Notre Dame Football News And Talk  

Come check out the news feed! DD Front Page

Go Back   Notre Dame Football News And Talk > Message Board > General Discussion

Old 08-20-2019, 02:11 AM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Default Preseason AP Poll - ND #9

1. Clemson
2. Alabama
3. Georgia
4. Oklahoma
5. Ohio State
6. LSU
7. Michigan
8. Florida
9. Notre Dame
10. Texas
11. Oregon
12. Texas A&M
13. Washington
14. Utah
15. Penn State
16. Auburn
17. UCF
18. Michigan State
19. Wisconsin
20. Iowa
21. Iowa State
22. Syracuse
23. Washington State
24. Nebraska
25. Stanford

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 08-20-2019, 02:14 AM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Old 08-20-2019, 02:42 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Old 08-20-2019, 02:45 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Where ND started in the AP Poll vs. where ND finished under BK:

2010: NR vs. NR
2011: #16 vs. NR
2012: NR vs. #4
2013: #14 vs. #20
2014: #17 vs. NR
2015: #11 vs. #11
2016: #10 vs. NR
2017: NR vs. #11
2018:: #12 vs. #5

ND has finished higher in the AP Poll than where it started in 3 times, including each of the last two seasons (2012, 2017, 2018 ). ND has finished lower in the AP Poll than where it started 4 times (2011, 2013, 2014, 2016).

Last edited by tneun89; 08-20-2019 at 02:59 PM.
Old 08-20-2019, 03:19 PM
Domer Domain All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by tneun89 View Post
I thought ND started the '93 season ranked at either 11th or 12th.
Old 08-20-2019, 04:45 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangeruss View Post
I thought ND started the '93 season ranked at either 11th or 12th.
They were ranked #7 to start the season.
Old 08-20-2019, 05:44 PM
Domer Domain Freshman

I don't know enough about the other top 15ish teams to know how I feel about where ND is starting, but in what world is Michigan above ND? They lost 7ish defensive starters from a team that ND controlled for 60 minutes last year. I just don't get the Michigan love when year after year they have under performed under Harbaugh.
Old 08-20-2019, 06:01 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Where ND started in the AP Poll vs. where ND finished under BK:

2010: NR vs. NR
2011: #16 vs. NR
2012: NR vs. #4
2013: #14 vs. #20
2014: #17 vs. NR
2015: #11 vs. #11
2016: #10 vs. NR
2017: NR vs. #11
2018:: #12 vs. #5

ND has finished higher in the AP Poll than where it started in 3 times, including each of the last two seasons (2012, 2017, 2018 ). ND has finished lower in the AP Poll than where it started 4 times (2011, 2013, 2014, 2016).
This scares me because the only time BK’s finished with a higher ranking “when ranked” was last year. But I feel he’s turned the corner on depth and coaching. At least I hope so...
Old 08-20-2019, 06:05 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
1. Clemson
2. Alabama
3. Georgia
4. Oklahoma
5. Ohio State
6. LSU
7. Michigan
8. Florida
9. Notre Dame
10. Texas
11. Oregon
12. Texas A&M
13. Washington
14. Utah
15. Penn State
16. Auburn
17. UCF
18. Michigan State
19. Wisconsin
20. Iowa
21. Iowa State
22. Syracuse
23. Washington State
24. Nebraska
25. Stanford
Also, I know ND has a tough schedule and could lose three games, but Michigan could easily lose three games too. Actually, Florida and LSU could easily lose three. Georgia could if they lose to us. Other than that the other top 4 have easier schedules or better teams that they can navigate and only lose two at the most. ND will be fighting for that #4 spot if they can win 2of 3 against the big squads-Michigan, Georgia, or USC/Stanford(depending who bears who and who wins that conference).
Old 08-20-2019, 06:47 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltssb View Post
Also, I know ND has a tough schedule and could lose three games, but Michigan could easily lose three games too. Actually, Florida and LSU could easily lose three. Georgia could if they lose to us. Other than that the other top 4 have easier schedules or better teams that they can navigate and only lose two at the most. ND will be fighting for that #4 spot if they can win 2of 3 against the big squads-Michigan, Georgia, or USC/Stanford(depending who bears who and who wins that conference).
I think that there are 10-12 teams fighting for the #3 and #4 spots. Everyone knows Clemson and Alabama will be there. Even if they drop a game during the regular season, they will be given the benefit of the doubt and make the CFP.

The last two spots, IMO, come down to Georgia, Oklahoma, Ohio State, LSU, Michigan, Florida, Notre Dame, Texas, Oregon, Washington, Utah, Penn State, Auburn.

Georgia, Oklahoma, and Ohio State have to be considered the favorites for those two spots, but, while I think those three are clearly above the other teams mentioned, there are still plenty of question marks. Will Georgia be able to pass the ball effectively without their Top 5 receivers from 2018? Can their defense survive with a bunch of new starters in the front seven? Oklahoma and Ohio State both have questions marks at QB. Jalen Hurts was a good QB at Alabama, but he does not seem like the prototypical QB for Lincoln Riley's system. Justin Fields is a former 5-star recruit, but it doesn't seem like he has been that impressive since he transferred to OSU.

