Notre Dame Football News And Talk  

Come check out the news feed! DD Front Page

Go Back   Notre Dame Football News And Talk > Message Board > Open Forum

Old 12-06-2013, 05:16 PM
Administrator
Domer Domain Legend

Default Chicago dinner recommendations

We're going and need suggestions for Saturday night dinner. Suggestions? Maybe something around the $50-$70 per person range?

"
If we were in the wild, I would attack u. Even if u weren’t in my food chain, I would go out of my way to attack u!" ~Manti Teo

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 12-06-2013, 05:18 PM
Administrator
Domer Domain Legend

bump

weinerweinerweiner

"
If we were in the wild, I would attack u. Even if u weren’t in my food chain, I would go out of my way to attack u!" ~Manti Teo

Old 12-06-2013, 05:35 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

What are you in the mood for?

Steak - Gibsons is really solid. Chicago Cut Steakhouse is good. David Burke's is always good. Flemings. Benny's Chop House. Chicago is loaded with steak joints. Most are pricey, price goes up with alcohol/wine obviously, but I'd guess you'd be under $70 at most of those, depending on the cut of meat.

The 95th Floor is a fun place. On top of the Hancock Building, the food is really good, the view is even better. Nice lounge on the floor above for before/after dinner drinks.

Fogo De Chao is a Brazilian steakhouse that is pretty good and fun to eat at. If you haven't been to one, they have literally a dozen types of meat on giant sticks that they carve right at your table. All you can eat type place with a huge salad bar. Good choice for big eaters.

I doubt pizza is what you are looking for, but a good Chicago style with some beers is never a bad choice.

Heck, that is just a sampling, though I've been to these and know they are good, but if you google "Best Chicago Restaurants" you will find list after list of good places depending on what you want.
Old 12-06-2013, 05:40 PM
Domer Domain Junior

95th floor if you're downtown. Can't remember prices. Could run you $70 per easy.

Pizza place in the burbs - Elmhurst - not too far out - called Roberto's. On Spring Road. Cheaper than $50 per that's for sure.
Old 12-06-2013, 05:58 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Agree with Cory, Gibson's is iconic and a good choice if you haven't been there. You might also try Keefer's on Kinzie. Fun place and good value.
Old 12-06-2013, 06:02 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Just got back from first trip to Chicago. Had dinner at Shaw's Crab House on East Hubbard. Everything was great. Wife had the Grouper, odlest son had a Filet, other boys had Crab and Clams. I had Filet with Scallops and Shrimp. Desserts were all homemade and excellent. We literally didn't leave a crumb of food on our plates. Total for all of us, including tip was just over $300, so probably in your range.
Old 12-06-2013, 07:17 PM
Administrator
Domer Domain Legend

Yea, I've been to Shaw's. excellent crab legs! Might do the brunch there on Sunday. Gibson's seem to come up a lot so might have to try that. Been to 95th on my honeymoon 20 years ago and was very good, might have to check it out again. I remember the view was fantastic. Thanks guys for the suggestions. Still open to others as well.

"

Old 12-08-2013, 10:32 PM
Domer Domain Freshman

Steakhouse - I assume your staying downtown but Tango Sur is my favorite restaurant in Chicago. Argentinean steakhouse up in wrigleyville, BYOB, always packed but they don't take reservations so you give em your cell number and hop down to another bar on southport. Huge portions and super cheap for what you get. Plus Southport is a fun street to walk down with little shops/restaurants/bars (just walk south). Been there on dates and with friends. Otherwise just pick any of the steakhouses close to downtown and you'll like them but be prepared to pay but you'll get more steakhouse style dinner.

Italian - Rose Angelis located in Lincoln Park. Been here several times on date night. It has the family restuarant feel and is very good food and good value. Heard RPM Italian is pretty good downtown but never been.

Microbrewery - Haymarket in west loop which is close to downtown. Good beers. Good pizza and other pub type food.

Pizza - Lou Malnatis is my favorite and Pequods is second favorite for Chicago style. Piece in Wicker Park is an awesome spot that also has its own microbrewery (note its not chicago style).

Sushi - Sunda in River North close to downtown. Try the beef lollipops...awesome!

Most of these suggestions are on the less expensive side ($30-50/person) but you throw in tons drinks anywhere and it can quickly climb.

Last edited by DTCBND03; 12-08-2013 at 10:37 PM.
Old 12-08-2013, 10:40 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedsterX View Post
Yea, I've been to Shaw's. excellent crab legs! Might do the brunch there on Sunday. Gibson's seem to come up a lot so might have to try that. Been to 95th on my honeymoon 20 years ago and was very good, might have to check it out again. I remember the view was fantastic. Thanks guys for the suggestions. Still open to others as well.
If you haven't been to Gibsons go there just to say you went. If you want something other than steak they have one of the best burgers ever.
Old 12-08-2013, 11:23 PM
Administrator
Domer Domain Legend

if you like mexican, rick bayless's restaurant Frontera grill is awesome and within your budget.........

Too much virtue is gonna hurt you!!

Clarity
The moment when you realize the preseason polls were wrong. Again.

ASBC!!!!!!
Old 12-09-2013, 05:57 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

So, what did you go with?
Old 12-10-2013, 12:11 AM
Administrator
Domer Domain Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by corysold View Post
So, what did you go with?
We went to the German Christmas Market in Daley Plaza. Then to dinner at Gibson's for the 10oz filet. Then we went to a small bar for a few drinks and then a Carriage Ride through the Magnificent Mile to the John Hancock building. We then closed down the Signature Room's lounge. What a view! Then off to Redhedders Piano Bar and then to sleep. Thanks guys! Great day and night!

"