Notre Dame Football News And Talk  

Come check out the news feed! DD Front Page

Go Back   Notre Dame Football News And Talk > Message Board > General Discussion

Old 01-06-2020, 07:25 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by corysold View Post
But on the flip side, wouldn't that make you work even harder for the ones you can go after?

If out of the top 100, ND can only admit 50, they better go balls out after those 50. The rest of the schools have a 100 hundred they have to target, ND only has 50. They should devote even more time to each player by that logic.
This...........

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 01-06-2020, 07:32 PM
Domer Domain All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaithInIrishForever View Post
Thats the life of new ACC deal as long as we play the coastal. To blame on Kelly is pointless. So just so you have what you want its Navy, Virginia, USC, Virginia Tech etc.. all below standard..

I guess its Kelly's problem USC keeps Helton too. The schedule as very little to do with the head coach.
I love you faith but that seems like quite the out for kelly. He had 2 huge games that were bigger then all the games you listed and failed to win either. I get what you're saying if he played more big games every year he'd have more opportunities but that doesnt excuse not cashing in on the big games they have played.
Old 01-06-2020, 08:32 PM

Man, I feel like some of you would b**ch about the taxes after winning the lottery. ND just went 11-2 and you are upset that one of the 11 wasn't Georgia or scUM.

How would you feel if ND beat scUM but lost to Navy or SC? Or beat Georgia but lost to Virginia?

Don't answer, I already know....you'd still be pi$$ed.
Old 01-06-2020, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Gloves View Post
Oh come on! Don’t act like BK hasn’t had his chances to win big games!
How many big games were at home?

1 vs Georgia

help me I've got a bad memory

Keep That Fighting Spirit

"Let me see you disrespect me now, when my face is to ya" Lou Holtz

Resident video nerd and DomerDomain MVP since 2011
Old 01-06-2020, 09:05 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

I think we all understand that the prevailing view was that Urban Meyer did NOT take this job because he felt there wasn't going to be give from the administration on admissions sufficient for him to max out his recruiting potential....

That tells you plenty about recruiting here at ND....we have cache , we have the catholic school connections, we have traditions and many great things to sell ,,,,we get guys to the NFL etc etc....

But as MEYER knew its just NOT going to be the same class he could get here as he could get at ohio state or florida….

Also lets consider our highest ranked class recently I think belonged to Charlie Weis...That class was ranked high but turned out NOt to be real good recruiting....many players didn't pan out,,,position balance would always be difficult for weis to achieve,,,Charlie just looked at the recruiting rankings and tried to get the highest guys that had some ND interest......a blanket shot approach....that really did not work that well

Kellys roster now has very good balance off/def etc....we have really good team speed, yes I AGREE we could really use an extra 5 star every season but still....

I think the criticism of Kelly in this regard is over the top...

I mean somebody writes an article with a couple of less then flattering quotes from really one player ,,,,,and that gives permission for sweeping negative conclusions about kellys approach to recruiting...I just think it all a bit much.

aloha
Old 01-06-2020, 10:34 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiirish View Post
I think we all understand that the prevailing view was that Urban Meyer did NOT take this job because he felt there wasn't going to be give from the administration on admissions sufficient for him to max out his recruiting potential....

That tells you plenty about recruiting here at ND....we have cache , we have the catholic school connections, we have traditions and many great things to sell ,,,,we get guys to the NFL etc etc....

But as MEYER knew its just NOT going to be the same class he could get here as he could get at ohio state or florida….

Also lets consider our highest ranked class recently I think belonged to Charlie Weis...That class was ranked high but turned out NOt to be real good recruiting....many players didn't pan out,,,position balance would always be difficult for weis to achieve,,,Charlie just looked at the recruiting rankings and tried to get the highest guys that had some ND interest......a blanket shot approach....that really did not work that well

Kellys roster now has very good balance off/def etc....we have really good team speed, yes I AGREE we could really use an extra 5 star every season but still....

I mean somebody writes an article with a couple of less then flattering quotes from really one player ,,,,,and that gives permission for sweeping negative conclusions about kellys approach to recruiting...I just think it all a bit much.

aloha
While Meyer probably would not have the same classes he had at Florida or Ohio St, would he have recruited better at ND than Brian Kelly has?

If the answer is yes, then there is reason not to be satisfied by Kelly's performance.

My objection is with people (Kelly included) who seem to believe that a Top 10 to Top 20 class is the ceiling at ND.

I truly believe that Top 5 to Top 10 classes are possible at ND. It just requires a coach with the right combination of "hunger", charisma and hard work to achieve. I do not believe that Kelly has what it takes to do better than his Top 15ish results. Perhaps Kelly 3.0 will surprise us.
Old 01-06-2020, 11:13 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaithInIrishForever View Post
How many big games were at home?

1 vs Georgia

help me I've got a bad memory
This is the excuse your going with? Come on.
Old 01-07-2020, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali_domer View Post
This is the excuse your going with? Come on.
just an opposing viewpoint

Keep That Fighting Spirit

"Let me see you disrespect me now, when my face is to ya" Lou Holtz

Resident video nerd and DomerDomain MVP since 2011
Old 01-07-2020, 06:20 AM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by corysold View Post
But on the flip side, wouldn't that make you work even harder for the ones you can go after?

If out of the top 100, ND can only admit 50, they better go balls out after those 50. The rest of the schools have a 100 hundred they have to target, ND only has 50. They should devote even more time to each player by that logic.
This is spot on and exactly my point. If your pool is smaller you should make sure you are doing everything humanly possible to land the recruits you can go after! He has to work even harder than some of the other coaches and he hasn’t done that and he is just now realizing that after 10 years???
Old 01-07-2020, 06:23 AM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiirish View Post

aloha
It is BK’s exact words, not someone’s opinion. He is just now believing ND can be a top 5 recruiting program after 10 years.

I want someone who believes that from the get go and instills that with his assistants to go and get it done. And if it is harder to recruit at ND because of some of the institutional challenges, then frickin work harder than everyone else!!!

Don’t settle and don’t be complacent!
Old 01-07-2020, 03:14 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown_9999 View Post
While Meyer probably would not have the same classes he had at Florida or Ohio St, would he have recruited better at ND than Brian Kelly has?

If the answer is yes, then there is reason not to be satisfied by Kelly's performance.

My objection is with people (Kelly included) who seem to believe that a Top 10 to Top 20 class is the ceiling at ND.
The answer is definitely Yes. However, Meyer was also one of the best recruiters the game has ever seen. It's a tough-*** job, and you better be prepared to be tireless and relentless in your pursuit of the guys you want, and a lot of coaches who think they're doing all they can, could still be doing more.

There are coaches who are happy with the guys they are able to land, then there are coaches who are happy about the same thing, but also lose sleep over the ones who got away....the same ones who are told by a kid that he's going somewhere else to play but won't take no for an answer...the same ones who, even though they have a verbal, continue to "recruit" a kid pretty hard right up till he's actually on campus. Meyer was one of those.
Old 01-07-2020, 03:33 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Not to extend this thread any further but I thought the actual interview should be included. Sorry if it was already posted.
https://irishsportsdaily.com/s/11388...ove-recruiting