Notre Dame Football News And Talk  

Come check out the news feed! DD Front Page

Go Back   Notre Dame Football News And Talk > Message Board > General Discussion

Old 08-14-2011, 05:14 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

[quote=jessemoore97;359426]I agree that he'll probably start. I don't buy the "leaps and bounds" argument either. If it shows on the field, when it counts, then I'll be a believer. Crist runs too hot and cold, and he needs to find a nice consistency when he plays. He doesn't need to be a world beater, just reliable. If I could take Dayne's ability and merge it with Rees gameday mindset, we'd have one hell of a QB![/QUOTE]

Also known as JIMMY C.! Damn I would love to see him run this offense! Hope he make it with the big boys in the NFL!

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 08-14-2011, 07:06 PM
Domer Domain All American

Jimmy will end up traded by end of year. Cam has a lot of escapability which he will need Bc Carolina's line is bad.
Old 08-14-2011, 09:36 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirodomer View Post
Jimmy will end up traded by end of year. Cam has a lot of escapability which he will need Bc Carolina's line is bad.
I hope we do see Jimmy traded. Trade him to a team in need of a passer and who has a line that will block for him. Hell, Trade him to the Colts and let him sit behind Manning for a season or two. Payton has had 2 neck operations in what? 3 years? His career is winding down and Painter isn't the heir.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:04 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Crist, if he stays healthy, starts against USF.

Rees and Hendrix get some reps.

Golson comes into the Michigan game for a couple series with an option package. Golson, Wood, and Riddick lookin' like Rice, Green, and Watters.

The Indiana General Assembly granted the school its charter on January 15, 1844 under the name University of Notre Dame du Lac. While the translation of the French is "Our Lady of the Lake," the university actually has two lakes on its campus.

Old 08-14-2011, 11:29 PM

Gentlemen, we have a qb issue. If crist can't pul away from this lot then i'm concerned that the qb position will hamper us.

I think crist has more potential, I have more faith in rees.

I don't think hendrix or golson will ever be qb 1.
Old 08-15-2011, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davislove View Post
Gentlemen, we have a qb issue. If crist can't pul away from this lot then i'm concerned that the qb position will hamper us.

I think crist has more potential, I have more faith in rees.

I don't think hendrix or golson will ever be qb 1.
If we do, I'm in denial until after game 1.. I'll take 2011's situation over 2010's take anytime.

Keep That Fighting Spirit

"Let me see you disrespect me now, when my face is to ya" Lou Holtz

Resident video nerd and DomerDomain MVP since 2011
Old 08-15-2011, 02:12 AM

Did you guys see ESPN? Jimmy Clausen is paying his NFL money back and taking his last year of eligibility at ND!

I need to lay off of the Maker's!
Old 08-15-2011, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Did you guys see ESPN? Jimmy Clausen is paying his NFL money back and taking his last year of eligibility at ND!

I almost looked, well played chiro, well played..

Keep That Fighting Spirit

"Let me see you disrespect me now, when my face is to ya" Lou Holtz

Resident video nerd and DomerDomain MVP since 2011
Old 08-15-2011, 03:54 AM
Administrator
Domer Domain Legend

Quote:

Love your use of the Canadian flag...lol

Old 08-16-2011, 04:12 AM
Domer Domain Walk-On

So I have re-watched last year's Michigan State game and the USC game. Dayne Crist was not as bad as some recall, and Tommy Rees was not as good as some remember. Regardless, a second year in Kelly's system will improve both. I am content with the coach's decision in either case but I do believe it will be Crist.

By the by, we looked damn good for most of the first half of the Michigan State game. Crist was playing pretty well, and it really should have been 21-0 going into the half. A Michael Floyd fumble and a deep interception changed a lot. You could really see a change in team attitudes when a couple of things went wrong. Luckily, the team overcame confidence issues and mental blockage by the end of the season. I think this year's ND team would have stomped Sparty's d*ck across the field last year. I am hoping that will be the case this year in South Bend.
Old 08-16-2011, 05:09 AM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

If i remember in that first half Dayne started nicely going something like 10-16--but in the second quarter he ran into one of those streaks and went 3-11 with a pick in the end zone---i think thats true, anyhow its better to get up on a team and then BURY THEM before they comeback at you---all in all it wasnt bad but it wasn't great---

i think the reason this QB competition is so close is that dayne is somewhat flawed as a QB and tommy is somewhat limited----both guys can win both guys are pretty good at what the other guy isnt'-- circumstances are better then last year no doubt--but neither guy will win the heisman --bank on that!

