Notre Dame Football News And Talk  

Come check out the news feed! DD Front Page

Go Back   Notre Dame Football News And Talk > Message Board > General Discussion

Old 11-13-2012, 11:14 PM
Domer Domain All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by davislove View Post

My take is CW is just acknowledging his final home game without jumping the gun and making assumptions about his returning. He'll have his day with his classmates saturday and deal with the future later. Nobody comes out and says they're returning for a 5th year before knowing for certain.
On the flip side, I also don't think you go public and say this is your last game when there is a possibility of returning for a 5th year, unless you really know it's your last game.

M.S.B.C

KCCO

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 11-13-2012, 11:17 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by davislove View Post
I think we may be dancing or crying, however you lean too soon.

My take is CW is just acknowledging his final home game without jumping the gun and making assumptions about his returning. He'll have his day with his classmates saturday and deal with the future later. Nobody comes out and says they're returning for a 5th year before knowing for certain.

His lack of PT may not do completely with being in kelly's doghouse. Alford has a special bond with theo so as the RB coach he may be pushing a little more for theo.
Right, I think every senior will be recognized, whether they are coming back for a 5th year or not.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:56 PM
Banned
Domer Domain Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by corysold View Post
Right, I think every senior will be recognized, whether they are coming back for a 5th year or not.
Yup. Golic was recognized last season. And he came back.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:27 AM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by notredameroom View Post
because you know him personally, I guess we will take your word for it.
what does this even mean? literally, please provide a psycho-analysis on exactly the meaning here.
Huh??????????
Old 11-14-2012, 01:34 AM
Banned
Domer Domain Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketsan View Post
Huh??????????
pretty simple. tell us all the things Cierre lacks as a person. Can't wait to hear this, you know, since you and him are the two best friends that anyone can have.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:57 AM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Quote:
pretty simple. tell us all the things Cierre lacks as a person. Can't wait to hear this, you know, since you and him are the two best friends that anyone can have.
I'm sorry but I don't know him and we're not best friends.

As I stated before, I think he lacks contrition and humility for someone who let his teammates down at the start of the season. I make this assumption and it's my opinion (which I'm entitled to have) based on his attitude in interviews, on ICON and ND Sports videos, his demeanor and tweets following his suspension...

Clearly I'm not the only one who feels this way.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:13 AM
Domer Domain Walk-On

It's not always about football. He has a daughter to support...
Old 11-14-2012, 08:19 AM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Not liking the hating on Cierre Wood for puffing on something that is now legal at the state level in what three states? Funny how smoking a little pot and getting caught makes him a bad person with bad work ethic. Sounds like a 1930's propaganda video in this thread.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:40 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Send a message via AIM to IrishCalves

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObieKnobbe View Post
Not liking the hating on Cierre Wood for puffing on something that is now legal at the state level in what three states? Funny how smoking a little pot and getting caught makes him a bad person with bad work ethic. Sounds like a 1930's propaganda video in this thread.
There's more to it than that.

From where I stand, it isn't that it's legal in 3 states now or some political agenda at stake; it's against team rules.

It isn't that he's got a quirky personality that Tim Priester referred to as "Planet Cierre"; it's that he's losing carries to a guy who was our slot receiver not that long ago, and continues to see his carries shrink despite visible talent.

Don't get me wrong - mistakes happen. Still, after ALL the emphasis on turnovers this year, and despite the enormity of the moment vs. Pitt, he still found a way to lose focus on ball security, and could (arguably, should) have cost us a shot at a national title.

I don't think he's a bad guy. I don't need him to be a straight laced, crew cut sporting choir boy for me to like him. It's clear that his personality endears him to his teammates, which I do think has been very valuable for this team. And for the majority of the season, I had been calling for him to get more carries (up until the Pitt game), because his talent is evident.

I just think that the body of work points to a lack of focus on the football field that could have cost us games, both in putting himself in a position to get suspended for WHATEVER the infraction was, and in turn fumbling at a CRITICAL point in the season - which is troubling after 4 years on the team. THOSE are the reasons he's been relegated to the #2 back in this offense. Push comes to shove, I'll let some of the young talent get their chance at making their mark, and embrace the fact that he even stuck around to get his degree from Notre Dame.

We are ND.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:05 PM
Banned
Domer Domain Freshman

Quote:

As I stated before, I think he lacks contrition and humility for someone who let his teammates down at the start of the season. I make this assumption and it's my opinion (which I'm entitled to have) based on his attitude in interviews, on ICON and ND Sports videos, his demeanor and tweets following his suspension...

