Notre Dame Football News And Talk  


Come check out the news feed! DD Front Page

Go Back   Notre Dame Football News And Talk > Message Board > General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old 11-03-2019, 12:29 AM
4thand1 4thand1 is offline
Junior Member
Domer Domain Walk-On
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 271
Default

Meyer is the only coach I would want to replace Kelly with at this point.

ND has to be decisive with whatever they decide. Letting rumors linger will kill recruiting if they decide to stay with Kelly. If the AD wants to keep Kelly, you have to kill the Meyer rumors immediately.
Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

  #52  
Old 11-03-2019, 12:36 AM
edcubby edcubby is offline
Junior Member
Domer Domain Sophomore
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 1,510
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thand1 View Post
Meyer is the only coach I would want to replace Kelly with at this point.

ND has to be decisive with whatever they decide. Letting rumors linger will kill recruiting if they decide to stay with Kelly. If the AD wants to keep Kelly, you have to kill the Meyer rumors immediately.
I respectfully disagree...

Why address rumors that are started by weirdo fans on social media???

Seriously...these are stupid, stupid made up rumors.
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 11-03-2019, 12:42 AM
Rocketsan's Avatar
Rocketsan Rocketsan is online now
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 17,974
Default

Ya thereís no legit rumours floating around save for that crazy Fienbaum tv bit...
__________________
http://imageshack.com/a/img546/3410/0at9.jpg
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 11-03-2019, 05:36 AM
ELDER06 ELDER06 is offline
Member
Domer Domain Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Cincinnati,OH
Posts: 4,574
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by edcubby View Post
I respectfully disagree...

Why address rumors that are started by weirdo fans on social media???

Seriously...these are stupid, stupid made up rumors.
Yeah, this is all a pipe dream buoyed by Finebaum. Thereís no legitimacy to it. At best, itís coincidental since Kelly seems to have been pretty worn down by this job.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 11-03-2019, 05:40 AM
Rocketsan's Avatar
Rocketsan Rocketsan is online now
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 17,974
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELDER06 View Post
Yeah, this is all a pipe dream buoyed by Finebaum. Thereís no legitimacy to it. At best, itís coincidental since Kelly seems to have been pretty worn down by this job.
Funny, heís had the same look and demeanour since Alabama 2012...
__________________
http://imageshack.com/a/img546/3410/0at9.jpg
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 11-03-2019, 05:47 AM
ELDER06 ELDER06 is offline
Member
Domer Domain Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Cincinnati,OH
Posts: 4,574
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketsan View Post
Funny, heís had the same look and demeanour since Alabama 2012...
Thereís a reason ND hasnít had a head coach older than 60. Itís probably the most difficult job in all of major college football. Youíre expected to win at a high level every yr with one arm tied behind your back.
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 11-03-2019, 12:12 PM
OddThomas's Avatar
OddThomas OddThomas is offline
Junior Member
Domer Domain Freshman
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Mishawaka
Posts: 725
Default

If they hired Meyer, I would quit watching ND after 64 years of following them.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 11-03-2019, 12:34 PM
irishwavend's Avatar
irishwavend irishwavend is offline
Senior Member
Domer Domain All American
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Happiest Place on Earth, FL
Posts: 6,697
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELDER06 View Post
Thereís a reason ND hasnít had a head coach older than 60. Itís probably the most difficult job in all of major college football. Youíre expected to win at a high level every yr with one arm tied behind your back.
What arm? Donít tell me academics...I worked in sports info. You just canít be a complete retard. Fortunately, with the new NCAA rule, we should be able to sell a national revenue stream for these guys.
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 11-03-2019, 02:37 PM
Frankus Frankus is offline
Member
Domer Domain Junior
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Granger, IN
Posts: 3,651
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELDER06 View Post
Thereís a reason ND hasnít had a head coach older than 60. Itís probably the most difficult job in all of major college football. Youíre expected to win at a high level every yr with one arm tied behind your back.
I think this used to be true, but not anymore. Hell, Kelly went 3-9 and kept his job. That would never happen at Alabama, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Florida, LSU, Georgia and USC and perhaps others as well. Each of those schools would have launched Kelly by now.
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 11-03-2019, 03:29 PM
ndmike88's Avatar
ndmike88 ndmike88 is offline
Junior Member
Domer Domain Sophomore
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Lake Winnipesaukee
Posts: 1,756
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELDER06 View Post
Thereís a reason ND hasnít had a head coach older than 60. Itís probably the most difficult job in all of major college football. Youíre expected to win at a high level every yr with one arm tied behind your back.
Notre Dame has lowered their expectations the past few years. The head coaching job is not as demanding as it once was.....Kelly has proven that.
In the past the job was so strenuous that the head coaches quit mainly for health reasons, now it is simply not the reason.
Again with the right coach the Irish could threaten for the national championship every year. This administration and Kelly are satisfied with a winning record, getting blown out on national TV and getting to a bowl game. No one is lighting a fire under Kelly's azz so he knows the administration will accept mediocrity. Until this type of thinking changes the fans be damned.
__________________
Offense wins games. Defense wins championships.
Reply With Quote
  #61  
Old 11-03-2019, 03:33 PM
Kid Gloves's Avatar
Kid Gloves Kid Gloves is offline
Junior Member
Domer Domain Sophomore
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Chandler, AZ
Posts: 1,359
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishwavend View Post
What arm? Donít tell me academics...I worked in sports info. You just canít be a complete retard. Fortunately, with the new NCAA rule, we should be able to sell a national revenue stream for these guys.
It may not be as big of an issue as some make it out to be, but ND admissions do make it more difficult to recruit kids than Clemson, Alabama, Oh St, Florida, etc. there are a pool of kids that ND just simply canít go after on the recruiting front that other schools can.

