Notre Dame Football News And Talk  

Come check out the news feed! DD Front Page

Go Back   Notre Dame Football News And Talk > Message Board > General Discussion

Old 04-12-2016, 04:22 PM
Domer Domain Freshman

Default fan from the 40's-70's?

I've been reading some books from the Leahy and Ara Era's. I didn't become a fan of ND until the Snow Bowl game in '92 (born in '73). These books fill my heart with joy and nostalgia even though I wasn't a part of it. Reading about the great coaches and what leaders they were as well as some of the players. Gives me the chills.

I know there were a lot of "dead" years between Leahy and Ara and times weren't all that great. But man, it seems from reading those books, that's when ND really mattered (I know late 80's and early 90's were good too). I wish I could have been a part of it.

Any of you guys around at that time?

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 04-12-2016, 04:43 PM
Domer Domain Junior

I wasn't around(born '75), but technically have been here for two NC's. All my memories are from '88 on, and those Lou teams were awesome!

I have probably 4-5 ND books laying around....at least. All of them are just a treasure trove of info about ND football lore. If you can, check out NDNation sometime. They have some real old timers there who share all sorts of interesting stories from the past. I think some of the posts are saved in their HoF or archives. If you didn't know one of Leahy's sons post over there regularly and is a wealth of knowledge, and others too. Books are nice, but sometimes hearing tales of the program, games, and individuals from people who saw them first hand is even more interesting IMO.
Old 04-12-2016, 06:03 PM
Domer Domain All American

I bet it sounded great on the radio when they played a game that doesn't resemble the one we watch today.
Old 04-12-2016, 09:47 PM
Domer Domain Freshman

The University was all in for decades.They stopped 20 years ago and haven't been all in since. And it has shown mightily on the field. We have failed to win one BCS bowl game in that time. That's a problem.

Last edited by Handsome Jack; 04-12-2016 at 09:49 PM.
Old 04-12-2016, 09:48 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratey View Post
I bet it sounded great on the radio when they played a game that doesn't resemble the one we watch today.
This. The reasons have been delineated dozens of times (at least), so I'll leave the overall theme of why alone.

Life is best viewed through the windshield, not the rearview mirror. I'm 41; the only experiences I have with the glory days of yore are through documentaries and books. My conscious experience starts with Faust.

If the measuring lives are Rockne and Leahy, and that is the prism through which you view ND football, you are going to end up dangling from a chandelier.
Old 04-12-2016, 10:16 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Growing up and listening to the Irish in the '70's was like polished wood, handcrafted leather furniture, stained glass windows, and a crackling fire in a huge fireplace on a crisp autumn afternoon.
The Indiana General Assembly granted the school its charter on January 15, 1844 under the name University of Notre Dame du Lac. While the translation of the French is "Our Lady of the Lake," the university actually has two lakes on its campus.

Old 04-12-2016, 11:44 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handsome Jack View Post
The University was all in for decades.They stopped 20 years ago and haven't been all in since. And it has shown mightily on the field. We have failed to win one BCS bowl game in that time. That's a problem.
This isn't true. ND has emphasized and deemphasized football cyclicly since Rockne. Right after Leahy the university cut a ton of football scholarships in a time when teams could have unlimited scholarships. This obviously led to an awful string of seasons in comparison to what came before and what would come after.

After the success of Ara and Devine they hired a high school football coach as there head coach. Does that scream "all in" to you?

The University has given Kelly way more than they ever gave Bob, Ty or Charlie, (probably because he's a much better coach than any of them) and it shows. Alabama had a similar 20ish year of mediocrity and do you think for a second that they weren't "all in?"
Old 04-12-2016, 11:56 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratey View Post
It was great - also the Sunday TV replay in the early 50s - "Nick Pi-et-tro-santi"
are fond memories.

