Notre Dame Football News And Talk  

Come check out the news feed! DD Front Page

Go Back   Notre Dame Football News And Talk > Message Board > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 01-02-2019, 02:29 PM
Domer Domain All American

Default Bk on the bucs list

https://twitter.com/670TheScore/stat...622738945?s=19

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 01-02-2019, 03:59 PM
Administrator
Domer Domain Legend

https://670thescore.radio.com/brian-...AdkM4LDtmra8qg

"
If we were in the wild, I would attack u. Even if u werenít in my food chain, I would go out of my way to attack u!" ~Manti Teo

Old 01-02-2019, 04:40 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedsterX View Post
Interesting quote that I am not sure that all would agree with:

Quote:
Kellyís offensive reputation for getting the most of his quarterbacks with tough love surely appeals to the Glazers
Old 01-02-2019, 05:37 PM
Administrator
Domer Domain Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown_9999 View Post
Interesting quote that I am not sure that all would agree with:
Yea, that stood out to me as well.

"
If we were in the wild, I would attack u. Even if u werenít in my food chain, I would go out of my way to attack u!" ~Manti Teo

Old 01-02-2019, 05:48 PM

Would make sense as a logical start over point. Likely a little bit of a backslide year anyway coming up(defensive graduation) we'll see..

Keep That Fighting Spirit

"Let me see you disrespect me now, when my face is to ya" Lou Holtz

Resident video nerd and DomerDomain MVP since 2011
Old 01-02-2019, 06:03 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Hail Mary full of grace
Please let this be true
Amen
Old 01-02-2019, 06:07 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndmike88 View Post
Hail Mary full of grace
Please let this be true
Amen
And who, at this stage, would you want as HC

Old 01-02-2019, 06:18 PM
Domer Domain Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synoptico View Post
I don't necessarily want him to go, but at the same time this would be a pretty decent time for it to happen. Recruiting class secured and strong nucleus back next year would at least give ND more options in terms of being an attractive spot for some established coaches. Much better situation than say a scenario like the dumpster fire after Davie. Say what you want about Kelly, but he has at least shown you can still win at ND.
Old 01-02-2019, 06:24 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Those in the know say BK wont even get an interview. Sounds like a ploy to get more money and an extension. Doubt he goes anywhere.
Old 01-02-2019, 06:38 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDUB View Post
I don't necessarily want him to go, but at the same time this would be a pretty decent time for it to happen. Recruiting class secured and strong nucleus back next year would at least give ND more options in terms of being an attractive spot for some established coaches. Much better situation than say a scenario like the dumpster fire after Davie. Say what you want about Kelly, but he has at least shown you can still win at ND.
My point is that this isnt a good time to be looking for a coach. I agree about recruits being locked up but what is the market like?

Matt Campbell?

Old 01-02-2019, 06:44 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

His name was on a list. That's it.

Absolutely no indication that teams are reaching out to him or vice versa.
Old 01-02-2019, 06:52 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
That decision is not my call. Kelly has proven he can't take the Irish any further. It's time for him to move on.
Old 01-02-2019, 06:57 PM
Domer Domain Freshman

Quote:
My point is that this isnt a good time to be looking for a coach. I agree about recruits being locked up but what is the market like?

Matt Campbell?
Yeah I know there probably isn't a realistic established big name guarantee out there. I guess I'm just on team indifferent when it comes to Kelly leaving or staying. In my mind Notre Dame will never win another championship unless they get lucky with that next great young coach before he's a hot commodity. Dilemma there is you have to take a risk on someone which isn't going to always go over well with a fan base.
Old 01-02-2019, 06:59 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
That decision is not my call. Kelly has proven he can't take the Irish any further. It's time for him to move on.
Iím sure Kelly would hop on the first NFL offer he got, unfortunately no NFL teams are that stupid.

The NFL was wants an innovative offensive mind like Riley and Kingsbury. I donít even know what Kellyís scheme is? we have a handful of run plays, the wide receiver screen and Books back shoulder throw to Boykin. Heís never had an identity and heís never done one thing great or seemed innovative in the least.

Still think the guys like Campbell and Fleck are on the list. I also think weíve won enough where we can snag power 5 coaches whoís schools have no playoff shot.
Old 01-02-2019, 07:23 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Amazing to me how fast people forget the Weis, Davie, Willingham era and are ready to run a coach out after going 12-1. To each their own.

Old 01-02-2019, 07:41 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDUB View Post
I canít argue with that. Iíll underatand if he leaves, but Iím almost certain he wonít make it past Yr 3.
Old 01-02-2019, 07:43 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndomer4 View Post
Iím sure Kelly would hop on the first NFL offer he got, unfortunately no NFL teams are that stupid.

