Notre Dame Football News And Talk  

Come check out the news feed! DD Front Page

Go Back   Notre Dame Football News And Talk > Message Board > General Discussion

Old 10-18-2019, 03:19 AM
Domer Domain Junior

Default Stanford looks like sh!t

Good God

Losing to UCLA AT HOME!

Game is being played with all the enthusiasm of a dentist office visit.

What’s gone so horribly wrong out there? Is football politically incorrect, too, now?

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 10-18-2019, 03:53 AM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Goblin View Post
Good God

Losing to UCLA AT HOME!

Game is being played with all the enthusiasm of a dentist office visit.

Whatís gone so horribly wrong out there? Is football politically incorrect, too, now?
Shawís recruiting has been poor for a while now. Itís really starting to show on the field. I canít believe they beat Washington.
Old 10-18-2019, 04:03 AM
Domer Domain All American

I don't know but it usually starts with recruiting. I know they have not landed an Andrew Luck in awhile. David Shaw just doesn't come with the same name recognition as Jim Harbaugh.

Brian Kelly suffered with this for awhile as well when Urban Meyer moved into his backyard. Now their coach is Ryan Day and we just got a high level WR commitment from Ohio the other day in the class of '21.

In a west without a top 3 big named coach its surprising that recruiting hasn't helped Stanford more.

Harbaugh could have ruled the weak west had he not been lured to the NFL.

Keep That Fighting Spirit

"Let me see you disrespect me now, when my face is to ya" Lou Holtz

Resident video nerd and DomerDomain MVP since 2011
Old 10-18-2019, 04:47 AM
Domer Domain Veteran

Iíve been waiting for this ship to sink for awhile. I never thought Shaw was that great of a x and oís coach. I was just waiting for Harbaughs guys to leave. It took awhile but we are seeing it now. He was lucky that Mcaffrey landed in his lap. And Love was waiting in the wings. He also had a freshman or sophomore in Hogan and I canít remember the other. Either way, Shaw had talent lined up for about 5 years that Harbaugh left him. Those guys helped with younger guys and so on. But once all semblance of Harbaugh and the guys he coached were gone, bye bye Stanford.
They arenít a as big, they arenít as talented and they arenít as mean on defense. Just not the same Stanford team as years past.
Old 10-18-2019, 04:53 AM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Not discounting any of the above but I donít know if any of you realize they are really banged up on the injury front. They are on their 3rd string qb, their TE is out along with their rb and a couple key defensive players
Old 10-18-2019, 12:59 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Gloves View Post
Not discounting any of the above but I donít know if any of you realize they are really banged up on the injury front. They are on their 3rd string qb, their TE is out along with their rb and a couple key defensive players
True enough. The poor recruiting has killed their depth. Keep in mind though that USC smoked them when Stanford was mostly healthy in week 2.
Old 10-18-2019, 02:04 PM

I couldnít even keep the game on. It was soooo quiet. Almost like watching a crappy high school game. Never thought Shaw was that good either.
Old 10-18-2019, 04:18 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Doesn't Stanford have something like 6 lineman out for the season - starting 2 true freshman. Sometimes circumstances are outside your control.

A few years ago ND lost a boat load of starters and players in the 2 deep. Team played tough but only so much can be done. Fans were wimps and cried like babies.

Stanford can still be dangerous.
Old 10-18-2019, 04:22 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domer Dude View Post
Doesn't Stanford have something like 6 lineman out for the season - starting 2 true freshman. Sometimes circumstances are outside your control.

A few years ago ND lost a boat load of starters and players in the 2 deep. Team played tough but only so much can be done. Fans were wimps and cried like babies.

Stanford can still be dangerous.
I'm pretty sure that their 6th OL is a converted DL and their 7th OL is a TE. Really no depth up front.

Nobody is happier to see Stanford struggle than me - I really don't like Shaw - but it is really difficult to recruit there. They make ND look like Bama in terms of being able to go after recruits. I think the recruiting calendar moving up the past few years really hurts them as well because not a lot of HS football recruits can get admitted to Stanford that early. It was amazing that they were pulling in 5-star talent just a few classes ago.

It would have been nice to have Thomas Booker and Paulson Adebo on ND's defense though.
Old 10-18-2019, 04:46 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

As others have said they’ve been absolutely decimated by injuries on the offensive side of the ball. On top of the o-line injuries they were also playing their 3rd string QB. So there’s an excuse there, defensively though they’re pretty healthy but equally as bad. To me that’s where they’ve really gone downhill over the past 3 seasons. When Stanford was really rolling they played extremely physical on defense, they’ve seemed to have lost that and it shows in the results. They give up a ton of big plays through the air and ground. It’s almost shocking how soft they are up front now.

Last edited by Big Dog 816; 10-18-2019 at 05:15 PM.
Old 10-18-2019, 10:01 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Im sure when they keep it close against us, it will be because "they always play us hard"...lol
"If a believer demands that I, as a nonbeliever, observe his taboos in the public domain, he is not asking for my respect, but for my submission. And that is incompatible with a secular democracy." - Flemming Rose
Old 10-18-2019, 10:47 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Given stanfords play, what game will be our biggest obstacle to 11-1 after michigan?

is it still Michigan and then a so so Stanford?

aloha
Old 10-19-2019, 01:21 AM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiirish View Post
Given stanfords play, what game will be our biggest obstacle to 11-1 after michigan?

aloha
At Duke. Va Tech and BC are trash, and Navy will probably be a pest, but their D blows.
Old 10-19-2019, 04:05 AM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiirish View Post

aloha
Michigan will be by far our toughest game left. It may not be the ďclosestĒ but it will be the toughest. They will be out for blood against us in a night game. Guarantee we will get their best shot.
Old 10-19-2019, 01:27 PM

I actually think Duke will be tougher. Took a look at next yearís schedule... Shouldnít have done that. Iíll just appreciate our success this year and not think about next year.
Old 10-19-2019, 01:35 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishwavend View Post
I actually think Duke will be tougher. Took a look at next yearís schedule... Shouldnít have done that. Iíll just appreciate our success this year and not think about next year.
There are two hard games next year. One is at home. I donít think itís some crazy gauntlet.
Old 10-19-2019, 09:21 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by corysold View Post
There are two hard games next year. One is at home. I donít think itís some crazy gauntlet.
Yeah I looked at it. Not too bad at all
Old 10-19-2019, 09:31 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by golson5 View Post
Yeah I looked at it. Not too bad at all
I would say more land mines than anything else. Lots of tricky games that ND should still win.
Old 10-20-2019, 02:54 AM
Administrator
Domer Domain Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Gloves View Post
Michigan will be by far our toughest game left. It may not be the ďclosestĒ but it will be the toughest. They will be out for blood against us in a night game. Guarantee we will get their best shot.
After watching them losing to PSU, I think Georgia would have been our toughest. Michigan looks awful!

"
If we were in the wild, I would attack u. Even if u werenít in my food chain, I would go out of my way to attack u!" ~Manti Teo