Notre Dame Football News And Talk  

Come check out the news feed! DD Front Page

Go Back   Notre Dame Football News And Talk > Message Board > General Discussion

Old 03-11-2020, 04:50 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Default ND classes cancelled until April 13

Also posted on open forum.

All ND classes cancelled week of March 15.

Starting March 23 all classes going online -
Until at least April 13.

Students encouraged to go home.
Can only stay in dorms if get permission.

More details when available.

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 03-11-2020, 05:58 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Looks like the team will be on campus and practicing, per Sampson.

Old 03-11-2020, 06:49 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Such a joke. Everyone is just racing to get in line for absolution from being called a catalyst in the matter.
"If a believer demands that I, as a nonbeliever, observe his taboos in the public domain, he is not asking for my respect, but for my submission. And that is incompatible with a secular democracy." - Flemming Rose
Old 03-11-2020, 08:04 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo88 View Post
Such a joke. Everyone is just racing to get in line for absolution from being called a catalyst in the matter.
Yep. Lot of hype and misinformation going into this outbreak. Overreactions everywhere. My wife said there were girls she overheard at the HS she works at talking about a teacher leaving school early, ill, and was going to get tested for Wuhan...oopsie can't say that because it's racist...

Don't seem to remember this level of reactions going into other cases in recent years with contagions that were for more widespread and reportedly more lethal. Oh well agendas...
Old 03-11-2020, 08:23 PM
Domer Domain Junior

I think writings on the wall that many places are going to shutter for a few weeks. Just saw on local news feed U of Iowa is cancelling face to face classes following spring break for a couple weeks.
Old 03-11-2020, 08:54 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemoore97 View Post
Yep. Lot of hype and misinformation going into this outbreak. Overreactions everywhere. My wife said there were girls she overheard at the HS she works at talking about a teacher leaving school early, ill, and was going to get tested for Wuhan...oopsie can't say that because it's racist...

Don't seem to remember this level of reactions going into other cases in recent years with contagions that were for more widespread and reportedly more lethal. Oh well agendas...
When is the last time there was an official pandemic?

I was of the mind that this was way overblown as well, but with death rates of 4-5% in some countries and no sign of the spread slowing worldwide, this may become a pretty big deal.

Will cancelling everything do anything to help? It can't hurt. But if this hasn't slowed dramatically in the next few weeks, we'll be looking at 1,000,000+ infected worldwide and then who knows.

Once deaths start getting into the 10's of thousands, I think we can all agree it's a serious matter.
Old 03-11-2020, 09:15 PM
Domer Domain All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by corysold View Post

I was of the mind that this was way overblown as well, but with death rates of 4-5% in some countries and no sign of the spread slowing worldwide, this may become a pretty big deal.

Will cancelling everything do anything to help? It can't hurt. But if this hasn't slowed dramatically in the next few weeks, we'll be looking at 1,000,000+ infected worldwide and then who knows.

Once deaths start getting into the 10's of thousands, I think we can all agree it's a serious matter.
Flu deaths are in the tens of thousands every year, yet we don't hear this sort of hype... 12,000-61,000 depending on the year.
Old 03-11-2020, 09:20 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishwavend View Post
Flu deaths are in the tens of thousands every year, yet we don't hear this sort of hype... 12,000-61,000 depending on the year.
Sure, but if the same amount of peoplee get this as the flu, deaths will be in the 4-5,000,000 range, maybe more if the health system is overrun and they run out of ventilators like they have in Italy.. Not quite the same.
Old 03-11-2020, 09:38 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:

This is completely false and the type of misinformation that keeps getting pushed by the media and social media outlets.

The virus has been slowing dramatically in China for weeks now. Do you know how many people live in Shanghai and Hong Kong alone? Nearly 40 million. Do you know how many people have died in those two cities from this? 6! The virus has slowed way down in South Korea as well. Once the weather continues to warm it will slow dramatically as well.
Old 03-11-2020, 09:42 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Gloves View Post
This is completely false and the type of misinformation that keeps getting pushed by the media and social media outlets.

The virus has been slowing dramatically in China for weeks now. Do you know how many people live in Shanghai and Hong Kong alone? Nearly 40 million. Do you know how many people have died in those two cities from this? 6! The virus has slowed way down in South Korea as well. Once the weather continues to warm it will slow dramatically as well.
And why did it slow down? Because they locked down the areas it was in. That isnít misinformation.

It doesnít have to continue to spread. But you canít just ignore it and pretend itís going to go away in its own.
Old 03-11-2020, 10:43 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Sure, but if the same amount of peoplee get this as the flu, deaths will be in the 4-5,000,000 range, maybe more if the health system is overrun and they run out of ventilators like they have in Italy.. Not quite the same.
Per the WHO the mortality rate of Coronavirus is around 3.4% and the seasonal Flu is .1% Obviously the world isn't ending but if we don't nip this in the bud now we could face some serious problems down the road in the short term. I mean right now I can't get friggin toilet paper at Wal-Mart, and that blows my mind because its not even a life necessity!
Old 03-11-2020, 11:35 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:

Swine flu, H1N1, and maybe another have all happened recently. I don't remember near the level of panic in those events, nor do I remember shutting places down due to the fear of it spreading. Those instances had high infection rates and mortalities as well.

Looking at the death rates some context needs to be considered. One of which the MSM seems to fail to mention is the segments of the population most succeptable to it, the infirm and elderly portions of society. I believe the average age of death for victims is hovering around in the 60's. Other factors to be considered that aren't being mentioned, poor health habits like smoking are a big factor according to reports. Another is location and air quality, large industrial cities are generally going to have poorer air quality which can factor into respitory health and likelihood of contracting illness.

