Notre Dame Football News And Talk  

Come check out the news feed! DD Front Page

Go Back   Notre Dame Football News And Talk > Message Board > General Discussion

Old 09-29-2019, 12:13 AM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Default Book Ball is Boring and Ineffective

I knew we would learn a lot about this team....the defense is great...the OLINE is improving,..BOOK IS MEDIOCRE

If we had been counting on Book Ball to win this game WE WOULD HAVE LOST...

Ian hasn't looked great all year,, but this was one of his WORSE games.

He simple cannot make a play...by the 4th quarter I was expecting bad things everytime he dropped back

He leaves the pocket to quick

He is a bit careless on short throws

He has poor pocket presence

He has low confidence in his arm so he holds it too long often

When he breaks the pocket he RARELY make s a play

BOOK BALL IS BORING!!!

Yes Ian is better then Wimbush,,,,But Brandon couldn't beat out a true frosh from Hawaii at UCF so...

I think its time to let Phil play some at Bowling green …

I just DO NOT think we can win week in and week out playing Book Ball

KUDOS to our terrific defensive line...saved the game saved the season for now at least

aloha

Last edited by hawaiiirish; 09-29-2019 at 12:35 AM.

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 09-29-2019, 12:14 AM
Domer Domain Veteran

I agree with everything but in reality we only see Phil if weíre up big or Ian gets hurt.

This defence was good enough to beat Georgia on the road!!! Itís a shame this season is going to be lost because of Book.

Heís the three star everyone thought he was, he should probably be at WSU right now.
Old 09-29-2019, 12:15 AM
Domer Domain All American

No reason not to see alot of Phil vs Bowling Green. But we be committed to running the ball to support this defense.

Keep That Fighting Spirit

"Let me see you disrespect me now, when my face is to ya" Lou Holtz

Resident video nerd and DomerDomain MVP since 2011
Old 09-29-2019, 12:27 AM
Domer Domain Junior

A pattern has emerged over ten years of QBs regressing under Kelly in year 2. Year one they get limited play books and usually have a decent/good run game to help them out. Year two Kellyball takes over where he is determined to make them a Heisman winner with all the passing stats and chunk highlight plays from the QB. The offense gets thrown wide open, the run game takes a back seat, and there is little to no QB development. ND fans have critiqued the scheme and coach to death over these glaringly obvious flaws in the program. But someone refuses to acknowledge he's not the smartest guy in the room. I just came to expect it this year, par for the course.
Old 09-29-2019, 12:38 AM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndomer4 View Post
I agree with everything but in reality we only see Phil if weíre up big or Ian gets hurt.

This defence was good enough to beat Georgia on the road!!! Itís a shame this season is going to be lost because of Book.

Heís the three star everyone thought he was, he should probably be at WSU right now.
Washington State? He would be the lead leading passer and a future nfl pick if he started there.
Old 09-29-2019, 12:39 AM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiirish View Post
I knew we would learn a lot about this team....the defense is great...the OLINE is improving,..BOOK IS MEDIOCRE

If we had been counting on Book Ball to win this game WE WOULD HAVE LOST...

Ian hasn't looked great all year,, but this was one of his WORSE games.

He simple cannot make a play...by the 4th quarter I was expecting bad things everytime he dropped back

He leaves the pocket to quick

He is a bit careless on short throws

He has poor pocket presence

He has low confidence in his arm so he holds it too long often

When he breaks the pocket he RARELY make s a play

BOOK BALL IS BORING!!!

Yes Ian is better then Wimbush,,,,But Brandon couldn't beat out a true frosh from Hawaii at UCF so...

I think its time to let Phil play some at Bowling green Ö

I just DO NOT think we can win week in and week out playing Book Ball
To
KUDOS to our terrific defensive line...saved the game saved the season for now at least

aloha
How can you say the OL is improving? They were awful today. If you want to talk about regression, Eichenberg has been underwhelming all yr.

