Come check out the news feed! DD Front Page

Go Back   Notre Dame Football News And Talk > Message Board > Open Forum

Old 02-07-2020, 06:18 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltssb View Post
Sorry Jesse been busy...
First off, I will say I am NOT in favor of tearing down Columbusís statues or getting rid of Columbus Day. Actually, I oppose any statue being torn down even if it was built in 1970. I love history and think we can only learn from our past mistakes.
Anyways, I donít think the Europeans or Columbus himself brought disease on purpose or eradicated the Indians for the fun of it. But just like any disease-look at the coronavirus- it can spread quickly. Especially, if not understood on exactly how dangerous it is, it can be genocidal. So, yes, I do believe in the ďgerm theory.Ē
According to Jill Lepore and Howard Zinn, the Indians had 3m people living before Columbus and finished with around 5,000, afterwards. Viruses can spread pretty simple if youíve never had contact with the outside world. Why do you think they let the indigenous people in South America be?
Also, Columbus and crew did rape, pillaged, and enslaved the Indians. They have documents of Columbus saying as much. He considered the Indians dumb, yet strong. Easily manipulated and would be good workers. Regardless, I think about what would happen if we were to have an apocalyptic US? You know damn sure that their would be raping and pillaging of the weak. Too many strange people out there. Also, I think about the time period they lived in. Not much law, lots of wars, expansion and gold was priority A. Medicine and understanding disease was non-existent. So, did Columbus try to wipe out all the Indians with disease? Doubtful. But he did do some heinous acts while sailing the lands.
One last thing in terms of slaves. Thatís been going on since the Bible. So, itís not unimaginable. We did just have slaves 160 years ago....
Agree on Columbus and his men not being angels. Like I mentioned the germ/disease issue just rankles my feathers when people bring it up and the term genocide. It doesn't fit facts with intent given knowledge at the time. Yes disease took an immense toll but it was unintended when an isolated population came into contact with the newer Europeans. More specifically was there a difference between the contacts between Southern Europeans and the natives in the Caribbean/Latin America, than say northern coastal natives and the Vikings centuries before and the pathogen exposures? I don't know, but it would be interesting to find out.

With regard to slavery, many facts are glossed over by revisionist SJW types. Absolutely not denying it existed in the Americas. But many choose to ignore that there was a strong anti-slavery movement in early colonial America especially among groups like the Quakers among others well before the Declaration of Independence. It was an ongoing and evolving battle in our history that culminated in the Civil War and hundred if thousands paying the ultimate price. It really bothers me that everything is being boiled down to one overly simplified and incorrect narrative about historical events. And when people like Mr. Hogg and others tout this version of history its upsetting. Perhaps more uoseeting is when others go along with and agree with that message.

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 02-08-2020, 03:36 PM
Domer Domain All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemoore97 View Post
Agree on Columbus and his men not being angels. Like I mentioned the germ/disease issue just rankles my feathers when people bring it up and the term genocide. It doesn't fit facts with intent given knowledge at the time. Yes disease took an immense toll but it was unintended when an isolated population came into contact with the newer Europeans. More specifically was there a difference between the contacts between Southern Europeans and the natives in the Caribbean/Latin America, than say northern coastal natives and the Vikings centuries before and the pathogen exposures? I don't know, but it would be interesting to find out.

With regard to slavery, many facts are glossed over by revisionist SJW types. Absolutely not denying it existed in the Americas. But many choose to ignore that there was a strong anti-slavery movement in early colonial America especially among groups like the Quakers among others well before the Declaration of Independence. It was an ongoing and evolving battle in our history that culminated in the Civil War and hundred if thousands paying the ultimate price. It really bothers me that everything is being boiled down to one overly simplified and incorrect narrative about historical events. And when people like Mr. Hogg and others tout this version of history its upsetting. Perhaps more uoseeting is when others go along with and agree with that message.
Does he identify as a man? Guarantee in a few yrs, heíll be trans. Heís such a duche, Iím glad Louis CK made fun of him. He seemed to be genuine in his talks after the Parkland tragedy, but now heís just gone full SJW for attention
Old 02-08-2020, 04:46 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELDER06 View Post
Does he identify as a man? Guarantee in a few yrs, heíll be trans. Heís such a duche, Iím glad Louis CK made fun of him. He seemed to be genuine in his talks after the Parkland tragedy, but now heís just gone full SJW for attention
He's been full on SJW from the get go.
Old 02-08-2020, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishwavend View Post
I guess you missed the part where this is the "Open" forum... You can still go limit your discussion to Recruiting and Football in the proper forum. But, you ignore the world in which Columbus lived. You act like everyone aside from Europeans was innocent when they were just as brutal, if not worst, in their conquests. It was conquer or be conquered. Europeans simply had more in their arsenal, but don't think for a moment, that the people of the Americas wouldn't have ripped out some hearts and taken Europe in the same manner, or worse. Grow a pair...
You see, in today's world, people who think like Jim2Dokes are all or nothing. If you have a different opinion than they do on something, then ALL of your opinions are worthless and you are beneath them. This is the epitome of the Democratic party right now, which is why I will be voting for my first Republican President in 2020 (fun fact: Ill vote for Trump and I am not racist, sexist, or a bigot in any way. Shocker isnt it...).
Old 02-10-2020, 01:49 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDhoosier View Post
You see, in today's world, people who think like Jim2Dokes are all or nothing. If you have a different opinion than they do on something, then ALL of your opinions are worthless and you are beneath them.
This is true for both republicans and democrats. The back and forth hypocrisy is comical! In general people spend way too much time and energy with this political BS, I have friends that are consumed, its really sad. Go get a hobby and enjoy life. For the love of God!

