Notre Dame Football News And Talk  

Come check out the news feed! DD Front Page

Go Back   Notre Dame Football News And Talk > Message Board > General Discussion

Old 11-20-2019, 07:20 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtLeastMySisWasIrish View Post
Blame ESPN. Much of the tie ins for Conferences, Bowls etc are owned by ESPN. If the NCAA could find a way to replace the money paid by ESPN, which they likely won't, then the landscape changes dramatically. Why the 8 team playoff is inevitable because too many rightful qualifiers are left on the outside looking in. Changes need to be made sooner than later and ND will definitely benefit.
Has ND missed the CFP by being ranked 5th to 8th yet? ND can only benefit if they manage to be a Top 8 team.

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 11-20-2019, 10:38 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown_9999 View Post
Has ND missed the CFP by being ranked 5th to 8th yet? ND can only benefit if they manage to be a Top 8 team.
They were ranked 8th in 2015 after the conference championship games. The second highest 2-loss team (behind Stanford).
Old 11-29-2019, 11:55 PM
Domer Domain All American

https://www.google.com/amp/s/irish.n...ssibility/amp/

Looks like Camping world bowl but it looks like the Citrus Bowl has opened up as a possibility.

Cotton or Orange are only possible with tons of help.
Old 12-01-2019, 07:32 AM
Domer Domain Freshman

The entire bowl system is beyond its sell by date...

Playoff expansion to 8 teams is coming eventually. When it does, the bowls should be freed of all contracts and instead be seeded by the committee (or a select sub-committee) to generate the best regional, national and TV/gate matches.

AS it is now, who really cares if we play in the Camping Bowl in the same stadium as the Citrus Bowl but on the 28th instead of January 1?

New Year's Day games once meant something when there were basically 5 of them - Rose, Cotton, Sugar, Fiesta and Orange. There are now so many bowl games with so many hideously boring match-ups that the whole thing is pretty much a joke.

I would actually like to see Notre Dame simply state at the outset of every season that it is Playoffs or nothing and stop playing the watered down, boring *** bowl games unless the whole system is changed...

Of course, I also want a lot of other things too, I just have to learn to live with disappointment...
Old 12-01-2019, 07:55 AM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by moostache View Post
The entire bowl system is beyond its sell by date...

Playoff expansion to 8 teams is coming eventually. When it does, the bowls should be freed of all contracts and instead be seeded by the committee (or a select sub-committee) to generate the best regional, national and TV/gate matches.

AS it is now, who really cares if we play in the Camping Bowl in the same stadium as the Citrus Bowl but on the 28th instead of January 1?

New Year's Day games once meant something when there were basically 5 of them - Rose, Cotton, Sugar, Fiesta and Orange. There are now so many bowl games with so many hideously boring match-ups that the whole thing is pretty much a joke.

I would actually like to see Notre Dame simply state at the outset of every season that it is Playoffs or nothing and stop playing the watered down, boring *** bowl games unless the whole system is changed...

Of course, I also want a lot of other things too, I just have to learn to live with disappointment...
Thats just totally ridiculous imo.
Old 12-01-2019, 03:07 PM
Domer Domain Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by golson5 View Post
Thats just totally ridiculous imo.
Why do you think it's ridiculous? I care a lot about Notre Dame Football and Basketball. Football is an inherently dangerous sport, as evidenced by the Heuerman story and Trevor Ruhland stating that he is in pain 24 hours a day. Why should ND risk the long term health of amateur athletes for the Camping World Bowl? Does a Camping World Bowl win change anything? Will anyone outside of the couple hundred of us on these boards care if ND beats an 8-5 Iowa State team?

Now I don't think ND should turn down bowls, but I also don't think it's ridiculous to question the costs and benefits of going to a non top tier bowl.
Old 12-01-2019, 03:34 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dardo View Post
Why do you think it's ridiculous? I care a lot about Notre Dame Football and Basketball. Football is an inherently dangerous sport, as evidenced by the Heuerman story and Trevor Ruhland stating that he is in pain 24 hours a day. Why should ND risk the long term health of amateur athletes for the Camping World Bowl? Does a Camping World Bowl win change anything? Will anyone outside of the couple hundred of us on these boards care if ND beats an 8-5 Iowa State team?

Now I don't think ND should turn down bowls, but I also don't think it's ridiculous to question the costs and benefits of going to a non top tier bowl.
Kids are fully aware of inherent risk at this point and time...
Bowl means extra practice, extra exposure, extra recruiting opportunities, extra showcase for departing players, extra revenue for the school and program. Win win win win win.
Old 12-01-2019, 04:42 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Quote:

I think if you asked the players if they care if they played in a bowl game you would get a big majority saying YES. Taking away bowl opportunities would make Recruiting even harder. These are young men that want to play no matter what bowl. Sure they would love to play OS for the NC but they aren’t going to vote down an opportunity to play even Iowa State in a bowl.

We are all passionate about something I hope and these young guys love the game of football.

