Notre Dame Football News And Talk  

Come check out the news feed! DD Front Page

Go Back   Notre Dame Football News And Talk > Message Board > General Discussion

Old 09-15-2019, 05:44 AM
Domer Domain All American

Default Like this team!

Like how they tackle people for losses.

Like how unpredictable they are.

Like the new faces on offense

Team has alot of Passion with Gilman, excitement with Hamilton, unpredictability at receiver and linebacker

I'm having fun

Anybody with me?

Keep That Fighting Spirit

"Let me see you disrespect me now, when my face is to ya" Lou Holtz

Resident video nerd and DomerDomain MVP since 2011

Last edited by FaithInIrishForever; 09-15-2019 at 04:32 PM.

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 09-15-2019, 05:52 AM
Administrator
Domer Domain Legend

I would say you like this team against New Mexico. Not sure how much you'll like them against Georgia. Personally, I have a feeling we beat Georgia. IF most things come together, I think we'll win.

"
If we were in the wild, I would attack u. Even if u werenít in my food chain, I would go out of my way to attack u!" ~Manti Teo

Old 09-15-2019, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedsterX View Post
I would say you like this team against New Mexico. Not sure how much you'll like them against Georgia. Personally, I have a feeling we beat Georgia. IF most things come together, I think we'll win.
I just like different looks. For year its been Josh Adams or Dexter Williams behind the line pretty much over and over. I like attacking edges, misdirection.

I'm not sure of the results just like the process

Old 09-15-2019, 02:24 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedsterX View Post
I wonder, if at halftime our offense looks like last year against Clemson - 3 -pts and not many total yards- if Kelly will turn to Phil. It is obvious from yesterday's perfectly thrown 56 yard bomb that Phil can stretch the field for big chunk plays. Perhaps Book has been deliberately under throwing and inaccurately throwing the long ball and will unveil his new accuracy and arm strength, but if he doesn't - and dink and dunking gets us nowhere- it will be interesting to see if Kelly gives Phil a chance.
Old 09-15-2019, 02:36 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

I like the wins.
I like that the offense has many ways to attack.
I like our defensive secondary.
I like how Clark looked.

I donít like going for 3rd and 1 out of the spread.
I donít like how the defense seems to be caught off guard for their first 12 plays. I know part of that is game-planning by the other team, but I worry that our supposedly dominant defensive line doesnít look so dominant to me.

I like the team.
I think next year Iíll love the team. More experience, more manageable schedule ( except for 1 game).
Old 09-15-2019, 04:16 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Always ďnext yearĒ...
Old 09-15-2019, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketsan View Post
Always ďnext yearĒ...
What do you think of the team so far buddy?

Old 09-15-2019, 04:30 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

I love our safeties and DEs, especially love the depth of talent. I actually really like our YOUNG LBs, though they certainly need to develop. I think Book will return to his steady, yet unspectacular form. I liked watching young receivers emerge. If we can't pick up 2 yards when we need it however, all these positives will be for nought.
Old 09-15-2019, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddyO View Post
I love our safeties and DEs, especially love the depth of talent. I actually really like our YOUNG LBs, though they certainly need to develop. I think Book will return to his steady, yet unspectacular form. I liked watching young receivers emerge. If we can't pick up 2 yards when we need it however, all these positives will be for nought.
yup 3rd and short is definitely a struggle, hope we get Jahmir Smith back soon who runs the short ones the best.

I like with this group that we can mix up the coverages so Jake Fromm may not know whats coming. Elko's-Lee's defense was always a safety position driven defense(Elko had been safeties coach) and this year we have safeties that make it go.

All I know is that we go into Georgia with 14 regular season games in a row, and a punchers chance. It will be fun.

Old 09-15-2019, 05:20 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Gruene View Post
I like the wins.
I like that the offense has many ways to attack.
I like our defensive secondary.
I like how Clark looked.

I donít like going for 3rd and 1 out of the spread.
I donít like how the defense seems to be caught off guard for their first 12 plays. I know part of that is game-planning by the other team, but I worry that our supposedly dominant defensive line doesnít look so dominant to me.

