Notre Dame Football News And Talk  

Come check out the news feed! DD Front Page

Go Back   Notre Dame Football News And Talk > Message Board > General Discussion

Old 10-21-2019, 01:56 AM
Domer Domain Junior

Default Do you believe we can win a National Championship in the next 5 yrs?

I feel like the program has really turned a corner in the last couple of years.

I look at some of the recruits we are getting and have already got and it just feels like the program continues to trend up.

The defense really feels like it has the pedigree to do it right now.

I think we are just waiting on hitting the jackpot with a QB, RB, WR combo that can really put the offense over the top.

But it feels close and like it’s an actual possibility again...

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 10-21-2019, 02:35 AM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Yes.
Iíve posted consistently for over a year that ND can win it next year.
Even if they donít, recent recruiting has placed them squarely in the conversation for the next 4 years.
The bigger question to me is what happens after the 2021 season. I think thatís the last year of Kellyís contract.
Old 10-21-2019, 02:57 AM
Domer Domain Sophomore

No. Not until we get a legitimate top tier QB. If we actually land one then yes.
Old 10-21-2019, 03:02 AM
Domer Domain Junior

No. Kelly is bad at games where teams have time to prepare. Other players have called out his teams telegraphing their plays. Given enough time and tape, other teams can tell what he is doing just by formation and personnel.
Old 10-21-2019, 03:40 AM
Domer Domain All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Gruene View Post
Yes.
Iíve posted consistently for over a year that ND can win it next year.
Even if they donít, recent recruiting has placed them squarely in the conversation for the next 4 years.
The bigger question to me is what happens after the 2021 season. I think thatís the last year of Kellyís contract.
This article thinks Kelly is thinking 5 more years total https://fansided.com/2019/03/05/bria...ension-rumors/

Keep That Fighting Spirit

"Let me see you disrespect me now, when my face is to ya" Lou Holtz

Resident video nerd and DomerDomain MVP since 2011
Old 10-21-2019, 04:00 AM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Send a message via AIM to toddrhodes Send a message via Yahoo to toddrhodes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Gloves View Post
No. Not until we get a legitimate top tier QB. If we actually land one then yes.
You don't think we may have one in Buchner?

/insert witty comment or quote <here>
Old 10-21-2019, 05:02 AM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddrhodes View Post
The skill players coming in are all difference makers - guys that are not just passing the eyeball test but have the film and measurables to back it up. Buchner has all-pro written all over him.

ND has got great new facility, great consistent coaching, great S&C program, and a plan for the next generation head coach. Long streak of 1st/top round lineman, pipeline of difference makers at different positions such as TE. Scheduling geared toward performance.

Alabama is getting stale. Clemson showing flaws. Maybe it is ND's time.
Old 10-21-2019, 05:36 AM
Domer Domain Sophomore

As recently as three years ago, I would have said no, but now I absolutely believe ND can win a title. ND has had a championship caliber defense the last few years, but not a championship level offense. They still donít have one this year which is why theyíll miss out on the CFP. But they have a ton of skill position talent coming in the 2020 and 2021 recruiting classes. Top 100 talent. A five star RB and a five star WR in 2020, plus a Top 100 TE. Then two Top 100 WRs in 2021, plus a potential five star QB and a great chance at another five star RB. Thatís a lot of talent. That was the biggest difference between ND and Clemson in the Cotton Bowl, along with depth. ND is getting elite talent where it matters. You need an explosive offense to win a title in todayís college football. The days of winning with a Saban defense and a decent offense are gone. You need a Top 10/Top 5 offense. ND is getting the players necessary to do that.

ND also has the coaching. There probably arenít more than 3-4 head coaches besides BK who could have led last yearís team to a 12-0 record. Iím talking the same players. ND has an elite staff, and Iím hoping Long and especially Lea stick around for a few more seasons.

The only hesitation is the Playoff system. Not only does ND most likely have to run the table (whereas recent national title winners like Clemson and Alabama can lose during the season but still make it in), but ND also has to beat two elite teams back-to-back, whereas in the BCS, they only had to beat one. Thatís going to be hard for ND to do. But I think theyíre getting the talent to do that. Win a NY6 Bowl this season and keep the momentum going. ND is in the middle of the high point of the BK era.
Old 10-21-2019, 09:50 AM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Not with Kelly. He can't win a big game. He comes out of the tunnel with those "deer in the headlight eyes" and doesn't know how to prepare his team.
Old 10-21-2019, 12:38 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Can we win a championship?