The biggest factors in my opinion are now more social and weather related vs academic restrictions. The university is very strict as it compares to other ďfootballĒ schools. You just donít have the same fun, social, women, party opportunities at ND as you do in most of the other schools. Then you have the weather factor and small town issues where there arenít a ton of social activities. Finally, you have a punitive administration that looks for every opportunity to punish players for small issues whether they are social or academic as compared to what happens at other football schools.

So yeah, while the academic/admission stuff may be a little overblown, these other factors are real and create a disadvantage for ND when recruiting.

That said, Iím not giving BK a pass. His *** needs to go. He doesnít develop the players that he does get here and they donít reach their potential.
__________________
"Response? Yeah, I have a response. Uh....What?!?
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 11-03-2019, 04:37 PM
ndomer4's Avatar
ndomer4 ndomer4 is online now
Senior Member
Domer Domain All American
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Posts: 5,175
Default

This is a pipe dream.

We know he’d rather be at USC. Him and his wife love the weather in California and he won’t have to deal with the restrictions.

There’s plenty of realistic options out there who could be the next Meyer, Dabo, etc...

There’s Fleck, Campbell, Clawson, Rhule, Norvell and probably a few others. Give these guys another year to prove it and start interviewing them the year Kelly’s contract ends. Does it end in 2020 or 2021?
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 11-03-2019, 04:44 PM
ELDER06 ELDER06 is offline
Member
Domer Domain Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Cincinnati,OH
Posts: 4,574
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishwavend View Post
What arm? Donít tell me academics...I worked in sports info. You just canít be a complete retard. Fortunately, with the new NCAA rule, we should be able to sell a national revenue stream for these guys.
You can be a complete retard and play at other schools. At ND you at least have to be competent and put forth effort.
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 11-03-2019, 04:47 PM
ELDER06 ELDER06 is offline
Member
Domer Domain Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Cincinnati,OH
Posts: 4,574
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankus View Post
I think this used to be true, but not anymore. Hell, Kelly went 3-9 and kept his job. That would never happen at Alabama, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Florida, LSU, Georgia and USC and perhaps others as well. Each of those schools would have launched Kelly by now.
Thatís a pretty big assumption. Based on track record, no, I do not believe you get fired at any of those places for 1 bad season.
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 11-03-2019, 04:49 PM
ELDER06 ELDER06 is offline
Member
Domer Domain Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Cincinnati,OH
Posts: 4,574
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndmike88 View Post
Notre Dame has lowered their expectations the past few years. The head coaching job is not as demanding as it once was.....Kelly has proven that.
In the past the job was so strenuous that the head coaches quit mainly for health reasons, now it is simply not the reason.
Again with the right coach the Irish could threaten for the national championship every year. This administration and Kelly are satisfied with a winning record, getting blown out on national TV and getting to a bowl game. No one is lighting a fire under Kelly's azz so he knows the administration will accept mediocrity. Until this type of thinking changes the fans be damned.
Thatís just not true and itís totally delusional. The academic requirements will keep them from being consistently competitive at a high level. And stop acting like you know what the fck the Admin is thinking. You donít know s**t. Kelly just went to a playoff. He has ND close, but itís going to take more time to take that next leap.
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 11-03-2019, 05:24 PM
ndmike88's Avatar
ndmike88 ndmike88 is offline
Junior Member
Domer Domain Sophomore
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Lake Winnipesaukee
Posts: 1,756
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELDER06 View Post
Thatís just not true and itís totally delusional. The academic requirements will keep them from being consistently competitive at a high level. And stop acting like you know what the fck the Admin is thinking. You donít know s**t. Kelly just went to a playoff. He has ND close, but itís going to take more time to take that next leap.
The fact that Kelly is still the head coach proves my point. If you can't see that or refuse to see it just proves you don't know anything about what ND football is all about.
In your infinite wisdom how much longer should the Administration give Kelly to prove he can take ND to the next level?
__________________
Offense wins games. Defense wins championships.
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 11-03-2019, 05:30 PM
TexasDomer's Avatar
TexasDomer TexasDomer is offline
Junior Member
Domer Domain Sophomore
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,349
Default

Just agree to disagree, guys.

