Notre Dame Football News And Talk  

Come check out the news feed! DD Front Page

Go Back   Notre Dame Football News And Talk > Message Board > Other ND Sports

Old 10-30-2020, 04:26 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Default MBB Non-Conference

It was announced yesterday that ND will play Ohio State on December 8th in the ACC/Big 10 Challenge.

ND announced today that they added a non-conference game against Michigan State on November 28th (at MSU).

Losing Mooney is huge, but I'm excited about the team this year. Excited to see the junior class continue to progress, and hopefully Durham excels in a full-time role as ND's next great big man.

If Santa Clara transfer Trey Wertz was playing, I think ND would be a dangerous team in the ACC.

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 11-07-2020, 03:21 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Quote:
Originally Posted by tneun89 View Post
It was announced yesterday that ND will play Ohio State on December 8th in the ACC/Big 10 Challenge.

ND announced today that they added a non-conference game against Michigan State on November 28th (at MSU).

Losing Mooney is huge, but I'm excited about the team this year. Excited to see the junior class continue to progress, and hopefully Durham excels in a full-time role as ND's next great big man.

If Santa Clara transfer Trey Wertz was playing, I think ND would be a dangerous team in the ACC.

Mooney was a good player, but I don't think he is going to be a huge loss. Durham and Nate look like they have added on some good weight. I look for them to more than make up for the Mooney loss this year. I look for this team to be a lot better than they have been the last couple of years. Losing the freshman Taylor for the year hurts the low post depth.

The non conference schedule is absolutely brutal, but will hopefully be fun to watch. Ohio st., Michigan st., Purdue, Howard, Western Mich., Tennessee, and Kentucky. Add on to that home and home with Duke and Virginia. Wow!

I don't know for sure, but I think there is a movement still ongoing to make all transfers eligible this year because of Covid. If that is the case then a backcourt of Trey, Dane, Prentis, and Cormack would be fantastic.
Old 11-07-2020, 09:31 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Trey will be the only one in the country not eligible...
Old 11-10-2020, 05:33 AM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishrush View Post
Trey will be the only one in the country not eligible...
Iíve read that he didnít even want to apply for a waiver and wants to redshirt. If the NCAA grants basketball players a free year like they did for football, Iíd see no reason why heíd still sit. But that has to happen for him to get on the court this season.
Old 11-10-2020, 03:56 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Here's what the beginning of ND's basketball schedule looks like. It will be entertaining and exciting, but probably very rough considering the number of high profile teams ND has to play right out of the gate. For those scoring at home, ND plays 6 ranked teams in their first 9 games...

Nov. 28: #13 Michigan State
Dec. 2: Western Michigan
Dec. 4: #12 Tennessee
Dec. 8: #23 Ohio State
Dec. 12: #10 Kentucky
Dec. 16: #9 Duke
Dec. 19: Purdue
Dec. 22: Syracuse
Dec. 29: #4 Virginia
Old 11-30-2020, 02:59 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

We looked OK for the first 10 minutes or so, then MSU went on like a 29-0 run. That was some really bad bball to watch.
I got distracted and missed most of the 2nd half, but we played a little better towards the end and only lost by 10 after being down closer to 30 for a good part of the middle of the game.

We need some more strength on D and just better flow on offense. There are some good pieces here, but I think our lack of true big man depth is going to hurt. I would say Durham did not look good in the parts of the game I saw. He was forcing offense and could not hit around the rim.
Old 11-30-2020, 03:21 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Quote:
We looked OK for the first 10 minutes or so, then MSU went on like a 29-0 run. That was some really bad bball to watch.
I got distracted and missed most of the 2nd half, but we played a little better towards the end and only lost by 10 after being down closer to 30 for a good part of the middle of the game.

We need some more strength on D and just better flow on offense. There are some good pieces here, but I think our lack of true big man depth is going to hurt. I would say Durham did not look good in the parts of the game I saw. He was forcing offense and could not hit around the rim.
I didnít see the whole game either so I am going to bite my tongue (or fingers) but anyone that doesnít think we are going to miss Mooney needs to watch a game this year.
Old 11-30-2020, 04:45 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

It was rough to watch for sure. Durham was awful! Hopefully he picks it up. The ball movement and spacing on offense were awful! Often they had no plan on offense. I think these two things will get better as the year progresses.

I saw some glimmers of hope with the 3 point shooting. This has not been good for the last two years. Brey teams have to be able to hit lights out from the perimeter. I think it will be better this year especially if they get the spacing and the movement on offense right.