Both will play--you can bank on that as well---

aloha's
Old 08-16-2011, 07:31 AM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd1989 View Post
There's one more aspect that Kelly is worried about Dayne. that's his ability to escape pressure in the pocket and roll out to find the open receiver. Tommy did this well last year, and Dayne did not. So much so that Kelly mentioned this as something that Dayne needs to work on.
I did not see Rees avoiding the rush and roll out. Dayne did much more of that. Kelly called plays for Rees that were short and quick with no decision making and no scrambling.

Rees' strength is his accuracy. Dayne weakness is his lack of accuracy or mental lapses where starts missing throws.

I am not as convinced as others that Dayne is a lock. I truly believe Rees' accuracy could win him the job.

Tommy's weakness is his arm strength and lack of mobility. I also have not seen him be able to read a defense. In other words, when Kelly says hit Floyd on this pattern, he will do it accurately but if the defense adjusts to cover that route, Tommy doesn't see it. The interceptions against UM, USC, Tulsa, Army, and even the B&G game that Lo Wood nabbed were all due to lack of vision.

Tommy is not going to be the creative type like Drew Brees or Joe Montana or Brett Farve. And he is not going to be the strong armed pocket passer like Marino or Elway. And he is not going to be the running scrambling threat like Steve Young, Tebow, Vick or Newton. I do believe he could become a Shane Matthews, Ty Detmer type with the right people around him.
Old 08-16-2011, 11:15 AM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

I think the benefit both have is not only having a year in the Kelly system, but Kelly having a year at Notre Dame. Kelly has mentioned that every other place he has been, he always had to do something exciting to draw attention to the program. I wonder if there wasn't some of that going on at the start of last year, especially with mistakes like the Tulsa game.

Now, he knows he just needs to win games. He doesn't need to run a crazy, no huddle offense to put butts in the seats. Sure, he will if that is what it takes to win, but he knows he doesn't have to. Now, he can tailor his offense more to his personnel, as we saw work so well last year once Crist got hurt. I think to start the season, we see Crist starting with a somewhat scaled back version of last years offense. Stay aggressive, but a little more running, a little less frenzied pace, score when you can, but lean on your D to carry the day. I think Crist can excel in this type of offense and we saw that Rees was able to at least manage things last year.
Old 08-16-2011, 03:01 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by corysold View Post
I think to start the season, we see Crist starting with a somewhat scaled back version of last years offense. Stay aggressive, but a little more running, a little less frenzied pace, score when you can, but lean on your D to carry the day. I think Crist can excel in this type of offense and we saw that Rees was able to at least manage things last year.
Yea, I think Crist starts but think we could also see Rees in week one.

As has been said before, imagine if Crist had:

1) a simplified offense - putting less pressure on him
(to say nothing of Kelly ramping up the stress by screaming at him on the sideline)
2) a running game and
3) a strong defense.

Last year it was all on Crist and it showed that he felt it.

He has a lot of support this year -
hopefully he's a lot more relaxed and results follow.

That being said, Crist could be nervously looking over his shoulder at Rees and wondering if he's one bad series from being benched. How will he respond to that form of pressure? Is Kelly preparing him for that? Could Rees get the start to pump Crist up? Is Kelly going to use both Crist and Rees to keep them both sharp and hungry?
Old 08-16-2011, 03:06 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Send a message via AIM to IrishCalves

It was pretty interesting listening to II's podcast and hearing Prister talk about how divided the fan base is, to the point that message board junkies like us are to the point of rooting against some guy because of how much they believe in one guy and their according school of thought. I've made no bones about the fact that I like Crist more than Tommy, but whoever wins it is the guy I'll be cheering my *** off for, and I'm not rooting for Rees to slip on a banana peel or anything of the sort in the mean time. End of the day, my opinions are my opinions, and less educated ones than the guys getting paid to do so in a win or go home profession.

