Some major moves by Irish commits:

Darby moved into top 10
Shepherd 5 stars
Greenberry 4 stars just out of 5 stars
Baratti 4 stars
Prosise 4 stars

to name a few

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 07-27-2011, 07:42 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

I don't know why exactly, but it comes from the general feeling of the recruiting experts on this boards and experience following recruiting: I do not value the Scout rankings as much as the Rivals rankings. In fact, I've even begun looking more closely at the ESPN recruiting rankings with the thought that they have the resources to eventually do a pretty good job in that field.

BUT, it is still nice to see, and I expect Rivals will also show some of those guys some additional love based on their performances this summer.
The Indiana General Assembly granted the school its charter on January 15, 1844 under the name University of Notre Dame du Lac. While the translation of the French is "Our Lady of the Lake," the university actually has two lakes on its campus.

Old 07-27-2011, 09:22 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Ferguson got no love after winning his team the Open championship. Makes little sense to me.
Old 07-27-2011, 10:37 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2lakes View Post
I do not value the Scout rankings as much as the Rivals rankings.
based on what...does one set of overweight recruiting goobers have access to higher quality grainy film than the other?

people who claim "rivals is better" are largely basing that on some bizarre socially constructed popularity contest.

the guys who work for scout, rivals, and espn largely all have the same "credentials" so to say one is better than the other is pretty odd.

regardless, espn has taken rivals *best* analysts over the past three years, so if anything, they should be the top service ...or at least the one with more recruiting *experts*.

24/7 took some of rivals guys as well.
Old 07-27-2011, 10:45 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

I agree with that--its a bit of a mixed bag as one would expect but overall , I like scout---over the years they have gotten quite a few pegged higher or lower then rivals for our guys and were right quite often.

Rivals gets favored a little because of the 5 star value ---rivals only gives like 25-30 and scout gives more like 50---so simply the math there makes the 5 star rivals more meanigful overall, if only by a shade.

Also it seems like every year rivals has us ranked way behind scout but by the end of the year they sort of even out.

aloha's
Old 07-27-2011, 11:08 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

I think more importantly than the debate over scout vs rivals vs espn is the fact that alot of these guys were those that we were complaining about earlier in the year because we were getting too many 3 stars. However, it would seem to bear out that Coach Kelly and his staff have quite a nose for talent and potential and their assessment of these players is better than those of the scouts - at least early on in the cycle. Now they are starting to catch up as they have seen them perform more over the summer, but my guess is Kelly and Company already knew their capabilities.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:18 PM
Domer Domain All American

I'm just excited that we are "on" the talent before the other guys for a change!
Old 07-27-2011, 11:21 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket31 View Post
based on what...does one set of overweight recruiting goobers have access to higher quality grainy film than the other?

people who claim "rivals is better" are largely basing that on some bizarre socially constructed popularity contest.

the guys who work for scout, rivals, and espn largely all have the same "credentials" so to say one is better than the other is pretty odd.

regardless, espn has taken rivals *best* analysts over the past three years, so if anything, they should be the top service ...or at least the one with more recruiting *experts*.

24/7 took some of rivals guys as well.
Hey, I didn't say my "feeling" was rocket-science, but that doesn't change it. Tell you what, with no real prediction of the result, I'm setting up a poll.
The Indiana General Assembly granted the school its charter on January 15, 1844 under the name University of Notre Dame du Lac. While the translation of the French is "Our Lady of the Lake," the university actually has two lakes on its campus.

Old 07-27-2011, 11:27 PM
Domer Domain All American

I think the ESPN service has been the most accurate in rating players over the last few years.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:36 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirodomer View Post
I think the ESPN service has been the most accurate in rating players over the last few years.
Go vote: it's up there now.

Old 07-28-2011, 01:27 AM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

So much for the theory that kids lose a star when they commit to ND.
Old 07-28-2011, 01:34 AM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OklahomaIrish View Post
So much for the theory that kids lose a star when they commit to ND.
That was an over-hyped stereotype to begin with.

I have always trusted the Rivals rankings the most, not sure why, just have. They seem to have a pretty solid track record backing them up, but honestly all three services will have fairly even results because they don't vary all that much.
Old 07-28-2011, 02:27 AM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Send a message via AIM to Ital-Irish

I've also always been a bigger believer in the Rivals rankings, but, and I realize this is stupid, I think it's because I've always found the site to be a lot more clean. I'm talking simply aesthetically. Yes, that's moronic, but I really think that's why (the higher standards for 5 stars probably has something to do with it, too).
Old 07-28-2011, 02:44 AM
blacksox

I like Scout because the site is more user friendly for searching who has interest in ND. Rivals searching abilities is awful.