The place that will hurt them the most is on D. They are way too slow and not athletic enough on perimeter D. This will most likely plague them all year. Next year the additions of Wertz and Wesley will help tremendously.
Old 12-02-2020, 01:11 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

I don't feel quite as badly now about our MSU game. They just beat Duke.
Old 12-02-2020, 02:57 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Quote:
I don't feel quite as badly now about our MSU game. They just beat Duke.
Not surprised MSU has a really good team. That 80 - 70 MSU/ND score is miss leading the game was never close.
Old 12-09-2020, 02:33 AM
Domer Domain Junior

Same old same old for Brey. He doesnít recruit enough players, which results in short benches. I realize 2 are hurt and one is getting screwed over. OSU completely dominated inside when Durham went out! Iím not feeling the Brey tenure anymore, time to go.
Old 12-09-2020, 04:48 AM
Domer Domain All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianKellyTheMan View Post
Same old same old for Brey. He doesnít recruit enough players, which results in short benches. I realize 2 are hurt and one is getting screwed over. OSU completely dominated inside when Durham went out! Iím not feeling the Brey tenure anymore, time to go.
Iíve wanted Brey gone after seeing Murphy & Humphrey wasted and getting worse under him. Heís not a good coach and never has been... Always uses the Ty Willingham and Bob Davie excuses for his failures... He sucks.
Old 12-09-2020, 12:11 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

I think Brey is a good coach, but his failure to recruit has put us into this boat currently.
We have no viable big men, although I thought Zona did a nice job coming off the bench.

Our kids need to eat a sandwich and get in the weight room.

It was men vs boys again.

That being said, we were winning most of this game and were in it right to the end. Just need a closer.
Old 12-12-2020, 06:09 PM
Domer Domain Junior

ND killing Kentucky at halftime - up 48-26. Shooting over 50% from 3PT. Long way to go, but Kentucky does not look good at all - would be a nice win to get back to .500. Laszewski has been unstoppable.
Old 12-12-2020, 06:10 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

We look good!
Old 12-12-2020, 06:42 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Oops...spoke too soon
Old 12-12-2020, 06:46 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

12 minutes without a basket?
Old 12-12-2020, 07:13 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

A must win and a lucky win. I'm not a Brey hater, but two games in a row he got completely out coached. ken. and o$u made very good halftime adjustments and coaching decisions. Brey did not and got lucky as hell with this win. Djogo should never see another min. in an ND uniform, yet he continues to get decent minutes. No Sanders or Zona in the second half. Terrible decision.
Old 12-12-2020, 08:01 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domers23 View Post
A must win and a lucky win. I'm not a Brey hater, but two games in a row he got completely out coached. ken. and o$u made very good halftime adjustments and coaching decisions. Brey did not and got lucky as hell with this win. Djogo should never see another min. in an ND uniform, yet he continues to get decent minutes. No Sanders or Zona in the second half. Terrible decision.
After the first half, I thought to myself that it was the best half of ND basketball that I've watched in probably 3-4 seasons - and I watch most of the games. To follow that up with a sloppy, completely inept performance in the second half was beyond infuriating. I'm glad they won, but this is not a game to hang your hat on. This Kentucky team is not good. They have some players, but this is not a typical Kentucky team.

I thought after last season that Brey's time at ND is up. I really love him - he is a great personality and has really done a terrific job for 20 plus years with some great moments (two Elite Eights and an ACC Championship) - but his teams have been bad for 2+ seasons and not truly competitive in the ACC. ND is not UNC or Duke or UVA, but it's not a lot to ask for them to be a consistent Top 25 team and at least be competitive with the bluebloods in the ACC. The 2018 class - Laz, Hubb, Goodwin, Carmody - was supposed to be Brey's best class. They have been so inconsistent for 2 years and through three games this season. Laz played the best half of his life in the first half, then completely disappeared. Hubb takes some really, really bad shots and is always good for a few unforced turnovers or terrible decisions handling the basketball. For Brey to only have 3 bench players today, including 2 true freshman, is unacceptable - injuries or not. His roster management has always been bad - I don't know why he insists on not using all available scholarships.

I love Brey and hope ND can build some momentum from this win and compete in the ACC. It's certainly a weird year, so ND should be able to compete with most teams, especially with Duke and UNC having down years. But the last 2+ seasons have been uninspiring, and I think the program could use a fresh voice and a new direction.
Old 12-12-2020, 08:24 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

I did see some blurb that the NCAA is supposed to approve the pending transfers, so this will be nice.
Wertz will be available for Duke on Wednesday hopefully.
We just need a little more juice off the bench and someone that can help Djogo sit.
Old 12-13-2020, 06:33 AM
Domer Domain Walk-On

I saw that. If Wertz is anywhere near where he should be, he will be starting within 5 games. Durham will get a lot more pine time. IMHO The starting lineup getting most of the min. Will be Ryan, hubb, Goodwin, Wertz and laz.
Old 12-13-2020, 03:55 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Tneun89 & Domers23 I am in total agreement with you guys about Brey. I must be the unluckiest guy around. I missed the first half of the Kentucky game and got to watch the entire second half 🤮. We are lucky we won.
Old 12-13-2020, 08:27 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Hope we can stay lucky and beat Puke, I mean Duke.
Old 12-14-2020, 02:40 AM
Domer Domain Junior

Would be nice for him to gracefully exit. He's had some good years here for sure, but his philosophy of only having 9-10 guys on the roster and only playing 7 are something for a school like Iona. Same thing every year. They get worn down late in the season. Lately he hasn't even had a team worthy of sniffing the NCAA tourney. Would be nice for a change.
Old 12-17-2020, 02:20 AM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Wertz finally granted eligibility and playing against Duke.