Notre Dame Football News And Talk  

Come check out the news feed! DD Front Page

Go Back   Notre Dame Football News And Talk > Message Board > General Discussion

Old 09-14-2019, 04:42 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Default Georgia Game

Still waiting but it looks like Georgia's most experienced receiver(if you can say that) will be out. It look like Simmonds was holding his arm and went under the tent. He hasn't returned yet. He jammed it right into the turf while being tackled.

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 09-14-2019, 05:55 PM
Domer Domain All American

Georgia is going to beat us solidly... it doesnít matter.
Old 09-14-2019, 06:18 PM
Domer Domain Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishwavend View Post
Stranger things have happened.
Old 09-14-2019, 06:46 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishwavend View Post
You know this by Georgia's three FCS opponents they played and ND playing Louisville?
Can you tell me the powerball numbers?
Old 09-14-2019, 08:03 PM
Domer Domain All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltssb View Post
you know this by georgia's three fcs opponents they played and nd playing louisville?
16 48 69 19 72 7
Old 09-15-2019, 08:01 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
You know this by Georgia's three FCS opponents they played and ND playing Louisville?
I really donít think that matters. Georgia is really good. Just look at the talent and the athleticism. IMO they are one of the top 3-4 best teams in the country. We havenít beaten a top 5 team in forever let alone beat them on the road. We havenít had a game against a legit top 5-6 team where we were huge underdogs and have even played well let alone won.

I think it will be a bloodbath and then we Weill hear all of the overrated and we donít belong talk all over again. We get no respect and it will only heighten if we get trounced again. For once I would love for us to be the team that upsets against all odds. The closest thing we have had to that in the BK era was Oklahoma in 2012, but that wasnít even close to the level of this Georgia team or atmosphere that will be in Athens on Saturday night. If our guys thought Miami was bad 2 years ago then they are going to **** their pants in that SEC environment come Saturday night.

I see no hope for us in this game. Hope Iím wrong tho.
Old 09-15-2019, 08:44 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Gloves View Post
I really donít think that matters. Georgia is really good. Just look at the talent and the athleticism. IMO they are one of the top 3-4 best teams in the country. We havenít beaten a top 5 team in forever let alone beat them on the road. We havenít had a game against a legit top 5-6 team where we were huge underdogs and have even played well let alone won.

I think it will be a bloodbath and then we Weill hear all of the overrated and we donít belong talk all over again. We get no respect and it will only heighten if we get trounced again. For once I would love for us to be the team that upsets against all odds. The closest thing we have had to that in the BK era was Oklahoma in 2012, but that wasnít even close to the level of this Georgia team or atmosphere that will be in Athens on Saturday night. If our guys thought Miami was bad 2 years ago then they are going to **** their pants in that SEC environment come Saturday night.

Well said. I think we lose by 10 with a garbage time TD.
Old 09-15-2019, 10:04 PM
Domer Domain Junior

I donít see ND keeping this close. I think UGA wins by 17-21 points. I donít see that so much as an indictment on ND, UGA is just that good.
Old 09-15-2019, 10:14 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

At some point we are going to have to turn the corner. Clemson was known as Clemsoning until they beat us. Their players even said that defining win was when they knew they belong with the big boys. Now look at them. Georgia was also a perennial loser in big games until guess what, they beat us. Now they have been to the SEC championship each of the past two years and havenít looked back. Why canít we finally have that shining moment? We have the talent. As Lou used to say, or close to it. We donít have to beat them ten times, we donít have to beat their fans, we just have to play good enough and beat them this Saturday. Iím still a firm believer it can happen.
You know why? Because Fromm is a sham. Heís Mark Sanchez of USC and of the Jets. Weasel arm, whoís good enough to manage his team and get them in good plays. We hit him a good 5 times in this game and heís going to fold. We just have to do it. Also, their receivers are 4 and 5 stars but all green. Some even beaten up and were held out to try to recover for us. I would challenge our dbís to get in there face and make them make plays. Make Fromm try to be perfect down field on his throws. Anyways, thatís my rant. It can happen.
Old 09-16-2019, 02:34 AM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
At some point we are going to have to turn the corner. Clemson was known as Clemsoning until they beat us. Their players even said that defining win was when they knew they belong with the big boys. Now look at them. Georgia was also a perennial loser in big games until guess what, they beat us. Now they have been to the SEC championship each of the past two years and havenít looked back. Why canít we finally have that shining moment? We have the talent. As Lou used to say, or close to it. We donít have to beat them ten times, we donít have to beat their fans, we just have to play good enough and beat them this Saturday. Iím still a firm believer it can happen.
You know why? Because Fromm is a sham. Heís Mark Sanchez of USC and of the Jets. Weasel arm, whoís good enough to manage his team and get them in good plays. We hit him a good 5 times in this game and heís going to fold. We just have to do it. Also, their receivers are 4 and 5 stars but all green. Some even beaten up and were held out to try to recover for us. I would challenge our dbís to get in there face and make them make plays. Make Fromm try to be perfect down field on his throws. Anyways, thatís my rant. It can happen.