Me? Absolutely. Iím spectacular.

You? Not so sure.
Old 10-21-2019, 12:39 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Also, our team? Possible, but Iím not super confident.
Old 10-21-2019, 01:21 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddrhodes View Post
I hope so! Hopefully he sticks with his commitment and he comes to ND. And then letís hope he actually is the real deal. I think he is probably the best prospect we have had in years at the QB position.
Old 10-21-2019, 02:09 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndmike88 View Post
Not with Kelly. He can't win a big game. He comes out of the tunnel with those "deer in the headlight eyes" and doesn't know how to prepare his team.
Yeah Iíve seen that look before and it usually spells doom for ND.

The 2012, 2015 and 2018 postseasons should be more than enough evidence to answer no. When teams with equal/greater talent and coaching have a month or more to prepare they exploit Kellyís teams.

I think heís going to make the playoffs once or twice before heís done here, however I think thatís as far as heíll get. For the restrictions we have to deal with in this day and age I think thatís fairly impressive.
Old 10-21-2019, 04:06 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Send a message via AIM to toddrhodes Send a message via Yahoo to toddrhodes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Gloves View Post
I hope so! Hopefully he sticks with his commitment and he comes to ND. And then letís hope he actually is the real deal. I think he is probably the best prospect we have had in years at the QB position.
Amen to that. I have to think he's licking his chops with the receiver talent we've got, and we're continuing our trend of good OL and TE recruitment. I honestly don't know much about him at this point but a buddy and I were talking about him over the weekend and I got all excited

/insert witty comment or quote <here>
Old 10-21-2019, 04:11 PM

I feel like we'll be in the conversation consistently which, if you can't be a dominant NFL team every year like Bama, is right where you want to be; because you have the opportunity to jump up and grab a title if you're consistently in that position. Do I think we will...? Doubt it, but you never know. Will we be in another national title game in the next five years? I'd think so.

Recruiting is really a given these days, which is a far cry from the drop off that occurred during Ty's tenure. Charlie did his best to restock the cupboard and Kelly has seemed to figure it out. I can remember being excited that we landed four star Terrail Lambert as our "stud" in his class... smh. As long as we're getting the players we've gotten, we should be in or near the Top 10 for a while which should translate to a couple of undefeated seasons, hopefully.
Old 10-21-2019, 06:59 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tneun89 View Post
ND also has the coaching. There probably arenít more than 3-4 head coaches besides BK who could have led last yearís team to a 12-0 record. Iím talking the same players. ND has an elite staff, and Iím hoping Long and especially Lea stick around for a few more seasons.
If Kelly is such a great head coach, then it will not matter if Long and Lea leave since Kelly surely can easily hire equally good replacements, him being such a great head coach and all.
Old 10-21-2019, 08:14 PM

The quality of any HBC is defined by his management of the program which leans heavily on his coordinators. Kelly is doing a good job of managing this program right now.
Old 10-21-2019, 09:08 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Canít see us beating the football factory at Alabama unless they somehow implode or get sanctioned lol
Old 10-21-2019, 09:12 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

We have seen how our program is different from others. We have success with recruiting as we have success on the field. Thatís not new, every team is like that. The difference is that ONE year of us not reaching expectations puts us back to square one and we are not given the benefit of the doubt like other programs. The Clemsons, Bamas, Ohio States of the world can have down years and there will be no reduction in 5 Stars wanting to still go there. The bar, as usual is higher for us.
Old 10-21-2019, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domer Dude View Post
The skill players coming in are all difference makers - guys that are not just passing the eyeball test but have the film and measurables to back it up. Buchner has all-pro written all over him.

ND has got great new facility, great consistent coaching, great S&C program, and a plan for the next generation head coach. Long streak of 1st/top round lineman, pipeline of difference makers at different positions such as TE. Scheduling geared toward performance.

