Notre Dame Football News And Talk  

Come check out the news feed! DD Front Page

Go Back   Notre Dame Football News And Talk > Message Board > General Discussion

Old 11-11-2018, 02:19 PM
Domer Domain All American

Default Weíre Serious Title Contenders

I donít give a rats *** what the media is spewing about the Irish. Iím looking at the potential top 4 and there is no reason we canít beat all of the teams.

If things stay put I love the Clemson matchup, our pass rush is going to confuse the youngster and our line backing core might be the most underrated in college football with Coney. Syracuse threw on them with big receivers downfield, well meet Boykin, Claypool and the Mack.

With Tua Bama could cause issues but heís not healthy and neither is hurts. Now that their not playing FCS teams itís not going to get any better. I watched these guys without Tua yesterday and theyíre identical to LSU sans the qb.

Michigan? Need I say more, Book would tear that secondary to pieces if he were to face them. Their offence like OUís defense is not playoff caliber.

Everyone needs to take ND seriously, we might be the most balanced team right now and we can do it with two qbs.

Iím starting to believe this team can win a title and would love for them to smack Clemson in the mouth and shut the media up.

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 11-11-2018, 05:29 PM

I still think Bama and Clemson would beat us. Both defenses scare me quite a bit. Bama's offense may not be as good as everyone says they are, but I think Clemson's offense would put up a lot of points against us. Who knows, I do not think Notre Dame would get blown out by anyone though.
Old 11-11-2018, 07:32 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Anyone know where the 2vs3 game will take place? I know the playoff games take place in Arlington TX and Miami, but I don't know where 2vs3 takes place or 1vs4.
Old 11-11-2018, 07:33 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Gruene View Post
Anyone know where the 2vs3 game will take place? I know the playoff games take place in Arlington TX and Miami, but I don't know where 2vs3 takes place or 1vs4.
I THINK it depends on who finishes were. Like if Bama finishes 1 they are closer to Dallas so they'd play there. Could be wrong though.
Old 11-11-2018, 08:13 PM
Domer Domain Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dardo View Post
I THINK it depends on who finishes were. Like if Bama finishes 1 they are closer to Dallas so they'd play there. Could be wrong though.
This is correct. The committee will never put the No. 1 seed at a geographic disadvantage. And Bama is just an *** hair closer to Dallas.
Old 11-11-2018, 09:36 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndomer4 View Post
I donít give a rats *** what the media is spewing about the Irish. Iím looking at the potential top 4 and there is no reason we canít beat all of the teams.

If things stay put I love the Clemson matchup, our pass rush is going to confuse the youngster and our line backing core might be the most underrated in college football with Coney. Syracuse threw on them with big receivers downfield, well meet Boykin, Claypool and the Mack.

With Tua Bama could cause issues but heís not healthy and neither is hurts. Now that their not playing FCS teams itís not going to get any better. I watched these guys without Tua yesterday and theyíre identical to LSU sans the qb.

Michigan? Need I say more, Book would tear that secondary to pieces if he were to face them. Their offence like OUís defense is not playoff caliber.

Everyone needs to take ND seriously, we might be the most balanced team right now and we can do it with two qbs.

Iím starting to believe this team can win a title and would love for them to smack Clemson in the mouth and shut the media up.
And i think the coachiung staff feels the same way!
Old 11-11-2018, 09:38 PM
Domer Domain Freshman

Also, we are not title contenders.

Bama gonna beat anyone they play by at least two to three touchdowns, IMO.
Old 11-11-2018, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The eND View Post
Also, we are not title contenders.

Bama gonna beat anyone they play by at least two to three touchdowns, IMO.
I doubt you watched the game vs Miss State when Tua went out, that offence was putrid without him in there.

His knee is an issue and itís not getting better since Bama is actually having to play actual FBS teams. Donít forget Georgia had them beat without Tua and Auburn beat them, they arenít being mentioned as an all time team with anyone but Tua.

