Notre Dame Football News And Talk  

Come check out the news feed! DD Front Page

Go Back   Notre Dame Football News And Talk > Message Board > Open Forum

Old 01-30-2019, 12:45 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Default Holy Sh*t It's Cold!

I saw the temp gauge in my squad last night clock in at -23, and I heard the radio say we were -51 or -52 with the wind chill breaking the official record for coldest day in Cedar Rapids set in '96! We were colder than Anchoridge and the South Pole too. Sad thing is tonight may break that new record...yee haw!

Thankfully I'll be in shorts and a t-shirt by the weekend catching some rays on my deck and temps in the balmy +20's range. A 70+ temp change and still below zero hah! Stay safe and warm upper midwesterners.

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 01-30-2019, 01:41 PM
Domer Domain All American

All I can think, besides hoping people can survive this cold - literally - is please god, i hope we aren't recruiting anyone during this...
Old 01-30-2019, 04:40 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishwavend View Post
All I can think, besides hoping people can survive this cold - literally - is please god, i hope we aren't recruiting anyone during this...
Yeah, that would be a mood killer. -15 here, windchill around -34. My dog loves to go outside but even he wants none of this nonsense.
Old 01-30-2019, 04:54 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Jeez that’s pretty damn cold for Iowa!

Apparently Winnipeg was the coldest place on earth yesterday... can’t remember the temp but it was -55 with the windchill or around there.

I spend about half of my workday outside too, thankfully this cold spell is ending tomorrow.
Old 01-30-2019, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish_Convert View Post
Yeah, that would be a mood killer. -15 here, windchill around -34. My dog loves to go outside but even he wants none of this nonsense.
I am pretty sure my dog is just holding it at this point. When she goes out, she is only out there long enough to run down the steps and then right back up....so she is either holding it or has mastered doing her business and walking at the same time.
Old 01-31-2019, 01:39 AM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishGuy View Post
I am pretty sure my dog is just holding it at this point. When she goes out, she is only out there long enough to run down the steps and then right back up....so she is either holding it or has mastered doing her business and walking at the same time.
I took him down to the mailbox and back and he's figured out it's too cold to be out. He had to go out around 3AM today so I put his retractable leash on him, he went maybe three feet past the steps, dumped on the sidewalk and came right back. Figured I would clean it up today but it's frozen and also frozen to the sidewalk.

Looks like tomorrow is the last bad day.
Old 01-31-2019, 04:14 AM

Not to inject global warming here, but which would you rather try to survive - extreme heat or extreme cold...? Saw it was colder than Mars in some places.
Old 01-31-2019, 04:31 AM
Administrator
Domer Domain Legend

Yea, I had to work in this as well. It's amazing how fast things get cold. I would be out of my squad car only for about 2 minutes to check an alarm and didn't think it was too bad because I have so many layers on. Went back into my squad car and in those minutes, the fabric of my clothing held so much cold that I could feel it from the pressure of sitting down. Might try the boiling water thing tonight. LOL

"
If we were in the wild, I would attack u. Even if u weren’t in my food chain, I would go out of my way to attack u!" ~Manti Teo

Old 01-31-2019, 01:03 PM

Did you see them lighting those railroad tracks on fire to keep them from contracting and ripping out of the ground?
Old 01-31-2019, 01:13 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Not to inject global warming here, but which would you rather try to survive - extreme heat or extreme cold...? Saw it was colder than Mars in some places.
Heat. Even in extreme heat plants and animals can survive, sometimes even thrive in higher temps. Cold or absence of heat kills.
Old 01-31-2019, 01:18 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedsterX View Post
Yea, I had to work in this as well. It's amazing how fast things get cold. I would be out of my squad car only for about 2 minutes to check an alarm and didn't think it was too bad because I have so many layers on. Went back into my squad car and in those minutes, the fabric of my clothing held so much cold that I could feel it from the pressure of sitting down. Might try the boiling water thing tonight. LOL
Alarm calls all night for us too. Even the knuckleheads know it's too cold to go out and play though. At least last night we didn't have the wind like we did Tuesday, but our squad temp gauge was going between -22 and -31 over the course of the night, I haven't checked what the WC was but I think we broke the previous record from Tues.
Old 01-31-2019, 08:21 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Did you see them lighting those railroad tracks on fire to keep them from contracting and ripping out of the ground?
I saw that but someone I know said it was also to keep the switches that allow trains to change tracks from freezing.
Old 01-31-2019, 09:52 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedsterX View Post
It was only -4° here this morning so that's balmy compared to you guys. If either of you guys are patch guys PM me, I'm really not but I can hook you up if you are.
Old 02-01-2019, 01:32 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Apparently we may get to mid forties by Sunday. So i may have to break out the banana hammock and catch some rays! 😆
Old 02-05-2019, 10:26 PM
Domer Domain Freshman

I grew up in the Big State and my sister went to college in Fairbanks for 4 years. I'm watching these news reports about the "Polar Vortex" and I keep thinking about people in Fairbanks. They have to be, "Wait...... -25 isn't normal this time of year?"
Old 02-17-2019, 01:04 AM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Ya’ll are soft.

Love Canada
Old 02-19-2019, 01:39 AM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
I saw that. Crazy stuff