Notre Dame Football News And Talk  

Come check out the news feed! DD Front Page

Go Back   Notre Dame Football News And Talk > Message Board > General Discussion

Old 10-01-2019, 02:16 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Default Looks like Green for the USC Game

Just received an email abotu wearing green and also included a green jersey. Could be marketing, but i would bet on green jerseys.

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 10-01-2019, 04:24 PM
Domer Domain All American

Seems unnecessary... I guess we're asking for a loss.
Old 10-01-2019, 07:55 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Why don't they hand me a green shirt when I walk in. I'm sure that they have the funds to give fans a five dollar shirt.
Old 10-01-2019, 08:45 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyD View Post
Why don't they hand me a green shirt when I walk in. I'm sure that they have the funds to give fans a five dollar shirt.
Iíve always wondered how they do it at other places.
Place a shirt on a seat? Have tables at the entrances where people choose a size? Has anyone ever gone to a game where there was a true ďwhite outĒ (pick whatever color; white is just what I envision due to Penn State)?
Old 10-01-2019, 11:40 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Gruene View Post
I’ve always wondered how they do it at other places.
Place a shirt on a seat? Have tables at the entrances where people choose a size? Has anyone ever gone to a game where there was a true “white out” (pick whatever color; white is just what I envision due to Penn State)?
They do that for basketball games because the arena is smaller, but I don't think they do it for football games. It's easy for Penn State to have a white out or Georgia to be all red because those are the team colors. ND has blue, gold, green, white, etc. Georgia has one color (unless they decide to wear black jerseys and have a blackout). Penn State can just advertise that their game against Michigan is a white out and 95% of their fans will wear white.

I used to defend ND fans and the stadium environment because I have personally experienced some great environments over the years (USC '05, USC '11, Michigan '14, Michigan '18 ), but that is basically once a year for the biggest game. Teams like Penn State, Georgia, Oregon, LSU - they do it virtually every week. I don't know what the solution is - I thought the "Irish Wear Green" campaign leading up to Michigan was actually pretty successful and the environment was great - but ND is not an intimidating place to play for opposing teams. I wasn't there, but I heard that you could hear a pin drop throughout the first half against UVA. That's a Top 20 team and a huge game!

I love the ND gameday experience and think that it's one of the best - if not the best - in all of college football, but the actual game experience doesn't hold a candle to some other places.
Old 10-02-2019, 01:56 AM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Got a green towel once...
Old 10-02-2019, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketsan View Post
Got a green towel once...
I had a dirty towel that I left in the garage and turned green once.
Old 10-02-2019, 05:26 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

[quote=tneun89;725787] I wasn't there, but I heard that you could hear a pin drop throughout the first half against UVA.

I was there. And that is an exaggeration. It wasnít loud but unless you had super hero hearing you couldnít hear a pin drop. What I noticed there were a lot more really young kids like under the age of 8 with there parents. That doesnít help the cheering. Kids to young to be crazy obnoxious fans and parents donít want to shout like a crazy person in front of their kids. I wasnít brought to my first game until age 12 or 13.
Like someone said unless it is a BIG game there is not a lot of noise there. I have been a season ticket for a long time and I can count on one hand the times I could hear myself think....
Old 10-02-2019, 05:38 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by tneun89 View Post
They do that for basketball games because the arena is smaller, but I don't think they do it for football games. It's easy for Penn State to have a white out or Georgia to be all red because those are the team colors. ND has blue, gold, green, white, etc. Georgia has one color (unless they decide to wear black jerseys and have a blackout). Penn State can just advertise that their game against Michigan is a white out and 95% of their fans will wear white.

I used to defend ND fans and the stadium environment because I have personally experienced some great environments over the years (USC '05, USC '11, Michigan '14, Michigan '18 ), but that is basically once a year for the biggest game. Teams like Penn State, Georgia, Oregon, LSU - they do it virtually every week. I don't know what the solution is - I thought the "Irish Wear Green" campaign leading up to Michigan was actually pretty successful and the environment was great - but ND is not an intimidating place to play for opposing teams. I wasn't there, but I heard that you could hear a pin drop throughout the first half against UVA. That's a Top 20 team and a huge game!

I love the ND gameday experience and think that it's one of the best - if not the best - in all of college football, but the actual game experience doesn't hold a candle to some other places.
LSU isnít crazy every week. Itís half full for their annual FCS game. But itís crazy at night for Alabama or their other games. No stadium is a madhouse every week.
Old 10-02-2019, 06:23 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by corysold View Post
LSU isnít crazy every week. Itís half full for their annual FCS game. But itís crazy at night for Alabama or their other games. No stadium is a madhouse every week.
My boss just went to his first ND game experience against Virginia. He was amazed on the tailgating and the amount of tailgaters there were. He enjoyed the stadium atmosphere too. He thought the student section was loud. Maybe we need to give out more student seats? Not sure how many they give out or if thatís the answer.

I also agree that a lot of these stadiums are not crazy when they play three fcs teams. Thatís why you hear Saban bitching constantly about the stadium leaving early. Alabama also is now giving out points for any student that stays all 4 quarters. I guess they have an app to follow students at the game.
Old 10-02-2019, 06:54 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Save the green jerseys for Clemson next year!

No need to waste them on an unranked, irrelevant USC team.
Old 10-02-2019, 07:03 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltssb View Post
My boss just went to his first ND game experience against Virginia. He was amazed on the tailgating and the amount of tailgaters there were. He enjoyed the stadium atmosphere too. He thought the student section was loud. Maybe we need to give out more student seats? Not sure how many they give out or if thatís the answer.

I also agree that a lot of these stadiums are not crazy when they play three fcs teams. Thatís why you hear Saban bitching constantly about the stadium leaving early. Alabama also is now giving out points for any student that stays all 4 quarters. I guess they have an app to follow students at the game.
Every student is guaranteed access to season tickets - you just have to pay a (relatively) small fee. When I was there, I think it was like $200 for the season.
Old 10-03-2019, 01:24 AM

The entire student body is only about 10k-12k...
Old 10-08-2019, 05:46 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

I've been to a lot of home games and a few road games the last four years. This past Saturday I sat in section 11, which seemed to be a lot of older-type crowd. Apparently it is also the no fun section too. No celebrations allowed! There were several groups that tried to have fun (ie push-ups) and got shut down by the ushers. The entire stadium was doing push-ups, except the sections between the 30's. If the ushers keep that up, there will never be a true home field advantage. And how bout some spontaneous crowd motivation. The video board plays frickin commercials for the university. It's great work, but I don't care who is drilling a well in a third world country when I'm at a football game. Screw those damn videos and get the crowd involved. The guy behind me said "Hey look, a football game broke out at a funeral".