We have a punchers chance vs anyone, you keep us in a game like they did with MSU and weíll take it.
Old 11-11-2018, 11:03 PM
Domer Domain Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndomer4 View Post
I doubt you watched the game vs Miss State when Tua went out, that offence was putrid without him in there.

His knee is an issue and itís not getting better since Bama is actually having to play actual FBS teams. Donít forget Georgia had them beat without Tua and Auburn beat them, they arenít being mentioned as an all time team with anyone but Tua.

We have a punchers chance vs anyone, you keep us in a game like they did with MSU and weíll take it.
I did watch it. But saying we are title contenders without saying teamís key players have to be injured for us to have a chance is a bit of a different convo.

But if others have to get injured for us to be title contenders than Iíd say we arenít title contenders.

Bama was never in danger or losing to Mississippi St.
Old 11-11-2018, 11:09 PM

Quote:
I did watch it. But saying we are title contenders without saying teamís key players have to be injured for us to have a chance is a bit of a different convo.

But if others have to get injured for us to be title contenders than Iíd say we arenít title contenders.

Thatís cause Miss State has a terrible offence, and I never said we couldnít beat them with Tua but without him I think any top 4 team can beat them.
Old 11-12-2018, 12:34 AM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:

I think all of the current top 5 teams have complete teams. Good offenses to go along with good defenses.
A lot of the teams Bama has beaten do not have that combination. I agree that Bama is the best team. I also firmly believe that any of the teams currently ranked 2-5 could beat Alabama on a neutral field. Bama might win by 20, sure, but I think these teams are head-and-shoulders above the other teams.
Old 11-12-2018, 02:42 AM
Administrator
Domer Domain Legend

There's the problem though, if Tua has to be less than 100% or even injured and we beat them for the National Championship, you just know that everyone but Irish fans will say our National Championship will have an asterisk to it. They will say, "We ALL know that Alabama was the best team in 2018 but their QB was injured. Notre Dame are not the true Champions!"

"
If we were in the wild, I would attack u. Even if u werenít in my food chain, I would go out of my way to attack u!" ~Manti Teo

Old 11-12-2018, 02:48 AM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Send a message via AIM to toddrhodes Send a message via Yahoo to toddrhodes

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedsterX View Post
There's the problem though, if Tua has to be less than 100% or even injured and we beat them for the National Championship, you just know that everyone but Irish fans will say our National Championship will have an asterisk to it. They will say, "We ALL know that Alabama was the best team in 2018 but their QB was injured. Notre Dame are not the true Champions!"
FSU still claims 1993. A title's a title and at that point, one could easily say a complete team could maintain success even with a key player going out.

That said, I'd LOVE to be pondering those things in a couple months. As it stands, I'm just happy to enjoy 10-0 and look forward to next Saturday

/insert witty comment or quote <here>
Old 11-12-2018, 03:12 AM
Administrator
Domer Domain Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddrhodes View Post
FSU still claims 1993. A title's a title and at that point, one could easily say a complete team could maintain success even with a key player going out.

That said, I'd LOVE to be pondering those things in a couple months. As it stands, I'm just happy to enjoy 10-0 and look forward to next Saturday
You are correct. The big difference is that all the pundits weren't saying, "Notre Dame is the true champion!" Only us Irish fans were saying that. They wanted SO badly to let Bowden go out to pastor with his 1 Natty that always alluded him that they gave it to him. The difference with us beating Alabama this year because their QB is 50% or out is that everyone will be saying Bama is the true champion. I guarantee it. Yes, you are right, hope this is a true issue in the coming months!

"
If we were in the wild, I would attack u. Even if u werenít in my food chain, I would go out of my way to attack u!" ~Manti Teo

Old 11-12-2018, 11:25 AM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Is Tua expected to be out a long time? They can beat the Citadel with me at QB and any QB who commits to Bama should be good enough to beat Auburn. That would give Tua more than 6 weeks to get ready for the playoffs, right?
Old 11-12-2018, 11:36 AM
Domer Domain Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianIrish View Post
Is Tua expected to be out a long time? They can beat the Citadel with me at QB and any QB who commits to Bama should be good enough to beat Auburn. That would give Tua more than 6 weeks to get ready for the playoffs, right?
Saban said he was "OK"
I have not seen comment on him playing but I don't see a reason why he would play at all vs. the Citadel leading into game with Auburn.

