Notre Dame Football News And Talk  

Come check out the news feed! DD Front Page

Go Back   Notre Dame Football News And Talk > Message Board > Recruiting Board

Old 01-28-2011, 04:06 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Default Huggins down to 2

NJ.com is reporting this:
"St. Peter’s Prep running back Savon Huggins, New Jersey's top-ranked player, according to Rivals.com, will announce his decision today at 5 p.m. It is believed he has narrowed his choices down to Rutgers and North Carolina after also taking official visits to Notre Dame, Michigan State and Auburn."
From this, even though he said previously we were in it, it does not look good.
But if this recruiting cycle proves anything, it is that anything can happen!
Believe it can still happen!

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 01-28-2011, 04:15 PM
Domer Domain Junior

This was already reported yesterday in the Huggins thread. However, I'll still contribute to this one because of the HOPE I see in it! For some strange reason, I still maintain a certain optimism: not enough to hang myself if Savon goes elsewhere, but our coaches have been INFUEGO this month. Nothing to lose and a lot to gain today.
Old 01-28-2011, 04:16 PM
Administrator
Domer Domain Legend

http://www.domerdomain.com/forum/sho...t=33375&page=2

Post #41

You gotta keep up here at DD!

"
If we were in the wild, I would attack u. Even if u weren’t in my food chain, I would go out of my way to attack u!" ~Manti Teo

Old 01-28-2011, 04:20 PM
Domer Domain All American

damn, you guys are super nice...I frequent a car forum called e46fanatics.com and there, we call it a "repost"

and you would get "flamed" on for reposting crap and people will take time out of their day to show you what an idiot you are hahahaha

people over the internet are awesome
Old 01-28-2011, 04:22 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

His buddies Lumpkin and Shuler are committed to Rutgers. Schiano is telling Huggins that he is the next Ray Rice and that they are going to run the offense around him. He will be close to home and Schiano points out that Rutgers has more First round NFL picks than Notre Dame over the last few years, and if the Pro's don't work out ....well.... a Rutgers Degree means something because Forbes ranked Rutgers as being the 20th best public university in the United States for "getting rich", as judged by its students' median salaries upon graduation.

Now look at ND... great school, great tradition.... not so many first rounders, further from home, no buddies there, and an offense where there is no fullback (which he has always had) and an elite QB coming in with a rocket arm and can run..... He may have been intrigued by ND.... i really don't think we had a chance.

Last edited by NYC12; 01-28-2011 at 05:15 PM.
Old 01-28-2011, 04:23 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

A moderator from TOS (not pay info) spoke directly to Huggins father, and for what it is worth, he stated that this was not true. Still don't think we are in it, but from the horses mouth, we are not fully out of it yet either.
Old 01-28-2011, 04:29 PM

Well, I hope he knows that signing on with Rutgers means he won't be able to transfer... Or that by signing with UNC that they will be under sanctions in the next 4 years, with a new coach....
Old 01-28-2011, 05:23 PM
FlannerForever

NYC12, When you paint the picture like that, nobody would ever come to Notre Dame! I have to play the dissenting opinion here. I think you leave out the most important factor: will his choice be competing at the highest level for a national title and BCS games?

Yes, individual goals are probably #1 for all recruits. However, good teams get the best players. If Huggins wants to roll the dice and be the big fish in a little pond, then Rutgers is the way to go. He'll play, but to think you'll be the next Ray Rice is crazy!

By the way, all those #1 picks for Rutgers??? A WR in 2009 and an OT in 2010. So now Rutgers is better than ND at producing NFL talent? Come on! And one of them was not Ray Rice!!! Ray Rice was a late 2nd round pick in 2008, the 7th RB off the board. The only reason he went that high was because he played on a resurgent Rutgers team and got a lot of press and looks.

He comes to ND, he will play if he is all he is said to be, and he works hard. Clearly, ND has a bright future with regards to the BCS - and we should be in contention as soon as this season. He will never be the centerpiece of a Kelly offense, but when you are a star on a good team, you will get a shot at the NFL. That's a gaurantee!

I don't know if BCS games, national exposure, the #19 university (rutgers is #143) nationally, and a better shot at the NFL are enough to sway him to ND though!
Old 01-28-2011, 05:50 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Flanner, I'm pretty sure NYC's post is meant to be read with Schiano's voice. I guess we can use BK's voice for yours...
Old 01-28-2011, 06:10 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Flannerforever... I am trying to explain how this kid was sold.

As for competing for a national title... we have turned it around and are headed , IMHO, in the right direction but kids today know very little about the Notre Dame tradition. When Ishaq Williams was approached about being the next "LT" he had no idea they were referencing Lawrence Taylor... and this kid is from NY. So even with our recent turn around the kid may see no deference between ND, NC and Rutgers.

I never said Ray Rice was a 1st round pick but it is a story the kid would love... local boy does well and turns Rutgers into a good program and goes on to stardom in the NFL. Also Ray Rice went that high because he is a great back. I also never said that Rutgers is better at turning out pros than ND... I am telling you what Schiano is pushing these kids with.

As for academic Rankings, while I feel ND is more prestigious, it depends on the ranking service. According to the WSJ top recruiters picks... Rutgers is one spot ahead of ND overall as a school.

If we took Lumpkin I think we would have had a real shot with him. If he comes great... if not I still think we are in great shape.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:17 PM
Administrator/Hammer Of The Gods

Rumor is its UNC......

Old 01-28-2011, 06:22 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Now that would be a surprise to me. I thought for sure that UNC was a smokescreen and really it was going to be home school U with his buddies. UNC doesn't make sense to me in much the same way that USC doesn't make sense. But obviously - these coaches are good salesmen. I can't imagine how UNC can avoid getting smacked good for all the stuff they had going on.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:32 PM
Domer Domain Freshman

I hear a lot of people talking about UNC and the sanctions that are coming down against them, but has there actually been anything started on that? I know all about the players that were suspended and everything, but I haven't heard anything about the school's pending sanctions, or the NCAA going after them, or anything else like that. Did I miss that somewhere? Just wondering since a lot of people seem to talking about like it is a foregone conclusion that they will be getting hammered by the NCAA.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:10 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

You are right jlgyork - maybe it is conjecture on my part. Ithink alot of people believe that UNC would get hit hard for academic fraud on a large scale, players taking money from agents, and having an assistant coach who had a part in it. Realistically it was probably as bad if not worse than the USC scandal. maybe nothing will come of it.
Old 01-28-2011, 08:57 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Espn says were still in it as of 2 p.m.

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncf/blog?...26id%3d6068808
Old 01-28-2011, 09:10 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Rutgers.

http://twitter.com/#!/ISDUpdate/stat...11553684078592
Old 01-28-2011, 09:11 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

surprising
Old 01-28-2011, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.B.IRISH View Post
Espn says were still in it as of 2 p.m.

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncf/blog?...26id%3d6068808
We are prolly only listed to garner web hits. Do Rutger's fans even follow recruiting? That's like scoreboard watching Minor League baseball...
Old 01-29-2011, 04:06 AM
Domer Domain Walk-On

quite classless everyone that is ridiculing another school because they got a recruit that ND wanted...and you wonder why everyone calls ND fans condescending.