Notre Dame Football News And Talk  

Come check out the news feed! DD Front Page

Go Back   Notre Dame Football News And Talk > Message Board > General Discussion

Old 09-15-2019, 12:35 AM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Default Confidence Builder we needed badly!

The team started out similar to Louisville...could not sustain drive, could not run on short yardage, passing game out of sync.

Even ahead 14-0 we looked kinda sketchy as an offense.

But by the end we had accomplished several things....

The receiver core is starting to play together...Ian is starting to feel MUCH more comfortable throwing...TE looks like a plus with Kmet back and all of us liking the Tremble....

A few big plays punch up the entire unit.....the little shuttle sweep was nifty...Lenzy got his chance....overall the passing game took a BIG STRIDE forward.

Defense looks like the stronger unit so far....lots of athleticism across the DLINE...surprising LB play EXCELLENT safety play across the board.....

NEW MEXICO was a terrible team....we needed to score near 70 and play everyone and we did....

BOOK seemed to be coming out of his early funk by the 2nd quarter and will need that BOOST of confidence..

OLINE can't get much of a push or ANY push that's very concerning and could STIFLE US NEXT WEEK.....

Receiving core stepping up....We need that for the rest of the season since we simply WILL NOT be a great running team.....but we could STILL be a great passing team , potential is there.

Overall it was encouraging....I feel good about the defense and MUCH BETTER about Ian...

Can we beat Georgia??

Very VERY doubtful....that stat about not beating a top 5 team in 14 years was a NASTY STAT....a case of the truth hurts I guess....

Nonetheless I feel we will make a better showing next week....and who knows ..its football and we have plenty of talent....not as good a team as Georgia ,,,, but good enough to try and make a strong run at them.

aloha's

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 09-15-2019, 12:41 AM
Domer Domain Junior

I don't think there's any QB controversy, but Phil has more upside then Ian. Let's hope he sticks around.
Old 09-15-2019, 12:44 AM
Domer Domain All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiirish View Post
The team started out similar to Louisville...could not sustain drive, could not run on short yardage, passing game out of sync.

The receiver core is starting to play together...Ian is starting to feel MUCH more comfortable throwing...TE looks like a plus with Kmet back and all of us liking the Tremble....

A few big plays punch up the entire unit.....the little shuttle sweep was nifty...Lenzy got his chance....overall the passing game took a BIG STRIDE forward.

Defense looks like the stronger unit so far....lots of athleticism across the DLINE...surprising LB play EXCELLENT safety play across the board.....

NEW MEXICO was a terrible team....we needed to score near 70 and play everyone and we did....

BOOK seemed to be coming out of his early funk by the 2nd quarter and will need that BOOST of confidence..

OLINE can't get much of a push or ANY push that's very concerning and could STIFLE US NEXT WEEK.....

Receiving core stepping up....We need that for the rest of the season since we simply WILL NOT be a great running team.....but we could STILL be a great passing team , potential is there.

Overall it was encouraging....I feel good about the defense and MUCH BETTER about Ian...

Can we beat Georgia??

Very VERY doubtful....that stat about not beating a top 5 team in 14 years was a NASTY STAT....a case of the truth hurts I guess....

Nonetheless I feel we will make a better showing next week....and who knows ..its football and we have plenty of talent....not as good a team as Georgia ,,,, but good enough to try and make a strong run at them.

aloha's
Yeah once Ian made that roll out deep comeback pass to Claypool, it seemed like his feet were under him. Then he threw the deep post to Claypool. ND averages more tackles for loss in this version of the defense as they chase everything to the sideline instead of funneling the ball to the middle. We're using alot more safieties just veing a hard defense to read.

That said we've gotta pick up 3rd and Short. It didn't help that Jahmir Smith was out today who had been doing that..

Good Day Overall.. Go Irish!

Keep That Fighting Spirit

"Let me see you disrespect me now, when my face is to ya" Lou Holtz

Resident video nerd and DomerDomain MVP since 2011
Old 09-15-2019, 01:05 AM
Domer Domain All American

Tough to tell...NM was awful. Between the INTs and big plays on offense, tough to tell if we really made any strides from last week. I still predict UGA handles us... Not a huge blowout but they control the game and steadily put it to us while we canít keep up on offense.
Old 09-15-2019, 01:21 AM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiirish View Post

Can we beat Georgia??

