Notre Dame Football News And Talk  


Come check out the news feed! DD Front Page

Go Back   Notre Dame Football News And Talk > Message Board > Recruiting Board

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #701  
Old 11-19-2020, 02:14 PM
dangeruss's Avatar
dangeruss dangeruss is offline
Senior Member
Domer Domain All American
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 8,571
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big23Head View Post
ND couldn't go wrong with landing either Edwards, Cardwell or Estime any one of them would be an awesome get imo.
Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

  #702  
Old 11-19-2020, 05:55 PM
soulpatch soulpatch is offline
Junior Member
Domer Domain Walk-On
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 433
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big23Head View Post
Can anyone provide a cliff notes version of this?
Reply With Quote
  #703  
Old 11-19-2020, 08:43 PM
tneun89's Avatar
tneun89 tneun89 is offline
Junior Member
Domer Domain Junior
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 2,136
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulpatch View Post
Can anyone provide a cliff notes version of this?
I listened to it - it was good, but not a whole lot of new information. But here is what I took from it:

1. Philip Riley decommitted because of negative recruiting. Loy wouldn't explicitly say what it was or who was negative recruiting, but reading between the lines, it seemed like USC coaches were in his ear and spreading misinformation about Notre Dame's culture - campus life, religious aspects, diversity, etc. But ND was able to keep the dialogue going, even after he decommitted, and got him to visit ND on his own dime when the football team was not on campus (think it was the Pitt game). The campus visit really changed things and he was all ND after that.

2. Josh Bryan apparently wanted to commit in August, but ND didn't offer him. They were not going to offer him, but that changed about a month ago. Once he got the offer, he wanted to commit immediately.

3. The Donovan Edwards' recruitment is trending favorably for ND, but Loy is not ready to say ND is leading or going to win this recruitment. Edwards wanted to commit to OSU back in the summer, but OSU already had 2 RBs, so they basically turned him away. Loy mentioned ND, Michigan, Oklahoma, and Georgia as the serious players. He thinks OU lands Camar Wheaton, so that eliminates them. He also thinks Edwards will stay closer to home, so Georgia is likely not going to land him. So, it will come down to ND/Michigan. ND was basically out due to going all in for Shipley, but things have slowly turned around. It sounds like conversations really picked up before the Clemson game, and the staff actually talked to him the day of the game and the next day. So, moving in a positive direction, but long way to go.

4. Caleb Johnson will flip to ND, barring something unexpected.

5. David Abiarra will not end up in the class.

6. Positive things happening with OU commit Kelvin Gilliam. It sounds like the ND staff thinks they are going to land him, but the OU staff feels good about keeping him. Loy says there is a "lot of smoke about an eventually flip to ND."

7. Loy said the staff only wanted 3 WRs in the class - it sounds like that is something Del wanted. But, he made it clear that ND was not going to land Thornton because of how much he loved Oregon. Loy did say that the ND staff has contacted Thornton and Clemson commit Beaux Collins, but says don't expect anything to come from that. He wouldn't even say if there is a dialogue - just that ND reached out.

8. Loy thinks ND could end up with 25 commits. He thinks it will end up being one of BK's best classes.
Reply With Quote
  #704  
Old 11-19-2020, 11:19 PM
D Fence's Avatar
D Fence D Fence is offline
Junior Member
Domer Domain Junior
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 2,127
Default

Tneun89 - that is a great summary! I didn't think he was that positive on Caleb, only that the staff will be on a zoom call with him today that will likely be the last reachout. Either he flips or he doesn't.

I finally broke down and watched Edwards' highlights. Wow, that kid is electric. I can't believe how he is not a 5*, but regardless of the final ranking, he definitely 5* talent.
Reply With Quote
  #705  
Old 11-20-2020, 12:59 AM
tneun89's Avatar
tneun89 tneun89 is offline
Junior Member
Domer Domain Junior
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 2,136
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Fence View Post
Tneun89 - that is a great summary! I didn't think he was that positive on Caleb, only that the staff will be on a zoom call with him today that will likely be the last reachout. Either he flips or he doesn't.

I finally broke down and watched Edwards' highlights. Wow, that kid is electric. I can't believe how he is not a 5*, but regardless of the final ranking, he definitely 5* talent.
That’s definitely fair to say about Johnson. I was just putting his comments together with a recent run of crystal balls to ND, including from an Auburn beat writer and Steve Wilfong (National Recruiting Director for 247). So, just combining those two things, but you’re right in that he didn’t say he expected a flip on the podcast. FWIW, I think they recorded the podcast prior to all the crystal balls coming in, so things may have changed. I know he was having a zoom call tonight, so something could come down soon.
Reply With Quote
  #706  
Old 11-20-2020, 01:45 AM
D Fence's Avatar
D Fence D Fence is offline
Junior Member
Domer Domain Junior
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 2,127
Default

