Notre Dame Football News And Talk  

Come check out the news feed! DD Front Page

Go Back   Notre Dame Football News And Talk > Message Board > General Discussion

Old 08-06-2019, 07:51 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Default Domer Domain - WWWWH

Who started DD? What were the early days like? When was DD started? Where was it started? How did they start it?

I've seen the names of the frequent posters and Mods change over the years and was wondering what is in the Domer Domain DNA.

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 08-06-2019, 08:40 PM
Domer Domain All American

Good Question.. I've been here since 2011 and it has been one of the best places I could ever ask for.

I have Cerebral Palsy which limits my mobility but have been and ND fan since a physical therapist wrote to Lou Holtz and he sent me backk a signed football. After PT i would draw plays as a reward for working hard.

I have Degree from a small local University in Political Science and work for my local Arc Chapter which is a non profit that helps people with different abilities like me.

That said besides work I don't have alot to do at night as an outlet. So I started posting on this message board, and DonJuan, Speedster, and so many others were kind to me. they kept on giving me more opportunities to help, so I took them up.

This board was around well before me though so I've asked a person that knows more of that. Thanks for the question!

Keep That Fighting Spirit

"Let me see you disrespect me now, when my face is to ya" Lou Holtz

Resident video nerd and DomerDomain MVP since 2011

Last edited by FaithInIrishForever; 08-06-2019 at 10:14 PM.
Old 08-07-2019, 01:51 AM
Domer Domain Junior

I think it started in 2005. I believe the site is owned by some Chinese company - the DNA. Domer Domain has a sister site in Irish Envy.

The site used to be more focused on recruiting than now as there was more mystery in the process and build up to signing day. There are less surprises now which is a good thing overall, especially with signing day changing. Also Wiess had the #1 recruiting class in 2008 which got people excited vs the the laziest coach ever at ND - Willingham.

You'll find the people here come from all walks of life with various connections to ND. I was a former student and my father was a football player.

Some people have more insider connections to today's program. All posters are welcome and bring energy to the board. I find this board good for discussion and Irish Envy keeping up on the individual players.

Last edited by Domer Dude; 08-07-2019 at 01:56 AM.
Old 08-07-2019, 02:51 AM
Domer Domain Walk-On

I remember lurking here nearly 10 years ago with my brother. Always remembered a guy named "Sir John" posting a lot. I still lurk every game thread these years and post only now and then.
Old 08-07-2019, 03:45 AM

I remember coming here after being at IrishEnvy in early 2006 chasing recruiting news when Terrail Lambert was the star of the class as our single four star recruit... Dark days.

Anyway, I didnt like the layout of IrishEnvy and preferred the real talk and isnight over here. IrishEnvy started turning a bit towards the crap at NDNation so I left for good. Then, Hawaii showed up with his cracked out optimism and melodrama which used to ruffle my feathers. I donít know why... Heís cool.

Only been suspended once for ripping on that dbag receiver (Deontay Greenberry or something?) who left us to do nothing at Houston. Probably shouldíve been suspended more, but oh well...I usually walk away from inflammatory posts, so i guess I self-suspend. Great group of folks here, though.

Guys like Big23 have come and gone over the years, just called different names but with the same insight so theyíve always created a lot of value. Iíve notice things slowing down over the past couple of years which I attribute to Kelly steadying the ship on the recruiting front. In fact, recruiting is a bit boring these days in a good way - no wild, wild west of Mustain or Benn or Booker or the DE who went to UT or Aaron Donald...or hell, even Manti and Clausen. Recruiting simply is what it is now, which is great. Now, we can just focus on the field, but it does seem a bit more boring...
Old 08-07-2019, 12:28 PM
Administrator
Domer Domain Legend

When I came aboard, a guy by the name of Warren ran the site. Pretty sure he still does--however, he is the behind-the-scenes owner. Warren and his West Coast corporation own several sites that generate advertising dollars. DD is the sister site of Irish Envy. Irish Envy is kind of the Cadillac and DD is kind of like the local transit bus. Personally, I prefer the bus but that's because I don't need a lot of frills or "up-votes." The bus moves things along and usually can handle a lot more users. I like our Reddit-like grit and freedoms to break information.

Sir John was DD's true champion who led with his enthusiasm and passion on a daily basis. There really was no dead period with Sir John. He brought me aboard and I kind of learned the backend of things by trial and error. (OMG, I deleted the entire site!! lol) This is funny to me since I now run an entire city's website and help handle their public relations.

DD is owned by WM Media Corp. I work primarily with their midwest developer, Austin Arnett. Austin lives in Indiana and is a graduate of Ball State University so he understands ND football better than most developers. He handles any technical service we may need--not found in our CMS backdoor. I usually bug him once a month and maybe more during the season. He's a pleasure to work with.

