Notre Dame Football News And Talk  

Come check out the news feed! DD Front Page

Go Back   Notre Dame Football News And Talk > Message Board > General Discussion

Old 12-04-2019, 11:33 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Iíll admit I think Helton is a good coach.

He has dealt with several QB injuries and has had to play young or true Freshmen QBs and has won.

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 12-05-2019, 12:51 AM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by edcubby View Post
Iíll admit I think Helton is a good coach.

He has dealt with several QB injuries and has had to play young or true Freshmen QBs and has won.
They have a really good Offense coming back with Slovis, St Brown, Stepp,etc. Iíll be surprised if they donít win the PAC 12. I think thatís the minimum requirement for Helton to keep his job next year.
Old 12-05-2019, 02:05 AM
Domer Domain All American

Seems like taking it year by year is the wrong way to go. His recruiting class is ranked in the 60s this year becuase of the question Mark's surrounding the program this season and now you're going to bring him back again essentially on another 1 year trial?

So I'd imagine they will have the same recruiting challenges next year and then you are 2 years deep into poor recruiting classes. That can be crippling, as an nd fan I'm fine with it but as others have said he better at least win 10/11 and a pac 12 title next year or they're in some serious trouble because it will be even more difficult to bounce back after a second sub par recruiting class
Old 12-05-2019, 02:15 AM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goirish83 View Post
Seems like taking it year by year is the wrong way to go. His recruiting class is ranked in the 60s this year becuase of the question Mark's surrounding the program this season and now you're going to bring him back again essentially on another 1 year trial?

So I'd imagine they will have the same recruiting challenges next year and then you are 2 years deep into poor recruiting classes. That can be crippling, as an nd fan I'm fine with it but as others have said he better at least win 10/11 and a pac 12 title next year or they're in some serious trouble because it will be even more difficult to bounce back after a second sub par recruiting class
Itís in the 60s for 2020, itís ranked 8th for 2021. Thatís a pretty stunning variance. I have to imagine thereís some big recruits still considering them that havenít committed. Thereís no earthly way USC should be that low. Hell, you could get the 5th tier recruits from LA and still haul a substantially better class than one ranked in the 60s
Old 12-05-2019, 02:41 AM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELDER06 View Post
Itís in the 60s for 2020, itís ranked 8th for 2021. Thatís a pretty stunning variance. I have to imagine thereís some big recruits still considering them that havenít committed. Thereís no earthly way USC should be that low. Hell, you could get the 5th tier recruits from LA and still haul a substantially better class than one ranked in the 60s
Recruiting isn't over. Still 2 months to go. They only have 11 so far and are taking a small number due to a lot of returning players
Old 12-05-2019, 03:56 AM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasDomer View Post
LOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!! The Twitter feed is gold. I read the first 150 replies or so and all but one are a combination of utter anger, disappointment, ignominy and melancholy, and incredulity.
Old 12-05-2019, 04:58 AM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Their 8th place recruiting ranking for 2021 is based on only 4 commits. One 5*, two 4*, and one 3*.

Their 2020 class has only two 4*'s and nine 3*s. Seven of the commits are listed as OL. They have a lot of catch up to do.
Old 12-05-2019, 11:18 AM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by golson5 View Post
Recruiting isn't over. Still 2 months to go. They only have 11 so far and are taking a small number due to a lot of returning players
Realistically, how much further up can they move? They have to move nearly 50 spots to get around the #20 rank from last year. Given that the first signing period is less than 2 weeks away, it seems theyíre out of time.
Old 12-05-2019, 12:33 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Quote:
Realistically, how much further up can they move? They have to move nearly 50 spots to get around the #20 rank from last year. Given that the first signing period is less than 2 weeks away, it seems theyíre out of time.
But double down on your support for the head man...
Old 12-05-2019, 01:35 PM
Domer Domain All American

Keep That Fighting Spirit

"Let me see you disrespect me now, when my face is to ya" Lou Holtz

Resident video nerd and DomerDomain MVP since 2011
Old 12-05-2019, 03:31 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketsan View Post
But double down on your support for the head man...
I’d much rather have Helton at USC than Urban. Maybe the constant talk of firing the Helton scared off recruits? How many programs out there with a tenuous coaching situation can haul in top 10 classes? A culture of stability and consistent winning leads to better recruiting classes. That’s what a lot of you dip s**ts don’t understand.

