Notre Dame Football News And Talk  

Come check out the news feed! DD Front Page

Go Back   Notre Dame Football News And Talk > Message Board > General Discussion

Old 09-17-2019, 08:50 AM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Default Top Eight Reasons we can beat Georgia!

I am not discounting the obvious, we rarely win a game like this , they are at home . and they have a better roster, that said there are reasons for hope.

#1 20 to 19 that was a great Georgia team , they won 13 games and lost in overtime to Alabama in the national title game. We didn't win that game but it could have gone either way. One lousy point

#2 That ND team was not any more talented then this one,, we play just as good defense and Wimbush only hit 50 per cent in that game.

#3 Book can be more effective then Brandon.... yes he hasn't been lights out yet but he has had some moments and IMO he has the skill set to move the ball better then brandon against the georgia defense.

#4 Don't fret about our sketchy run game in this matchup...josh adams could only get 50 yards against that Georgia defense....it might be a blessing in disguise to go into this knowing we need short passes, tempo , misdirection etc to move the chains and so we shouldn't waste too many possessions running into the heart of their defense and then punting. It should clarify our offensive approach.

#5 Our Dline is as good as theirs,,, defensive line means close to everything in games like this,,,and ours is primed and ready to play an elite type game...we have NFL players, depth and experience,,,, that has to be the heart of our game if we plan on winning.

#6 Turnovers...we have a defense that can create turnovers, we will need the breaks in this game , we all realize that , but we do have the kind of defense that can make some of their own breaks,,,, if we win the turn over battle 3 to 1 we can win.

#7 Punting game has been effective... if we hope to keep this a defensive struggle somewhat similar to 2017 punting will be critical....so far I have been impressed and fingers crossed we can continue to have a really effective punt game that gives us the field position win

#8 The same stats that shakes us can be our hope....we haven't beaten a top 5 team in 14 years.....during that time we have had some good teams...we have played for a title and made the playoffs.... we have a strong program and a good roster yet we have just come up short.....IF YOU SEE THE GLASS AS HALF EMPTY THEN WE ARE OUT OF OUR DEPTH,,,IF YOU SEE THE GLASS AS HALF FULL ,,,THEN WE ARE DUE!!!!

aloha

Last edited by hawaiiirish; 09-17-2019 at 09:01 AM.

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 09-17-2019, 01:37 PM
Domer Domain All American

I'd probably add two.

+6 is our turnover Margin.

Our safeties are as good as I can ever remember.

Good list Hawaii

Go Irish

Keep That Fighting Spirit

"Let me see you disrespect me now, when my face is to ya" Lou Holtz

Resident video nerd and DomerDomain MVP since 2011
Old 09-17-2019, 01:40 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

The only thing that is constant over the last 10 years under BK is that we donít win these games. Really, we donít even come close to playing well in these types of games. This is what Iím going off of and this is why I am extremely doubtful going into this game.

The other thing to remember is that the only way you win games like this against this type of Georgia team is to out tough them and be physically dominate. It isnít by being crafty and running misdirection. You have to be physical and match their toughness. We arenít that type of team on both sides of the ball. Georgia is mean, nasty, physical, and they dominate the run game. That is what you have to be in order to beat them and that is just not our makeup.

I would love nothing more than to see the Irish rise up, play well, and knock them off. I just donít see it happening.
Old 09-17-2019, 02:08 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Nice write up, Hawaii. I am also optimistic about this game. I really believe that we have only seen a very vanilla offense and defense. Kelly kind of indicated that in one of his press conferences, but not directly. Also, I cannot remember the last time we have been SOOO disrespected by the media, going back to the Alabama championship game. They don't think we belong on the same field as them. Every week, teams come and give ND their best, and push us to the limit because no one expects them to win. And yet, they show and compete much closer than expected. On any given week, one team can expectedly beat another. History repeats that over and over, week by week. Why can't we have a week like that? Well, we can! I think we will come in with a chip on our shoulder and play our hearts out. We aren't going to go in there like whipped puppies and just hand them the win. The game still has to be played. A bounce or two that goes in our favor could make the difference! I expect us to play a hard fought game and go toe to toe with Georgia. Whether we win or lose, I know I will be proud of the effort our team will put out! GO IRISH!!
Old 09-17-2019, 02:14 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Gloves View Post
The only thing that is constant over the last 10 years under BK is that we don’t win these games. Really, we don’t even come close to playing well in these types of games. This is what I’m going off of and this is why I am extremely doubtful going into this game.