Old 04-04-2020, 02:12 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Curious to gauge the temperature in this room at current. Your president is about to have a pretty scrutinized weekend from the rest of the world after his 3M comments.
Old 04-04-2020, 02:50 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Why? Because he feels as though the company should provide the necessary equipment for our country first? They benefited greatly from legislation that has been passed under this administration. Expecting them to step up and provide PPE to our frontline emergency workers before profiting by selling to other countries isnít Ďwrong.í Sure, itís a global economy and pandemic, but I can assure you that other countries have the expectation that companies within their borders should help their locations first and those outside of their borders second.

I donít see whatís wrong with those expectations.

https://m.startribune.com/3m-sees-4q...74683/?ito=792

3M said its tax rate under the new "Tax Cuts and Jobs Act" will fall to 20 percent to 22 percent in 2018, down from a prior rate of 26 percent to 27 percent. Executives said they will use the savings to boost returns for shareholders, increase pension reserves and to invest in the company.
Old 04-04-2020, 03:31 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Easy to discount the cooperative trade our two countries have shared forever...

The ramifications of statements like that are nothing short of inflammatory to Canada and the rest of the world.

This is bigger than just masks and the selfishness of it under present circumstances are not being viewed well by the rest of the world...

Just giving you a non-American perspective.

Our Prime Minister is getting grilled about what his response will be and he’s not taking the bait. He’s trying to take the high road.

He’s reminding them that the screening tests they are using in the US came from us...
Old 04-04-2020, 04:06 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Iím not concerned with how the rest of the world views our country much like how the rest of the world could care less of what US citizens think about them.
Old 04-04-2020, 05:10 PM
Domer Domain Junior

At this point, I hope no one else dies and we can be self sufficient and not so reliant on China after this whole thing
Old 04-04-2020, 07:10 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRizz View Post
At this point, I hope no one else dies and we can be self sufficient and not so reliant on China after this whole thing
No else dies?
Old 04-04-2020, 08:36 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by stdntDrvr View Post
Iím not concerned with how the rest of the world views our country much like how the rest of the world could care less of what US citizens think about them.
As our neighbours to the south, I care very much about your country, its citizens and its wellbeing.
Old 04-04-2020, 09:00 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

But you claim our presidentís daily briefings are your source of comedy, yet you want him to forego his duty to the people of this country for the sake of yours?

Mutual respect is a thing, and you make it seem is though itís a one way street.
Old 04-04-2020, 09:20 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

It is hilarious. His disrespect to the press is shameful deflection...

One can look after his own country while helping out others...

Where does the pulp for the 3M masks come from? Up here...

To stop the supply up here outright reeks... spin it any way you want...
Old 04-04-2020, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketsan View Post
It is hilarious. His disrespect to the press is shameful deflection...

One can look after his own country while helping out others...

Where does the pulp for the 3M masks come from? Up here...

To stop the supply up here outright reeks... spin it any way you want...
The press doesn’t have much credibility. They’ve been caught exaggerating or downright lying about several giant stories in just the last year. Cov Cath, Jussie Smollet, Russiagate. It’s sad but CNN is now no better than Fox News.

And don’t talk s**t about our country. To the rest of the world, you’re just that country north of America. You have no identity, you’re nothing without the US, so maybe learn your place and shut your mouth.
Old 04-04-2020, 09:39 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
You should care when many Americans travel abroad and want to feel secure walking around these countries. Not to mention our troops in these countries. But letís spit on , curse, and demean every country just because we are the big bad wolf. Makes sense.
Old 04-04-2020, 09:40 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Theyíre both disrespectful...but to complain that our president isnít bending to meet your needs as you sit there and criticize him is a little misguided. If you want something that someone else has, mocking them is not how you get your needs met, is it? Thatís really effed up logic if you think you can call the leader of a nation Ďcomedyí while expecting them to come to your rescue. Thatís not how real life works.

