Notre Dame Football News And Talk  

Come check out the news feed! DD Front Page

Go Back   Notre Dame Football News And Talk > Message Board > General Discussion

Old 05-28-2013, 11:13 PM
Banned
Domer Domain Walk-On

Default Are you guys happy with Kellys QB grooming since he has been here

Seems like nobody can grasp his offense and the position has been a turnstial.

Meanwhile Urban Meyer goes undefeated in year one with Braxton Miller, Manziel goes nuts at AM, Stanford easily replaces Luck and Saban wins titles with a sophomore and junior.

Something isnt right here. What the heck is going on with Kelly and his QB's?

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 05-28-2013, 11:23 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolver View Post

Meanwhile Urban Meyer goes undefeated in year one with Braxton Miller, Manziel goes nuts at AM, Stanford easily replaces Luck and Saban wins titles with a sophomore and junior.

He has MAC level QB Rees 14-4 as a starter and a redhusrt freshman 12-1 as a starter with huge upside.

And you think he can't coach QB's?

Rees belongs at bowling Green and Kelly has him 14-4. Think about that.

Golson was as raw as they come and he is 12-1.

What exactly are we complaining about? I mean, did I miss that Kelly went 12-0 last year also with a first year QB, better than Manziel and equal to Miller, who was in his second year starting?

How many coaches would you say would be 26-5 in their last 31 games, at the highest level of BCS play, with Tommy Rees and Golson at QB? I'd guess maybe 3 or 4.

Last edited by corysold; 05-28-2013 at 11:33 PM.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:38 PM
Domer Domain Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by corysold View Post
He has MAC level QB Rees 14-4 as a starter and a redhusrt freshman 12-1 as a starter with huge upside.

And you think he can't coach QB's?

Rees belongs at bowling Green and Kelly has him 14-4. Think about that.

Golson was as raw as they come and he is 12-1.

What exactly are we complaining about? I mean, did I miss that Kelly went 12-0 last year also with a first year QB, better than Manziel and equal to Miller, who was in his second year starting?

How many coaches would you say would be 26-5 in their last 31 games, at the highest level of BCS play, with Tommy Rees and Golson at QB? I'd guess maybe 3 or 4.
This. I guess this year will say a lot about him, too. If he can make Rees a 10-2 QB, or hell even Hendrix or Zaire, he will be the ultimate QB guru.

Even though the sky has fallen, I am pretty sure that BK will make some chicken salad this fall.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:50 PM
Banned
Domer Domain Walk-On

Lets be real though cory. We won 12 games on defense and running the ball. Golson was very limited and was replaced several times. I think most would agree that we were a 10-2 or 9-3 team that had everything go right for a change and was boat raced Alabama.

I get that Rees is very intelligent and knows the offense inside and out but why cant any of these guys who are far more talented beat him out? Crist, Hendrix, Massa, Kiel, ect? These were talented guys who everyone wanted and not one can run Kellys offense? Where is this great offensive mind we were told about?
Old 05-28-2013, 11:57 PM
Domer Domain Junior

I am happy with Kelly and his handling of QB's. I agree - would've been nice if BK walked into a Braxton Miller.
Old 05-29-2013, 01:33 AM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

There is really no basis for being critical of kelly when it comes to the QB situation---

He recruited an exciting talent in Golson--he groomed him in his redshirt year and with some tactical use of the veteran REES he got us to the TITLE game and the first undefeated season in a long time---

He has gotten the MOST out of REES who likely would not even be recruited by kelly at this point---WEIS recruited tommy & dayne--kelly recruited Kiel/Golson & Zaire

WE WERE JUST SET AT QB---Golson playing exciting ball ready to become a national figure with three years of eligibility ahead of him--Malik looking like Golson 2.0 waiting in the wings in case of injury---WE WERE GOLDEN at the QB SPOT---

Now its a mess--the fault lies with EVERETT not BK---

aloha's
Old 05-29-2013, 02:02 AM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Default QBs

We wouldn`t be having this conversation if Golson was coming back next year. We would be saying that he is a great coach, which he is.
Hendrix nor Rees is a Div 1 QB.
Golson might have a future at ND but I think Zaire will be better and will hold on to the starting job. I don`t have first hand knowledge but have heard several times that Zaire is a better runner.
Old 05-29-2013, 02:27 AM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Revolver did you just start rooting for Notre Dame?
Old 05-29-2013, 02:45 AM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

How come we even respond to this nonsense?
Old 05-29-2013, 02:53 AM
Domer Domain All American

Send a message via AIM to Franco

I think the better question is why have we been cursed at QB since Clausen?

This was supposed to be the first year where we didn't have to go through growing pains with the QB...

Even with Clausen, we only really only got one good year out of him; you can say that that 5 out of the past 6 years or 7 out of the past 10 years, we've had to endure growing pains with a QB...now THAT is BS
Old 05-29-2013, 04:35 AM
Domer Domain Veteran

Send a message via Yahoo to JTennant

Quote:

Are you comparing Brian Kelly's handling of the QB's to Charlie Weis, Tyrone Willingham, or perhaps.. Bob Davie?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OklahomaIrish View Post
How come we even respond to this nonsense?
Because the last couple times he posted this nonsense, us as posters were able to effectively shut him the **** up.

This is probably one of his last attempts for a while.