The other thing to remember is that the only way you win games like this against this type of Georgia team is to out tough them and be physically dominate. It isn’t by being crafty and running misdirection. You have to be physical and match their toughness. We aren’t that type of team on both sides of the ball. Georgia is mean, nasty, physical, and they dominate the run game. That is what you have to be in order to beat them and that is just not our makeup.

I would love nothing more than to see the Irish rise up, play well, and knock them off. I just don’t see it happening.
Yep........

Last edited by cali_domer; 09-17-2019 at 02:19 PM.
Old 09-17-2019, 11:41 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

I can only think of one or two positions/coaching where we have the advantage.

Iím going to guess our defensive backfield based on our stats, however itís too early to tell and I havenít watched enough of Georgia.

The second would be our receivers and if someone said that two weeks ago Iíd think they were nuts. Granted I havenít seen enough of the Georgia receivers but Iím going to assume Claypool/McKinley are better than their 1 and 2.

I give a clear edge to Georgia in every other category. Plus their home field advantage does not help matters.

This goes one of two ways, FSU 2014 or ASU 2014.
Old 09-17-2019, 11:45 PM
Domer Domain Junior

If ND players believe they can win they will win. This game is like the Miami game of 30 years ago. Smash mouth.
Old 09-18-2019, 12:00 AM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domer Dude View Post
If ND players believe they can win they will win. This game is like the Miami game of 30 years ago. Smash mouth.
Big difference is we had a elite coach.
Old 09-18-2019, 12:15 AM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndomer4 View Post
I can only think of one or two positions/coaching where we have the advantage.

I’m going to guess our defensive backfield based on our stats, however it’s too early to tell and I haven’t watched enough of Georgia.

The second would be our receivers and if someone said that two weeks ago I’d think they were nuts. Granted I haven’t seen enough of the Georgia receivers but I’m going to assume Claypool/McKinley are better than their 1 and 2.

I give a clear edge to Georgia in every other category. Plus their home field advantage does not help matters.

This goes one of two ways, FSU 2014 or ASU 2014.
QB: UGA
RB: UGA
OL: UGA
WR/TE: ND
DL: ND
LB: UGA
DB: ND
ST: UGA
Coach: ND

Admittedly, I haven't watched much of Georgia either, just highlights and looking at the box scores, but I have been on some of their sites this week. It seems like they are weakest at DL and LB. WR was a question mark coming into the season, but it seems like they have some really talented players, including two true freshman.

I give ND the edge at WR/TE based on experience, Kmet being back (and hopefully close to 100%), and Claypool looking like a monster through two games. ND's DE group is one of the best in the country, and even though I don't think Hinish is a Top 10 DT (probably not even Top 25), I like Okwara, Kareem, and MTA, with Hayes and Ogundeji coming off the bench. DB is probably a toss up, but you have to like ND's group that includes two captains at safety, a lock down corner in Pride, and a 5-star in Hamilton.

Some on this site won't admit it, but ND also has the coaching edge. BK and Long and Lea have been great together for 2+ seasons so far. Kirby has won bigger games (SEC Title and Rose Bowl in 2017), but he has laid some eggs as well in big moments (SEC Title and a 20-point loss to LSU in 2018 ), not that ND hasn't done the same under BK.

Hopefully the lessons learned from Miami 2017 help ND start out strong. If they get down 14-0 in the 1st Quarter (or really at any point), then it's game over. If they can hold on and keep it close, then game on.

For some reason, I have a lot of confidence in Book. I think he has some confidence back after taking some shots down the field and having success against New Mexico. He has also been a real asset running the ball. ND is going to need some luck and one or two really big, momentum-shifting plays to make this a game and have a chance to win. Maybe I am too optimistic, but I think ND has more of a chance than everyone thinks.
Old 09-18-2019, 12:27 AM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tneun89 View Post
QB: UGA
RB: UGA
OL: UGA
WR/TE: ND
DL: ND
LB: UGA
DB: ND
ST: UGA
Coach: ND

Admittedly, I haven't watched much of Georgia either, just highlights and looking at the box scores, but I have been on some of their sites this week. It seems like they are weakest at DL and LB. WR was a question mark coming into the season, but it seems like they have some really talented players, including two true freshman.

I give ND the edge at WR/TE based on experience, Kmet being back (and hopefully close to 100%), and Claypool looking like a monster through two games. ND's DE group is one of the best in the country, and even though I don't think Hinish is a Top 10 DT (probably not even Top 25), I like Okwara, Kareem, and MTA, with Hayes and Ogundeji coming off the bench. DB is probably a toss up, but you have to like ND's group that includes two captains at safety, a lock down corner in Pride, and a 5-star in Hamilton.

