Notre Dame Football News And Talk  

Come check out the news feed! DD Front Page

Go Back   Notre Dame Football News And Talk > Message Board > General Discussion

Old 09-14-2019, 10:04 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Default Jeff Quinn was an awful hire

That is all

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 09-14-2019, 10:26 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

When Kelly doesn’t hire his buddy’s it works out great. Elko, Lea and Long.

We’ve seen this with BVG and him hiring his GVSU buddies. Hopefully this doesn’t cost us the playoffs like BVG did in 2015.
Old 09-15-2019, 12:07 AM
Domer Domain Walk-On

I think some people will never be satisfied with the OL coach. Plenty of people wanted Hiestand gone last year. He's pretty much thought of as one of the best O line coaches anywhere. Personally, I think what the linemen are being asked to do isn't rocket science. I will value the ability to sign 4 & 5 star linemen over x's and o's ability since I don't think it's overly complex. The players have to execute what they have been taught.
Old 09-15-2019, 12:29 AM
Domer Domain Freshman

So here's my thing: I agree Quinn was not a good hire, and I agree with everyone who says that Kelly's assistants hiring seem to go better when he hires outside of his FCS coaching tree. I wish they could have kept Heistand or hire a young, hungry guy like they did at other positions groups.

I also don't think anything that happened this game was attributable to Quinn. ND has struggled running the ball in short yardage situations throughout Kelly's tenure. More than a few of you guys called Mcglinchley "Mcflinchey" after a couple of false starts and he was a first round pick and nearly an all-pro.

Now I'm someone who has disliked Kelly for a very long time for reasons both on and off the field, but I don't want him fired (although a retirement soon wouldn't be the end of the world) but to blame an O-line coach or O-coordinator when the offense has had the same issues no matter who is at those positions seems wrong to me. We have had multiple coaches at both positions over the years and the issues have been the same. At some point it's just how Kelly wants his offense to run. Slow developing, easy to read run plays with very little misdirection and an offensive line that can't seem to dominate lesser teams, much less equal teams.

Now I'm hoping we run some inventive, power runs next week and were just saving everything for Georgia, but I feel like I should know better after 10 years.
Old 09-15-2019, 01:04 AM
Domer Domain All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dardo View Post
So here's my thing: I agree Quinn was not a good hire, and I agree with everyone who says that Kelly's assistants hiring seem to go better when he hires outside of his FCS coaching tree. I wish they could have kept Heistand or hire a young, hungry guy like they did at other positions groups.

I also don't think anything that happened this game was attributable to Quinn. ND has struggled running the ball in short yardage situations throughout Kelly's tenure. More than a few of you guys called Mcglinchley "Mcflinchey" after a couple of false starts and he was a first round pick and nearly an all-pro.

Now I'm someone who has disliked Kelly for a very long time for reasons both on and off the field, but I don't want him fired (although a retirement soon wouldn't be the end of the world) but to blame an O-line coach or O-coordinator when the offense has had the same issues no matter who is at those positions seems wrong to me. We have had multiple coaches at both positions over the years and the issues have been the same. At some point it's just how Kelly wants his offense to run. Slow developing, easy to read run plays with very little misdirection and an offensive line that can't seem to dominate lesser teams, much less equal teams.

Now I'm hoping we run some inventive, power runs next week and were just saving everything for Georgia, but I feel like I should know better after 10 years.
Yeah I've documented my objection. I mostly agree with you. I'm guessing this thread(not your post) was posted after a few players jumped offsides and otherwise missed assignments. The offensive line as a whole does not get substituted 5 for 5, very often. Thats why when people that hadn't played before made mistakes I urged patience. Quinn is in an impossible situation, he both follows Hiestand and has been with Kelly a long time. So when his name gets called its because something bad happened.