Whether is short, safe, ball control offense that wears down opponents in TOP and tires defenses out with longer drives, or airing it out more down field trying to boat race teams with early leads that let us pin our ears back from the 2nd half on, either can be a winning recipe. Its up to the staff to figure out who is more likely to deliver their respective brand of offenses by seeing what players they've become from January to now. As long as both guys can lead (which they can, albeit in different ways), and both guys have proven themselves to the locker (which I think both guys have, on the field by winning games and off the field by putting in the work to get where they are), it'll sort itself out. This is a far cry from the Weis derby featuring 4 green signal callers.

Keep in mind that with all the options we have this year, I don't see whoever the starter is getting enough rope to hang himself with. If Crist comes out and stalls the offense the first 2 games, or if Rees goes out there and turns the ball over 5 times in 2 games, I can't imagine Kelly letting the season slip away with two guys he has confidence in. Again, it'll sort itself out.

We are ND.
Old 08-16-2011, 03:14 PM
Domer Domain Freshman

Mark May continues to have kind words for the Irish. Here he is talking about the QB battle:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...fighting-irish

Video is on the right side.
Old 08-16-2011, 03:39 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlgyork View Post
Mark May continues to have kind words for the Irish. Here he is talking about the QB battle:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...fighting-irish

Video is on the right side.
Can someone please summarize this? I am at work and as much as I would love to pump the volume, I can't

Show me a good and gracious loser, and I'll show you a failure.
Old 08-16-2011, 03:52 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenDome89 View Post
Can someone please summarize this? I am at work and as much as I would love to pump the volume, I can't
Mark May - "Kelly is probably giddy having two guys who have started games before. Doesn't matter who the starter is. Kelly has shown he can have 2-3 QB's ready to play and win. Both have won in hostile environments."

Otherwise, basically the same old stuff.
Old 08-16-2011, 04:28 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Quote:
Mark May - "Kelly is probably giddy having two guys who have started games before. Doesn't matter who the starter is. Kelly has shown he can have 2-3 QB's ready to play and win. Both have won in hostile environments."

Umm the only win that Crist has outside of South Bend that could even remotely be considered "hostile" was at Boston College last season.
"If a believer demands that I, as a nonbeliever, observe his taboos in the public domain, he is not asking for my respect, but for my submission. And that is incompatible with a secular democracy." - Flemming Rose
Old 08-16-2011, 06:22 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worm View Post
I think all this QB Controversy is Coach Speak..Kelly has known for awhile that Crist is going to lead this team this year..From everything i have read Crist has grown leaps and bounds from last year..If Crist plays all 13 games this year he could very easily have 35 TD's..I know he has been injured the last couple of years but i fully expect Crist to play all 13 games..I just think he is the better more talented QB that can make all the throws..
^^^this....+1
Old 08-16-2011, 06:28 PM
Domer Domain Junior

I agree that I expect to see Crist starting. However, I also agree that he is going to have a short leash. At least the first few games.
Old 08-16-2011, 06:57 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo88 View Post
Umm the only win that Crist has outside of South Bend that could even remotely be considered "hostile" was at Boston College last season.
Don't kill the messenger. Although not a "win" Crist did have one of his better games against Mich. St.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:20 PM

Quote:

Is it just me or is it REALLY weird to hear Mark May speak good things about Notre Dame?

definitely welcome, but seriously not what I'm used to
Old 08-16-2011, 08:43 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

It's not just you franco--sometimes i think i'm in the twilight zone!

aloha's
Old 08-16-2011, 09:26 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco View Post
Is it just me or is it REALLY weird to hear Mark May speak good things about Notre Dame?

definitely welcome, but seriously not what I'm used to
^^ I hate listening to that asshat trash Notre Dame (he's basically the anti-Lou)...even he can't deny the strenght of the Irish this year.

Show me a good and gracious loser, and I'll show you a failure.