Notre Dame Football News And Talk  

Come check out the news feed! DD Front Page

Go Back   Notre Dame Football News And Talk > Message Board > Recruiting Board

Old 06-05-2019, 06:31 AM
Domer Domain All American

Last edited by Big23Head; 06-05-2019 at 06:44 AM.

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 06-05-2019, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golson5 View Post
That does not sound too good for us. He may not visit again before he decides and I havent seen anyone who thinks we lead as of now. We need to get him back on campus before he decides. Looks like OSU right now
Yeah, I agree with this. I think if people had no clue where he may be leaning then it would be good for ND. At this point, getting him on campus for a gameday experience seems vital. He clearly wants to decide quickly.

DB recruiting in general is odd/interesting. Right now, it appears us fans will really have to trust the staff and Bill Rees group with scouting. Much easier said than done in most cases. Morant seems to be leaning Big Ten but has a long way to go, which is good for ND IMO. For some reason Jerrin Thompson's visit was pushed and he appears ok with that as he moved his announcement. Ransom is going to be a very hard pull but this weekend will go a long way to figuring that out. Do Cameron Martinez, RJ Moten, and Eric Reed Jr. have real interest and will they visit? William Nixon as a DB option? It better not turn out like Joe Wilkins because they need DBs not WRs that might be DBs. Then the rest of the DB group are lower level guys with strong potential but how many of those types are you willing to take right now? To me, ND now wants to take DB recruiting into the fall and will need another strong season to convince some solid guys to join. That could change of course if Ransom and Phillips decide to choose ND this summer but that isn't the current feel.

WR recruiting is starting to clear up and upcoming visits will further that clarity. Simon is also taking several visits in the next few weeks, maybe ND will know more about whether they take a LB or not by then too. Several visitors have been adjusted or canceled and I've adjusted the main board on the first page of this thread accordingly. There is still a good group of visitors coming in this month. For this week ND has:

Spring Unofficial visit, [6/5]:

PA OL Michael Carmody (Offer)

Spring Official visit, [6/8]:

MD DL Mitchell Melton (Offer)
AZ S Lathan Ransom (Offer)
IL WR AJ Henning (Offer)
NJ CB Clarence Lewis (Offer)
MS CB Caleb Offord (Offer)
MD CB Jordan Addison (Offer)

Last edited by Big23Head; 06-05-2019 at 07:59 PM.
Old 06-06-2019, 12:07 AM
Domer Domain Junior

I always feel better about these visit weekends when we have a few commits making the trip as well. That doesn't look to be the case this weekend, but hopefully we make a big impression on a few of these guys anyway.
Old 06-06-2019, 01:00 AM

Old 06-08-2019, 05:22 AM

FYI, Morant eliminated ND

Not sure if this kid will visit or not (at Ole Miss this weekend) but it would be a nice surprise

Last edited by Big23Head; 06-08-2019 at 05:34 AM.
Old 06-08-2019, 05:28 AM

Lots of guys are visiting ND this weekend to camp. The 2020 and 2021 classes primarily. 2020 guys include WR Jay Brunelle, DB Alaka'i Gilman (Alohi's brother), DB Tevin Griffey (Ken Griffey's son), and DB Jairo Faverus (trains at PPI in Europe like Alexander Ehrensberger). More info here: 247: Ton of talent heading to Notre Dame for the Irish Invasion
Old 06-08-2019, 03:35 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big23Head View Post
Lots of guys are visiting ND this weekend to camp. The 2020 and 2021 classes primarily. 2020 guys include WR Jay Brunelle, DB Alaka'i Gilman (Alohi's brother), DB Tevin Griffey (Ken Griffey's son), and DB Jairo Faverus (trains at PPI in Europe like Alexander Ehrensberger). More info here: 247: Ton of talent heading to Notre Dame for the Irish Invasion
I know that the writers have to write a blurb about a fair number of prospects so they will often reuse phrasing but this seems a little too formulaic.
Quote:
Grand Rapids (Mich.) Catholic Central wide receiver Jace Williams is another 2021 recruit with an impressive offer list. Central Michigan, Kentucky, Nebraska, Toledo and Western Michigan have already offered the 6-3, 185-pounder.
While Big 10 and SEC offers are legit, not sure that Central Michigan, Toledo, and Western Michigan make his offer list "impressive". Perhaps qualifying it by saying something like "Catholic Central wide receiver Jace Williams is another 2021 recruit with an impressive early offer list.
Old 06-09-2019, 03:47 PM

Hey guys, apologies for my inactivity the last few weeks. Was out of the country with my wife.

I have my June class prediction however.