Last edited by ELDER06; 12-05-2019 at 03:33 PM.
Old 12-05-2019, 03:54 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Iíd much rather have Helton at USC than Urban. Maybe the constant talk of firing the Helton scared off recruits? How many programs out there with a tenuous coaching situation can haul in top 10 classes? A culture of stability and consistent winning leads to better recruiting classes. Thatís what a lot of you dip s**ts donít understand.
At USC? I could sneeze and get top 10 classes at USC. And I havenít ever coached college football. USC sales itself. When USC gets a decent coach they are usually really good.
Old 12-05-2019, 07:53 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Iíd much rather have Helton at USC than Urban. Maybe the constant talk of firing the Helton scared off recruits? How many programs out there with a tenuous coaching situation can haul in top 10 classes? A culture of stability and consistent winning leads to better recruiting classes. Thatís what a lot of you dip s**ts donít understand.
So getting rid of Helton and replacing him with a coach such as O'Brien, Fleck, or Rhule would have chased the recruits away and prevented them from having a Top 10 class for 2021 and beyond?
Old 12-05-2019, 10:48 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown_9999 View Post
So getting rid of Helton and replacing him with a coach such as O'Brien, Fleck, or Rhule would have chased the recruits away and prevented them from having a Top 10 class for 2021 and beyond?
Bill O’Brien? He has the Texans set up for the playoffs, he’s not going anywhere. Maybe you mean James Franklin, the current Penn St coach? Rhule is getting an NFL job, he’s at the top of almost every vacancy list. Fleck hasn’t done anything Helton hasn’t.

And if you’re a recruit, how can you feel comfortable committing to USC when they guy recruiting you might not be there next yr? That’s absolutely an issue
Old 12-06-2019, 08:12 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Elder,

247/ CBS Sports agrees with you.

https://247sports.com/Article/USC-fo...ss--139836839/
Old 12-06-2019, 10:13 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Bill OíBrien? He has the Texans set up for the playoffs, heís not going anywhere. Maybe you mean James Franklin, the current Penn St coach? Rhule is getting an NFL job, heís at the top of almost every vacancy list. Fleck hasnít done anything Helton hasnít.

And if youíre a recruit, how can you feel comfortable committing to USC when they guy recruiting you might not be there next yr? Thatís absolutely an issue
My point was that if Southern Cal had made a change, regardless of who they picked, it would probably have a positive impact on their 2021 class.

At this point, I think most folks are in agreement that it will be very difficult for Helton to recruit for both 2020 and 2021 given the uncertainly that will follow him for the next 12 months.

Southern Cal needed to make a quick decision one way or the other and then show commitment to that decision. As the linked article mentioned, even a token contract extension would give Helton something to use with recruits.
Old 12-06-2019, 10:26 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Rhule is getting an NFL job, heís at the top of almost every vacancy list.
Has he expressed any interest ever about going the NFL route? I know he did the NY Giants thing for a brief spell, but wasn't sure if he ever mentioned wanting to be an NFL HC.
Old 12-06-2019, 11:14 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

So with Helton staying put does that mean Dallas has free range to promise Meyer the world?
Old 12-07-2019, 02:17 AM
Domer Domain Freshman

Quote:
Bill OíBrien? He has the Texans set up for the playoffs, heís not going anywhere. Maybe you mean James Franklin, the current Penn St coach? Rhule is getting an NFL job, heís at the top of almost every vacancy list. Fleck hasnít done anything Helton hasnít.