Since I've been here, we've added a live chat feature, a countdown clock, announcement capabilities, changed the aesthetics, implemented security features for new sign-ups...etc. We've also added social media accounts and have maintained them. We've also encountered all kinds of issues and have overcome. I still remember the "live chat racist" we had for a couple of weeks. All in all, this has been an evolving site. Some members rarely post anymore, (ahem DomeandDomer and ND Fanatic) and some have moved on. But we've also added a lot of new members as well. I'm currently finishing up grad school so I've been a little less frequent these last few years but I think after this season I should be back to normal participation. I still have the itch.

As an aside, Austin has mentioned to me the plausibility of paying for articles on the front page. (Yes, we have a front page that Faith dutifully runs for us) So if anyone wants some extra beer money for the upcoming season, this could be your avenue for obtaining it--and from the leisure of your home. You know that electric smoker you've always wanted for gameday ribs? Writing ND articles could land in on your doorstep. Seriously.

Old 08-07-2019, 01:26 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Apparently I joined in Jan 2008 it says... God has it been that long ago?! I can't even remember how I came across her, think someone from an old forum I was on linked me maybe? Anyhow, been here since. Still don't utilize some of the functions on the site or reach out to folks through private messages much, think mine broke somehow. But I have been a proud member since arrival.

This is by far my favorite website, ND related or not. I'm a man of simple tastes and I have thoroughly enjoyed my experience here over these past 11 years. There has been a plethora of characters around here, who all bring a unique perspective to the site, and have made it so enjoyable for me to keep checking in 10+ times a day in season or off. I miss some of the guys who used to be here when I first joined like Sir John, IrishRick, and 2lakes among others. But have certainly enjoyed the many others who joined up after them.

A big thank you for everyone who keeps this site going behind the scenes! Thanks to everyone who contributes info they glean from around the net and any little connections they have that provide insight to the program, recruiting, etc. I encourage posters who haven't been very active to drop a line once in awhile to let us know you are above ground. And those who regularly contribute, keep it up please. I don't have spit for knowledge about the program and only chime in with my probably crappy opinions during the season and in Gamechat.

Go Irish!
Old 08-07-2019, 02:22 PM

I'll be honest DonJuan, I don't use the front page at all. In fact, on the rare occasion that I accidentally type the base name www.domerdomain.com and leave off the /forum part, I'm like ugghhhhh. But when I do visit, I think a basic thing that's missing is the schedule or two years' worth of schedules. Also, there is a simple twitter widget that I use on my pages that allows you to set up a DD twitter account, follow who you want to follow, and the widget will regularly scroll and update with those twitter posts from the people you follow. If you'd like, I can pass along some more ideas I've used on some of the sites I've developed. The RSS widget is good, too, because it allows you to post articles from RSS feeds that continually update, so you don't actually have to write the articles yourself.

As far as the forum landing page, 1) I'd again suggest we have the full schedule in the banner or something. And, 2) I think there needs to be a more prominent link to the front page of DD. The little hyperlink just doesn't draw the eye or make it easy. Maybe there's a way to embed a link in the DD Forum banner...

Anyway, just figured this was the time to summarize some observations I've noticed that might prevent people from exploring the site further. Take it or leave it. PM me if you'd like.
Old 08-07-2019, 02:37 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishwavend View Post
I'll be honest DonJuan, I don't use the front page at all. In fact, on the rare occasion that I accidentally type the base name www.domerdomain.com and leave off the /forum part, I'm like ugghhhhh. But when I do visit, I think a basic thing that's missing is the schedule or two years' worth of schedules. Also, there is a simple twitter widget that I use on my pages that allows you to set up a DD twitter account, follow who you want to follow, and the widget will regularly scroll and update with those twitter posts from the people you follow. If you'd like, I can pass along some more ideas I've used on some of the sites I've developed. The RSS widget is good, too, because it allows you to post articles from RSS feeds that continually update, so you don't actually have to write the articles yourself.

As far as the forum landing page, 1) I'd again suggest we have the full schedule in the banner or something. And, 2) I think there needs to be a more prominent link to the front page of DD. The little hyperlink just doesn't draw the eye or make it easy. Maybe there's a way to embed a link in the DD Forum banner...

Anyway, just figured this was the time to summarize some observations I've noticed that might prevent people from exploring the site further. Take it or leave it. PM me if you'd like.
Excellent point on schedule. Not that I canít just go look for it. But it something nice about it just being there. Agree...
Old 08-07-2019, 03:43 PM
Domer Domain Junior

When I joined in I think 2006, it was really maybe twenty or more active posters. At least that’s what it felt like. We had Broker3d that changed his name to Rockne3d, who was locked into the program and always had inside or breaking news. We had TDjesus88 who was the same way. Both have since moved on. I remember Chriodomer making fun of el senor domer with some borderline racist material!! Sir John and others really made this place a lot like a family dinner table where we all were talking ND football! I remember Omar Hunter night, Ararluiss Benn night, Justin Trattaou night! I remember Jimmy Clausen day! Lots of fun! We have had some great posters show up, Big and LV to name a couple! With everything it has to change some for the better and some for the worse.
Old 08-07-2019, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donjuan View Post
When I came aboard, a guy by the name of Warren ran the site. Pretty sure he still does--however, he is the behind-the-scenes owner. Warren and his West Coast corporation own several sites that generate advertising dollars. DD is the sister site of Irish Envy. Irish Envy is kind of the Cadillac and DD is kind of like the local transit bus. Personally, I prefer the bus but that's because I don't need a lot of frills or "up-votes." The bus moves things along and usually can handle a lot more users. I like our Reddit-like grit and freedoms to break information.