I have a hard time seeing Michigan making a serious run at the CFP. I think that they are better than most ND fans are willing to admit, but they have to replace a lot of talent on defense and they have beaten OSU once (2011) in the last 14 seasons. ONCE. I actually really like Penn State and can see them making a serious run - just a question of whether Sean Clifford at QB is the real deal.

Oregon, Washington, and Utah could all win the Pac-12, but it is clearly the weakest conference, and a one-loss Pac-12 champion probably gets left out.

LSU, Florida and Auburn have really tough schedules and are clearly behind Alabama and Georgia in terms of talent.

Texas lost a ton, but they beat a better OU team last year in the regular season. I don't really buy into the Ehlinger hype, but who knows.

I want to say that ND has a shot at the CFP, but getting the three toughest games on the road, plus all of the losses on defense makes me extremely skeptical. I personally would be happy with a 10/11 win season, as long as it ends in a NY6 Bowl win. ND needs to end that losing streak. Badly.
Old 08-23-2019, 10:34 AM
Domer Domain Sophomore

The only poll that matters is the last one of the season. Rankings now are meaningless.
Old 08-23-2019, 03:14 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
I think that there are 10-12 teams fighting for the #3 and #4 spots. Everyone knows Clemson and Alabama will be there. Even if they drop a game during the regular season, they will be given the benefit of the doubt and make the CFP.

The last two spots, IMO, come down to Georgia, Oklahoma, Ohio State, LSU, Michigan, Florida, Notre Dame, Texas, Oregon, Washington, Utah, Penn State, Auburn.

Georgia, Oklahoma, and Ohio State have to be considered the favorites for those two spots, but, while I think those three are clearly above the other teams mentioned, there are still plenty of question marks. Will Georgia be able to pass the ball effectively without their Top 5 receivers from 2018? Can their defense survive with a bunch of new starters in the front seven? Oklahoma and Ohio State both have questions marks at QB. Jalen Hurts was a good QB at Alabama, but he does not seem like the prototypical QB for Lincoln Riley's system. Justin Fields is a former 5-star recruit, but it doesn't seem like he has been that impressive since he transferred to OSU.

I have a hard time seeing Michigan making a serious run at the CFP. I think that they are better than most ND fans are willing to admit, but they have to replace a lot of talent on defense and they have beaten OSU once (2011) in the last 14 seasons. ONCE. I actually really like Penn State and can see them making a serious run - just a question of whether Sean Clifford at QB is the real deal.

Oregon, Washington, and Utah could all win the Pac-12, but it is clearly the weakest conference, and a one-loss Pac-12 champion probably gets left out.

LSU, Florida and Auburn have really tough schedules and are clearly behind Alabama and Georgia in terms of talent.

Texas lost a ton, but they beat a better OU team last year in the regular season. I don't really buy into the Ehlinger hype, but who knows.

I want to say that ND has a shot at the CFP, but getting the three toughest games on the road, plus all of the losses on defense makes me extremely skeptical. I personally would be happy with a 10/11 win season, as long as it ends in a NY6 Bowl win. ND needs to end that losing streak. Badly.
Texas is on the rise. Tons of talent. If the coaching lives up to what they think, Texas will be a force for many years to come. It is now getting back to a two team conference: OU and UT.
Old 08-23-2019, 08:39 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Gruene View Post
Texas is on the rise. Tons of talent. If the coaching lives up to what they think, Texas will be a force for many years to come. It is now getting back to a two team conference: OU and UT.
It’s good that Texas is getting back on the scene. But is there a conference that is just so blah every year? That conference really needs for some teams to step up. West Virginia and TCU have had some ok years but with Texas being so bad you would had thought some other teams would had jumped up and took the reigns. Like Wisky did in the b10 for awhile. It just hasn’t happened.
Old 08-23-2019, 08:46 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndmike88 View Post
The only poll that matters is the last one of the season. Rankings now are meaningless.
Wouldnt necessarily say theyre meaningless. It's been historically easier for us to notch our way into the top 10 when starting the season ranked than when unranked. Especially when the playoffs became a popularity contest. You get more clout when you were expected to be in the hunt than when you come out of nowhere....IMO anyway....
"If a believer demands that I, as a nonbeliever, observe his taboos in the public domain, he is not asking for my respect, but for my submission. And that is incompatible with a secular democracy." - Flemming Rose
Old 08-23-2019, 08:59 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo88 View Post
Wouldnt necessarily say theyre meaningless. It's been historically easier for us to notch our way into the top 10 when starting the season ranked than when unranked. Especially when the playoffs became a popularity contest. You get more clout when you were expected to be in the hunt than when you come out of nowhere....IMO anyway....
For sure true.

If Alabama or Clemson lose a game, they are still favored to be in the top 4. If teams starting 5-6 and below lose, they are in the mix, but need help.

Some of that is what they have done in the past, but a lot is what they are expected to be before the season even starts.