Notre Dame Football News And Talk  

Come check out the news feed! DD Front Page

Go Back   Notre Dame Football News And Talk > Message Board > General Discussion

Old 11-03-2019, 12:29 AM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Meyer is the only coach I would want to replace Kelly with at this point.

ND has to be decisive with whatever they decide. Letting rumors linger will kill recruiting if they decide to stay with Kelly. If the AD wants to keep Kelly, you have to kill the Meyer rumors immediately.

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 11-03-2019, 12:36 AM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thand1 View Post
Meyer is the only coach I would want to replace Kelly with at this point.

ND has to be decisive with whatever they decide. Letting rumors linger will kill recruiting if they decide to stay with Kelly. If the AD wants to keep Kelly, you have to kill the Meyer rumors immediately.
I respectfully disagree...

Why address rumors that are started by weirdo fans on social media???

Seriously...these are stupid, stupid made up rumors.
Old 11-03-2019, 12:42 AM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Ya thereís no legit rumours floating around save for that crazy Fienbaum tv bit...
Old 11-03-2019, 05:36 AM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by edcubby View Post
I respectfully disagree...

Why address rumors that are started by weirdo fans on social media???

Seriously...these are stupid, stupid made up rumors.
Yeah, this is all a pipe dream buoyed by Finebaum. Thereís no legitimacy to it. At best, itís coincidental since Kelly seems to have been pretty worn down by this job.
Old 11-03-2019, 05:40 AM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELDER06 View Post
Yeah, this is all a pipe dream buoyed by Finebaum. Thereís no legitimacy to it. At best, itís coincidental since Kelly seems to have been pretty worn down by this job.
Funny, heís had the same look and demeanour since Alabama 2012...
Old 11-03-2019, 05:47 AM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketsan View Post
Funny, heís had the same look and demeanour since Alabama 2012...
Thereís a reason ND hasnít had a head coach older than 60. Itís probably the most difficult job in all of major college football. Youíre expected to win at a high level every yr with one arm tied behind your back.
Old 11-03-2019, 12:12 PM
Domer Domain Freshman

If they hired Meyer, I would quit watching ND after 64 years of following them.
Old 11-03-2019, 12:34 PM
Domer Domain All American

Quote:
Thereís a reason ND hasnít had a head coach older than 60. Itís probably the most difficult job in all of major college football. Youíre expected to win at a high level every yr with one arm tied behind your back.
What arm? Donít tell me academics...I worked in sports info. You just canít be a complete retard. Fortunately, with the new NCAA rule, we should be able to sell a national revenue stream for these guys.
Old 11-03-2019, 02:37 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
I think this used to be true, but not anymore. Hell, Kelly went 3-9 and kept his job. That would never happen at Alabama, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Florida, LSU, Georgia and USC and perhaps others as well. Each of those schools would have launched Kelly by now.
Old 11-03-2019, 03:29 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Notre Dame has lowered their expectations the past few years. The head coaching job is not as demanding as it once was.....Kelly has proven that.
In the past the job was so strenuous that the head coaches quit mainly for health reasons, now it is simply not the reason.
Again with the right coach the Irish could threaten for the national championship every year. This administration and Kelly are satisfied with a winning record, getting blown out on national TV and getting to a bowl game. No one is lighting a fire under Kelly's azz so he knows the administration will accept mediocrity. Until this type of thinking changes the fans be damned.
Old 11-03-2019, 03:33 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishwavend View Post
What arm? Donít tell me academics...I worked in sports info. You just canít be a complete retard. Fortunately, with the new NCAA rule, we should be able to sell a national revenue stream for these guys.
It may not be as big of an issue as some make it out to be, but ND admissions do make it more difficult to recruit kids than Clemson, Alabama, Oh St, Florida, etc. there are a pool of kids that ND just simply canít go after on the recruiting front that other schools can.

The biggest factors in my opinion are now more social and weather related vs academic restrictions. The university is very strict as it compares to other ďfootballĒ schools. You just donít have the same fun, social, women, party opportunities at ND as you do in most of the other schools. Then you have the weather factor and small town issues where there arenít a ton of social activities. Finally, you have a punitive administration that looks for every opportunity to punish players for small issues whether they are social or academic as compared to what happens at other football schools.

So yeah, while the academic/admission stuff may be a little overblown, these other factors are real and create a disadvantage for ND when recruiting.

That said, Iím not giving BK a pass. His *** needs to go. He doesnít develop the players that he does get here and they donít reach their potential.
Old 11-03-2019, 04:37 PM

This is a pipe dream.

We know he’d rather be at USC. Him and his wife love the weather in California and he won’t have to deal with the restrictions.

There’s plenty of realistic options out there who could be the next Meyer, Dabo, etc...