QB: Pyne
RB: Tyree
WR: Johnson, Watts. Still rolling with Henning as well. If they add a fourth obviously McMillan is the guy they really want, but keep an eye on Jay Brunelle.
TE: Mayer, Bauman
OL: Baker, Carmody, Atteberry (if they take 3)
DT: Mills, Keanaaina
DE: Ehrensberger, Botelho, Melton
LB: if they take one it will be Simon
S: Greene, Moten
CB: Lewis and I think they convince Nixon. For the last spot obviously the hope is for Phillips or another guy becoming interested again with a strong season, but if not Jenkins, Offord, Bartleson etc. are guys they will look to.
LS: Peitsch
ATH: Coleman

As always, recruiting is so fluid more guys will come into the mix, old names will emerge, etc.
Old 06-09-2019, 05:13 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by LasVegasIrish View Post
Hey guys, apologies for my inactivity the last few weeks. Was out of the country with my wife.

I have my June class prediction however.

QB: Pyne
RB: Tyree
WR: Johnson, Watts. Still rolling with Henning as well. If they add a fourth obviously McMillan is the guy they really want, but keep an eye on Jay Brunelle.
TE: Mayer, Bauman
OL: Baker, Carmody, Atteberry (if they take 3)
DT: Mills, Keanaaina
DE: Ehrensberger, Botelho, Melton
LB: if they take one it will be Simon
S: Greene, Moten
CB: Lewis and I think they convince Nixon. For the last spot obviously the hope is for Phillips or another guy becoming interested again with a strong season, but if not Jenkins, Offord, Bartleson etc. are guys they will look to.
LS: Peitsch
ATH: Coleman

As always, recruiting is so fluid more guys will come into the mix, old names will emerge, etc.
Interesting in that what looks to be ND's top two recruits for CB are three star WRS who ND thinks will be better on the defensive side of the ball.
Old 06-09-2019, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown_9999 View Post
Interesting in that what looks to be ND's top two recruits for CB are three star WRS who ND thinks will be better on the defensive side of the ball.
I think CB is the hardest position to gauge coming out of HS. So many athletes that can become very good corners if they choose to or move over. Also a lot of raw athletes. Lotta top corners come in as three stars. I feel like more so than many other positions. Personally, thatís the one position group I have no problem taking bodies that have the potential and not worrying about star rankings.
Old 06-10-2019, 04:00 AM

Camped at Irish invasions today.

Old 06-10-2019, 04:07 AM

Old 06-10-2019, 06:22 AM

Will be interesting if this is true, apparently a UW-ND battle

Old 06-10-2019, 06:59 AM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Will be interesting if this is true, apparently a UW-ND battle

Is that McMillan?
Old 06-10-2019, 12:11 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Does Alaka'i Gilman have an offer?
Old 06-10-2019, 12:45 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Cam Large eliminated ND does that mean full court press on Melton?
Old 06-10-2019, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golson5 View Post
Is that McMillan?
My fault, yes this is Jalen McMillan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Captain 19 View Post
Does Alaka'i Gilman have an offer?
He does not currently have an offer. He attended Irish Invasion yesterday hoping to earn one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Captain 19 View Post
Cam Large eliminated ND does that mean full court press on Melton?
ND hasn't been pushing hard with him for a bit. Also, FWIW, I believe his top 4 are recruiting him as a TE. Had Mills chosen elsewhere I think they would have pushed for him at DE.
Old 06-10-2019, 04:52 PM

CA WR Jalen McMillan: This appears to be a UW-ND battle. Will it end soon? Would be huge to get him with Johnson

IL WR AJ Henning: ND-MI-UGA battle at the moment with MI probably on top. He enjoys the recruiting game. Most recently said he will announce before the season.

NV WR Rome Odunze: Not sure here, probably UW. The offer occurred, apparent excitement, then all quiet.

NE WR Xavier Watts: ND should know more this month with the visit, sounds like Nebraska is upping the pressure.

MA WR Jay Brunelle: He got the ND offer he wanted. Truly committable right now, not sure. Maybe it pressures Henning and Watts?

PA OL Michael Carmody: OSU just got an OL commit, maybe they are out now. This should be figured out fairly quickly I think.

CO OL Reece Atteberry: Multiple visits coming for him this month and he should be able to decide.

MD DL Mitchell Melton: Had the ND visit and now has Michigan and OSU. Should know but the season begins.

NJ LB Cody Simon: Likely going elsewhere. Visiting several other schools.

CA CB Clark Phillips III: I think he is all OSU this month. If ND gets him to wait until fall then maybe they have a shot.

LA CB Eric Reed Jr.: Unless he visits in the next few weeks I think his top 5 no longer has ND. I've eliminated him from the board.

MI CB Cameron Martinez: He is supposed to visit several school including ND then decide. As of today I would not pick ND.

