Notre Dame Football News And Talk  

Come check out the news feed! DD Front Page

Go Back   Notre Dame Football News And Talk > Message Board > General Discussion

Old 09-15-2019, 03:56 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Default McKinley a key for offense

He looked like the top 100 player he came to ND as. With Claypool on the opposite side and him emerging as a legit deep threat I think he could be a huge key for us going forward. I honestly donít think we will have a consistent running game this year, so we will depend on the passing game, and big plays.

-be creative
- efficient running game
-pass blocking
- big plays
This is how we beat Georgia. Canít just line up and run the same plays we have used for 10 years against Smart. Need big plays to McKinley and Claypool like Clemson did to us and Bama last year.

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 09-15-2019, 04:47 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

After that game I wonder why he hasnít seen the field in the last three years.

He may be our best receiver.
Old 09-15-2019, 04:57 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndomer4 View Post

That's what happens everywhere when you break a leg and at ND when you break the law. He had a medical redshirt, suspended for his off field antics, and was in Kelly's doghouse, a football purgatory. Maybe Saturday was him getting out of the doghouse so we can put him and Claypool outside and Finke back in the slot.
Old 09-15-2019, 05:06 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndomer4 View Post

Not close to Claypool. He doesn't have the speed strength or athleticism. Claypool is a freak
Old 09-15-2019, 05:26 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by golson5 View Post
Not close to Claypool. He doesn't have the speed strength or athleticism. Claypool is a freak
Yeah heís nowhere near the athlete Claypool is. Not many are.

As a receiver though? Well we havenít seen enough. I think NFL scouts will have questions on Claypools hands and route running. Weíve only seen McKinley targeted 3 times and he has 3 catches and 2 touchdowns. His 2 touchdowns showed ability we havenít seen out of our receivers.
Old 09-15-2019, 09:58 PM
Domer Domain All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by vangordersmustache View Post
He looked like the top 100 player he came to ND as. With Claypool on the opposite side and him emerging as a legit deep threat I think he could be a huge key for us going forward. I honestly donít think we will have a consistent running game this year, so we will depend on the passing game, and big plays.

-be creative
- efficient running game
-pass blocking
- big plays
This is how we beat Georgia. Canít just line up and run the same plays we have used for 10 years against Smart. Need big plays to McKinley and Claypool like Clemson did to us and Bama last year.
I think McKinley fits the outside receiver mold better than Finke. Listed at 6'2 220. So you have your 2 outside WR's. Than my gadget guy would Lawrence Keys. Coach Meyer says there are guys that just need the ball 10 times a game and I think Keys is one of those for us.

The appropriate role for Chris Finke is on 3rd and 3 to 3rd and 5. He's a slot(inside) possesion receiver that moves chains like Robby Toma was.

He can also be the gadget guy, By gadgets I mean those "pop pass" reverses etc.

Avery Davis is another gadget candidate because he can throw the ball too. A double reverse pass should go in the playbook soon.

Back to your point agreed I'd start Mckinley at X(field WR). Claypool at W(Boundary receiver- showcase position) and I'd rotate Keys, Finke and Davis inside) Then of course you have Kmet-Tremble or Wright.

Keep That Fighting Spirit

"Let me see you disrespect me now, when my face is to ya" Lou Holtz

Resident video nerd and DomerDomain MVP since 2011
Old 09-15-2019, 10:10 PM

Our guys generally dont seem to be getting separation or book isnt finding the open guy... not a good combo.
Old 09-15-2019, 10:20 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

As Kelly said, heís a weight room warrior and one of our better blockers out wide. This couldnít have happened any sooner because Finke desperately needed to go back to the slot. This offense can now hum with a starting rotation of
Claypool and McKinley our wide
Finke in the slot
Kmet back at tightend. By the way he is a monster. Will be good to see him back.
I also think Jones and Smith were held out so they could go full go against Georgia. I like Smithís running ability. I sure wish Armstrong was ready at least to run the wheel routes.
I still donít trust our O-line but this must be a game where Book has to tell himself that he will be hit at times.
Old 09-15-2019, 10:30 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Finke being just a slot guy is huge. We need him as someone said to be the short yardage chain mover, and also 1st down switch it up guy. I like Keys as the seam route take the top off guy, and Tremble out of the slot as well. We really have a lot of weapons of McKinley truly did turn the corner and become our #2. We need that so defenses donít just rotate safeties towards Claypool all the time.
Old 09-15-2019, 10:42 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Finke being just a slot guy is huge. We need him as someone said to be the short yardage chain mover, and also 1st down switch it up guy. I like Keys as the seam route take the top off guy, and Tremble out of the slot as well. We really have a lot of weapons of McKinley truly did turn the corner and become our #2. We need that so defenses donít just rotate safeties towards Claypool all the time.
Which is what teams have done because you know you didnít need to worry about Finke our wide. It just put ND at a disadvantage with the lineup they had out there. Now when Book is in trouble he can look at KMet, Tremble, and Finke as safety blankets.
Old 09-15-2019, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Finke being just a slot guy is huge. We need him as someone said to be the short yardage chain mover, and also 1st down switch it up guy. I like Keys as the seam route take the top off guy, and Tremble out of the slot as well. We really have a lot of weapons of McKinley truly did turn the corner and become our #2. We need that so defenses don’t just rotate safeties towards Claypool all the time.
Agreed on the amount of weapons. Generally the role of the players in the middle is to draw the attenton of the safety so that the outsides are 1 on 1 opportunities.

So whether its running game, slot or TE if they truly occupy their defender than the opportunities are there for everyone else to be defended fairly(with one defender).

Last year people were wondering why Boykin wasn't open more with 4.4. speed. The answer was he rarely had one defender because teams said go ahead he throw it in front of us 10 times to score Ian Book. They saw Boykin beat the LSU DB 1 on 1 and were like that's not happening.

With Clemson if you double 2one Ross they'll hit Higgins or run it with Entienne.

Its just so key that we have a number of weapons so if they take one out schematically we have answers, and I'm happy to say ND is getting there.

Keep That Fighting Spirit

"Let me see you disrespect me now, when my face is to ya" Lou Holtz

Resident video nerd and DomerDomain MVP since 2011