There’s Fleck, Campbell, Clawson, Rhule, Norvell and probably a few others. Give these guys another year to prove it and start interviewing them the year Kelly’s contract ends. Does it end in 2020 or 2021?
Old 11-03-2019, 04:44 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishwavend View Post
You can be a complete retard and play at other schools. At ND you at least have to be competent and put forth effort.
Old 11-03-2019, 04:47 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankus View Post
I think this used to be true, but not anymore. Hell, Kelly went 3-9 and kept his job. That would never happen at Alabama, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Florida, LSU, Georgia and USC and perhaps others as well. Each of those schools would have launched Kelly by now.
Thatís a pretty big assumption. Based on track record, no, I do not believe you get fired at any of those places for 1 bad season.
Old 11-03-2019, 04:49 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndmike88 View Post
Notre Dame has lowered their expectations the past few years. The head coaching job is not as demanding as it once was.....Kelly has proven that.
In the past the job was so strenuous that the head coaches quit mainly for health reasons, now it is simply not the reason.
Again with the right coach the Irish could threaten for the national championship every year. This administration and Kelly are satisfied with a winning record, getting blown out on national TV and getting to a bowl game. No one is lighting a fire under Kelly's azz so he knows the administration will accept mediocrity. Until this type of thinking changes the fans be damned.
Thatís just not true and itís totally delusional. The academic requirements will keep them from being consistently competitive at a high level. And stop acting like you know what the fck the Admin is thinking. You donít know s**t. Kelly just went to a playoff. He has ND close, but itís going to take more time to take that next leap.
Old 11-03-2019, 05:24 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Question

Quote:
Thatís just not true and itís totally delusional. The academic requirements will keep them from being consistently competitive at a high level. And stop acting like you know what the fck the Admin is thinking. You donít know s**t. Kelly just went to a playoff. He has ND close, but itís going to take more time to take that next leap.
The fact that Kelly is still the head coach proves my point. If you can't see that or refuse to see it just proves you don't know anything about what ND football is all about.
In your infinite wisdom how much longer should the Administration give Kelly to prove he can take ND to the next level?
Old 11-03-2019, 05:30 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Just agree to disagree, guys.

Name calling is beneath you both. You have reasonable positions, but different conclusions.
Old 11-03-2019, 05:31 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndmike88 View Post
The fact that Kelly is still the head coach proves my point. If you can't see that or refuse to see it just proves you don't know anything about what ND football is all about.
In your infinite wisdom how much longer should the Administration give Kelly to prove he can take ND to the next level?
Or maybe, just maybe, youíre a dumb fck who doesnít understand how the real world works?
Old 11-03-2019, 05:31 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasDomer View Post
Just agree to disagree, guys.

Name calling is beneath you both. You have reasonable positions, but different conclusions.
Firing a coach who went to the playoff last yr isnít a reasonable position.
Old 11-03-2019, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Thatís a pretty big assumption. Based on track record, no, I do not believe you get fired at any of those places for 1 bad season.
Maybe because at those places those guys have actually won big time games. Kelly hadnt done enough prior to 16 to warrant being kept on after a 4-8 record
Old 11-03-2019, 05:33 PM

Quote:
It's going to take another head coach, anyone who thinks that kelly is capable of taking that next step is the delusional one
Old 11-03-2019, 05:38 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goirish83 View Post
It's going to take another head coach, anyone who thinks that kelly is capable of taking that next step is the delusional one
Anyone who canít see that it takes more time at ND to take that next step is delusional. Itís 2 steps forward and 1 step back, but Kelly can get them there.
Old 11-03-2019, 05:38 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goirish83 View Post
Maybe because at those places those guys have actually won big time games. Kelly hadnt done enough prior to 16 to warrant being kept on after a 4-8 record
He did go to a National Title game before that.
Old 11-03-2019, 05:40 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Firing a coach who went to the playoff last yr isnít a reasonable position.
Thatís the conclusion he reached.

I get it. Youíre too emotionally invested in being right to see things without assuming youíre either 1) under attack (Iím not attacking you) or 2) intellectually superior to others (you may be... who am I to disagree?)

Either way, this is not the time for discussing things with you.
Old 11-03-2019, 05:43 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasDomer View Post
Thatís the conclusion he reached.

I get it. Youíre too emotionally invested in being right to see things without assuming youíre either 1) under attack (Iím not attacking you) or 2) intellectually superior to others (you may be... who am I to disagree?)

Either way, this is not the time for discussing things with you.
Iím not emotionally invested in being right. I think any rational non ND fan would see Kelly is a pretty damn good coach. Is Meyer better? Absolutely, beyond a shadow of a doubt. I wish he was NDís coach. However, that doesnít seem realistic. And the people who want to fire him so Fleck can start things over from scratch, is moronic.