Notre Dame Football News And Talk  

Come check out the news feed! DD Front Page

Go Back   Notre Dame Football News And Talk > Message Board > General Discussion

Old 10-02-2019, 03:01 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Default Report: NFL could gauge Notre Dame coach Brian Kelly's interest

Piling up wins as a contender in the national championship conversation is commonplace during Brian Kelly's tenure at Notre Dame and that level of success hasn't gone unnoticed.

Sports Illustrated NFL insider Albert Breer wrote this week that the league remains interested in Kelly as a potential coaching option in the future considering his penchant for winning at one of college football's historic programs. Last season's unbeaten run to the College Football Playoff ignited some of that buzz it appears, along with last month's commendable performance on the road vs. Kirby Smart and Georgia, a team with more talent across the board.

"Heís in his 10th year at Notre Dame now. Heís a good bet to post his fifth 10-win season, and third straight," Breer writes. "In the 16 years before his arrival, the Irish had just two 10-win campaigns. At the very least, heís the best coach in South Bend since Lou Holtz.

https://247sports.com/college/notre-...ing-136409525/

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 10-02-2019, 04:13 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Heís getting old. Would he really want to start over. Iím also not sure if he has the fire to start over. Also, is an NFL team going to wait ten years until he gets them into the playoffs consistently?
Old 10-02-2019, 06:25 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

This is the first year of the Kelly era where I’m not too fond of reading this. I believe he started to build something in 2017 when he changed his role. He finally took a backseat to his coordinators and became a ceo which he’s pretty good at.

There’s not many better than him in the college game either. I do think we’re set up to hire from within since we have Clark Lea, this has worked so far at OSU and I think it would here.

I don’t see it though. Where’s he going to go? Denver? Washington? I think Kelly is comfortable here and will retire as the ND head coach.
Old 10-02-2019, 07:00 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

NFL teams may be interested in him, but I think he has zero interest in the NFL now. He obviously flirted with the NFL after the 2012 season, and I am sure he has thought about it at other times during his tenure at ND, but the program is in the best spot it's been in since Holtz. He has finally figured it out, and he seems to embrace ND, challenges and all. If ND wins 10 games this year, that's three seasons in a row and four out of the last five. When is the last time that happened?

He has the full backing of Swarbrick and the administration. He has done a great job bringing ND football into the 21st century - stadium upgrade, new facilities, training table, nutrition and recovery upgrades, etc. He is at his peak as the ND head coach right now. I really believe that he will stay here for 3-5 more seasons and then retire. I could see him getting into tv, but I don't think he'll coach again after ND.
Old 10-02-2019, 10:03 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by tneun89 View Post
NFL teams may be interested in him, but I think he has zero interest in the NFL now. He obviously flirted with the NFL after the 2012 season, and I am sure he has thought about it at other times during his tenure at ND, but the program is in the best spot it's been in since Holtz. He has finally figured it out, and he seems to embrace ND, challenges and all. If ND wins 10 games this year, that's three seasons in a row and four out of the last five. When is the last time that happened?

He has the full backing of Swarbrick and the administration. He has done a great job bringing ND football into the 21st century - stadium upgrade, new facilities, training table, nutrition and recovery upgrades, etc. He is at his peak as the ND head coach right now. I really believe that he will stay here for 3-5 more seasons and then retire. I could see him getting into tv, but I don't think he'll coach again after ND.
Lou won 10+ 5 times in six years between 1988 and 1993.

Before that they didn't play enough games to win 10+ on a consistent basis, unless they were going through seasons with 0 or 1 loss. For instance, in his 13 seasons, Rockne won 10 games only three times. Leahy only won 10 games once, despite having won 4 national titles.
Old 10-02-2019, 11:43 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali_domer View Post
"Heís in his 10th year at Notre Dame now. Heís a good bet to post his fifth 10-win season, and third straight," Breer writes. "In the 16 years before his arrival, the Irish had just two 10-win campaigns. At the very least, heís the best coach in South Bend since Lou Holtz.

https://247sports.com/college/notre-...ing-136409525/
The bold doesn't, and shouldn't, mean much, if anything, at all.
Old 10-03-2019, 12:15 AM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Itís all about the $$$.

I donít know what he makes at ND (salary, endorsements, bonuses)...but if the NFL offer is ridiculous he goes.
Old 10-03-2019, 02:07 AM
Domer Domain All American

I personally do not care one way or the other. Leaving means we might end up with a better coach. Kelly’s record is a so what as far as I am concerned. Recent success is after many years of failure. So....he is a slow learner? The NFL climate now doesn’t allow for that. Swarbrick does

Tough Times Don't Last, Tough People Do!
Old 10-03-2019, 03:06 AM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by corysold View Post
Lou won 10+ 5 times in six years between 1988 and 1993.

Before that they didn't play enough games to win 10+ on a consistent basis, unless they were going through seasons with 0 or 1 loss. For instance, in his 13 seasons, Rockne won 10 games only three times. Leahy only won 10 games once, despite having won 4 national titles.
BTW, many of Lou's seasons only had 11 regular season games unlike the 12 that is the norm now.
Old 10-03-2019, 11:56 AM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Hope he does leave. He has taken ND as far as he can.
Old 10-03-2019, 01:40 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndmike88 View Post
Hope he does leave. He has taken ND as far as he can.
Who would you have replace him?

Everyone who wants him gone, never seems to have a realistic replacement in mind.