Fromm might not be a great NFL QB, but heís no sham. He always comes through in big games.

I agree, at some point ND needs to turn the corner, but I donít see this being the game. ND just doesnít have the horses to compete in this game.
Old 09-16-2019, 04:04 AM
Administrator
Domer Domain Legend

Quote:

Yea, yea, yea... They said the same thing against Miami in '88. Nothing is a given. I'm not saying we'll def win but there's a reason we play the games.

"
If we were in the wild, I would attack u. Even if u werenít in my food chain, I would go out of my way to attack u!" ~Manti Teo

Old 09-16-2019, 05:13 AM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedsterX View Post
Yea, yea, yea... They said the same thing against Miami in '88. Nothing is a given. I'm not saying we'll def win but there's a reason we play the games.
Exactly! A few turnovers will make any game interesting
Old 09-16-2019, 12:20 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
You do realize that was 31 years ago, right? We havenít done it in 31 years. So while you are correct that it can be done, we havenít been able to do it in 31 years. I guess you can at least understand where my skepticism comes from.
Old 09-16-2019, 12:26 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
You do realize that was 31 years ago, right? We havenít done it in 31 years. So while you are correct that it can be done, we havenít been able to do it in 31 years. I guess you can at least understand where my skepticism comes from.
Agreed- I wasnít even alive the last time we won a game of this magnitude. So the skepticism is certainly warranted.
Old 09-16-2019, 12:57 PM
Domer Domain Junior

At some point we have to win a big game, we haven't done it since Lou. Which BTW we had another couple really big games beside 88 Miami in there, but the point stands it's been a really long time. I don't know if this week could be the week or not, like Speedy said you got to play the games regardless what it says on paper. The players and coaches have to step up, minimize errors and maximize their mistakes. History has not been kind to us, the team has to flip it like Clemson did or before them when it was Osborne and Nebraska who laid eggs in big games. We will see come Saturday.
Old 09-16-2019, 02:20 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

2005 was the last top ten win. I believe it was the FSU game.
Old 09-16-2019, 02:38 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
I was at that game. First of, it was at home. Secondly, we had more speed and power relative to Miami than this team does to Georgia. Hell, Tony Rice completed two 50 yardish bombs, one to the Rocket, the other to Ricky Waters. I don't see that happening vs GA, but I hope I'm wrong.
Old 09-16-2019, 04:14 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Hoping to see a very focused team run onto the field Saturday night. Just as focused as they were to start the playoff game against Clemson. I am hoping the staff spent a good part of the off season planning for this game. They knew they would win the first 2 games so hopefully they have offensive and defensive schemes they have practiced and not shown yet. I hope Chip Long is at his most creative and uses a lot of motion, pick plays, roll outs and boots, crossing patterns and a few trick plays to keep Georgia off balance all night. I hope Clark Lee sells out to stop the run and guesses right on big passing downs. I hope the special teams match Georgia's especially in field goal kicking, they have one of the best in the country. After pulling off the upset I hope they have enough left to beat UVA next week. They feel like BCin 1993.
Old 09-16-2019, 07:53 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELDER06 View Post
Fromm might not be a great NFL QB, but heís no sham. He always comes through in big games.

I agree, at some point ND needs to turn the corner, but I donít see this being the game. ND just doesnít have the horses to compete in this game.
Fromm always comes through in big games?

Passer rating vs unranked and ranked teams:

2017 vs. unranked 183.79.
2017 vs. ranked 138.40

2018 vs. unranked 200.85
2018 vs. ranked 140.35

You'd expect a little difference, but that is huge.

Here is Trevor Lawrence in 2018:
vs. Ranked 165.62
vs. Unranked 155.02 He did better vs. ranked teams, that's coming up big.

Tua:

2018 vs. ranked 163.58
2018 vs. unranked 228.54 Big split, but still great vs ranked teams.

Kyler Murray

2018 vs ranked 190.77
2018 vs unranked 204.10 Amazing. He would have been second in nation just in games vs ranked teams.

Fromm is a fine player, but to say he always plays great in big games just isn't accurate.
Old 09-16-2019, 08:14 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by corysold View Post
Fromm always comes through in big games?