aloha's

Book is still very average. Wasnt impressed with him too much today, didnt see him do anything Phil didnt show he could do on his one series he played. Phil sat in the pocket, no happy feet, delivered a beautiful downfield pass . Once again early in the game book looked nervous about a new Mexico defense! Lol. Did he settle in? Yes. But there is a good chance Georgia will have a lead if he keeps this crap up. Would like to see more of Phil to see if he can be consistent. He is the future. We might see a lot of Phil next week if book has happy feet because he will get destroyed doing his dance show.
Old 09-15-2019, 01:37 AM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObieKnobbe View Post
Book is still very average. Wasnt impressed with him too much today, didnt see him do anything Phil didnt show he could do on his one series he played. Phil sat in the pocket, no happy feet, delivered a beautiful downfield pass . Once again early in the game book looked nervous about a new Mexico defense! Lol. Did he settle in? Yes. But there is a good chance Georgia will have a lead if he keeps this crap up. Would like to see more of Phil to see if he can be consistent. He is the future. We might see a lot of Phil next week if book has happy feet because he will get destroyed doing his dance show.

And to clarify dont think book should lose his starting job, just would like to see more of what Phil can do.
Old 09-15-2019, 02:22 AM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankus View Post
I don't think there's any QB controversy, but Phil has more upside then Ian. Let's hope he sticks around.
Why wouldn't he?
Old 09-15-2019, 03:13 AM
Domer Domain Sophomore

This game showed me nothing. We are still soft on offense and I am totally unimpressed with our O line and our running game. We are going to be in big trouble next week.
Old 09-15-2019, 01:49 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Irish View Post
Why wouldn't he?
He may not want to sit for two more years. We'll see.
Old 09-15-2019, 01:54 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Of course, I actually think the freshman moves better than Phil. Iím also basing this off his high school tape but I think heís got the best arm of the bunch.

Then the guy we have committed is a stud as well, QB is in a good place for a few years. However I expect a transfer or two.
Old 09-15-2019, 01:58 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndomer4 View Post
Of course, I actually think the freshman moves better than Phil. Iím also basing this off his high school tape but I think heís got the best arm of the bunch.

Then the guy we have committed is a stud as well, QB is in a good place for a few years. However I expect a transfer or two.
I thought the Freshman's arm looked average. He threw a ball to the wide side that was Bookish. Phil on the other hand:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1172983763581771777
Old 09-15-2019, 02:29 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
I thought the Freshman's arm looked average. He threw a ball to the wide side that was Bookish. Phil on the other hand:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1172983763581771777
Your basing that off one pass he threw, thatís why I refer to his high school tape.

Either way if Book keeps running like he does one of these kids is going to see more action sooner rather than later.
Old 09-15-2019, 03:06 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Very good win for us overall. Regardless of NM's struggles, it was nice to see us put them away and see so many younger kids come in and have their big moments at their current positions.
Old 09-15-2019, 05:05 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndomer4 View Post

They do say he has a cannon arm. But moves better? Yikes. Didn't see that at all
Old 09-15-2019, 05:21 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by golson5 View Post
They do say he has a cannon arm. But moves better? Yikes. Didn't see that at all
I was referring to how he moves within the pocket.
Old 09-18-2019, 01:52 PM
Domer Domain Junior

I thought the offense looked better under the freshman, Brendon Clark, than under Phil Jurkovec....

BUT

It was SUCH a small sample size that it's impossible to draw any conclusions and my opinions could be biased because I expected a lot from Jurkovec and nothing Clark.
Old 09-18-2019, 03:26 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

I loved Phil as a recruit. But Iím missing the fascination with him starting over Book. His one drive he threw a bomb which is what the play-call was. Come in and throw it deep. A 50-50 chance at a big completion against a terrible team. No reads, no thought put into it. After that play, Phil seem to digress in my eyes again of finding the right receiver and keeping the offense moving. If I remember correctly, the drive stalled and ND got 3 points. But Book clearly has that command that the offense needs. Philís just not there. Just my opinion from a guy who thought Phil was the best thing since slice cheese.
Old 09-19-2019, 02:34 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltssb View Post
I loved Phil as a recruit. But Iím missing the fascination with him starting over Book. His one drive he threw a bomb which is what the play-call was. Come in and throw it deep. A 50-50 chance at a big completion against a terrible team. No reads, no thought put into it. After that play, Phil seem to digress in my eyes again of finding the right receiver and keeping the offense moving. If I remember correctly, the drive stalled and ND got 3 points. But Book clearly has that command that the offense needs. Philís just not there. Just my opinion from a guy who thought Phil was the best thing since slice cheese.
I think you underestimate how difficult it is to throw a perfect strike like that coming cold off the bench. That being said, Book has a good history of dink and dunking. So, he's the safe choice to win a lot of games this year, but not Georgia. If Phil's not ready to replace Book next year, and make no mistake we need a QB that can throw a great long ball as well as accurate short passes, it will be more of the same. We're not going anywhere big time with Book. He cannot stress a defense deep.