Some on this site won't admit it, but ND also has the coaching edge. BK and Long and Lea have been great together for 2+ seasons so far. Kirby has won bigger games (SEC Title and Rose Bowl in 2017), but he has laid some eggs as well in big moments (SEC Title and a 20-point loss to LSU in 2018 ), not that ND hasn't done the same under BK.

Hopefully the lessons learned from Miami 2017 help ND start out strong. If they get down 14-0 in the 1st Quarter (or really at any point), then it's game over. If they can hold on and keep it close, then game on.

For some reason, I have a lot of confidence in Book. I think he has some confidence back after taking some shots down the field and having success against New Mexico. He has also been a real asset running the ball. ND is going to need some luck and one or two really big, momentum-shifting plays to make this a game and have a chance to win. Maybe I am too optimistic, but I think ND has more of a chance than everyone thinks.
Kelly hasn't laid his own eggs in spectacular fashion? I say coaching being genrous to ND is at best a wash.
Old 09-18-2019, 12:33 AM
Domer Domain Veteran

Tneun, I get where your coming from with the defensive line but only if your basing your evaluation off 2018. The only guy to jump off the screen for me this year has been Hayes and he’s our third guy. Hopefully Kareem and Okwara are saving it for UGA.

I am more worried about our smaller defensive tackles, along with the o line they are our weak link. Unfortunately this is not where you wanna be weak vs UGA.
Old 09-18-2019, 01:47 AM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali_domer View Post
Kelly hasn't laid his own eggs in spectacular fashion? I say coaching being genrous to ND is at best a wash.
I donít really disagree with you there. I guess Iím just a little biased with Long and Lea - really think Lea is the next big thing. But youíre right about it being more of a wash at HC, and I could even agree that Kirby has the edge given heís won a big game more recently. I just really think the staff as a whole - Lea, Long, Elston, Balis - is really really good.
Old 09-18-2019, 01:52 AM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndomer4 View Post
Tneun, I get where your coming from with the defensive line but only if your basing your evaluation off 2018. The only guy to jump off the screen for me this year has been Hayes and heís our third guy. Hopefully Kareem and Okwara are saving it for UGA.

I am more worried about our smaller defensive tackles, along with the o line they are our weak link. Unfortunately this is not where you wanna be weak vs UGA.
No doubt. Iíve been disappointed in Okwara as well. I think Kareem has actually played well - he just doesnít have the stats to back it up. Agree on Hayes but Ogundeji is right up there. I think Okwara and Kareem are going to break out and play their best game in Athens - just a feeling theyíre going to make some big plates.

Middle of the defense scares the s**t out of me. With no Coney or Tranquill to save the defense, I think Elliot and Gilman are going to have to make a couple of game saving tackles. Iím resigned to the fact that Swift will break a 70-yard TD run. I just hope itís only once and I hope itís not on the first series.
Old 09-18-2019, 02:06 AM
Domer Domain Junior

ND has the second highest rated passing offense in the country.
Old 09-18-2019, 06:54 AM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

FWIW we are 4th in the country in passing defense, our pass rush having the most to do with that,,,,Georgia is 44th and yes we played poor teams but so has Georgia,,,, Vandy Murray state Arkansas state I mean come on.

We haven't been tested but either have they

aloha
Old 09-18-2019, 12:26 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domer Dude View Post
ND has the second highest rated passing offense in the country.
4th, but even that is stretch.

Remember that ND has two 50+ yard TD passes on those little flips to the WR, which are basically handoffs. That is almost 20% of their passing yards on those two plays, which no one would really call a pass.
Old 09-18-2019, 03:53 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by corysold View Post
4th, but even that is stretch.

Remember that ND has two 50+ yard TD passes on those little flips to the WR, which are basically handoffs. That is almost 20% of their passing yards on those two plays, which no one would really call a pass.
2nd highest passing offense (not 4th) - the lists that include Army and Navy as having a passing offense don't meet a minimum threshold of 10 passes per game.
Old 09-18-2019, 04:08 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Iíll add a few here.

I hear about playing away but ND basically played away two years ago when Georgia fans loaded the stadium. Shouldnít be that much different.

I think(hope) we have another top dbís to hold their many untested talented receivers. Iíve been on their boards and they donít think much of our corners. But think highly of our safeties. Maybe Elliot or Vaughn plays nickel and Hamilton plays safety when they go 3 or 4 wide. Iíll take that.