Name calling is beneath you both. You have reasonable positions, but different conclusions.
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 11-03-2019, 05:31 PM
ELDER06 ELDER06 is offline
Member
Domer Domain Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Cincinnati,OH
Posts: 4,574
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndmike88 View Post
The fact that Kelly is still the head coach proves my point. If you can't see that or refuse to see it just proves you don't know anything about what ND football is all about.
In your infinite wisdom how much longer should the Administration give Kelly to prove he can take ND to the next level?
Or maybe, just maybe, youíre a dumb fck who doesnít understand how the real world works?
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 11-03-2019, 05:31 PM
ELDER06 ELDER06 is offline
Member
Domer Domain Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Cincinnati,OH
Posts: 4,574
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasDomer View Post
Just agree to disagree, guys.

Name calling is beneath you both. You have reasonable positions, but different conclusions.
Firing a coach who went to the playoff last yr isnít a reasonable position.
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 11-03-2019, 05:32 PM
goirish83's Avatar
goirish83 goirish83 is offline
Senior Member
Domer Domain All American
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toledo, OH
Posts: 5,503
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELDER06 View Post
Thatís a pretty big assumption. Based on track record, no, I do not believe you get fired at any of those places for 1 bad season.
Maybe because at those places those guys have actually won big time games. Kelly hadnt done enough prior to 16 to warrant being kept on after a 4-8 record
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 11-03-2019, 05:33 PM
goirish83's Avatar
goirish83 goirish83 is offline
Senior Member
Domer Domain All American
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toledo, OH
Posts: 5,503
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELDER06 View Post
Thatís just not true and itís totally delusional. The academic requirements will keep them from being consistently competitive at a high level. And stop acting like you know what the fck the Admin is thinking. You donít know s**t. Kelly just went to a playoff. He has ND close, but itís going to take more time to take that next leap.
It's going to take another head coach, anyone who thinks that kelly is capable of taking that next step is the delusional one
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 11-03-2019, 05:38 PM
ELDER06 ELDER06 is offline
Member
Domer Domain Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Cincinnati,OH
Posts: 4,574
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by goirish83 View Post
It's going to take another head coach, anyone who thinks that kelly is capable of taking that next step is the delusional one
Anyone who canít see that it takes more time at ND to take that next step is delusional. Itís 2 steps forward and 1 step back, but Kelly can get them there.
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 11-03-2019, 05:38 PM
ELDER06 ELDER06 is offline
Member
Domer Domain Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Cincinnati,OH
Posts: 4,574
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by goirish83 View Post
Maybe because at those places those guys have actually won big time games. Kelly hadnt done enough prior to 16 to warrant being kept on after a 4-8 record
He did go to a National Title game before that.
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 11-03-2019, 05:40 PM
TexasDomer's Avatar
TexasDomer TexasDomer is offline
Junior Member
Domer Domain Sophomore
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,349
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELDER06 View Post
Firing a coach who went to the playoff last yr isnít a reasonable position.
Thatís the conclusion he reached.

I get it. Youíre too emotionally invested in being right to see things without assuming youíre either 1) under attack (Iím not attacking you) or 2) intellectually superior to others (you may be... who am I to disagree?)

Either way, this is not the time for discussing things with you.
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 11-03-2019, 05:43 PM
ELDER06 ELDER06 is offline
Member
Domer Domain Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Cincinnati,OH
Posts: 4,574
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasDomer View Post
Thatís the conclusion he reached.

I get it. Youíre too emotionally invested in being right to see things without assuming youíre either 1) under attack (Iím not attacking you) or 2) intellectually superior to others (you may be... who am I to disagree?)

Either way, this is not the time for discussing things with you.
Iím not emotionally invested in being right. I think any rational non ND fan would see Kelly is a pretty damn good coach. Is Meyer better? Absolutely, beyond a shadow of a doubt. I wish he was NDís coach. However, that doesnít seem realistic. And the people who want to fire him so Fleck can start things over from scratch, is moronic.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Also visit IrishEnvy, our Notre Dame Football partner site

All times are GMT. The time now is 01:51 AM.

Last Updated: May 31, 2020

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.