I somehow down loaded a 4 part radio broadcast of the 1946 game against Army - the 0-0 tie in Yankee Stadium (Davis, Blanchard & Lujack). In total the broadcast runs about 30 megs. Let me know if you want it, I will e-mail it to you.
Old 04-13-2016, 01:51 AM
Domer Domain Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dardo View Post
This isn't true. ND has emphasized and deemphasized football cyclicly since Rockne. Right after Leahy the university cut a ton of football scholarships in a time when teams could have unlimited scholarships. This obviously led to an awful string of seasons in comparison to what came before and what would come after.

After the success of Ara and Devine they hired a high school football coach as there head coach. Does that scream "all in" to you?

The University has given Kelly way more than they ever gave Bob, Ty or Charlie, (probably because he's a much better coach than any of them) and it shows. Alabama had a similar 20ish year of mediocrity and do you think for a second that they weren't "all in?"
So they didn't give the other guys much because they knew they hired lousy coaches? And then once they realized that Kelly was actually good they said ' hey let's work with this guy?' I think it was more like they realized that they made a 20 year mistake.

Alabama never had a TWENTY year stretch like we had. They won the national title under Stallings in the 1990's and I believe won multiple SEC titles between that title and Saban.

I agree with you about ND working more with the football program lately, which is a bit of fresh air. Especially when you consider it was treated with disdain for years.
Old 04-13-2016, 02:06 AM

Quote:
So they didn't give the other guys much because they knew they hired lousy coaches? And then once they realized that Kelly was actually good they said ' hey let's work with this guy?' I think it was more like they realized that they made a 20 year mistake.

Alabama never had a TWENTY year stretch like we had. They won th e national title under Stallings in the 1990's and I believe won multiple SEC titles between that title and Saban.

I agree with you about ND working more with the football program lately, which is a bit of fresh air. Especially when you consider it was treated with disdain for years.

My opinion only. But as it became a pass heavy game. Teams from the North began to struggle. Teams from the South began to move upward. ND was progressive but as the best athletes from the south began to play football all year around instead of splitting time between baseball and football things began to change.

Keep That Fighting Spirit

"Let me see you disrespect me now, when my face is to ya" Lou Holtz

Resident video nerd and DomerDomain MVP since 2011
Old 04-13-2016, 02:18 AM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
And it has shown mightily on the field. We have failed to win one BCS bowl game in that time. That's a problem.
I agree. ND will never be at the level of Bama or OSU on a consistent basis, but they can and should win BCS bowl games. If Stanford can do it, so can ND.
Old 04-13-2016, 04:08 AM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELDER06 View Post
I agree. ND will never be at the level of Bama or OSU on a consistent basis, but they can and should win BCS bowl games. If Stanford can do it, so can ND.
I agree with this also. Some fans act as if both positions are mutually exclusive; they are not.
Old 04-13-2016, 01:02 PM

Football wasn't even the same game back then...

In the 1940s, the average offensive lineman was 6-foot-1, 221 pounds.
In the 1950s, the average offensive lineman was 6-foot-2, 234 pounds
In the 1960s, the average offensive lineman was 6-foot-3, 251 pounds.
In the 1970s, the average offensive lineman was 6-foot-3, 255 pounds.

It wasn't until really the 1980s where linemen started tipping the scales...What I'm saying is if you look at our TE's...
Jones 6'4" 240lb
Smythe 6'4" 245lb
Weishar 6'4" 245lb
They could have been our offensive line.

Look at this:

It's like watching a High School game....
Old 04-14-2016, 12:26 AM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:

Alabama never had a TWENTY year stretch like we had. They won the national title under Stallings in the 1990's and I believe won multiple SEC titles between that title and Saban.

Bama won NC once in the 90's. They didn't get there again until Saban. They didn't win multiple SEC titles during that period because that was when the East dominated the conference for the 90's and early 2000's until Saban got to LSU oh and there was the stint with Bowden at Auburn too. Needless to say between Stallings NC and Saban NC Bama was not very good at all compared to their history.