Unfamiliarity. By that, I mean they really havenít seen much tape on Kmet, Smith(which I think will be a surprise back in this game), and Keys speed.

I also thinkND has given Georgia just enough tape to have them gameplan for certain guys but not enough for them to realize they could be decoys. Davis, Finke, Tremble.

I know people think we arenít as talented but I disagree. When you break it down as if you were the coach, you would realize on how much talent we have if the plays are designed to fit guys talents. Finke, Tremble, and Kmet could be mismatches inside. Davis is an nice playmaker if not accounted for. Claypool is a beast with excellent catch radius.
The one thing we are truly lacking is our run game. Butch used correctly could be explosive or just right. Jones when healthy will get you the tough 3-4 yards and I truly think Smith is going to be a factor in this game. We shall see.
Old 09-19-2019, 02:01 AM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltssb View Post
Iíll add a few here.

I hear about playing away but ND basically played away two years ago when Georgia fans loaded the stadium. Shouldnít be that much different.

I think(hope) we have another top dbís to hold their many untested talented receivers. Iíve been on their boards and they donít think much of our corners. But think highly of our safeties. Maybe Elliot or Vaughn plays nickel and Hamilton plays safety when they go 3 or 4 wide. Iíll take that.

Unfamiliarity. By that, I mean they really havenít seen much tape on Kmet, Smith(which I think will be a surprise back in this game), and Keys speed.

I also thinkND has given Georgia just enough tape to have them gameplan for certain guys but not enough for them to realize they could be decoys. Davis, Finke, Tremble.

I know people think we arenít as talented but I disagree. When you break it down as if you were the coach, you would realize on how much talent we have if the plays are designed to fit guys talents. Finke, Tremble, and Kmet could be mismatches inside. Davis is an nice playmaker if not accounted for. Claypool is a beast with excellent catch radius.
The one thing we are truly lacking is our run game. Butch used correctly could be explosive or just right. Jones when healthy will get you the tough 3-4 yards and I truly think Smith is going to be a factor in this game. We shall see.
Have to disagree with you on the road game point. Playing at night in Athens isnít even in the same stratosphere as when we played at home and their fans came into ND stadium. You will see what I mean come Sat night.

Your other points may be true but I think they are just ďmehĒ in my book. This game is about toughness and physicality. They are going to run the ball down our throat and dare us to stop them. Then defensively, they will stack the box and bring pressure on Book and give him no time to throw the ball. I donít think we will establish any run game and we will be one dimensional and they will just pin their ears back like Clemson did and dominate us.
Old 09-19-2019, 03:32 AM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Have to disagree with you on the road game point. Playing at night in Athens isnít even in the same stratosphere as when we played at home and their fans came into ND stadium. You will see what I mean come Sat night.

Your other points may be true but I think they are just ďmehĒ in my book. This game is about toughness and physicality. They are going to run the ball down our throat and dare us to stop them. Then defensively, they will stack the box and bring pressure on Book and give him no time to throw the ball. I donít think we will establish any run game and we will be one dimensional and they will just pin their ears back like Clemson did and dominate us.
I think ND will come out with a different look along the front 7 to stop the run. We have too much talent at DE to not be playing those guys.
Old 09-19-2019, 04:04 AM
Domer Domain All American

Kmet is probable and Jahmir Smith is questionable in this one. Both would help give us a legitimate chance a lot. Smith seems to have the most power of all the backs in this group. Many felt he looked like the best all around tb in camp in August.

ND running the ball and stopping the run is a massive concern for me in this game. The athletes that UGA will have in this game well be Clemson like from last year.

Spread is up to 14 1/2.

Things needed to win:

1) Win the turnover battle. Probably by a good margin.
2) Establish a decent rushing game.
3) Do not let their run game throttle us. Swift is absolutely electric. Our rushing defense in this one is my biggest concern.
4) Book has to be lights out. Hit some deep passes.
5) Play great special teams. UGA has a great kicker so this will be challenging too.
6) Minimal penalties.

This is the kind of game that ND legends are born in. We will need kids to rise up like they never have before and become legends to pull this off. Odds are that long but not impossible.

Go Irish!
Old 09-19-2019, 05:34 AM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKCIrish99 View Post
Kmet is probable and Jahmir Smith is questionable in this one. Both would help give us a legitimate chance a lot. Smith seems to have the most power of all the backs in this group. Many felt he looked like the best all around tb in camp in August.