Alabama is getting stale. Clemson showing flaws. Maybe it is ND's time.
Just curious, how is Alabama getting stale, and what flaws has Clemson shown? (Keeping in mind that pretty much all teams have flaws, even in the NFL)

edit: Forgot to chime in on OPs question...
I'd say "No"...for a couple of reasons:
1. Kelly's history with QBs. I believe I brought this up back at the beginning of the 2017 season when I declared Wimbush a lost cause and got shredded for arguing 1) Kelly not having a good history with QBs and 2) Wimbush not panning out. But good to see people coming around on the Kelly thing. We already know what happened with Wimbush

2. Notre Dame's penchant for not being able to consistently move the ball on Top 25 teams. What I mean by that is that even when our offense was piling on yards and points, we seemed to really rely on big plays and seem to have a difficult time (given our talent level) to consistently move the ball 4-5 yards at a time. We also seem to have difficulty in picking up critical 4th and 1's against ANYBODY (again, relative to our talent level) (And this is only partly related and I'm not sure of the statistics on this, but we also seem to commit a lot of errors on 4th and 1's). That's why we moved away from Wimbush and went with Book in 2018. Book gave us a more consistent attack on offense. Unfortunately, the Kelly QB trend has reared its ugly head and Book has also regressed YOY

Before people chime in with "but our 4th down conversion rate was ranked 18th in the country in 2018, and it's currently ranked 27th. I'm talking about critical 4th downs where we really needed to pick up the 1st down to continue our momentum or keep the ball away to continue bleeding clock

Last edited by Franco; 10-21-2019 at 10:01 PM.
Old 10-21-2019, 09:54 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Recruiting has been good....we made the playoffs last year and the titile game in 2012...

So the answer to " can we win a championship " is clearly YES...

Will we actually win one is a different question , I would expect the chances for this are no better then 12 to 1 over the next 6 years or so

aloha
Old 10-21-2019, 09:57 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketsan View Post
Can’t see us beating the football factory at Alabama unless they somehow implode or get sanctioned lol
Maybe, but first, it would be for one game and I think ND is at least good enough that anything can happen in one game.

Also, ND might not have to beat Alabama. Someone might do it for them.

The QB is the answer. ND is more or less good enough everywhere on the field to be a championship contender. They aren't good enough at QB (and I don't just mean Book. Clausen was probably the last guy ND could have won with).

I'm still convinced if ND had Lawrence last year and Clemson had Book, that ND wins. Do they beat Bama? Who knows. But if they solve the QB question in the next 5 years, they can win a title. That doesn't mean they will, but it wouldn't be impossible, which it seemed like just 3-4 years ago.
Old 10-21-2019, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishwavend View Post
The quality of any HBC is defined by his management of the program which leans heavily on his coordinators. Kelly is doing a good job of managing this program right now.
he is. he was headed to doom in 2016. I posted the week BVG got fired that someone needed to go. If he had kept BVG I don't think Brian Kelly would of lasted after 17-18. However making the Balis move and the Elko-Lee move put us on an Ohio State type Trajectory instead of a Michigan trajectory.

With the exodus of Meyer we are starting to get Ohio State type players again. Are last one was Jaylon Smith but now in '21 we have a coveted receiver out of ohio committed.

We are strength training like Ohio State(Balis worked with Meyer in Florida) We look like Ohio State on the field and record is beginning to reflect it,

So do we have a chance in 5 years? Ohio State did it. So maybe?

Keep That Fighting Spirit

"Let me see you disrespect me now, when my face is to ya" Lou Holtz

Resident video nerd and DomerDomain MVP since 2011
Old 10-21-2019, 11:43 PM
Domer Domain Junior

I rarely take stock in recruiting ratings. If Notre Dame gains more team speed everywhere, has a truly elite QB and builds on the O-line and Front 7 improvement with better players and more depth we could win it. That's a lot of ifs.
Old 10-22-2019, 01:00 AM
Domer Domain Junior

Back the Brinks truck up to Lea in order to retain him and Elston, then again for Balis, that's step one. Keep winning consistently which helps to get attention on the program and lures high level recruits here. Change the offensive scheme enough and quit relying on predictable formations and packages. Play the best players who get it done on the field. Go outside your coaching shrub. The TE seam is your friend....