Come check out the news feed! DD Front Page

Go Back   Notre Dame Football News And Talk > Message Board > Open Forum

Old 11-11-2006, 04:29 AM
irishrick

Default yankees trad shef??????

Yankees trade Sheffield to Tigers for three pitching prospects
Ronald Blum, Canadian Press
Published: Friday, November 10, 2006
NEW YORK (AP) - Gary Sheffield left New York with what he wanted: a US$28 million contract extension through 2009 and a promise that he wouldn't be playing first base.

Sheffield was traded from the Yankees to the Detroit Tigers on Friday for three pitching prospects in the first major trade of the off-season, a deal that brings him back to Tigers manager Jim Leyland and team president Dave Dombrowski.

"I was ecstatic because I get reunited with the people that I've always loved," Sheffield said. "They're business-minded. They're smart people. They're respectful people. They treat you like men. That's what you want to be around. To reunite with them after 10 years is a blessing."

New York gets right-handers Humberto Sanchez, Kevin Whelan and Anthony Claggett.

"I was trying to find something that would make the Yankee family happy and consequently that would make the Sheff family happy, so I think this worked in everybody's favour," New York general manager Brian Cashman said. "I had a number of deals on the table and this is the one I wanted."

In 1997, Sheffield won a World Series title for the Florida Marlins, managed by Leyland under Dombrowski, who was the team's general manager.

"This is one of the ultimate bats in baseball and one of the ultimate people in baseball," Leyland said. "I have the utmost respect for him. I can't tell you how happy we are. It's almost unbelievable. It's hard for me to believe that we landed Gary Sheffield."

Detroit and New York reached a tentative agreement on the deal Tuesday night, and the Tigers had a three-day window to agree to a contract extension. Sheffield and the Tigers agreed Thursday to the new contract, which includes some deferred money, and Sheffield took a physical Friday.

"It's unfortunate from the sense that Gary's a good friend," Yankees shortstop Derek Jeter said. "That's the part of the business you never get used to."

Sheffield, who turns 38 on Nov. 18, has 455 homers in 19 seasons but became superfluous in New York after the Yankees acquired Bobby Abreu from Philadelphia in late July. Sheffield topped 34 homers and 120 RBIs in each of his first two seasons with the Yankees, but missed most of 2006 with a wrist injury from an April collision with Toronto's Shea Hillenbrand.

"I'm happy it didn't drag out," manager Joe Torre said Friday night at a dinner for his foundation. "It just looked like it was getting uncomfortable for both sides. At least Gary's going back to the manager he won a World Series with and I know that Jimmy thinks very highly of him."

When Sheffield returned in late September, the Yankees shifted him to first base.

"I have no plans to play him at first base," Leyland said. "It might get on his mind and affect his hitting."

Leyland plans to use Sheffield primarily as a designated hitter as Detroit tries to repeat as AL champions and win the World Series for the first time since 1984. Sheffield also will be a backup to Magglio Ordonez in right and possibly to Craig Monroe in left.

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 11-11-2006, 04:49 AM
Domer Domain All American

im not surprised Sheffield was traded because it was something that was going to happen, im just a little surprised at who the Yankees got back in return. i was expecting the Yankees to get more.

Humberto Sanchez is a good prospect. rotoworld.com says this about him..
"Sanchez's outstanding right arm didn't lead to much in the way of results prior to last season, but he settled in as a top prospect in 2006 by going 10-6 with a 2.63 ERA, 97 H and 129/47 K/BB in 123 IP between Double- and Triple-A. He did miss some time in late July with a sore elbow, which is a concern entering 2006. However, there aren't many better pitching prospects. He probably ranks as the Yankees' No. 2 prospect behind Philip Hughes and Jose Tabata. He might break into the majors as a reliever next year, and he could be part of the rotation by the end of the season or 2008."

here is what rotoworld says on the other two guys.

Kevin Whelan..
"Whelan, a Texas A&M product, quickly emerged as one of the Tigers' best prospects after being drafted. He struggled with his command during the early portion of last season, but he impressive over the final three months and finished with a 2.67 ERA and a 69/29 K/BB ratio in 54 innings for Single-A Lakeland. He has closer potential, though it probably won't ever happen with the Yankees. He might be ready to help out by 2008."

Anthony Claggett..
"Claggett, 22, wasn't very highly regarded entering the season, but he finished with a 0.90 ERA in 60 1/3 innings, most of them coming at low Single-A West Michigan. He doesn't have the same upside as Kevin Whelan, but he's a pretty good relief prospect. He'll probably open next season at Single-A Tampa, though an early promotion to Double-A could be a possibility."

it seems wierd to me that the Yankees would purposely pick up Sheffield's option for next year just to trade him instead of letting him go be a free agent, and these are the players they got.
the Yankees have crazy amount of money so its not like they need the prospects, and if they were interested in prospects i think they could have gotten more in return for Sheffield especially since Sheffield went on to sign a 2 year contract extension with Detroit.

good pick up for Detroit though, Sheffield will help them out alot. i had been hearing that the Tigers would trade one of their top starters(Jeremy Bonderman) for a big time bat.. but maybe now they wont need to. puts Detroit in a good position for next year