And if youíre a recruit, how can you feel comfortable committing to USC when they guy recruiting you might not be there next yr? Thatís absolutely an issue
You constantly do this thing where you state opinions as if their facts then call us dipshits, pussies or bitches when we disagree. Maybe Rhule will take an NFL job, but Lincoln Riley had NFL offers last off-season and heís still in college. Maybe Bill OíBrien doesnít want power taken away from him when the Texans finally hire a GM. Maybe you donít have any factual basis to say anything you say, but damn you like to argue like you are every coach out thereís agent.
Old 12-07-2019, 04:09 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dardo View Post
You constantly do this thing where you state opinions as if their facts then call us dipshits, pussies or bitches when we disagree. Maybe Rhule will take an NFL job, but Lincoln Riley had NFL offers last off-season and he’s still in college. Maybe Bill O’Brien doesn’t want power taken away from him when the Texans finally hire a GM. Maybe you don’t have any factual basis to say anything you say, but damn you like to argue like you are every coach out there’s agent.
Did Riley have any formal offers? Rhule has no attachment to Baylor or USC, why would he take the USC job over the NY Giants? Why would the Texans fire O'Brien when they're very likely going to make the playoffs again?

You're just the typical college football fan who thinks every major program has free access to whatever coach they want. That's not how things work. College Football fans of major programs are the most delusional, low IQ fans of any sport except the NFL. It's always "why don't we fire this guy, and hire this guy?", like it's that easy to do. If the USC AD didn't reach out to Urban or Franklin, then he's not doing his job. However, if he did reach out and they said no, what else can you do? $ isn't going to be a motivating factor for Urban and if Franklin wanted to get paid like Saban, he's not worth it.

Last edited by ELDER06; 12-07-2019 at 04:14 PM.
Old 12-07-2019, 05:06 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

I am 35 miles south of Los Angeles. Saying that the fanbase is apoplectic is a grotesque understatement.

LA fans are notoriously fickle and apathetic; that is not the case here. Bohn and Carol Folt are getting utterly killed in social and traditional media. They can't post anything on Twitter without receiving immediate and incessant invectives. The responses are a goldmine of comedy.

I have lived here most of my life and cannot recall anything similar.
Old 12-07-2019, 05:07 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Bill O’Brien? He has the Texans set up for the playoffs, he’s not going anywhere. Maybe you mean James Franklin, the current Penn St coach? Rhule is getting an NFL job, he’s at the top of almost every vacancy list. Fleck hasn’t done anything Helton hasn’t.

And if you’re a recruit, how can you feel comfortable committing to USC when they guy recruiting you might not be there next yr? That’s absolutely an issue
BTW, I included O'Brien as an example since you are on the record of wanting O'Brien as a coach instead of Kelly. I know that I was discussing Southern Cal but figured you were a O'Brien "fan boy".

Also, they were not my list of preferred replacement coaches. They were used as examples of possible new coaches for Southern Cal who would probably have better recruting classes than Helton in 2021.

Last edited by jbrown_9999; 12-07-2019 at 05:09 PM.
Old 12-07-2019, 08:40 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown_9999 View Post
BTW, I included O'Brien as an example since you are on the record of wanting O'Brien as a coach instead of Kelly. I know that I was discussing Southern Cal but figured you were a O'Brien "fan boy".

Also, they were not my list of preferred replacement coaches. They were used as examples of possible new coaches for Southern Cal who would probably have better recruting classes than Helton in 2021.
I am a fan of his based on what he did at Penn St. I only included him bc at the time it looked like he was going to be fired from the Texans. He somehow always manages to work himself off the hot seat.

When things inevitably end with the Texans, it will be interesting to see if he decides to find another NFL job or go back to College. He's had enough success in the NFL where he'll get offers from other NFL teams.
Old 12-07-2019, 08:48 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:

You're such a Kelly D rider you started disrespecting other successful head coaches. Its pathetic
Old 12-07-2019, 11:48 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

So now we know who can’t let the argument go. Well done.

How does your victory make you feel? Big and virile?

Are we incapable of moving on from such personal attacks based on disagreement about our coach’s suitability?

Nobody is changing anyone’s opinions. So why keep bickering?