Notre Dame Football News And Talk  

Come check out the news feed! DD Front Page

Go Back   Notre Dame Football News And Talk > Message Board > General Discussion

Old 10-04-2018, 01:06 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Default Anyone remember 1977?

I read an article detailing the similarities so far for this year compared to 1977. Specifically, the changing of Rusty Lisch (apparently similar to Wimbush) to Joe Montana and the difference that made.

Does anyone (Frankus?) recall 1977 and if this rings true?

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 10-04-2018, 01:48 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Iím only 45, so obviously recalling that season is an impossibility. Re-researching that season sounds like a fun project tho! Do you have the link to that article?
Old 10-04-2018, 02:00 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by imroc View Post
Iím only 45, so obviously recalling that season is an impossibility. Re-researching that season sounds like a fun project tho! Do you have the link to that article?
That would've helped, huh?

https://www.onefootdown.com/2018/10/...n-book-montana
Old 10-04-2018, 02:50 PM
Domer Domain Junior

I wasn't even a ND fan at the time and I remember it. It was sort of a Wally Pipp/Lou Gehrig moment.

Not long after there was The Chicken Soup Game after the '78 season. Montana wasn't "the" most physically skilled QB but he had "It".
Old 10-04-2018, 02:58 PM
Domer Domain All American

I wasnít alive for 77 but Iíve seen a ton of Montana on NFL network and Book looks eerily similar to him.
Old 10-04-2018, 03:43 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by corysold View Post
Thanks, hombre!
Old 10-04-2018, 04:55 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

The 1977 defense was spectacular. The 2018 defense is pretty good, but the '77 defense was stacked with great players. I think that defense was a huge reason ND won the championship that year.
The switch to Montana was big, no doubt. It sparked the offense. Book is probably a better runner than Montana was by quite a bit. But, as we know, Montana was a guy who just made things happen. Book seems to be like that to me. I'm not saying Book will ever have a career like Montana had, but he does seem to have a high football IQ and enough ability to win.
Old 10-04-2018, 05:45 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Gruene View Post
The 1977 defense was spectacular. The 2018 defense is pretty good, but the '77 defense was stacked with great players. I think that defense was a huge reason ND won the championship that year.
The switch to Montana was big, no doubt. It sparked the offense. Book is probably a better runner than Montana was by quite a bit. But, as we know, Montana was a guy who just made things happen. Book seems to be like that to me. I'm not saying Book will ever have a career like Montana had, but he does seem to have a high football IQ and enough ability to win.
I'd take the less memorable portion of his career, just helping to win a NC. Remember that commercial a few years back with Joe and I think Fr. Ted walking outside and talking about what a great football career Joe had, then deadpanning he asked Joe what he ended up doing after he graduated from ND. Classic.
Old 10-04-2018, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Quote:
I read an article detailing the similarities so far for this year compared to 1977. Specifically, the changing of Rusty Lisch (apparently similar to Wimbush) to Joe Montana and the difference that made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndomer4 View Post
I wasnít alive for 77 but Iíve seen a ton of Montana on NFL network and Book looks eerily similar to him.
lol damnit...this was the comparison I wanted to make in the "Looks like we have a QB thread"

Book looks eerily like Montana in a helmet, he plays a lot like Montana being a good passer, good field vision, can scramble but not a burner

Book also has finally been elevated to starter similar to how Montana had to continue to fight and prove himself
Old 10-04-2018, 06:53 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemoore97 View Post
I'd take the less memorable portion of his career, just helping to win a NC. Remember that commercial a few years back with Joe and I think Fr. Ted walking outside and talking about what a great football career Joe had, then deadpanning he asked Joe what he ended up doing after he graduated from ND. Classic.
Great commercial

https://youtu.be/u4Z6GBRwcA4
Old 10-04-2018, 08:00 PM
Domer Domain Junior

I have never had a black out. I like beer but never a black out. I really like beer. I still like beer. Otherwise I remember nothing.

Last edited by Domer Dude; 10-04-2018 at 08:15 PM.
Old 10-04-2018, 08:54 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Yes I remember it well....and it really wasn't that similar.....

First it was clear DEVINE simply did not respect Montana as a QB,,,,he buried him in the depth chart....he played both lysch and Slager the tennis player ahead of him.....why....stubbornness by devine , he was convinced low ego joe simply DID NOT HAVE the leadership characteristics.....so he went with Lysch

Also Montana was already a legend he came into the 4th quarter the year before against NC state with 5 minutes left and trailing 14-6 he went nuts and threw for 130 yards in 5 minutes ND wins 21--14

THE VERY NEXT GAME montana comes into the 4th quarter against air force with the irish trailing 30/10/again montana magic pulls it out 31/30

All around campus everyone KNEW we had a star there and YET slager started again and again and then rusty it was SO frustrating

I think montana missed a year and then LYSCH took over it really sucked

in 77 with lysch playing in game three MUCH to the regret on the student body ND losing AGAIN to purdue….lysch lifted for another QB NOT JOE and then he got his shoulder broke and FINALLY DEVINE WAS FORCED TO GO TO MONTANA AGAIN IN QUARTER 4.....Montana came in with 11 minutes left purdue leading and threw for 160 some yards and ND PULLS IT OUT AGAIN

last minute heroics like nobody ever saw time and time again,,,finally montana took the top spot.....

it was not like this change at all …..this was driven by poor play by Wimbush and the confidence level in book was , well he passes better than BW it really was not the DRAMA and intensity of montanas role behind slager and lysch and devines STUBBORN reluctance to win a NC and put the QB everybody knew should play in the game....