In the end I'm not exited about this event other than how it originated, and that's a whole other rabbit hole that may or may not be fully explored some day. I.E. China is already making claims the virus didn't originate there. Bills with billions of dollars getting passed to "help" with pork spending riders attached to it and questions about where the money is actually going. I'm very skeptical about a lot of this...
Old 03-11-2020, 11:37 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunSlinger View Post
Per the WHO the mortality rate of Coronavirus is around 3.4% and the seasonal Flu is .1% Obviously the world isn't ending but if we don't nip this in the bud now we could face some serious problems down the road in the short term. I mean right now I can't get friggin toilet paper at Wal-Mart, and that blows my mind because its not even a life necessity!
Hmmm that's funny my wife and I just bought a pallet full of TP and had no trouble. 🤣
Old 03-11-2020, 11:52 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Quote:
On the surface, those figures appear worse. But the WHO site provides further details about why those comparisons are not really viable:

"Mortality for COVID-19 appears higher than for influenza, especially seasonal influenza. While the true mortality of COVID-19 will take some time to fully understand, the data we have so far indicate that the crude mortality ratio (the number of reported deaths divided by the reported cases) is between 3-4%, the infection mortality rate (the number
of reported deaths divided by the number of infections) will be lower.

For seasonal influenza, mortality is usually well below 0.1%. However, mortality is to a large extent determined by access to and quality of health care."

In other words, COVID is killing more elderly/immuno-compromised individuals because the present flu vaccine doesn't work against COVID-19 and it is largely dependent upon access to half decent health care. So unless you're old/sick in the U.S., this "pandemic" means nothing except for the possibility of being in bed for a week or so to recover.

But yes, hoard the toilet paper and buy gallon size pumps of Purell on ebay for $50 if it makes you feel better. This is the media's fault.

Remember the imminent threat of WW3 that they pushed relentlessly? That was literally a month and a half ago.
"If a believer demands that I, as a nonbeliever, observe his taboos in the public domain, he is not asking for my respect, but for my submission. And that is incompatible with a secular democracy." - Flemming Rose

Last edited by echo88; 03-11-2020 at 11:57 PM.
Old 03-11-2020, 11:58 PM
Domer Domain All American

This is only killing the elderly, just like almost every virus does. The mortality rate for anyone below the age of 50 is 0.2%. (http://weekly.chinacdc.cn/en/article...b-fea8db1a8f51)

This is clearly an overreaction. The media is solely to blame for this bullshit.
Old 03-12-2020, 01:30 AM
Domer Domain Veteran

Man, a lot of you people had SH*T grandparents with all this hate for the elderly.
Old 03-12-2020, 01:40 AM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Tom Hanks has Coronavirus...
Old 03-12-2020, 02:33 AM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pregame View Post
Man, a lot of you people had SH*T grandparents with all this hate for the elderly.
No ****. Americans do hate the elderly. I canít wait in 40 years when Iím that old and nobody gives a **** about my Medicaid, health, and prescription drug costs. Which Iím sure will be about $500 a pill. Oh well.. Eat **** old people...and yes that was sarcasm...
Old 03-12-2020, 02:40 AM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Ohio State and Michigan cancel their spring games...
Old 03-12-2020, 03:04 AM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
The death rate is almost certainly much lower than 3-4% per the NIH today.
There are far more people who get the virus than are tested. They test the sickest patients due to the shortage of test kits. The NIH and CDC both believe the mortality rate is closer to 1%.
Is 1% a big number? Yes it is. Itís a lot of people if millions are exposed.

The CDC estimates that 30 million Americans had the flu this year, about 350,000 were hospitalized, and about 30,000 have died.

I think the real Ďcrimeí is that there has been a delayed response in how workers at nursing homes and elderly care centers interact with those patients. The workers should have been wearing masks and gloves at work from the moment the first case hit our shores, imho.
Old 03-12-2020, 08:43 AM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
And why did it slow down? Because they locked down the areas it was in. That isnít misinformation.

It doesnít have to continue to spread. But you canít just ignore it and pretend itís going to go away in its own.
Ignoring the situation and hoping it goes away is pretty much what the west tried. Now look at Italy.
Old 03-12-2020, 12:41 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

The death rate is no different then when the annual flu first appeared. It’s a new virus that our bodies have not yet fought off so the elderly are very vulnerable.
http://www.mypediatriccenter.com/bri...fluenza-virus/

Don’t get me wrong I think it is good that we are taking precautions.

Last edited by ND_JACK; 03-12-2020 at 02:32 PM.
Old 03-12-2020, 12:45 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Sure do have a lot of pandemic biologists on this forum, along with constitutional lawyers and seemingly experts in every walk of live.... more amazing is they are all the same posters!!!!

Old 03-12-2020, 12:54 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synoptico View Post
Sure do have a lot of pandemic biologists on this forum, along with constitutional lawyers and seemingly experts in every walk of live.... more amazing is they are all the same posters!!!!
You forgot to mention they are also expert football coaches as well...
Old 03-12-2020, 02:48 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND_JACK View Post
The death rate is no different then when the annual flu first appeared. Itís a new virus that our bodies have not yet fought off so the elderly are very vulnerable.
http://www.mypediatriccenter.com/bri...fluenza-virus/

Donít get me wrong I think it is good that we are taking precautions.
Taking precautions is always good when there is an outbreak. Controlling crowds for the time being and cancelling travel to Europe after doing so to China weeks ago is also prudent. Let's see where we are at with this come April 1.
And wash your damn hands, will ya!