Book needs to do better not panicking in the pocket, but the OL needs to step up.
Old 09-29-2019, 12:58 AM
Domer Domain Junior

Book has a very low ceiling. His skills are average. It's time to see Phil and there is no reason why he doesn't get a lot of playing time next week. We should crush Bowling Green. No amount of more reps is going to make Book better. He is what he is and nothing is going to change.
Old 09-29-2019, 01:10 AM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankus View Post
Book has a very low ceiling. His skills are average. It's time to see Phil and there is no reason why he doesn't get a lot of playing time next week. We should crush Bowling Green. No amount of more reps is going to make Book better. He is what he is and nothing is going to change.
You donít just switch QBs hoping something happens. Jurkovec just hasnít proven himself to be any better than Book. That should be more concerning than anything.
Old 09-29-2019, 01:20 AM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELDER06 View Post
Jurkovec just hasnít proven himself to be any better than Book.
This is laughable... Kelly always hangs his hat on one dude. If youíre considering practice reps then this is nuts...
Old 09-29-2019, 01:23 AM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketsan View Post
This is laughable... Kelly always hangs his hat on one dude. If youíre considering practice reps then this is nuts...
He couldnít beat Book out in the Spring. He was horrendous in the Blue Gold game. I know unintelligent Football fans love to clamor about benching the QB when things donít go right, but the fact is Jurkovec wouldnít be any better than Book.

The OL sucks right now. You think a guy who got sacked 6-7 times in a scrimmage has the internal clock to avoid the pass rush we saw today?
Old 09-29-2019, 01:27 AM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
You donít just switch QBs hoping something happens. Jurkovec just hasnít proven himself to be any better than Book. That should be more concerning than anything.
I didn't suggest switching QB's. I said Jurkovec should get a lot of playing time in what should be a blowout.
Old 09-29-2019, 01:36 AM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankus View Post
I didn't suggest switching QB's. I said Jurkovec should get a lot of playing time in what should be a blowout.
Agree with this sentiment. Maybe letting Book sit or teach will help him out in the future. This is the perfect game to see what we have in Phil. You also donít want Book getting injured in a game like this. Book will continue to start, but Phil needs reps and live action more.

Side note, Book canít see over the line. Once pressure comes heís running to try to find clear air. Nothing he can do about it but either step up in the pocket or have a better understanding where players are.
Old 09-29-2019, 01:37 AM
Domer Domain Freshman

Bowling Green might be worse than New Mexico. Jurkovec should have some reps. He threw a beautiful pass on his first throw against New Mexico. Other than that, he was average in that game, but did not get a lot of time.
Old 09-29-2019, 01:38 AM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltssb View Post
Agree with this sentiment. Maybe letting Book sit or teach will help him out in the future. This is the perfect game to see what we have in Phil. You also donít want Book getting injured in a game like this. Book will continue to start, but Phil needs reps and live action more.

Side note, Book canít see over the line. Once pressure comes heís running to try to find clear air. Nothing he can do about it but either step up in the pocket or have a better understanding where players are.
If only ND has a 6í5Ē QB.
Old 09-29-2019, 01:42 AM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by corysold View Post
If only ND has a 6í5Ē QB.
I want Phil to be the guy. From the very limited time Iíve seen of him, he doesnít have ďit.Ē I wished he come in guns ablazing and demonstrate he can lead this Irish team.
Old 09-29-2019, 01:47 AM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
I want Phil to be the guy. From the very limited time Iíve seen of him, he doesnít have ďit.Ē I wished he come in guns ablazing and demonstrate he can lead this Irish team.
I agree but we also havenít seen enough.

I wouldnít be so fast to assume Phil is the next guy. They must like what they see in Clarke to give him basically the same amount of reps as Phil.
Old 09-29-2019, 01:48 AM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Quote:
I want Phil to be the guy. From the very limited time I’ve seen of him, he doesn’t have “it.” I wished he come in guns ablazing and demonstrate he can lead this Irish team.
The problem with Book is the same it was with Rees Vs bad teams, they look amazing because they know where to throw it and Nd out athletes the other team. But when those windows close, they can’t play well vs good teams.

I’d rather see Phil and have the potential to be great then be stuck with Book and mideiocre vs great teams.
Old 09-29-2019, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corysold View Post
The problem with Book is the same it was with Rees Vs bad teams, they look amazing because they know where to throw it and Nd out athletes the other team. But when those windows close, they canít play well vs good teams.

Iíd rather see Phil and have the potential to be great then be stuck with Book and mideiocre vs great teams.
Me too. It will be interesting if he has a Wake Forest type Epiphany this year.