Last edited by JTennant; 05-29-2013 at 04:38 AM.
Old 05-29-2013, 05:13 AM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Quote:
Lets be real though cory. We won 12 games on defense and running the ball. Golson was very limited and was replaced several times. I think most would agree that we were a 10-2 or 9-3 team that had everything go right for a change and was boat raced Alabama.

I get that Rees is very intelligent and knows the offense inside and out but why cant any of these guys who are far more talented beat him out? Crist, Hendrix, Massa, Kiel, ect? These were talented guys who everyone wanted and not one can run Kellys offense? Where is this great offensive mind we were told about?
What you're not taking into account here is that Saban has had more time to recruit, with all the perks that SEC recruiting affords him, at Alabama. He plugs a mediocre QB into an offense with NFL talent RB's and WR's, along with the all-first round O-line. Is it surprising that his QB looks good, as a result? What about Meyer? He walked into a stacked deck at OSU, due to years of recruiting success by Sweater Vest. Add to that Braxton Miller was, what, a five-star out of high school? And you're surprised that Braxton Miller looks good?

What did Kelly walk into? Empty cupboards (basically), thanks to Weis, at several key positions on offense. More importantly, even at spots with great starters he was severely lacking any depth. Then plug in MAC-calibre Tommy Rees, and don't forget that Golson was a 3-star coming out of HS. I would call his record thus far with his QB's to be STELLAR.
Old 05-29-2013, 05:46 AM
Banned
Domer Domain Walk-On

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShamrockShapedTurds View Post
What you're not taking into account here is that Saban has had more time to recruit, with all the perks that SEC recruiting affords him, at Alabama. He plugs a mediocre QB into an offense with NFL talent RB's and WR's, along with the all-first round O-line. Is it surprising that his QB looks good, as a result? What about Meyer? He walked into a stacked deck at OSU, due to years of recruiting success by Sweater Vest. Add to that Braxton Miller was, what, a five-star out of high school? And you're surprised that Braxton Miller looks good?

What did Kelly walk into? Empty cupboards (basically), thanks to Weis, at several key positions on offense. More importantly, even at spots with great starters he was severely lacking any depth. Then plug in MAC-calibre Tommy Rees, and don't forget that Golson was a 3-star coming out of HS. I would call his record thus far with his QB's to be STELLAR.
You make some good points Shamrock. Hopefully our running game and defense will be able to carry us again this year regardless of who the qb is. Im definitely looking forward to seeing Zaire play eventually.
Old 05-29-2013, 01:09 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:

Revolver, you are once again proving your lack of football knowledge... you're officially on my sh*tlist. You are the knee-jerk reaction, under-educated type of fan that gives the rest of us a bad name. Let me guess... you frequent NDNation, don't you....

You're arguing that BK has mismanaged the QB situation... Let's look at what BK has had to work with:

Dayne Crist: highly rated talent with 2 bad wheels and the mental fortitude of a 3rd grade girl. The dude melted down anytime things got rough. Use the USF game and the entire season at Kansas last year as examples. He couldn't even hold on to the job at Kansas last year. NOT BK'S FAULT.

Tommy Rees: as many posters have pointed out, the kid is a MAC level talent with "gamer" qualities. He's a good locker room guy but not the type of talent that can lead a storied program back to the top. This was his only option when Crist was out. I'm failing to see the mismanagement there.

Andrew Hendrix: the dude got a shot and proved that he was not ready. 48% passing is not even close to good enough at ND. Failing to see how BK has mismanaged him either.

Gunner Kiel: The kid (and I say kid because the dude is clearly not an adult) can't decide which shoe to put on first, let alone which school to attend. He clearly doesn't want competition and he said as much after leaving ND. He wants to start without having to earn it. BK cleared the slate for him this spring by letting Tommy know that his practice reps with the 1's were going to be given to Gunner. Gunner essentially had the #2 spot already and would now be the likely starter heading into 2013. Again, not mismanaged.

Everett Golson: As much as we would have preferred it, EG was not ready to take the reigns completely last year. Athletically and physically, he was ready. Mentally, not ready. Take the Michigan game for example. Looked kinda like Crist in that game. The lights were too bright. I'll admit that at the time, I questioned why Golson was pulled for Tommy, but now I see. Golson still has issues with poor judgement (obviously, he's not with us for 2013 due to his lack of maturity). BK sees the potential in the kid, but he struggled getting to meetings on time for the first year on campus. Golson is still a work in progress.

Looking back, I think Brian Kelly has done a great job considering the hand he was dealt.

Now, lets look at the coaches and players you compared him to:

Braxton Miller: Really, what did Urban Liar have to manage here? He was handed a loaded team with a 5 star talent at QB. Do you remember how highly Miller was recruited? Come on. There is nothing to manage here, so don't give him credit where none is due.

Manziel won the fricken Heisman. He was the first "freshman" to do so. He is the exception, not the rule. But hey, why can't we have that too? wah wah wah!!!!!! I want Johnny football!!!!

Stanford???? Really? They had a QB controversy halfway through the season last year. Nunes, a senior, first replaced Luck and was their starter until he got hurt. He was not very good. 52% completion with 10 td's and 7 picks. He was replaced later in the year with a sophomore that looks to be the future, Kevin Hogan. How is this scenario managed better than BK's team?

Dude... you need to calm the F down and get off BK's jock. You have no idea what you're talking about.

Last edited by MyFightingIrish; 05-29-2013 at 01:16 PM.