Well, it looks like he flipped in another thread, so it doesn't matter now! Great pick up for the Irish
Reply With Quote
  #707  
Old 11-23-2020, 02:23 AM
Big23Head's Avatar
Big23Head Big23Head is offline
Senior Member
Domer Domain All American
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 6,460
Default

Reply With Quote
  #708  
Old 11-23-2020, 02:45 AM
soulpatch soulpatch is offline
Junior Member
Domer Domain Walk-On
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 433
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big23Head View Post
https://www.si.com/college/notredame...1-jojo-johnson
Reply With Quote
  #709  
Old 11-23-2020, 10:29 AM
BrianKellyTheMan BrianKellyTheMan is offline
Junior Member
Domer Domain Junior
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW OHIO
Posts: 2,210
Default

Do we really need another CB? Especially, one that seems like an experiment but whose also really fast. I guess we’re taking 25+ somehow this year.
Reply With Quote
  #710  
Old 11-23-2020, 06:30 PM
golson5 golson5 is offline
Junior Member
Domer Domain Sophomore
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,490
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianKellyTheMan View Post
Do we really need another CB? Especially, one that seems like an experiment but whose also really fast. I guess we’re taking 25+ somehow this year.
Barnes and Riley's best college positions might be safety. Walters might grow into a rover. They're getting versatile players. Also, maybe they don't think they will land Ceyair Wright
Reply With Quote
  #711  
Old 11-23-2020, 09:44 PM
D Fence's Avatar
D Fence D Fence is offline
Junior Member
Domer Domain Junior
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 2,127
Default

I think there were some comments about Riley being a better fit at S because he likes to hit and he put on some weight, but I read somewhere else that he is a great lockdown type of corner and really good in bump and run. I bet this new offer is more because we are doubtful about Wright. Wright was supposed to set up a visit in Dec but maybe he was dragging his feet on doing so. Just a guess on my part. Agree about Walter's and Barnes maybe being better at S and Rover.
Reply With Quote
  #712  
Old 11-24-2020, 03:49 AM
Big23Head's Avatar
Big23Head Big23Head is offline
Senior Member
Domer Domain All American
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 6,460
Default

Mickens wanted him at Cincinnati and things worked out to get him at ND now. Looks physically solid, has speed, played great this year. Let’s see what happens

I’m not sure Walters can get the weight up enough for Rover. It will interesting to watch.
Reply With Quote
  #713  
Old 11-24-2020, 04:37 AM
Big23Head's Avatar
Big23Head Big23Head is offline
Senior Member
Domer Domain All American
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 6,460
Default

It will be interesting to see how many ND takes this cycle. I think it will be 25 at least. Star rankings this year will have an * because not all played and little to no camps. I’m intrigued to see how NDs coaches evaluations turn out for this year. The staffs evaluations have been very good to great in recent years. Mickens has a great track record. Lea excellent. Etc... The DL is my biggest question right now. If they land one more then that reduces, but ND should definitely trust Lea/Elston

Last edited by Big23Head; 11-24-2020 at 04:40 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #714  
Old 11-24-2020, 09:30 PM
tneun89's Avatar
tneun89 tneun89 is offline
Junior Member
Domer Domain Junior
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 2,136
Default

Sometimes it's not wise to read too much into Twitter, but Gilliam just posted this OU edit. OU is very confident, and ND's confidence really diminished over the last couple of days. No idea what happened - many insiders thought the flip to ND was almost a sure thing. Again, it's just Twitter, so take it for what it's worth. But not a positive sign for ND.

Reply With Quote
  #715  
Old 11-24-2020, 09:52 PM
golson5 golson5 is offline
Junior Member
Domer Domain Sophomore
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,490
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tneun89 View Post
Sometimes it's not wise to read too much into Twitter, but Gilliam just posted this OU edit. OU is very confident, and ND's confidence really diminished over the last couple of days. No idea what happened - many insiders thought the flip to ND was almost a sure thing. Again, it's just Twitter, so take it for what it's worth. But not a positive sign for ND.

Oklahoma is playing a lot better now than earkier in the season
Reply With Quote
  #716  
Old 11-25-2020, 09:18 PM
Big23Head's Avatar
Big23Head Big23Head is offline
Senior Member
Domer Domain All American
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 6,460
Default

Brief update. As of today ND is going for a full class which could include 2-4 more players.

Donovan Edwards: will sign early and EE, the answer will be known in ~3 weeks
Byron Cardwell: deciding on or around national signing day in Feb, ND may get a visit
Audric Estime: no offer yet but one could come, I would expect after Edwards decision is known
Kelvin Gilliam: I believe he will stay with OU
Devin Aupui: no offer yet but that may change soon, unclear how serious he would be right now
Ceyair Wright: deciding Jan 2nd, tentatively will visit ND next month
Titus Mokiao-Atimalala: seems torn about distance, lack of visits is bothering him and he is nowhere near deciding, ND probably fading though

If ND locks in and finishes in the ACC Championship game with a playoff bid then a few other names may show up.
Reply With Quote
  #717  
Old 11-25-2020, 11:30 PM
golson5 golson5 is offline
Junior Member
Domer Domain Sophomore
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,490
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big23Head View Post
Brief update. As of today ND is going for a full class which could include 2-4 more players.