Yup, a total assumption about a kid you don't even know. If you met Cierre in person would you tell him all of this to his face?
Old 11-14-2012, 01:22 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Send a message via AIM to IrishCalves

Quote:
Yup, a total assumption about a kid you don't even know. If you met Cierre in person would you tell him all of this to his face?
No. But truth be told, most of us wouldn't say 90% of the stuff we say on a message board to anyone's face. I'd shake his hand and compliment him for his philanthropic efforts and his academic accolades, but there's NO WAY I'd speak my feelings on Mike Golic Jr. the football player.

The difference is, we're dumb enough to put this crap out on the internet, and assume they aren't going to read this stuff and track us down. We act as though this place is an anonymous, private conversation, when it really isn't. But then again, if we didn't speak our minds in a forthright manner, would this place really be worth visiting?

Honesty of opinion and speculation based on limited data are necessary oversights for a place like this to be successful and productive. Otherwise, we'd might as well not say anything for fear of being wrong, or emotionally invested to the point that we're biased. Which is GOING to happen, because WE'RE FANS!

We are ND.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:52 PM
Banned
Domer Domain Freshman

Stop being fans and start supporting your team no matter what. Stop questioning coaches who know better than you. Or players who are better than you.
And what are your thoughts about Golic the football player?
That you could do better than him or teach him how to be better? And can someone look up the last time Cierre either fumbled or lost a fumble before Pitt game?
Stop hiding behind your monitor and playing judge and jury against kids who work amazingly hard in school and on the field.
It's even worse you say you are fans, knock the players you are fans of, but then would be all star struck when meeting said 21-year-old kid.
Be a fan of the school, the program, the tradition. But support the players.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:17 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Quote:
Stop being fans and start supporting your team no matter what. Stop questioning coaches who know better than you. Or players who are better than you.
LOL, whatever dude. Are Michael Wilbon and Tony Kornheiser better than the players or coaches? Nope. Hell, they've made a living talking sports...

Stop participating in an open forum if you are so displeased. That, or maybe because you're new here and you don't know it exists, feel free to look into your ability to ignore posts from board members who clearly upset you. You're wound a little too tight about this, let it go...

I'd also have no issue telling Cierre Wood how I feel about his attitude. What do you think he's going to do? Fight me? Because I think he "lacks contrition"? How stupid. Grow up.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:35 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Send a message via AIM to IrishFan33

Thank God for Theo Riddick, he has been a beast and we would not be 10-0 w/o him but C.W. is the best RB on this roster....

Look what he does with min. carries. Sometimes Kelly is stubborn and it hasn't cost us yet.
I would have given him alot more carries, this kid is a stud.
Old 11-14-2012, 04:21 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Quote:
And what are your thoughts about Golic the football player?
That you could do better than him or teach him how to be better? And can someone look up the last time Cierre either fumbled or lost a fumble before Pitt game?
Stop hiding behind your monitor and playing judge and jury against kids who work amazingly hard in school and on the field.
It's even worse you say you are fans, knock the players you are fans of, but then would be all star struck when meeting said 21-year-old kid.
Be a fan of the school, the program, the tradition. But support the players.
How's the view from up there? It must be real nice, because no amount of reasoning from anyone has convinced you to come down from on high. Could you please take a picture and post it on here, so we all know what it looks like?
Old 11-14-2012, 04:23 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishFan33 View Post
Thank God for Theo Riddick, he has been a beast and we would not be 10-0 w/o him but C.W. is the best RB on this roster....

Look what he does with min. carries. Sometimes Kelly is stubborn and it hasn't cost us yet.
I would have given him alot more carries, this kid is a stud.
Nobody doubts his abilities, 33.
Old 11-14-2012, 04:30 PM
Domer Domain All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishCalves View Post
No. But truth be told, most of us wouldn't say 90% of the stuff we say on a message board to anyone's face. I'd shake his hand and compliment him for his philanthropic efforts and his academic accolades, but there's NO WAY I'd speak my feelings on Mike Golic Jr. the football player.

The difference is, we're dumb enough to put this crap out on the internet, and assume they aren't going to read this stuff and track us down. We act as though this place is an anonymous, private conversation, when it really isn't. But then again, if we didn't speak our minds in a forthright manner, would this place really be worth visiting?

Honesty of opinion and speculation based on limited data are necessary oversights for a place like this to be successful and productive. Otherwise, we'd might as well not say anything for fear of being wrong, or emotionally invested to the point that we're biased. Which is GOING to happen, because WE'RE FANS!
I'd ask Mike Golic Jr if he would sign this picture:
Old 11-14-2012, 05:01 PM
Banned
Domer Domain Freshman

Quote:
LOL, whatever dude. Are Michael Wilbon and Tony Kornheiser better than the players or coaches? Nope. Hell, they've made a living talking sports...