Last edited by ND_JACK; 12-01-2019 at 04:46 PM.
Old 12-01-2019, 04:47 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

If a school wants to compete for recruits, it has to go to a bowl.
If a school wants to be competitive, it has to go to a bowl.
The extra practices, extra television exposure, extra local exposure, and financial contributions from alumni all benefit the school.
It is reasonable to me if a kid elects not to play in a bowl because he could get hurt. Very few kids are going to be able to obtain the type of insurance Jaylon Smith got during his final year at ND. If an individual kid who might be drafted elects not to play, thatís fine by me. Could hurt the team and the final record and final ranking, but I agree that no one really cares that much about ND playing Iowa State.
But I believe bowls do matter to the overall competitiveness of a football program and do benefit the schools.
Old 12-01-2019, 06:04 PM

https://www.google.com/amp/s/247spor...139451552/Amp/

Thereís hope still.
Old 12-01-2019, 06:07 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:

There are no benefits to turning down a bowl. That's why it is ridiculous
Old 12-01-2019, 06:12 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndomer4 View Post
There was only one game that happened out of all that were mentioned that needed to happen. That was Ohio St beating Michigan. But everyone else who kiss doesnít benefit ND. Also, I wouldnít be surprised if Michigan stays ahead of ND at 15. That beat down was just that. I just donít see ND leap-frogging anyone else sadly.
Old 12-01-2019, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltssb View Post
There was only one game that happened out of all that were mentioned that needed to happen. That was Ohio St beating Michigan. But everyone else who kiss doesn’t benefit ND. Also, I wouldn’t be surprised if Michigan stays ahead of ND at 15. That beat down was just that. I just don’t see ND leap-frogging anyone else sadly.
I think we can potentially leap Minnesota, Michigan and Oregon this week. However I won’t be surprised if we stay where we are.

Next week potentially Wisconsin, Baylor and Oregon again depending on how badly they lose. Again I won’t be shocked if we don’t leap anyone.

Edit- coaches poll has us at 14 ahead of Minnesota. ND could jump Baylor, Wisconsin and Oregon next week. Still have 3 top 25 wins so hopefully the committee gives us credit.

Last edited by ndomer4; 12-01-2019 at 06:30 PM.
Old 12-01-2019, 11:08 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Unless you are in the playoffs bowl games are only good for extra practice to get a jump on the next season and bragging rights.
Old 12-02-2019, 03:10 AM
Domer Domain Sophomore

ND up to 14 in the AP, ahead of Michigan.
Utah at 5. Will be interesting to see what how Utah is kept out of the playoff.
A couple fortuitous losses next week could land ND in the Orange Bowl I think.
Seems very unlikely, but stay tuned....
Old 12-03-2019, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Gruene View Post
ND up to 14 in the AP, ahead of Michigan.
Utah at 5. Will be interesting to see what how Utah is kept out of the playoff.
A couple fortuitous losses next week could land ND in the Orange Bowl I think.
Seems very unlikely, but stay tuned....
Do we really want to go to the orange bowl for a rematch with Virginia?
Old 12-03-2019, 03:54 AM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Quote:
Originally Posted by goirish83 View Post
Do we really want to go to the orange bowl for a rematch with Virginia?
I thought we would get the ACC slot in the Orange bowl and play Florida
Old 12-03-2019, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND_JACK View Post
I thought we would get the ACC slot in the Orange bowl and play Florida
My understanding is wed play against the acc slot.
Old 12-03-2019, 05:50 AM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

I just want to go 11-2 we have a fair chance of squeezing into the ten spot in that case

I don't think many of us expected the playoffs with this team....we only have one great player right now in Claypool and a handful of very good players

We don't have 2 guys on the oline going in the top 20 draft
We don't have a breakaway back
We don't have 6 guys going into the nfl off this defense--------------------- given our talent

eleven and two would be real good

just sayin aloha
Old 12-03-2019, 06:12 AM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiirish View Post
I just want to go 11-2 we have a fair chance of squeezing into the ten spot in that case

I don't think many of us expected the playoffs with this team....we only have one great player right now in Claypool and a handful of very good players

We don't have 2 guys on the oline going in the top 20 draft
We don't have a breakaway back
We don't have 6 guys going into the nfl off this defense--------------------- given our talent

eleven and two would be real good

just sayin aloha
Okwara Kareem Pride Gilman Elliot Hamilton JOK will all play in the NFL. Possibly MTA
Old 12-03-2019, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goirish83 View Post
My understanding is wed play against the acc slot.
Yeah the author of the link I posted actually made a mistake. He thought there was a loophole that If UVA was not ranked the ACC could take a ranked ND. I don’t believe there is any way they can knock UVA out of the game. We could play them because they are also obligated to take the highest ranked team between ND, the SEC or BIG 10. There’s going to be multiple SEC and BIG 10 at large teams ahead of us.

Cotton bowl is unlikely as well. Looks like it will be the Camping World Bowl against a number of average BIG 12 teams. Good news is we should be able to beat all of them.

Last edited by ndomer4; 12-03-2019 at 01:15 PM.
Old 12-03-2019, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndomer4 View Post
Cotton bowl is unlikely as well. Looks like it will be the Camping World Bowl against a number of average BIG 12 teams. Good news is we should be able to beat all of them.
it could be either texas, Oklahoma st., iowa st. or Kansas state in the camping world bowl. I would bet that it'll be texas, I would like to see it be either ISU or KSU.
Old 12-03-2019, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangeruss View Post
it could be either texas, Oklahoma st., iowa st. or Kansas state in the camping world bowl. I would bet that it'll be texas, I would like to see it be either ISU or KSU.
None of these wins will give us any respect and a loss to any will look terrible.

I changed my mind on any game being an easy win. Texas probably brings the biggest draw and Iowa State is kinda meh to me. Even though they’re only 7 win teams, Purdy would be a headache as would Ehlinger and those receivers.

It would be nice to beat the team who beat OU but KSU is no pushover. Their coach was at NDSU before and they were a power. Their qb is legit too.

I think OSU is the easiest game. Without Wallace and Sanders they should be a cakewalk.

Preference for me goes OSU>KSU>Texas>ISU