The NFL was wants an innovative offensive mind like Riley and Kingsbury. I donít even know what Kellyís scheme is? we have a handful of run plays, the wide receiver screen and Books back shoulder throw to Boykin. Heís never had an identity and heís never done one thing great or seemed innovative in the least.

Still think the guys like Campbell and Fleck are on the list. I also think weíve won enough where we can snag power 5 coaches whoís schools have no playoff shot.
Campbell would be my #1 target, but I donít want to lose both Coordinators. Itís a tough balancing act, bc 99% of the time, new coaches clean house.
Old 01-02-2019, 07:44 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Yeah, that’s really smart. Run out a coach who just took the team to playoff and replace him with “I don’t know” what a stupid comment.
Old 01-02-2019, 07:51 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Amazing to me how fast people forget the Weis, Davie, Willingham era and are ready to run a coach out after going 12-1. To each their own.
Agreed. Be careful what one wishes for.

I do agree Kelly has taken this as far as he can. Unless the admins take some chances on borderline kids (which isn't going to happen), this is might be as far as it can go.

It's not a binary proposition. I would not be totally heartbroken if he left if I had an idea of what the plan is. But offering to gleefully help the guy move out is shortsighted.
Old 01-02-2019, 08:10 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamshaBua View Post
Agreed. Be careful what one wishes for.

I do agree Kelly has taken this as far as he can. Unless the admins take some chances on borderline kids (which isn't going to happen), this is might be as far as it can go.

It's not a binary proposition. I would not be totally heartbroken if he left if I had an idea of what the plan is. But offering to gleefully help the guy move out is shortsighted.
Not only that, but look at where the program is now vs Weis' last year... facility wise, recruiting wise, national notarity wise.

Before him there was no field turf, training table, stadium renovation, locker room renovation, new indoor facility, etc etc etc

Old 01-02-2019, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Not only that, but look at where the program is now vs Weis' last year... facility wise, recruiting wise, national notarity wise.

Before him there was no field turf, training table, stadium renovation, locker room renovation, new indoor facility, etc etc etc
Weis actually started the training table but I agree with your overall point. I dont believe being better then ty davie and weis warrants a lifetime contract but i dont think this is the time to be dancing if he leaves without knowing who his replacement might be. But sounds like him leaving is a long shot from reports out there since this surfaced
Old 01-02-2019, 08:41 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Iíd keep him around next season just to see has he finally turned the corner. But, at some point, you canít be scared to try to move ahead. This canít be a John Cooper or Bo Schembeckler situation. Winning a bunch a games but canít take us over the top.
Old 01-02-2019, 08:44 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Quote:
There isn't a coach in CFB who could take such a hamstrung program further than an appearance in the playoffs. Considering the way competition, advantages, glitz, and glamour fuel the CFB championship race these days, you should simply accept that the days of ND titles are long gone unless the institution stooped to the same level (they won't).

Even I can set aside my personal distaste for BK long enough to soak up that fact.

If BK can notch double digit wins year in and year out (1st time he's done that 2 years in a row, btw) then I'd be fine with that.

Tallying 7-8 wins (or fewer) with the talent, resources, flexibility, power, and money ND has, however, is inexcusable.

But that didn't happen this year. Be thankful for a top 5 finish because there isn't a program in the top 10 that has anywhere near the restrictions we do...
"If a believer demands that I, as a nonbeliever, observe his taboos in the public domain, he is not asking for my respect, but for my submission. And that is incompatible with a secular democracy." - Flemming Rose

Last edited by echo88; 01-02-2019 at 08:47 PM.
Old 01-02-2019, 08:47 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:

Isn't 670's Haugh a former reporter for SBT, who covered ND?
Don't like his opinion at the end: "College football pushing its early signing date back to Dec. 19 this year changes the dynamic concerning Kellyís candidacy and his availability to interview. Notre Dame signed 21 recruits last month in a class ranked 13th in the country, but many close to the program expect a dropoff in 2019." What?
Old 01-02-2019, 08:59 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Irish View Post
Isn't 670's Haugh a former reporter for SBT, who covered ND?
Don't like his opinion at the end: "College football pushing its early signing date back to Dec. 19 this year changes the dynamic concerning Kelly’s candidacy and his availability to interview. Notre Dame signed 21 recruits last month in a class ranked 13th in the country, but many close to the program expect a dropoff in 2019." What?
Hold your horses on this:

Tampa Bay Times' Rick Stroud passes along that Notre Dame HC Brian Kelly is not a candidate for the Buccaneers job.
Earlier on Wednesday, 670 The Score's David Haugh -- who also contributes to the Chicago Tribune -- reported that Kelly was a "coach of interest" for the Buccaneers. It looks like that might not be the case, or might not be the case to a notable degree. Stroud hears from sources close to Tampa's hiring process that Kelly is not among the coaches the Bucs are seriously targeting.

Last edited by Jersey Irish; 01-02-2019 at 09:04 PM.
Closed Thread