Donovan Edwards: will sign early and EE, the answer will be known in ~3 weeks
Byron Cardwell: deciding on or around national signing day in Feb, ND may get a visit
Audric Estime: no offer yet but one could come, I would expect after Edwards decision is known
Kelvin Gilliam: I believe he will stay with OU
Devin Aupui: no offer yet but that may change soon, unclear how serious he would be right now
Ceyair Wright: deciding Jan 2nd, tentatively will visit ND next month
Titus Mokiao-Atimalala: seems torn about distance, lack of visits is bothering him and he is nowhere near deciding, ND probably fading though

If ND locks in and finishes in the ACC Championship game with a playoff bid then a few other names may show up.
I have to admit, I was kinda expecting us to get Gilliam so thats a big disappointment.
Reply With Quote
  #718  
Old 11-29-2020, 04:20 PM
Jersey Irish's Avatar
Jersey Irish Jersey Irish is offline
Member
Domer Domain Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mine Hill, New Jersey
Posts: 4,825
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by golson5 View Post
I have to admit, I was kinda expecting us to get Gilliam so thats a big disappointment.
Don't know how after the way the defense played vs NC, he would not want to be ND. He's an East Coast guy and the games in the ACC would bring him closer to home than any game Oklahoma would play
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #719  
Old 12-01-2020, 08:42 AM
golson5 golson5 is offline
Junior Member
Domer Domain Sophomore
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,490
Default

I see Ceyair Wright scheduled a visit to ND. Not sure the date? Donovan Edwards has to be seriously considering us. Michigan is a mess and Harbaugh might be out. Full court press on him.

Recruiting got a little quiet after Clemson surge and Gilliam leaning back to Oklahoma.

Keep winning
Reply With Quote
  #720  
Old 12-01-2020, 08:29 PM
tneun89's Avatar
tneun89 tneun89 is offline
Junior Member
Domer Domain Junior
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 2,136
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by golson5 View Post
I see Ceyair Wright scheduled a visit to ND. Not sure the date? Donovan Edwards has to be seriously considering us. Michigan is a mess and Harbaugh might be out. Full court press on him.

Recruiting got a little quiet after Clemson surge and Gilliam leaning back to Oklahoma.

Keep winning
Wright is visiting this weekend for the Syracuse game, but can't interact with the staff since it's a dead period. Not sure if he can "run in" to the players or not. Hopefully some other recruits (Blake) make it up there as well. FWIW, many believe USC is the team to beat.
Reply With Quote
  #721  
Old 12-01-2020, 09:21 PM
Big23Head's Avatar
Big23Head Big23Head is offline
Senior Member
Domer Domain All American
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 6,460
Default

Devin Aupiu (Aw-pew I think) likely next to commit. Love the size and length. Moves well and appears to have good instincts. Needs a year or two to develop but that's just fine. Skipping his Sr season to get to ND but might play in the Poly Bowl if it happens. I hope it does.

Last edited by Big23Head; 12-01-2020 at 10:02 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #722  
Old 12-01-2020, 09:22 PM
Big23Head's Avatar
Big23Head Big23Head is offline
Senior Member
Domer Domain All American
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 6,460
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tneun89 View Post
Wright is visiting this weekend for the Syracuse game, but can't interact with the staff since it's a dead period. Not sure if he can "run in" to the players or not. Hopefully some other recruits (Blake) make it up there as well. FWIW, many believe USC is the team to beat.
I think there will be 4-5 visitors and no they can't "run in" to the team. Lots of Zoom calls and things of that nature.
Reply With Quote
  #723  
Old 12-04-2020, 10:14 PM
tneun89's Avatar
tneun89 tneun89 is offline
Junior Member
Domer Domain Junior
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 2,136
Default

TMA eliminates ND

Reply With Quote
  #724  
Old 12-05-2020, 04:57 PM
NDhoosier's Avatar
NDhoosier NDhoosier is offline
Senior Member
Domer Domain All American
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Clarksville, TN
Posts: 6,803
Default

little bit of a bummer, but I heard it was a position thing. Could be wrong.
Reply With Quote
  #725  
Old 12-05-2020, 05:48 PM
tneun89's Avatar
tneun89 tneun89 is offline
Junior Member
Domer Domain Junior
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 2,136
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDhoosier View Post
little bit of a bummer, but I heard it was a position thing. Could be wrong.
That seems to be the case. ND was recruiting him as a safety, but he wants to play WR. It also sounds like him not being able to visit ND really hurt - ND was the perceived leader at one point. Probably ends up at USC.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Also visit IrishEnvy, our Notre Dame Football partner site

All times are GMT. The time now is 10:16 AM.

Last Updated: January 21, 2021

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.