Sir John was DD's true champion who led with his enthusiasm and passion on a daily basis. There really was no dead period with Sir John. He brought me aboard and I kind of learned the backend of things by trial and error. (OMG, I deleted the entire site!! lol) This is funny to me since I now run an entire city's website and help handle their public relations.

DD is owned by WM Media Corp. I work primarily with their midwest developer, Austin Arnett. Austin lives in Indiana and is a graduate of Ball State University so he understands ND football better than most developers. He handles any technical service we may need--not found in our CMS backdoor. I usually bug him once a month and maybe more during the season. He's a pleasure to work with.

Since I've been here, we've added a live chat feature, a countdown clock, announcement capabilities, changed the aesthetics, implemented security features for new sign-ups...etc. We've also added social media accounts and have maintained them. We've also encountered all kinds of issues and have overcome. I still remember the "live chat racist" we had for a couple of weeks. All in all, this has been an evolving site. Some members rarely post anymore, (ahem DomeandDomer and ND Fanatic) and some have moved on. But we've also added a lot of new members as well. I'm currently finishing up grad school so I've been a little less frequent these last few years but I think after this season I should be back to normal participation. I still have the itch.

As an aside, Austin has mentioned to me the plausibility of paying for articles on the front page. (Yes, we have a front page that Faith dutifully runs for us) So if anyone wants some extra beer money for the upcoming season, this could be your avenue for obtaining it--and from the leisure of your home. You know that electric smoker you've always wanted for gameday ribs? Writing ND articles could land in on your doorstep. Seriously.
DJ,Austin thanks for making this place work!

Big, LasVegas, Tnuen, Jersey, all make recruiting fun

LasVegas Irish I could see your writing gracing this front page

Rockets Heart and ART brighten this place.

I admire EVERY moderator

I grab video links, hopefully am nice to people, help settle disagreements. and like X and O's.

We need YOUR TALENT AND TIME most all. We have so many TALENTED caring people and we MAKE THIS PLACE THE BEST WHEN WE WORK TOGETHER

Keep That Fighting Spirit

"Let me see you disrespect me now, when my face is to ya" Lou Holtz

Resident video nerd and DomerDomain MVP since 2011

Last edited by FaithInIrishForever; 08-07-2019 at 05:30 PM.
Old 08-07-2019, 08:52 PM

Oh man...we can't leave out Erik Lorig... Haha. Rockne3D/Broker3D was who I was trying to remember. He bounced but I can't remember why. And, I think he was part of the reason I came over. I think IrishEnvy was trying to ban insider content for fear of upsetting that Dbag Mike Frank. I may be getting confused though...that was over a decade ago.
Old 08-07-2019, 09:04 PM
Domer Domain Junior

There was a lot of that during that time. What was considered inside or premium information. Last time I talked to Broker, He was busy with work and trying to focus on that. I met up with him at the 2006 penn State game and he was an awesome guy. We kept in touch for years after but I havenít heard from him in probably 9-10 years.
Old 08-08-2019, 11:09 AM
Administrator
Domer Domain Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishwavend View Post

I actually have an RSS feed that goes on the front page but it wasn't loading properly so I turned it off until further notice. Good points all around. It simply needs more love. We've got mambots, wombats, widgets, polls, chats, and other various capabilities. But it doesn't make sense IMO to do all of that without semi-regular content creation along with it. I think it's the one thing we miss out on but I also understand why. This is a hobby site so it's gonna be hard to find somebody who can both write and captivate without having a career already in it and without the reciprocal salary. Contributors can get paid, but it won't be what a writer gets paid.

Old 08-08-2019, 11:11 AM
Administrator
Domer Domain Legend

What about Big Sean?? Irish Calves always had good information.

Old 08-09-2019, 02:18 AM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Remember the night I got suspended for slamming Big Sean for saying he got recruited by MLB despite not starting on his H.S. team? That is the night that launched my art career...
Old 08-09-2019, 11:03 AM
Administrator
Domer Domain Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketsan View Post
Remember the night I got suspended for slamming Big Sean for saying he got recruited by MLB despite not starting on his H.S. team? That is the night that launched my art career...
I vaguely remember that. Maybe we should start banning people so we gain front page contributors. lol.

Old 08-09-2019, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketsan View Post
Maybe Big Sean threw a 98 mph fastball in one of those speed games during the seventh inning stretch and was subsequently noticed by the Aís. Ha.
Old 08-09-2019, 02:15 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donjuan View Post
I vaguely remember that. Maybe we should start banning people so we gain front page contributors. lol.
Iíd take a Waffle House Gift Card...