Passer rating vs unranked and ranked teams:

2017 vs. unranked 183.79.
2017 vs. ranked 138.40

2018 vs. unranked 200.85
2018 vs. ranked 140.35

You'd expect a little difference, but that is huge.

Here is Trevor Lawrence in 2018:
vs. Ranked 165.62
vs. Unranked 155.02 He did better vs. ranked teams, that's coming up big.

Tua:

2018 vs. ranked 163.58
2018 vs. unranked 228.54 Big split, but still great vs ranked teams.

Kyler Murray

2018 vs ranked 190.77
2018 vs unranked 204.10 Amazing. He would have been second in nation just in games vs ranked teams.

Fromm is a fine player, but to say he always plays great in big games just isn't accurate.
Do you know Book's split between ranked and unranked?
Old 09-16-2019, 08:16 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

We haven't beaten a top 5 team in 14 years! That's a tough stat to ignore when predicting the outcome of this game.

I don't know who the team was in 2005 or how many tries we have had since....but clearly we don't seem to pull off many big upsets.

We have a chance, the defense is pretty fast and may be better then we think...and Ian is going to need his best game ever...its possible we are not a patsy and our roster is not a sham...

But frankly if we could keep this game under 10 points I would think that may be the best we can expect.....play them close take them into the 4th quarter and who knows....I will be hoping and rooting but I wont lay any money on us.

aloha
Old 09-16-2019, 08:42 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiirish View Post
We haven't beaten a top 5 team in 14 years! That's a tough stat to ignore when predicting the outcome of this game.

I don't know who the team was in 2005 or how many tries we have had since....but clearly we don't seem to pull off many big upsets.

We have a chance, the defense is pretty fast and may be better then we think...and Ian is going to need his best game ever...its possible we are not a patsy and our roster is not a sham...

But frankly if we could keep this game under 10 points I would think that may be the best we can expect.....play them close take them into the 4th quarter and who knows....I will be hoping and rooting but I wont lay any money on us.

aloha
They beat #3 Michigan in 2005.

Since then:

2005: #1 USC (L 31-34); #4 Ohio State (L 20-34)
2006: #3 USC (L 24-44); #4 LSU (L 14-41)
2007: #4 Boston College (L 14-27)
2008: #5 USC (L 3-38 )
2009: None
2010: None
2011: #4 Stanford (L 14-28 )
2012: #2 Alabama (L 14-42)
2013: None
2014: #2 Florida State (L 27-31)
2015: None
2016: None
2017: None
2018: #2 Clemson (L 3-30)

Charlie Weis was 1-6 against Top 5 teams. BK is 0-4, which includes the 2012 National Championship and 2018 College Football Playoff losses.
Old 09-16-2019, 09:36 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali_domer View Post
Do you know Book's split between ranked and unranked?
After over 13,000 posts, I think you know that answer to that.

2018 vs unranked: 165.30 (8 games)
2018 vs ranked: 131.41 (4 games, sort of)

To clarify it a bit, he started 3 games vs ranked teams. Played vs. Michigan I think but didn't throw a pass.

Vs. Northwestern 168.86
Vs. Syracuse 140.88
Vs. Clemson 83.65

So a pretty small sample and clearly Clemson brought him down, but Clemson is clearly different than NW and Syracuse and closer to Georgia, so more relevant.

For reference, a 140 rating usually ranks a QB around 40th by year end. Top guys are 160+. Elite guys are 190+. Anything below 130 is below average and the 100th ranked passer last year was at 114.
Old 09-20-2019, 03:42 AM
Domer Domain Sophomore

We clearly are gonna come out scared, make mistakes, turn the ball over like we always do during big games...We lose handedly. we don't have enough up the middle to stop them nor do we have the line backers. Offense will struggle, Book will have happy feet, leave the pocket too soon. The writing is on the wall. We just need to figure out how to build on this and move on.
M.S.B.C
S.C.S.B.C
A.S.B.C
DEADSPIN.COM S.B.C
Old 09-20-2019, 06:14 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgandonor View Post
We clearly are gonna come out scared, make mistakes, turn the ball over like we always do during big games...We lose handedly. we don't have enough up the middle to stop them nor do we have the line backers. Offense will struggle, Book will have happy feet, leave the pocket too soon. The writing is on the wall. We just need to figure out how to build on this and move on.
I totally disagree with your first sentence saying they ď...come out scaredĒ. Sure their nerves will be at max high to start the game. Maybe spiders and snakes scare some but NOT playing football against Georgia.