I will say book shows a lot of the touch and nifty movement of joe ,,,if he continues to win the comparisons will grow

aloha

Last edited by hawaiiirish; 10-04-2018 at 09:02 PM.
Old 10-04-2018, 09:09 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:

There are similarities, though Montana gained a reputation in 1975 as a clutch relief guy who had had a couple-one remarkable- comeback wins against North Carolina and Air Force as a sophomore, while Book has been more steady and dependable in a relief role as a sophomore and then as a goal line guy this year. Montana, after sitting out a year due to injury, staged another big comeback win in 1977 as a redshirt senior in relief of Rusty Lisch during the third game of the season at Purdue, where he (finally) solidified his starting position and led them to a National Championship. I think there are similarities in that the offense with Montana as QB just rolled down the field against Purdue-and throughout the year- with an efficiency that was lacking with Lisch. So, both Montana and Book make the offense appear to run like it should, where it was struggling to click with Lisch and Wimbush.

My own personal belief is that Devine wanted a classic pro style QB and Rusty Lisch looked the part. Devine had to be in a worst case scenario- both Lisch and Forystek injured- before he let Montana play. It was kind of crazy, because Montana had this aura about him due to his comebacks as a sophomore, but it goes to show you how stubborn coaches can be about their prototype of what a QB looks like.

Like Devine, there may be an element of stubbornness to Kelly sticking with Wimbush instead of Book, but Book- though steady- hadn't done anything as remarkable a Montana did up to the point he became the undeniable starter. The closest thing was Boykin's TD catch, but even though it was a great people attribute the remarkable aspect of that play to Boykin. I get the feeling that it wasn't that Wimbush was a better prototype QB for Kelly's system than Book, but that he was hoping that Wimbush would finally live up to the potential Kelly attributed to him. Once Kelly realized he wasn't going to, he pulled the trigger. Either way, the offense ran much smoother in 1977 with Montana and now does so far with Book in 2018.

Last edited by Frankus; 10-04-2018 at 09:15 PM.
Old 10-04-2018, 09:18 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Frankus and Hawaii, thanks so much! That is awesome and amazing you both have basically the exact same memory of the situation and pulse of the fans.

Let's hope someday 40 years from now someone posts asking about the famous 2018 National Title when Hall of Famer Ian Book led ND to victory!
Old 10-04-2018, 09:20 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndomer4 View Post
If you think Book looks eerily similar to Montana, check out Tom Clements. That's who he reminds me of.
Old 10-04-2018, 09:26 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Frankus and Hawaii, thanks so much! That is awesome and amazing you both have basically the exact same memory of the situation and pulse of the fans.

Let's hope someday 40 years from now someone posts asking about the famous 2018 National Title when Hall of Famer Ian Book led ND to victory!
That would be cool. The 38-10 beatdown of #1 Texas and Earl Campbell in the bowl game was icing on the cake. It's a lot tougher today when facing two playoff games and a record breaking dominance now playing out in the Alabama program.
Old 10-04-2018, 10:23 PM
Domer Domain Freshman

Default I was a Sophomore in 1977

I agree there are similarities. I even commented to my spouse during the ND/Stanford tilt that the defense was somewhat reminiscent of the National Champions from 1977-78. But that defense was LOADED. Not to say our current D is not. They are just different because the "new" speed in the game requires a bit different skill sets, in my opinion only. I am enjoying the ride just like back then. I still remember vividly a sick Montana in the 1979 Cotton Bowl bringing us back at the end for the win. I sincerely hope we never get even close to needing something like that this season.
Old 10-04-2018, 11:33 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:

Solid memories by them two. Thanks a ton for sparking this topic
Old 10-04-2018, 11:37 PM
Domer Domain Freshman

Totally missed that mini doc and enjoyed it very much. Thanks for sharing Cory!
Old 10-05-2018, 02:29 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
I was at that Purdue game. The story at onefootdown fails to mention that when Lisch went down with an injury, everybody expected Montana to come in. But Devine put Forystek in who then also got hurt. My recollection is- I'm not completely sure- that even then Devine put an injured Lisch back in the game before Montana finally got his chance. In light of how great Montana subsequently became, it is quite amazing how hard it was for Montana to get on the field. I think there's a video at ND's website where he talks about the Purdue game.
Old 10-08-2018, 06:09 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemoore97 View Post
Definitely NOT Father Ted, but humorous nonetheless!
Old 10-08-2018, 06:16 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

What I do remember about that season is the TREMENDOUS scare of the Clemson game. The Irish were riding high, it had been a few weeks since the green jersey USC game, and Clemson almost ended it all, with junior QB Steve Fuller.

Enjoy a little Lindsey Nelson on the ND Replay Network:

Old 10-08-2018, 06:33 PM
Domer Domain Freshman

Default That was Father Riehle

Quote:
Originally Posted by gindie View Post
Definitely NOT Father Ted, but humorous nonetheless!
Father Riehle was the Rector of Pangborn (my dorm) and the team Chaplin. He almost always had a stogie hanging from his mouth or in his hand.
Old 10-09-2018, 11:28 AM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Terrific thread.

Great recall - and nice touch Wilhelm letting us know who the priest is.
Old 10-12-2018, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gindie View Post
What I do remember about that season is the TREMENDOUS scare of the Clemson game. The Irish were riding high, it had been a few weeks since the green jersey USC game, and Clemson almost ended it all, with junior QB Steve Fuller.

Enjoy a little Lindsey Nelson on the ND Replay Network:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5Vk9FYOeG0
Why was Lindsey standing so damn close during the intro?

"It isn't necessary to see a good tackle. You can hear it. "
Knute Rockne