We need to pick up 3rd and short for sure. 1 for 10 won't cut it. The offensive line coach often takes the blame in these cases

Keep That Fighting Spirit

"Let me see you disrespect me now, when my face is to ya" Lou Holtz

Resident video nerd and DomerDomain MVP since 2011
Old 09-15-2019, 03:26 AM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndomer4 View Post
When Kelly doesn’t hire his buddy’s it works out great. Elko, Lea and Long.

We’ve seen this with BVG and him hiring his GVSU buddies. Hopefully this doesn’t cost us the playoffs like BVG did in 2015.
But you have to admit, he is a heck of a recruiter
Old 09-15-2019, 03:46 AM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Jeff Quinn was not an awful hire, that is all
Old 09-15-2019, 04:01 AM
Domer Domain Sophomore

I don’t know what the real problem is or who is to blame. All I know is that I am sick and tired of our O Line never dominating teams and picking up short yardage when we need it. It’s fricking embarrassing.

Georgia’s D line is going to chew us up and spit us out. It will be like Clemson all over again. If we keep the game within 25 points it will be a moral victory.
Old 09-15-2019, 06:08 AM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulpatch View Post
Jeff Quinn was not an awful hire, that is all
Not awful...But doesnt look good so far
Old 09-15-2019, 06:46 AM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Let's see. Became ND's OL coach in January 2018. Went 12-0 regular season. Embarassing loss to Clemson in playoffs, but better against Clemson than Alabama fared. 2-0 this year. So a 14-1 record as an OL coach. Now I'm not saying he's a great coach. I don't know enough about the details of offensive line play to give a critical evaluation. I wish they would blow teams off the line on short yardage plays, too. But for every short yardage failure, there have been holes big enough that people on this board could have run through and scored. Great? I don't think so. Awful? I don't think so.
Old 09-15-2019, 07:37 AM
Domer Domain Junior

Year 10, it's the scheme. This is the offense we run and it's been very frustrating every single year because it's very Jekyll and Hyde, and short yardage situations are up in the air too often. We are predictable and are peskily countered by competent DC's with even median talent on that side of the ball, while top schools generally don't have a problem stopping us at all.

We get into funks too often and at very inappropriate times in games. We outsmart ourselves more often than the intended opponent by moving away from stuff that's clearly working in our favor and missing the obvious plays that should be working repeatedly *cough* TE seam, which would alleviate pressure D's who load the box.

All this has an effect on the D as well, and has been noted repeatedly by many. Georgia is a run team, and you know they are salivating to hit our soft interior on D. They will eat clock and sustain drives against us, wearing out our D with their great and multiple RB's. We have to give the D rest and sustain drives, but historically we seem to forget or ignore this dimension as the O needs to help the D.
Old 09-15-2019, 01:07 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyisNasty View Post
That is all
First two games have had defenses loading up to stop run

Kmet hurt. Young hurt. Best running back Jafar hurt.

BLAME Quinn!!!! Seriously, our fans are never happy
Old 09-15-2019, 01:32 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

I don't know if I'd say it was an awful hire.

Last year ND ranked 23rd in Power success rate, which is getting a first down on 3rd or 4th down and 2 or less to go. That isn't terrible.

Ohio St. was 109th.
Michigan was 79th.
Clemson was 86th.

ND was not good in stuff rate, which is the plays that are stopped behind the line of scrimmage, which we can all agree needs to get better. But ND isn't terrible in 3rd and 4th and short. I think teams struggle more than we think, but since we aren't watching every down of their games like we do ND, we don't see it.

