Notre Dame Football News And Talk  

Come check out the news feed! DD Front Page

Go Back   Notre Dame Football News And Talk > Message Board > General Discussion

Old 09-20-2020, 11:52 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Default Book vs. Jurkovec games against Duke

Did not watch the BC/Duke game but noticed that

1) BC beat Duke by more (26 to 6) on the road than ND did at home (27 to 13). Also, it was Jurkovec's and BC's first game while it was Duke's second.

2) Jurkovec had a better day against Duke than Book did.

Jurkovec: 17/23 300 2 TD 1 Int
Book: 19/31 263 1 TD 1 Int

3) Jurkovec also had a better day vs Duke than Book did against USF

Book: 12/19 143 0 TD 0 Int

Will ND miss having Jurkovec on the roster?

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 09-21-2020, 12:15 AM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Maybe. Maybe not. At this point the only thing that matters is that we donít loose to BC while he is there.
Old 09-21-2020, 12:27 AM
Domer Domain All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown_9999 View Post

1) BC beat Duke by more (26 to 6) on the road than ND did at home (27 to 13). Also, it was Jurkovec's and BC's first game while it was Duke's second.

How much did BC run? Did they institute a new blocking scheme? Was Duke BCís opener?
Old 09-21-2020, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFA03_HUGENDFAN View Post
Maybe. Maybe not. At this point the only thing that matters is that we donít loose to BC while he is there.
Yeah, we need to tighten up against BC... Hang tight. Tighten the screws on them. Tighten then noose around their necks. Keep it tight against the run. Tighten their butts with fear.
Old 09-21-2020, 12:40 AM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown_9999 View Post

Jurkovek gave me hope for an ND national championship. He has the size of Fields and Lawrence and is a good runner and a decent passer. Not saying he is close to Fields or Lawrence just that he has a higher ceiling than Book. We all know he will play with a chip on his shoulder against the Irish and it is the week after Clemson so there is going to be some emotional let down no matter what the coaches do.
Old 09-21-2020, 02:48 PM
Administrator
Domer Domain Legend

It's hard to compare because you have BK notoriously keeping the playbook to a minimum--doing enough to win but not showing too much.

Toss sweeps, 3 TE sets, misdirection, QB under-center, heavier dose of run-game, short passing game and minimal downfield passing..etc. -- all of which were not present against Duke and some of these wrinkles weren't present against USF. So how do you know? How does anyone know?

Not a huge fan of this, personally, as I think the team needs to perfect all these elements together well-in-advance in order to play a complete game against teams like Clemson and OSU.

Old 09-21-2020, 08:47 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

I was waiting for this thread to pop up...one thing not mentioned was Duke turned it over a whopping 5 times including 2 in the Red Zone. Jurkovec is a good player but all reports out of ND was he couldn't take the tough coaching from Long and Kelly didn't bail him out. You want to be the MAN at ND, gotta have a thicker skin than what he showed while at ND.
He played a nice game but Duke more handed the game to BC with its' erratic, turn over plagued play.
Old 09-21-2020, 08:54 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtLeastMySisWasIrish View Post
I was waiting for this thread to pop up...one thing not mentioned was Duke turned it over a whopping 5 times including 2 in the Red Zone. Jurkovec is a good player but all reports out of ND was he couldn't take the tough coaching from Long and Kelly didn't bail him out. You want to be the MAN at ND, gotta have a thicker skin than what he showed while at ND.
He played a nice game but Duke more handed the game to BC with its' erratic, turn over plagued play.
Duke's turnovers didn't have anything to do with Jurkovek's 300 yards passing. If Long's tough coaching was so great - why did they get rid of him?
Old 09-21-2020, 10:13 PM

Thereís mentally ill Notre Dame ďfansĒ, who want Jurkovec and BC to beat ND just to make Kelly look bad. I donít get it, but I canít pretend to understand the mentally defective.
Old 09-21-2020, 10:19 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELDER06 View Post
There’s mentally ill Notre Dame “fans”, who want Jurkovec and BC to beat ND just to make Kelly look bad. I don’t get it, but I can’t pretend to understand the mentally defective.
Literally no one here wants that. I want Notre Dame and by default Kelly to win every game. I’d also like Kelly to not only recruit, but then play talented, highly sought after players like Phil Jurkovec rather than sticking with something just because it’s a known entity.