ND running the ball and stopping the run is a massive concern for me in this game. The athletes that UGA will have in this game well be Clemson like from last year.

Spread is up to 14 1/2.

Things needed to win:

1) Win the turnover battle. Probably by a good margin.
2) Establish a decent rushing game.
3) Do not let their run game throttle us. Swift is absolutely electric. Our rushing defense in this one is my biggest concern.
4) Book has to be lights out. Hit some deep passes.
5) Play great special teams. UGA has a great kicker so this will be challenging too.
6) Minimal penalties.

This is the kind of game that ND legends are born in. We will need kids to rise up like they never have before and become legends to pull this off. Odds are that long but not impossible.

Go Irish!
I think you make some good points here. Basically, we have to play beyond our best in just about every phase in order to win. I agree that if we do that we will have a chance to win. I guess Iím going with the odds of what happens with BK over the years and that is that we donít play to this level. We had turnovers, dropped balls, and penalties a couple years ago at Clemson. We were soft against Bama, OSU, and against Clemson last year. About the only game that we were physical and played well overall was against FSU a few years back but even then we fell short.

What Iím trying to say is that it is extremely rare in the BK era for us to play a complete and physically dominate game for 4 quarters. This is why Iím not high on our chances against an unbelievably talented Georgia team on the road.
Old 09-19-2019, 07:08 AM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:

I hear you. But I am quietly optimistic for some reason. We have shyt the bed in many big games when ND couldn't handle the crowd. I don't know why, but I think this will be the first BK team that will be ready. Maybe it's Clark Lea I have faith in. Everybody knows what they want to do. I was listening to BlueGold podcast and their beat writer summed it up. Georgia doesn't game plan around other teams. They say, can you beat us at what we do. Which, I think we actually match up....somewhat good against. They are going to run from the I. They are going to run play-action. They are going to have athletes on the field, especially defense. But, I'm calm. Just a gut feeling man...Had this gut feeling when they played Miami and cried that Miami is gunning for us. We don't seem ready. I cried when before we played ASU here in Arizona. I knew it was going to be a ruckus crowd. This won't be a surprise to "anyone." Think about who ND has played in the past 5 years. Think about the bowls they played. I know it will be loud. But ND will be ready....
Old 09-19-2019, 10:54 AM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltssb View Post
I hear you. But I am quietly optimistic for some reason. We have shyt the bed in many big games when ND couldn't handle the crowd. I don't know why, but I think this will be the first BK team that will be ready. Maybe it's Clark Lea I have faith in. Everybody knows what they want to do. I was listening to BlueGold podcast and their beat writer summed it up. Georgia doesn't game plan around other teams. They say, can you beat us at what we do. Which, I think we actually match up....somewhat good against. They are going to run from the I. They are going to run play-action. They are going to have athletes on the field, especially defense. But, I'm calm. Just a gut feeling man...Had this gut feeling when they played Miami and cried that Miami is gunning for us. We don't seem ready. I cried when before we played ASU here in Arizona. I knew it was going to be a ruckus crowd. This won't be a surprise to "anyone." Think about who ND has played in the past 5 years. Think about the bowls they played. I know it will be loud. But ND will be ready....
Letís hope youíre right! I would love nothing more than to go into SEC territory and come out with a win. This program needs it badly! Go Irish!
Old 09-19-2019, 02:47 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
The only thing that is constant over the last 10 years under BK is that we don’t win these games. Really, we don’t even come close to playing well in these types of games. This is what I’m going off of and this is why I am extremely doubtful going into this game.

The other thing to remember is that the only way you win games like this against this type of Georgia team is to out tough them and be physically dominate. It isn’t by being crafty and running misdirection. You have to be physical and match their toughness. We aren’t that type of team on both sides of the ball. Georgia is mean, nasty, physical, and they dominate the run game. That is what you have to be in order to beat them and that is just not our makeup.

I would love nothing more than to see the Irish rise up, play well, and knock them off. I just don’t see it happening.
Our system works well against teams with near equal or lesser talent. Not so when we play teams with greater talent. We depend a lot on runs after short pass catches, and teams with Georgia's speed don't let that happen. We depend on at least a modicum of success on the ground and teams with powerful front 7's like Georgia shut us down. On defense we depend on fast safety pursuit to load the box and stop the run, but teams like Georgia find match ups where a safety is man to man on a faster wide receiver and exploit it. I would love to be wrong, but I think it will be like all the other games where we lose against a team with more talent.