We all know Trump has ton of faults, but he has surrounded himself with a great group of people who have been working tirelessly around the clock. Could we use more respect between both Trump and the press corps? Absolutely, but if you look at it from his perspective, heís on constant defense because the majority of the people in that room are from a different political spectrum and try to catch him saying or doing something wrong. Iím sure heís frustrated and it comes out in that room. Heís human too. Perhaps taking away twitter would be a good idea, but good luck with that.

All that being said, itís not the lack of compassion for others that has him criticizing 3M, his duty is to the American people. If a company within the US is choosing profit over the people of this country, Trump is expected to call them out on it and do something about it.

It would be one thing if our people had the things they need to fight this thing, but weíre short on a lot of things. I donít know why itís such a difficult concept to understand.

I voted for him, but I wouldnít call myself a supporter. Iíd vote for a Dem if they werenít all anti2a, but thatís another topic for another time.
Old 04-04-2020, 09:41 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
The press doesnít have much credibility. Theyíve been caught exaggerating or downright lying about several giant stories in just the last year. Cov Cath, Jussie Smollet, Russiagate. Itís sad but CNN is now no better than Fox News.

And donít talk s**t about our country. To the rest of the world, youíre just that country north of America. You have no identity, youíre nothing without the US, so maybe learn your place and shut your mouth.
After the way Fox downplayed this virus and in some corners is still downplaying it, you can never mention them in the same breath as any ďnewsĒ source. Fauci just lit them up recently.
Old 04-04-2020, 09:43 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Quote:
And don’t talk s**t about our country. To the rest of the world, you’re just that country north of America. You have no identity, you’re nothing without the US, so maybe learn your place and shut your mouth.
Take a read above....
Old 04-04-2020, 09:43 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
You should care when many Americans travel abroad and want to feel secure walking around these countries. Not to mention our troops in these countries. But letís spit on , curse, and demean every country just because we are the big bad wolf. Makes sense.
Quit spinning it to fit your view. Do any of these countries care what I think of them?

We are hated around the world for reasons other than PPE. We give billions of dollars to countries that despise us, and for what in return? They still hate us and always will. Money and PPE isnít going to change their minds...neither will some guyís opinion on an ND message board.
Old 04-04-2020, 09:44 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketsan View Post
As our neighbours to the south, I care very much about your country, its citizens and its wellbeing.
Elder... as I said...
Old 04-04-2020, 09:48 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
After the way Fox downplayed this virus and in some corners is still downplaying it, you can never mention them in the same breath as any ďnewsĒ source. Fauci just lit them up recently.
Fox really did downplay the entire situation from day 1. Itís a shame because it placed a ton of people in danger.
Old 04-04-2020, 09:53 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Quit spinning it to fit your view. Do any of these countries care what I think of them?

We are hated around the world for reasons other than PPE. We give billions of dollars to countries that despise us, and for what in return? They still hate us and always will. Money and PPE isnít going to change their minds...neither will some guyís opinion on an ND message board.
Why are we hated around the world? Care to explain? Many countries have been our allies or friends for many years. Yet, This president has **** on ALL of them at some point.
In regards to my narrative. Your opinion does matter. You voted for this blowhard which represents America. The president is a direct correlation to the viewís of Americasís needs and how other countries view us. Try traveling around the world for once.
Old 04-04-2020, 10:01 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
All that being said, itís not the lack of compassion for others that has him criticizing 3M, his duty is to the American people. If a company within the US is choosing profit over the people of this country, Trump is expected to call them out on it and do something about it.
Him spitting on 3M was a footnote in this debacle. I'm quite surprised it took such a turn as it's not really that big of deal imo.

The duty to the country is a what has been ignored. He completely brushed this off until about two weeks ago! They were briefed in January yet has only recently taken it seriously. The damage done by underplaying this on Fox is unmeasurable. It is a cluster**** of epic proportions and really didn't have to be this bad.
Old 04-04-2020, 10:11 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Why are we hated around the world? Care to explain? Many countries have been our allies or friends for many years. Yet, This president has **** on ALL of them at some point.
In regards to my narrative. Your opinion does matter. You voted for this blowhard which represents America. The president is a direct correlation to the viewís of Americasís needs and how other countries view us. Try traveling around the world for once.
Iran, NK, China, Russia...the list goes on and on. None of them give two craps about who our leader is because at most they are in power for 8 years. Youíre not going to change their minds by having someone else in power.