MS CB Caleb Offord: ND looks in great position with him. These next round of CB visitors should only help clarify.

KY CB Landen Bartleson: Unclear as to the pecking order of CBs, these visits should clarify.

NJ CB Clarence Lewis: Could be the next commit. Sounds like he loved the visit and his schedule may be changing.

MD CB Jordan Addison: Grade issues but a guy ND likes, time will tell.

CA S Lathan Ransom: Feels like he ends up at Texas or LSU right now. As the least he will likely decide soon and ND can move on.

TX S Jerrin Thompson: Fall visits will be the answer to this one.

VA S Malcolm Greene: Visiting very soon and hopefully his interest continues to grow.

NJ S RJ Moten: Heard that he was visiting but haven't seen anything solid since. Wait and see.

VA S Elijah Gaines: Not sure that ND is pushing hard or at all here. I've eliminated him from the board.

FL S Lovie Jenkins: He got a Miami offer and that may have changed things. Either way he visits soon and answers should be found.

NY ATH Cullen Coleman: I think ND lands him this summer.

TX ATH William Nixon: Does he want to play WR or DB. His visit to ND will figure that out. If it's WR then ND likely out.

Last edited by Big23Head; 06-10-2019 at 08:03 PM.
Old 06-10-2019, 09:44 PM

FYI, I'd say Nebraska, ND, Michigan are the main teams

Old 06-10-2019, 10:24 PM

Quote:
I think CB is the hardest position to gauge coming out of HS. So many athletes that can become very good corners if they choose to or move over. Also a lot of raw athletes. Lotta top corners come in as three stars. I feel like more so than many other positions. Personally, thatís the one position group I have no problem taking bodies that have the potential and not worrying about star rankings.
FWIW, I looked up the 2016-2018 drafts for DBs in the first round. 7 were 5 stars, 6 were 2-3 stars and 4 were solid 4 stars. I agree it is a tough position to project especially when you have guys like Jalen Elliot, Kristian Story, etc. that play QB and other positions for their high school teams. It would be nice to have a mix of stars though haha, because right now ND is taking on the chin in DB recruiting from the stars perspective. Last years mix was perfect IMO.
Old 06-10-2019, 11:15 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
FWIW, I looked up the 2016-2018 drafts for DBs in the first round. 7 were 5 stars, 6 were 2-3 stars and 4 were solid 4 stars. I agree it is a tough position to project especially when you have guys like Jalen Elliot, Kristian Story, etc. that play QB and other positions for their high school teams. It would be nice to have a mix of stars though haha, because right now ND is taking on the chin in DB recruiting from the stars perspective. Last years mix was perfect IMO.
To be sure it's a difficult position to recruit for us. We need bodies, and I am not particular about the stars right now. The main reason for that is what we have been recruiting along the DL. A strong, fast, and disruptive DL can be a secondaries best friend where a "lower rated" DB can look like a stud covering a WR just long enough for the DL to pressure the QB.
Old 06-11-2019, 01:20 AM

Quote:
And to be fair, I didnít necessarily mean only three stars. I think itís a position thatís hard to gauge. So like you said, pure athletes coming in that might have positional flexibility. Russell comes to mind. I know the staff sees Nixon as a possible really good corner and I like his potential a ton. Watts has the ability to play on that side of the ball. That kinda recruit. A couple high upside 3 star types donít both me either. But Iíll be honest, I donít care much about where the guys were drafted. Iíll take a third round Julian Love all day haha.
Old 06-11-2019, 06:01 AM

Quote:
And to be fair, I didnít necessarily mean only three stars. I think itís a position thatís hard to gauge. So like you said, pure athletes coming in that might have positional flexibility. Russell comes to mind. I know the staff sees Nixon as a possible really good corner and I like his potential a ton. Watts has the ability to play on that side of the ball. That kinda recruit. A couple high upside 3 star types donít both me either. But Iíll be honest, I donít care much about where the guys were drafted. Iíll take a third round Julian Love all day haha.
I agree. I didn't mean my post as a star gazer but moreso that I hope they can land a mix. My point with the draft is that there is a very solid mix and it not dominated by high school evals of 5 star. Taking all guys that are DB/WR flexible means your evals better be spot on and like we've stated DB evals aren't easy. Therefore, ND landing a guy like Phillips to mix in would be ideal especially with his profile fit. They just don't seem to be winning or gaining traction with those level of guys right now.
Old 06-11-2019, 01:43 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
For what it is worth, 41% of first round DB draft picks were 5 stars yet less then 2% of recruits are 5 stars. Per the numbers, you want 5 star recruits if you can get them since 2 out of 5 will be first round draft picks.
Old 06-11-2019, 09:53 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Surprised Carmody hasnt committed yet