Old 10-03-2019, 04:05 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltssb View Post
Heís getting old. Would he really want to start over. Iím also not sure if he has the fire to start over. Also, is an NFL team going to wait ten years until he gets them into the playoffs consistently?
Yep. The NFL trend is to find very young assistants in their early 30s and hand the reins to them.
Besides, Kelly has done very well for himself salary-wise at ND and IMHO would be quite happy to retire after his ND tenure with a fat bank account and forego the instability of the coaching carousel in the NFL
Old 10-03-2019, 09:32 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synoptico View Post

Everyone who wants him gone, never seems to have a realistic replacement in mind.
Someone young, innovative, motivating, level headed, not stubborn...
Old 10-03-2019, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketsan View Post
So who would that be?
Old 10-03-2019, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishwavend View Post
So who would that be?
thats the hard part. I mean I can think of people who aren't coming. Oklahoma hit the last innovative home run with Lincoln Riley.

Going the young innovative is risky. Historically ND does well with a guy who has college head coaching experience. Lou, Ara, Dan Devine... Kelly(dots because they have a title or titles) come to mind.

I like the guy that coached App State and now coaches Louisville, but thats a HUGE jump.

Keep That Fighting Spirit

"Let me see you disrespect me now, when my face is to ya" Lou Holtz

Resident video nerd and DomerDomain MVP since 2011
Old 10-04-2019, 12:53 AM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishwavend View Post
So who would that be?
Iím not the AD - so why speculate? This group is deep rooted in BK... itíll take a new AD before we see a radical departure in program direction...
Old 10-04-2019, 12:54 AM
Domer Domain Sophomore

The same old folks downplaying what Kelly has done. Norte Dame went 15 years without being relevant. They could have easily gone another 20 years if they did not finally make a good hire with Kelly.

In the current college football landscape ND has zero business being relevant. Kelly has done a remarkable job at building a program. Same thing he did at GVS, Central Michigan, and Cincinnati. He is one of a handful of coaches in America who could have produced this type of success here in modern college football.

If they lose Kelly all fans should be worried. When Lou left everyone thought hiring the defensive coordinator would be an easy transition. We know how that turned out. For as good as Lea is he has NO IDEA what being a head coach at ND is like.
Old 10-04-2019, 03:35 AM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBrasco View Post
The same old folks downplaying what Kelly has done. Norte Dame went 15 years without being relevant. They could have easily gone another 20 years if they did not finally make a good hire with Kelly.

In the current college football landscape ND has zero business being relevant. Kelly has done a remarkable job at building a program. Same thing he did at GVS, Central Michigan, and Cincinnati. He is one of a handful of coaches in America who could have produced this type of success here in modern college football.

If they lose Kelly all fans should be worried. When Lou left everyone thought hiring the defensive coordinator would be an easy transition. We know how that turned out. For as good as Lea is he has NO IDEA what being a head coach at ND is like.
Who is Norte Dame? I think you are on the wrong message board. Kelly is not remarkable at anything in football , he is good at a lot of things. Remarkable is is a a word I would never associate with Brian Kelly.

Last edited by cali_domer; 10-04-2019 at 03:45 AM.
Old 10-04-2019, 08:25 AM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali_domer View Post
Who is Norte Dame? I think you are on the wrong message board. Kelly is not remarkable at anything in football , he is good at a lot of things. Remarkable is is a a word I would never associate with Brian Kelly.
This post is incredibly lame. lol
Old 10-04-2019, 11:30 AM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:

It is not my job to find a replacement. That is the AD's job. If the administration is serious about getting ND over the hump they need to find a replacement that will accomplish this,
but as I have stated before Jack is happy concerning the job Kelly is doing. Jack is happy with 9-3 10-2 seasons, getting into a bowl game, sellouts at the stadium on Saturdays and most importantly keeping the $$$ rolling in.
Kelly has taken the Irish as far as he can. Thank you Brian but its time to go and see if someone else can finish the job.
Old 10-04-2019, 01:21 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketsan View Post
Remember when everyone wanted Mike Stanford to be the HC in waiting.... because he met that criteria....

Old 10-04-2019, 01:22 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndmike88 View Post
It is not my job to find a replacement. That is the AD's job. If the administration is serious about getting ND over the hump they need to find a replacement that will accomplish this,
but as I have stated before Jack is happy concerning the job Kelly is doing. Jack is happy with 9-3 10-2 seasons, getting into a bowl game, sellouts at the stadium on Saturdays and most importantly keeping the $$$ rolling in.
Kelly has taken the Irish as far as he can. Thank you Brian but its time to go and see if someone else can finish the job.
If you are coping out saying, "not my job" well then guess what, it also isnt your job to decide to fire him. Cant have it both ways.

Old 10-04-2019, 02:21 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Remember when everyone wanted Mike Stanford to be the HC in waiting.... because he met that criteria....
"Everyone"? Message boards are a small microcosm of the fan base. Most I saw said it was to soon and for him to get his feet wet else where
Old 10-04-2019, 02:27 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
If you are coping out saying, "not my job" well then guess what, it also isnt your job to decide to fire him. Cant have it both ways.
Guess what happens even if replacement coaches names are listed. Unrealistic! Bad-choice! No better than Kelly etc. This is not a new conversation, it has happened numerous times.
Old 10-04-2019, 02:28 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
If I had any say in the matter he would be gone. I can't decide to fire him but nice try.