Notre Dame Football News And Talk  

Come check out the news feed! DD Front Page

Go Back   Notre Dame Football News And Talk > Message Board > Recruiting Board

Old 12-10-2019, 03:38 PM
Domer Domain All American

Default Early Signing Period 2020

Well, this should be the third year running of a "boring" early signing day for ND. All recruits are expected to sign early and I would include Ramon Henderson in that group. The signing period is Dec. 18-20.

After the signing period I'll give my thoughts on the class. Maybe a few others will too.

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 12-11-2019, 04:12 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

"Boring" is good. I'll take it every early signing period.
That means they are all in and no one is looking in their rear view mirror at another school.
Old 12-11-2019, 04:29 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Irish View Post
"Boring" is good. I'll take it every early signing period.
That means they are all in and no one is looking in their rear view mirror at another school.
Exactly. I was tired of hearing about all the possible de-commitments in years past. Frankly, it seems like the early signing period has helped put an end to that sort of shenanigans.
Old 12-11-2019, 04:59 PM
Administrator
Domer Domain Legend

The reason kids decommit is obviously multifactoral, but I felt most of those occurred during the time they were at these post season invitationals like the all American bowl.. They got the opportunity to hang out with kids from other programs who got in their ears.. Pretty easy to change your mind when you are having the time of your life and everyone is telling you how great you are.....

Too much virtue is gonna hurt you!!

Clarity
The moment when you realize the preseason polls were wrong. Again.

ASBC!!!!!!
Old 12-11-2019, 07:17 PM

Early signing day may have just gotten more interesting with Chip Long leaving. ND will need to get out there quickly to keep the calm if they haven't already done so.
Old 12-11-2019, 07:46 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big23Head View Post
Early signing day may have just gotten more interesting with Chip Long leaving. ND will need to get out there quickly to keep the calm if they haven't already done so.
If rumors are true that Rees may be the next OC, I think there’s a chance this is a non-factor. Kids seem to love him.
Old 12-11-2019, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifth Horseman View Post
If rumors are true that Rees may be the next OC, I think there’s a chance this is a non-factor. Kids seem to love him.
I agree and there is some strong "hinting" that Rees knew this last week and ND knew Long was gone before that even. FWIW, the staff is meeting with Mayer and Tyree later this week. I think this can be squared away quickly.
Old 12-11-2019, 08:48 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Quote:
Is Chip that good of a recruiter? Do a lot of kids leave when the OC leaves from a school?
Old 12-11-2019, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corysold View Post
Is Chip that good of a recruiter? Do a lot of kids leave when the OC leaves from a school?
He was solidly involved with the offensive recruits. Particularly Tyree, Mayer, and Watts. Cane Berrong is also a Chip guy so we will see.

Kids only leave when the new OC changes the style of offense but that won't happen here. It is all about getting to these kids and answering the questions before the negative recruiting hits full stride. I'm sure the negative recruiting has already started.
Old 12-11-2019, 10:10 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

While it's definitely not good news as far as recruiting goes, I don't think it's terrible news as it relates to the 2020 class, particularly Tyree, Mayer, Watts, and Johnson.

All of these kids seem like good kids who chose ND for the school, not for Chip Long. I think Long was a great recruiter - and he will certainly be missed - but Lance Taylor is a great/phenomenal recruiter, which is particularly important for Tyree. I believe all of these recruits shut everything down after committing and weren't even talking to schools - that'd be a lot to make up for if another school tries to get involved. Finally, coordinators come and go all the time, especially at the most successful schools. It's not a positive that someone's recruiter leaves - it certainly matters to some recruits a lot - but I think it's not necessarily a huge negative either.

Keep Lance and Rees on staff, and I think the 2020 class is fine.
Old 12-11-2019, 10:12 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
He was solidly involved with the offensive recruits. Particularly Tyree, Mayer, and Watts. Cane Berrong is also a Chip guy so we will see.

