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlabamaDuck View Post
You are assuming that he is better than Cam McDaniels
not assuming as much as making an educated guess based on their rankings done by the major ranking services like rivals, et al. now, maybe cam is better than george but it is more *likely* that cam is not better than then george....
Old 08-07-2011, 09:13 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Whether he is listed as a RB or a WR i hope BK uses him as both...this guy has game changer written all over him...with that speed i want his hands on the ball as much as possible (as long as he doesnt fumble )
Old 08-08-2011, 06:49 PM
Domer Domain All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishCalves View Post
Depends on who we land in the upcoming cycle and what kind of back Roberson comes back as. If we somehow landed both Marshalls, then maybe we can afford to move GAIII more readily. If luck keeps stacking itself against us at RB, then he's probably going to stay there out of need.
Not sure you can hitch a wagon to roberson anymore. You just have to move on IMO. If he fully recover and come back strong, great, but you can't plan on it.

I'm starting to think kelly really believes the "skill" and big skill stuff. we may already have our backs on campus. My guess where rb's are concerned is kelly hunts the big fish and is willing to wait on them. I think he also realize that the spread don't need some stud back
Old 08-09-2011, 01:44 AM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Great info Buirish. Sure we have some unknowns with Ga111 ... I personally think Cam McDaniel is going to wow you guys. Just great news here on the recruiting side with Ferguson.
Old 08-09-2011, 02:50 AM
Domer Domain Junior

Send a message via AIM to ColinKSU

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlabamaDuck View Post
You are assuming that he is better than Cam McDaniels. If he does win the third spot at RB, play on the field will determine if he is perminent.
Based on their videos only, it is going to be very competitive. I think Cam runs the middle better and could be a very good K & P returner.

AlabamaDuck
McDaniels is the ultimate "I'm going to absolutely have to see it before I believe it" player in the new freshman class. I know there's a big groundswell of supporters for the kid and I have absolutely nothing against him, but I'm going to have to see it first with that kid.