Notre Dame Football News And Talk  

Come check out the news feed! DD Front Page

Go Back   Notre Dame Football News And Talk > Message Board > General Discussion

Old 10-06-2018, 05:47 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Default Hopefully, Kelly does not elect to receive if ND wins the toss

I think that it is stupid to put your offense on the field at the beginning of big games (home or away) since I think that too much adrenaline is not always good for QBs. I remember that it seemed that Brady Quinn consistently overthrew his receivers in the first series of big games.

Crowd noise is also a bigger factor for offense than defense so another reason to defer to receive in the second half since I am guessing that the crowd will be jacked the most at the game's beginning.

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 10-06-2018, 06:05 PM
Domer Domain Freshman

Totally agree here!

Put you defense out there, let them take swings and snuffing out the team's first drive and let the fans burn off some of that initial adrenaline.

If a defense can get a 3 and out it is better than road offense going 3 and out and crowd going nuts and then opposing team offense comes out.

I am also a HUGE fan of getting back to start second quarter and playing into the score before half score after half. It is essentially a turnover a game if you can get it.
Old 10-06-2018, 06:26 PM
Domer Domain Freshman

He always does though unfortunately.
Old 10-06-2018, 07:09 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Agree. You know your defense is good. Just kick off, stop them and end up with good field position. Rather than get stopped on 3 and out, punt and play behind on field position with their hostile crowd all first half.
Old 10-06-2018, 08:12 PM
Domer Domain All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown_9999 View Post
I think that it is stupid to put your offense on the field at the beginning of big games (home or away) since I think that too much adrenaline is not always good for QBs. I remember that it seemed that Brady Quinn consistently overthrew his receivers in the first series of big games.

Crowd noise is also a bigger factor for offense than defense so another reason to defer to receive in the second half since I am guessing that the crowd will be jacked the most at the game's beginning.
His Logic is the team that scores first has a higher winning percentage. I like to defer for the chance to close out the half with the ball and start the 2nd half with the ball but scoring first correlates to winning according to Kelly.

Keep That Fighting Spirit

"Let me see you disrespect me now, when my face is to ya" Lou Holtz

Resident video nerd and DomerDomain MVP since 2011
Old 10-06-2018, 08:25 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Coach d did a breakdown of this. We are actually much better under kelly when we receive the kickoff. Overall and against ranked teams. He proved that you have to defend first is bull
Old 10-06-2018, 10:03 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Actually Kelly has some crazy record when he scores first. Read about it the other day. I want the ball and score first.
Old 10-06-2018, 10:59 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by golson5 View Post
Coach d did a breakdown of this. We are actually much better under kelly when we receive the kickoff. Overall and against ranked teams. He proved that you have to defend first is bull
I'm usually a proponent of playing percentages. However, in this case, with the VT fans still jumping and screaming into the first series, I would rather their QB be the one all jacked up and overthrow his first few passes as a result.
Old 10-07-2018, 06:24 AM
Domer Domain Freshman

Fortunately, it worked out today on the opening drive and the final result.
Old 10-08-2018, 05:24 AM
Administrator
Domer Domain Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverirish34 View Post
Actually Kelly has some crazy record when he scores first. Read about it the other day. I want the ball and score first.
Yep! Many of you guys want the foot on the throttle all the time. Well, when you defer, you are letting their offense dictate the game. WE go on offense first and dictate the game. We strike first! With a good defense, I don't mind them starting off the second half.

"
If we were in the wild, I would attack u. Even if u weren’t in my food chain, I would go out of my way to attack u!" ~Manti Teo

Old 10-08-2018, 12:44 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_nd88 View Post
Fortunately, it worked out today on the opening drive and the final result.
Props to Book for keeping any adrenaline in check and hitting receivers on the first drive.
Old 10-09-2018, 11:54 AM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Thoughts on varying decision to kick or receive depending upon opponent, venue, etc.?

I like the idea of showing faith in defense - stop opponent momentum right away.

And getting the ball to start 2nd half - hopefully to quickly exploit some adjustments.

But away at night in a hostile environment, take the ball first, score and quiet the crowd some.
Old 10-09-2018, 01:15 PM

im always a fan of deferring to the start of the 3rd quarter. go into halftime with the lead and get the ball to start the 2nd half and try to set the tone for the rest of the game.

the question then is what do you do when you play navy, receive or kick.
Old 10-09-2018, 03:12 PM
Domer Domain Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangeruss View Post
im always a fan of deferring to the start of the 3rd quarter. go into halftime with the lead and get the ball to start the 2nd half and try to set the tone for the rest of the game.

the question then is what do you do when you play navy, receive or kick.
Good question. I'd say take the ball because who knows how many possessions you get against a ball control offense like that.
Old 10-09-2018, 03:13 PM
Domer Domain Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown_9999 View Post
Props to Book for keeping any adrenaline in check and hitting receivers on the first drive.
We really did get bailed out by that facemask penalty on a 3rd down sack tho.
Old 10-09-2018, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The eND View Post
yeah that was a lucky break, not to mention all the other penalties that went NDs way. specially on the trick play in the 1st half that went for a TD.
Old 10-09-2018, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The eND View Post
Quote:
yeah that was a lucky break, not to mention all the other penalties that went NDs way. specially on the trick play in the 1st half that went for a TD.
I didn't watch the first half...are you implying that they shouldn't have been penalties?
Old 10-09-2018, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco View Post
I didn't watch the first half...are you implying that they shouldn't have been penalties?
they should have been called and they were. in the 1st half VT had a lot of penalties that kept them from moving the ball, they had a lot of false starts by the OL.
Old 10-10-2018, 07:03 PM

Quote:
they should have been called and they were. in the 1st half VT had a lot of penalties that kept them from moving the ball, they had a lot of false starts by the OL.
ahh ok

thanks for that!
Old 10-10-2018, 07:45 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
I mean they were all penalties. The face mask was obvious, the false starts were all obvious, and the ineligible man was WAY downfield by the time the ball was thrown. They were all penalties, so I don't really like us acting like ND got lucky because the refs actually enforced the rules.
Old 10-10-2018, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dardo View Post
I mean they were all penalties. The face mask was obvious, the false starts were all obvious, and the ineligible man was WAY downfield by the time the ball was thrown. They were all penalties, so I don't really like us acting like ND got lucky because the refs actually enforced the rules.
the man down field took a TD off the board for VT. the wr was wide open because ND had a busted coverage, if it weren't for the penalty it may have been a different game. on that play ND got lucky that VTs OL wandered to far from the LOS.

Last edited by SpeedsterX; 10-11-2018 at 04:33 AM.
Old 10-11-2018, 12:13 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dardo View Post
It was indeed a penalty but I thought he was only five yards downfield when the ball was thrown so only two more yards than the three yards allowed.

It was him being all alone that made it look so bad and was probably why he got the ref's attention and flag.
Old 10-11-2018, 12:47 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Quote:
the man down field took a TD off the board for VT. the wr was wide open because ND had a busted coverage, if it weren't for the penalty it may have been a different game. on that play ND got lucky that VTs OL wandered to far from the LOS.
True, but at the same time, those lapses indicate discipline issues. Those issues crop up in poor technique in other areas of the game as well. Teams with poor discipline make more mistakes in all areas and consequently, lose more games.
Old 10-11-2018, 12:48 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

You score first, you get the momentum early and set the tempo. Ask Oregon all those years and their opponents being down 8 at the beginning of the game. Now if we could get some 2 point conversions to start the game even better.