Thing is tho defense of theirs isn't going to give up many points
Old 11-12-2018, 11:42 AM
Domer Domain Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedsterX View Post
You are correct. The big difference is that all the pundits weren't saying, "Notre Dame is the true champion!" Only us Irish fans were saying that. They wanted SO badly to let Bowden go out to pastor with his 1 Natty that always alluded him that they gave it to him. The difference with us beating Alabama this year because their QB is 50% or out is that everyone will be saying Bama is the true champion. I guarantee it. Yes, you are right, hope this is a true issue in the coming months!
Honestly, it doesnít matter. At least three of the National Championships Alabama claims arenít theirs either. As a matter of fact, one actually belongs to Notre Dame.
Old 11-12-2018, 12:30 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldy View Post
Honestly, it doesnít matter. At least three of the National Championships Alabama claims arenít theirs either. As a matter of fact, one actually belongs to Notre Dame.
They have a legitimate claim to the 1966 title that we were awarded.

All this said, why the heck are we talking about beating Alabama in the playoffs when we still have two lose-able games left?
Old 11-12-2018, 12:32 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by smaster View Post
They have a legitimate claim to the 1966 title that we were awarded.

All this said, why the heck are we talking about beating Alabama in the playoffs when we still have two lose-able games left?
I don't think they were anywhere near the program they are now in the 60's and 70's. I think we would have beat them on a neutral field, just like we did in 1973 and then beat Bear Bryant home and away every time we played them.
Old 11-12-2018, 01:07 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

I think there is a difference between being a contender and expecting to win the title. Is ND a contender? Of course, they are going to be one of the top 6 teams at year end and potentially in the playoffs.

Do I expect them to win the title, even as a contender? No. It's a tough ask to expect them to beat two teams who are simply better than them in a row.

Now, if Bama gets upset, could ND beat Clemson and whoever beats Bama? Sure.

Could ND beat Clemson and then Bama? Sure, it could happen, but it is far from the expected outcome.
Old 11-13-2018, 11:08 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by corysold View Post
I think there is a difference between being a contender and expecting to win the title. Is ND a contender? Of course, they are going to be one of the top 6 teams at year end and potentially in the playoffs.

Do I expect them to win the title, even as a contender? No. It's a tough ask to expect them to beat two teams who are simply better than them in a row.

Could ND beat Clemson and then Bama? Sure, it could happen, but it is far from the expected outcome.
Hard to argue with this...
Old 11-14-2018, 01:36 AM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Quote:

I respectfully disagree. ND will be either one of the top 4 teams at year end (if they win out) or one of the top 10 teams. Any loss and the committee will drop ND not just out of the playoff top 4, but all the way down to 10 or so. If it's a loss to Syracuse, they'll put Syracuse in front of ND, but Syracuse won't jump up much unless meatchicken loses and LSU gets a 3rd loss. Syracuse wil not even jump a 2 loss Georgia team if Georgia's second loss is to Bama. (By the way, I think Georgia i going to beat Bama.) People may say I'm crazy, but the committee's anti-ND bias is crystal clear.
Old 11-14-2018, 02:31 AM

Quote:

I agree with your assessment, and it’s no different than how I think but I feel like we are not getting the respect we deserve.

We are every bit as balanced as Clemson and Bama on offence, and we can do it with two qbs. Bama has two but neither are or will be fully healthy, and Clemson has a freshman qb bound to show his age. Bama beats us on offensive talent but I have watched plenty of Clemson and we have better skill players, they may score more but that is superior coaching/scheme.

We can get after the qb and we can do it with our first and second string d line. Our linebackers can run sideline to sideline and we don’t give up the big play. This defense keeps everything in front and waits for the offence to make a mistake or forces it.

I just think we are being overlooked considering the circumstances and the possibility of us winning a title is greater than many think.

Last edited by ndomer4; 11-14-2018 at 02:34 AM.