Phil may not be better than Book. He may not be any good at all. But Kelly has consistently struggled to get the best players on the field, for a number of reasons and that makes it harder to win every game like I’d like.

Last edited by Dardo; 09-21-2020 at 10:23 PM.
Old 09-21-2020, 10:21 PM

All Kelly would say to all this is

22-3

The Quotes against this post.. will say... 3 losses is Mediocre and too many..

I'll say I like this a whole lot better then 6-6 which actually squares with the silent majority. But I of course welcome the list of QB's with better records then 22-3, which is coming..........

Keep That Fighting Spirit

"Let me see you disrespect me now, when my face is to ya" Lou Holtz

Resident video nerd and DomerDomain MVP since 2011

Last edited by FaithInIrishForever; 09-21-2020 at 10:26 PM.
Old 09-21-2020, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dardo View Post
Literally no one here wants that. I want Notre Dame and by default Kelly to win every game. Iíd also like Kelly to not only recruit, but then play talented, highly sought after players like Phil Jurkovec rather than sticking with something just because itís a known entity.

Phil may not be better than Book. He may not be any good at all. But Kelly has consistently struggled to get the best players on the field, for a number of reasons and that makes it harder to win every game like Iíd like.
There are ppl who want that on other sites.
Old 09-21-2020, 10:29 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaithInIrishForever View Post

22-3

I'll say I like this a whole lot better then 6-6 which actually squares with the silent majority. But I of course welcome the list of QB's with better records then 22-3 is coming..........
Nah...
I think what will come next is that Book can't win the big game, can't throw the ball down field.

While I agree he may not have the strongest arm, or the most accurate deep ball, it has always been my position that it takes an effective team performance and a great coaching scheme to win games.
Saying Book can't be a downfield threat diminishes, in my opinion, the roles of offensive line protection, wide receiver separation, effective plays, effective play calling, and defense getting stops.
But I'm just a single voice in the night.
Old 09-22-2020, 01:52 AM

Quote:
There are ppl who want that on other sites.
Gotta be ACross. Is that dbag still around on NDNation? Btw, I wish Google would stop suggesting UHND articles for me to read...like, dude, spell check and grammar check....EVERY word processor in the world has it now. Anyway, I agree, there are folks like that...a lot.
Old 09-22-2020, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaithInIrishForever View Post

22-3

I'll say I like this a whole lot better then 6-6 which actually squares with the silent majority. But I of course welcome the list of QB's with better records then 22-3, which is coming..........
Book had the privilege of a Clark Lea defense. Give Kizer and Golson that defense and who knows what their record is.

Book gets credit for avoiding the big mistakes and beating all the teams he should. However, a recurring theme is he shrinks in the big game and is not good enough to elevate the team. If we donít beat or canít compete with Clemson, I think itís time to move on next year because I think we can go 10-2 with Clarke.
Old 09-22-2020, 11:21 AM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

i am not Books biggest fan as most know...but if Phil was the truly superior player he would be starting for us IMO. Apples and oranges with the duke game. Likely after 8 games we can make some kind of meaningful comparison.

aloha
Old 09-22-2020, 01:30 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiirish View Post
i am not Books biggest fan as most know...but if Phil was the truly superior player he would be starting for us IMO. Apples and oranges with the duke game. Likely after 8 games we can make some kind of meaningful comparison.

aloha
Players develop along different timelines. Some keep getting better each year in college. Others peak earlier and never really improve.

Kyren Williams was third or fourth best RB last year. He is starting this year and Jafar Armstrong who started a year ago is now 3rd or 4th on the depth chart behind younger players.

I am sure that there are other players who fit this mold. Not a starter early in career and then bumps older player who previously played ahead of him.
Old 09-22-2020, 02:23 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

I never bet on the team ND has beaten the week before. After getting emotional all charged up and physically all beaten up. There seems to be a big let down for their next game.
Old 09-22-2020, 03:50 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiirish View Post

aloha
This implies coaches don't make mistakes, which I think we all know isn't true. It's possible Phil would be superior if given the opportunities Book has been given. It's also possible Book is just better. But let's not forget Joe Montana wasn't the starter to start the season in 1977..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndomer4 View Post
Book had the privilege of a Clark Lea defense. Give Kizer and Golson that defense and who knows what their record is.