Doubt it, because the defense is covering for the offense but would like to see it.

Keep That Fighting Spirit

"Let me see you disrespect me now, when my face is to ya" Lou Holtz

Resident video nerd and DomerDomain MVP since 2011
Old 09-29-2019, 01:52 AM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Is it over the years our QBs just really arenít that talented, and star ratings donít mean anything? I think of Golson and Wimbush as guys we all expected to do well, and even when they went to other teams were awful.. or is it truly Kelly or a combination? I do think we need to make things simpler and easier on the QB.
Old 09-29-2019, 02:02 AM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemoore97 View Post
A pattern has emerged over ten years of QBs regressing under Kelly in year 2. Year one they get limited play books and usually have a decent/good run game to help them out. Year two Kellyball takes over where he is determined to make them a Heisman winner with all the passing stats and chunk highlight plays from the QB. The offense gets thrown wide open, the run game takes a back seat, and there is little to no QB development. ND fans have critiqued the scheme and coach to death over these glaringly obvious flaws in the program. But someone refuses to acknowledge he's not the smartest guy in the room. I just came to expect it this year, par for the course.
Iíve been the biggest doubter of this theory across the board, but man. I canít explain it anymore. Weíve seen a confident, loose QB the stayed in the pocket slinging it around to a QB thatís so right he can hardly pull the trigger. His feet are happy, canít pull the trigger, wonít stay in the pocket. Complete opposite of what made him good last year.
Old 09-29-2019, 03:36 AM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
That's what I've been saying. I don't have any emotional attachment to Book, if I truly thought Jurkovec was better, I'd be on here stumping for him. Urban Meyer wanted him BADLY for a reason. He clearly has a vastly higher ceiling than Book, but that doesn't mean anything if he cannot put it together.
Old 09-29-2019, 06:22 AM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
That's what I've been saying. I don't have any emotional attachment to Book, if I truly thought Jurkovec was better, I'd be on here stumping for him. Urban Meyer wanted him BADLY for a reason. He clearly has a vastly higher ceiling than Book, but that doesn't mean anything if he cannot put it together.
You are a Phil hater at least own it. The only thing you ever bring up is his blue gold game. Book has looked like dogshit this year and we need to at least see what the kid is made of. How the hell is Phil going to put it together sitting on the bench? I can't wait until Phil comes in and lights it up and I can tell you to shove your blue/gold game comments you know where. Coaches all commented how far Phil came over the summer and fall so drop the blue/gold game bullshit already, he dropped a dime of a deep ball in his only action this year not something I have seen Book do in his entire career.
Old 09-29-2019, 07:47 AM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Forget about the emotional.. common sense demands we see plenty of Phil against bowling green, I expect we can take that to the bank

He needs at least a half

Ian only looked good against new mexico

Louisville, Georgia and Virginia all three performances were behind last years play that's just a fact

Plus he got hurt mid season last year,,,,thats always a looming concern

Phil needs to be ready for whatever is coming,,,next week is the PERFECT week to see how much he has improved or not

aloha

Last edited by hawaiiirish; 09-29-2019 at 09:13 AM.
Old 09-29-2019, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemoore97 View Post
Book didnít regress. He got figured out... Wimbush, Zaire & Kizer didnít regress either. They just donít progress...
Old 09-29-2019, 01:34 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

I was on here last year saying I wanted to see Phil play as a freshman. Other top schools throw their top freshmen recruits out there and play them. ND and BK are the ones stuck in the dark ages in believing you have to ďdevelopĒ them and have them sit for 2 years before they play.

If you get a highly ranked top QB prospect then put them on the field and see what they have. Iím a firm believer that there are ďpractice playersĒ and then there are ďgame playersĒ. Sometimes guys consistently look average in practice, but once the lights are on they play at a different level on game day. Conversely, there are some guys who are consistently good in practice, but canít get it done under the pressure on game day.

If Jurk truly has what it takes to be elite then put him on the field. That throw against NM told me all I need to know. He has the arm that Book doesnít have. I say play him for at least 3 quarters next week. And not just with the second string guys either! Give him his chance with the same weapons that Book gets to play with. Then letís see what we have.