Kids only leave when the new OC changes the style of offense but that won't happen here. It is all about getting to these kids and answering the questions before the negative recruiting hits full stride. I'm sure the negative recruiting has already started.
I would be very surprised if we lost anyone. He was an offensive coordinator, not the head coach. And this is happening everywhere. Coaches are bouncing around all over the place. My guess is nothing to see here
Old 12-12-2019, 02:51 PM

Unhappy

The biggest worry seemed to be Watts and he confirmed last night he would be signing with Notre Dame. Should get everything squared away tonight with Tyree and Mayer and the worry is over

Last edited by LasVegasIrish; 12-12-2019 at 09:15 PM.
Old 12-12-2019, 04:02 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by golson5 View Post
I would be very surprised if we lost anyone. He was an offensive coordinator, not the head coach. And this is happening everywhere. Coaches are bouncing around all over the place. My guess is nothing to see here
Other schools seem to wait until after signing day to announce coaching changes though so hopefully there will be no impact.
Old 12-12-2019, 04:08 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown_9999 View Post
Other schools seem to wait until after signing day to announce coaching changes though so hopefully there will be no impact.
I was thinking about that yesterday and initially thought that they should have waited to announce this. I guess ND wanted to get in front of this by announcing it early so recruits don't sign next Wednesday and then find out that CL was never coming back. Gives them a chance to step back and reassess, if needed, but my guess is that ND felt confident that they would hold on to everyone in the 2020 class - they are doing a bunch of in-homes all week, including Johnson yesterday and Mayer/Tyree today. I guess it's the "right way" to do it, although it still made me nervous, especially since 5 of the top 7 most important recruits play offense (Tyree, Johnson, Watts, Mayer, Baker).
Old 12-12-2019, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tneun89 View Post
I was thinking about that yesterday and initially thought that they should have waited to announce this. I guess ND wanted to get in front of this by announcing it early so recruits don't sign next Wednesday and then find out that CL was never coming back. Gives them a chance to step back and reassess, if needed, but my guess is that ND felt confident that they would hold on to everyone in the 2020 class - they are doing a bunch of in-homes all week, including Johnson yesterday and Mayer/Tyree today. I guess it's the "right way" to do it, although it still made me nervous, especially since 5 of the top 7 most important recruits play offense (Tyree, Johnson, Watts, Mayer, Baker).
Agree, kids should not pick schools based on coordinators as they are leaving all the time
Old 12-13-2019, 05:30 AM
Domer Domain Sophomore

After visits with Tyree and Mayer today, it sounds like the whole class is 100% committed and locked up. They’ll likely add Ramon Henderson for an 18-man class, barring a huge surprise.
Old 12-13-2019, 06:24 AM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tneun89 View Post
After visits with Tyree and Mayer today, it sounds like the whole class is 100% committed and locked up. They’ll likely add Ramon Henderson for an 18-man class, barring a huge surprise.
Never a doubt
Old 12-13-2019, 07:07 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Any of the 11 Stanford kids entering the portal we would consider going after. I know they had a down year, but that's a lot of kids going after one season. Wonder if Shaw is considering a move?
Old 12-16-2019, 02:26 PM

Old 12-16-2019, 07:48 PM

Last edited by Big23Head; 12-16-2019 at 07:53 PM.
Old 12-16-2019, 08:11 PM

Old 12-16-2019, 08:37 PM

Quote:

Ehrensberger to me is probably the most interesting prospect ND will sign this week. he's got all the physical tools you look for in a DE with room to fill out it's just a matter of how well he develops and his transition to big time college football.
Old 12-16-2019, 09:01 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangeruss View Post
Ehrensberger to me is probably the most interesting prospect ND will sign this week. he's got all the physical tools you look for in a DE with room to fill out it's just a matter of how well he develops and his transition to big time college football.
Agree....I will assume they have seen him play / in person but my issue is he is pretty skinny and he will be 20 years old in March and so wondering when / if the filling out will happen.
Old 12-16-2019, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Redrum View Post
Agree....I will assume they have seen him play / in person but my issue is he is pretty skinny and he will be 20 years old in March and so wondering when / if the filling out will happen.
I believe he weighs ~240 and ND wanted him to come in at that weight. Balis will take it from there. I agree this will be a very interesting one to watch.

I know his former teammate, Joseph Darkwa, that is at Penn State did not play as a freshman. He apparently is a physical specimen but quite behind in fundamentals and the level of play.
Old 12-17-2019, 02:37 PM

I would love to take a developmental, long/athletic defensive end prospect every year or two like Ogundeji in 2016 and Ehrensberger this year. I don’t care if it takes him 3 years to make an impact as long as they bring in the guys like Botelho, Mills, Foskey, etc. that help supplement the wait. Sometimes these guys are worth the wait like Ogundeji is showing.