Book gets credit for avoiding the big mistakes and beating all the teams he should. However, a recurring theme is he shrinks in the big game and is not good enough to elevate the team. If we don’t beat or can’t compete with Clemson, I think it’s time to move on next year because I think we can go 10-2 with Clarke.
I think most QBs that ND has had could go 9-3/10-2 at the minimum with the current schedules as long as they have these Clark Lea defenses. I mean, Wimbush was something like 13-3 as a starter, and this board likes to act like he was the worst QB in football history.

Last edited by Dardo; 09-22-2020 at 03:54 PM.
Old 09-22-2020, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dardo View Post
This implies coaches don't make mistakes, which I think we all know isn't true. It's possible Phil would be superior if given the opportunities Book has been given. It's also possible Book is just better. But let's not forget Joe Montana wasn't the starter to start the season in 1977..

I think most QBs that ND has had could go 9-3/10-2 at the minimum with the current schedules as long as they have these Clark Lea defenses. I mean, Wimbush was something like 13-3 as a starter, and this board likes to act like he was the worst QB in football history.
And Book wasnít the starter in 2018. Not sure why ppl think Kelly has some emotional attachment, when heís proven heíll change QBs if he thinks itíll work.
Old 09-22-2020, 06:57 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
And Book wasnít the starter in 2018. Not sure why ppl think Kelly has some emotional attachment, when heís proven heíll change QBs if he thinks itíll work.
I donít think I even implied it was an emotional attachment. Stop beating down those strawmen.
Old 09-22-2020, 09:55 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

I just want Book to be the short accurate passer with knowledge of the offense that we believe he should be. Why else is he in there? Until last game, I didnít see that. He should be throwing darts all over the place by now.
Itís frustrating because I watch Clemson, tOSU, Bama, LSU, and Oklahoma all put up video game numbers weekly. And yet, we looked confused every year under BK. It shouldnít take 10 years to find a competent qb to be able to complete 66 percent of his passes and throw for 3,000 yards by now. We want to compete with those guys we need the best out of our qb.
Hopefully last week wasnít an aberration.
Old 09-22-2020, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltssb View Post
I just want Book to be the short accurate passer with knowledge of the offense that we believe he should be. Why else is he in there? Until last game, I didnít see that. He should be throwing darts all over the place by now.
Itís frustrating because I watch Clemson, tOSU, Bama, LSU, and Oklahoma all put up video game numbers weekly. And yet, we looked confused every year under BK. It shouldnít take 10 years to find a competent qb to be able to complete 66 percent of his passes and throw for 3,000 yards by now. We want to compete with those guys we need the best out of our qb.
Hopefully last week wasnít an aberration.
I want to see the Book we showcased in the Wake and Stanford games of 2018. Get back to the quick, rhythm passing and qb runs.
Old 09-23-2020, 02:33 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavic View Post
Duke's turnovers didn't have anything to do with Jurkovek's 300 yards passing. If Long's tough coaching was so great - why did they get rid of him?
They didn't get rid of him, he quit and transferred out. Long was let go after he transferred. Reminds me a bit of the Gunner Kiel situation...highly recruited, catered to by those around him and then realized he actually had to outplay the guy in front of him.
I actually hope the kid has a good career, minus when he plays ND but it's entirely up to you if you want to fall into the trap of making comparisons after one game vs a mutual opponent. And yes, when your defense is on the field for the majority of the game, the opposing offense tends to open things up a bit. If you watched the game, the 1st half wasn't impressive by either side minus one deep completion by Jurkovec but it opened up in the 2nd half.
Old 09-23-2020, 03:18 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtLeastMySisWasIrish View Post
They didn't get rid of him, he quit and transferred out. Long was let go after he transferred. Reminds me a bit of the Gunner Kiel situation...highly recruited, catered to by those around him and then realized he actually had to outplay the guy in front of him.
I actually hope the kid has a good career, minus when he plays ND but it's entirely up to you if you want to fall into the trap of making comparisons after one game vs a mutual opponent. And yes, when your defense is on the field for the majority of the game, the opposing offense tends to open things up a bit. If you watched the game, the 1st half wasn't impressive by either side minus one deep completion by Jurkovec but it opened up in the 2nd half.
You seem to be complimenting Long's tough coaching in your previous post. It was Long not Jurkovek that I was referring to when I said why did they get rid of him? Not buying the defense on the field too long helped Jurkovek's passing yardage but we can agree to dis agree. I, like you want to see ND win a national title but I just don't see Book being good enough to get it done but hope I am wrong. Go Irish!