Notre Dame Football News And Talk  

Come check out the news feed! DD Front Page

Go Back   Notre Dame Football News And Talk > Message Board > General Discussion

Old 09-30-2019, 08:41 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObieKnobbe View Post
Book's happy feet doesn't help their cause. There have been numerous times this season the initial pocket shrinks and instead of stepping up into the pocket Ian takes off running. They haven't been great, more very good.
How many unblocked Defenders had open shots at Book Saturday? Book shares a lot of blame, but annoys me to see the OL not getting any push back. You canít give Defenses wide open shots at the QB.

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 09-30-2019, 09:23 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishwavend View Post
So you forget how much Kizer threw it in the dirt his last year? He sucked...
The whole team sucked that year. Kizer sniffed the NFL, which is way better than most college QBs ever do. Kizer was no world-beater, but if he were the QB now, I think we'd be 4-0.
Old 09-30-2019, 10:13 PM
Domer Domain All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC-Irish View Post
The whole team sucked that year. Kizer sniffed the NFL, which is way better than most college QBs ever do. Kizer was no world-beater, but if he were the QB now, I think we'd be 4-0.
No way on 4-0... Clausen "sniffed" the NFL as well... Kizer is sniffing it at the Browns...
Old 09-30-2019, 10:26 PM
Domer Domain Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELDER06 View Post
How many unblocked Defenders had open shots at Book Saturday? Book shares a lot of blame, but annoys me to see the OL not getting any push back. You canít give Defenses wide open shots at the QB.
I completely agree with this! The O-Line was letting a lot of defenders go by unblocked, which did cause Book to get the happy feet and roll out.
Old 09-30-2019, 10:54 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldy View Post
I completely agree with this! The O-Line was letting a lot of defenders go by unblocked, which did cause Book to get the happy feet and roll out.
Some of that is the QB getting them into the right protections. No way to know if the OL isnít blocking well or if the QB is telling them to block the wrong people.
Old 09-30-2019, 10:57 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELDER06 View Post
I remember one, where Eichenberg didn't block the man on him and instead blocked an inside blitzer. However, Book calls the protections and has to deal with the resulting pass rush. So, I'm not sure if it was Eichenberg's error, or Book's. It was a mental error, not a physical one.

The fact is that Book is short and every team will concentrate on jamming up the inside rush to make Book bail, due to his inability to see downfield over 6'6" linemen. This is the book on Book and it works. You rarely see a wide pocket, because defenses are jamming the inside rush. Defenses would get punished by this, and do at times, by a running QB, but Book isn't fast enough to really punish a team. Add in that a lot of times this happens on 3rd an 10, and Book can't run for the first down. So, he bails and holds the ball and often throws to a receiver inside the yardage needed for a first down. If he had a stronger arm, he could punish teams throwing deep on the run, but he doesn't. So, Book is Book and nothing is going to improve.
Old 10-02-2019, 11:41 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishwavend View Post
No way on 4-0... Clausen "sniffed" the NFL as well... Kizer is sniffing it at the Browns...
Kizer is with the Raiders. He was with Green Bay last year, and Cleveland the year before.
Old 10-03-2019, 02:10 AM

He will be with Walmart next year. He should have stayed the extra year at ND

Tough Times Don't Last, Tough People Do!
Old 10-03-2019, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankus View Post
I remember one, where Eichenberg didn't block the man on him and instead blocked an inside blitzer. However, Book calls the protections and has to deal with the resulting pass rush. So, I'm not sure if it was Eichenberg's error, or Book's. It was a mental error, not a physical one.

The fact is that Book is short and every team will concentrate on jamming up the inside rush to make Book bail, due to his inability to see downfield over 6'6" linemen. This is the book on Book and it works. You rarely see a wide pocket, because defenses are jamming the inside rush. Defenses would get punished by this, and do at times, by a running QB, but Book isn't fast enough to really punish a team. Add in that a lot of times this happens on 3rd an 10, and Book can't run for the first down. So, he bails and holds the ball and often throws to a receiver inside the yardage needed for a first down. If he had a stronger arm, he could punish teams throwing deep on the run, but he doesn't. So, Book is Book and nothing is going to improve.
I like this analysis. Says something more about the lack of development/skills of Jurkovic. Otherwise he would and should be playing.

Old 10-03-2019, 02:16 AM

Is this whole discussion coming down to the obvious fact that we are not recruiting the right QBs and/or running the right offense?

Old 10-03-2019, 02:18 AM

Book has proven to be fine, yes hes probably hit his 3 star ceiling but hes still a very good college qb who with a good surrounding cast can consistently get double digit wins. Do I think an elite QB would take this team over the top? Maybe, but I'm not convinced hes on this team and you dont just try it out for fun when your current QB has you ranked in the top 10 and has won a helluva lot more then hes lost. And I'm not the biggest book fan at all, just being realistic
Old 10-03-2019, 03:24 AM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by goirish83 View Post
Book has proven to be fine, yes hes probably hit his 3 star ceiling but hes still a very good college qb who with a good surrounding cast can consistently get double digit wins. Do I think an elite QB would take this team over the top? Maybe, but I'm not convinced hes on this team and you dont just try it out for fun when your current QB has you ranked in the top 10 and has won a helluva lot more then hes lost. And I'm not the biggest book fan at all, just being realistic
Your thoughts on Book are sort of like my thoughts on Brian Kelly.

Best QB/Coach out there? No.

Hit his ceiling? Probably

Gotten ND to a Top 10 ranking? Yes

Lead ND to the championship? Probably not

Easily replaced in the short term? No so might as well enjoy whatever success happens this season
Old 10-03-2019, 04:10 PM
Domer Domain Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by goirish83 View Post
Didn't ND do this just last year?

The attached is a screenshot of ND fans tweeting about how bad each QB kelly has had is, and how we need the next guy. At some point isn't it obvious it's not all the individual QBs, most of whom were wanted by other big schools, it's on the coaching staff.
Attached Images
File Type: png garbage QBs.png (53.9 KB, 11 views)