Also remember, that two of those TD "passes" yesterday, were basically handoffs that the run game doesn't get credit for. Add 110 yards to the run total yesterday on two carries and things look better.
Old 09-15-2019, 04:15 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Our short yardage run blocking has long been a source of frustration for me. I can't really blame Quinn, the problem predates his arrival. We have had great linemen (what is it, 3 straight 1st round picks at LT?), but we have consistently failed to run effectively in short-yardage situations. Every time I see us try to pull a lineman in 3rd and 2, I want to scream. Our lineman are typically bigger, and more physical than the guy lined up across from him. Put a body on him, hold a block for 2 seconds, and have a back hit the hole quick. It's not rocket science. When you try to pull a lineman into 5he hole on short yardage, you are just adding congestion. Not to mention that a quicker DL will just follow the pulling lineman into the backfield. Pulling line.an is great when you are asking them to clean up the second level of the defense. You don't need to worry about the second level if you only need 2 yards.

My two cents...
Old 09-15-2019, 04:47 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

You guys know we won by 52 points, right?
Old 09-15-2019, 05:04 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddyO View Post
Our short yardage run blocking has long been a source of frustration for me. I can't really blame Quinn, the problem predates his arrival. We have had great linemen (what is it, 3 straight 1st round picks at LT?), but we have consistently failed to run effectively in short-yardage situations. Every time I see us try to pull a lineman in 3rd and 2, I want to scream. Our lineman are typically bigger, and more physical than the guy lined up across from him. Put a body on him, hold a block for 2 seconds, and have a back hit the hole quick. It's not rocket science. When you try to pull a lineman into 5he hole on short yardage, you are just adding congestion. Not to mention that a quicker DL will just follow the pulling lineman into the backfield. Pulling line.an is great when you are asking them to clean up the second level of the defense. You don't need to worry about the second level if you only need 2 yards.

My two cents...
Is this your perception, or fact? Everyone always complains about the times ND fails to get a 3rd and 2, but forget all of the time they get it.

Last year ND converted on 3rd or 4th and short 78.3% of the time, 23rd in the nation. Alabama was 6th at 82.6%. Not much difference.

ND converted nearly 4 out of 5 times, one of the top 20% in the nation, and that isn't good enough.

In 2017 they were 71.4%. 2016 it was 76.2%, 16th in the nation, better than Alabama who was at 75%.

But this is besides the point really, as you don't have to be amazing at 3rd and short to be a great team, nor does being great at it make you great.

Last year Memphis was #1 in the nation at 93.1% and went 8-6. Army is always near the top as well.

But you can also be bad at 3rd and short and still be a great team. Here are Clemson's rank in that catergory:

2018 86th
2017 38th
2016 95th
2015 5th
2014 126th

They still manage to be alright as a program.
Old 09-15-2019, 05:12 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifth Horseman View Post
You guys know we won by 52 points, right?
Yes but that is NOT going to continue if we don’t get some more consistent line play especially in short yardage situations when we face better competition. I think that is what everyone is concerned with here.
Old 09-15-2019, 06:25 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND_JACK View Post
Yes but that is NOT going to continue if we don’t get some more consistent line play especially in short yardage situations when we face better competition. I think that is what everyone is concerned with here.
I would just like to see us fire off the line and get some push. When you outweigh the guy in front of you by at least 30 lbs, that's what I would expect. What will happen when you meet a defensive line as big and as fast as your guys are? I guess we will find out next week.
Old 09-16-2019, 10:49 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHKENLIFER View Post
I would just like to see us fire off the line and get some push. When you outweigh the guy in front of you by at least 30 lbs, that's what I would expect. What will happen when you meet a defensive line as big and as fast as your guys are? I guess we will find out next week.
Offensive lines are always bigger than defensive lines. An average NFL OL is 315. Average DE is 278. DT is 308. That's 30-40 pounds on the edges and NFL teams don't just line up and get 3 yards at will. To suggest a college team should is crazy. And it isn't always just a one on one battle. The defense has 7 guys in place to stop the run. The OL has 5 players. To suggest it is always the fault of the offensive line is too simple. If eveyone on the OL just fires off and blocks the guy in front of them 5 yards down field, there are still 2 LB to tackle the ball unblocked, plus a safety most likely if it's 3rd and short.

Last edited by corysold; 09-16-2019 at 10:51 PM.