Stop participating in an open forum if you are so displeased. That, or maybe because you're new here and you don't know it exists, feel free to look into your ability to ignore posts from board members who clearly upset you. You're wound a little too tight about this, let it go...

I'd also have no issue telling Cierre Wood how I feel about his attitude. What do you think he's going to do? Fight me? Because I think he "lacks contrition"? How stupid. Grow up.
1. Don't compare yourself to Wilbon Or Kornheiser. They also don't declare themselves fans and participate on message boards. And you'd be hard press to find a media member questioning a player as person. They also GET PAID to talk about sports.

2. Not an ivory tower that I'm on. It isn't hard to support your team and not make broad assumptions about kids you don't know.

3. Rocket, don't have to let it go. As you say, this is an open board. So you can post what you want, but doesn't mean I can't have an opinion about it. You don't upset me. I'm not mad. Just don't spend yourself tearing down kids on an assumption of who they think they are. Actually, don't spend your time doing that to anyone.

4. I'm trying to steer people into supporting the team instead of finding reasons to tear it down. These are kids who work from sun up to sun down each day. Class, football and probably more pressure to deal with than we had at that age. Did you have an entire nation of "fans" badmouthing you when you were a 19 or 20 or 21? Cut 'em some slack.

5. And I'm guessing you wouldn't say that to him. Really, guarantee you wouldn't say it. Feels silly of you to create artwork of Cierre if you think so little of him, huh?

6. No need to tell me to grow up. I'm grown, and able and allowed to post my own opinion.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:04 PM
Banned
Domer Domain Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShamrockShapedTurds View Post
How's the view from up there? It must be real nice, because no amount of reasoning from anyone has convinced you to come down from on high. Could you please take a picture and post it on here, so we all know what it looks like?
I'm confused here. What reasoning was used? My only sentiment expressed was to support the players and the team. Don't have to live up in a tower to do that. We don't know better than the coaches. We can't run faster, throw harder, tackle better than anyone out there.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:09 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Wow, this thread is really up and down. Bottom line... I really hope Cierre comes back. I think he's a jokster who keeps things fun on the team. He's also a great talent that will make the team better.
AND....He can drastically improve his stock. Come back next year and show you can be that complete back. He can work on his hands and catching ability coming out of the backfield. He can work on his pass blocking. He can have a year with no off field distractions. He can come back and PROVE he is the number one back....
Old 11-14-2012, 06:01 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:

I also feel this way and I am not sure why he is picking a fight with you personally.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:04 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Quote:
4. I'm trying to steer people into supporting the team instead of finding reasons to tear it down. These are kids who work from sun up to sun down each day. Class, football and probably more pressure to deal with than we had at that age. Did you have an entire nation of "fans" badmouthing you when you were a 19 or 20 or 21? Cut 'em some slack.

5. And I'm guessing you wouldn't say that to him. Really, guarantee you wouldn't say it. Feels silly of you to create artwork of Cierre if you think so little of him, huh?
No one asked you to come here and be the positive police. It's not your job. Again, it's okay to be critical and supportive at the same time. Just because I've been critical of certain aspects of the team in the last few weeks does not make me a terrible person - heck, I've even sprinkled in some very good things but people choose to ignore that when they have homer blinders on. It's week eleven. I'd expect some of the mistakes I'm seeing to be corrected by now. For you to be so snarky in your challenges to people because they don't fit YOUR personal mandate makes you look like a tool.

If you knew me, which you don't, you'd know I ALWAYS speak my mind. Besides, I'm 6'2" 300 pounds, I'm not worried about physical repercussions or hurting someone's feelings.

"Think so little" - I don't think so little of him...nor have I ever stated I think little of him. I said he's shown less contrition and humility than Michael Floyd did. Plain and simple. Please stop putting words in my mouth.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:05 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

If you need an example of how Cierre is viewed on the team, look at the end of the Pitt game. After his fumble, he was clearly distraught.

Once the kicker missed, a bunch of teammates were around him immediately, getting him back in the game, making sure he knew they needed him.

He seems well liked by the guys who matter most.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:05 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieAngel View Post
I also feel this way and I am not sure why he is picking a fight with you personally.
Clearly I've done something to upset him...he's been up my a$$ since Speedster's art thread...
Old 11-14-2012, 06:06 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Clearly I've done something to upset him...he's been up my a$$ since Speedster's art thread...
Not good.