I like the team.
I think next year Iíll love the team. More experience, more manageable schedule ( except for 1 game).
This schedule is shaping up to be pretty manageable this year. Other than Georgia, ND will be favorites in the rest.
Old 09-15-2019, 06:29 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by corysold View Post
This schedule is shaping up to be pretty manageable this year. Other than Georgia, ND will be favorites in the rest.
The trouble is, there's a fatigue factor with us regarding playing elite teams when it counts. I fear that even if we lose by 10 to Georgia and go undefeated, that we'll get shut out. We need to look very impressive this coming Saturday. I mean down to the wire, close loss with a chance to win at the end and, either winning or barely coming up short. If it's not close, we're playing for next year. If that's the situation, I'd rather watch Phil develop than watch Book ball.
Old 09-15-2019, 07:25 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankus View Post
The trouble is, there's a fatigue factor with us regarding playing elite teams when it counts. I fear that even if we lose by 10 to Georgia and go undefeated, that we'll get shut out. We need to look very impressive this coming Saturday. I mean down to the wire, close loss with a chance to win at the end and, either winning or barely coming up short. If it's not close, we're playing for next year. If that's the situation, I'd rather watch Phil develop than watch Book ball.
Oklahoma and Texas are probably thinking the same thing about their October game. Ohio State and Michigan about their game too.
Unless youíre Alabama or Clemson, any regular season loss better be a close game against a good team. Ohio State/Purdue showed the importance of that last year.
Of course, ND doesnít get the chance to make up for a loss by winning a conference championship game. But, ND also doesnít have to worry about losing a conference championship game.
Old 09-15-2019, 08:14 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Oklahoma and Texas are probably thinking the same thing about their October game. Ohio State and Michigan about their game too.
Unless youíre Alabama or Clemson, any regular season loss better be a close game against a good team. Ohio State/Purdue showed the importance of that last year.
Of course, ND doesnít get the chance to make up for a loss by winning a conference championship game. But, ND also doesnít have to worry about losing a conference championship game.
There's no way Ohio State or Oklahoma is going to get shut out if they and we have one loss. They have proven they can compete. We haven't. A big loss Saturday is another nail in the coffin.
Old 09-15-2019, 10:07 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaithInIrishForever View Post
Like how they tackle people for losses.

Like how unpredictable they are.

Like the new faces on offense

Team has alot of Passion with Gilman, excitement with Hamilton, unpredictability at receiver and linebacker

I'm having fun

Anybody with me?
Water is Wet.
Old 09-15-2019, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali_domer View Post
Water is Wet.
Instead of saying that tell me why you don't agree? Would make for an interesting conversation.

Old 09-16-2019, 12:02 AM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankus View Post
There's no way Ohio State or Oklahoma is going to get shut out if they and we have one loss. They have proven they can compete. We haven't. A big loss Saturday is another nail in the coffin.
If ND loses by 2 to Georgia and Ohio State loses by 14 to Maryland or Northwestern, I think ND might still get in (given no other losses by either team).
I hope weíre in a position to find out in late November.
11-1 would be a great season. Iím sure some people here would complain about something, but few predicted 11-1 at the start of the season. Iíll just wait, watch, and hope.
Old 09-16-2019, 04:32 AM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Instead of saying that tell me why you don't agree? Would make for an interesting conversation.
This team will lose at least three games. Lack of commitment to the run game and inconsistent QB play. I "like" the team. Just see them as really deficient in areas and therefore over ranked. I see them as totally flawed and will AGAIN be exposed by teams with elite talent. The story stays the same, we are step below the elite (BIG STEP) and the sunshine pumping that this is going to be the best offense under Kelly is a joke.

I do not like unpredictable (bad running, LB play, Unknown at WR) when it comes to a team sport. I enjoy teams having an Identity. Why can we not run against bad teams? Why do QB's under Kelly seem to regress? Why when the lights are bright against elite teams do we consistently crap the bed? I am glad you see this as exciting, but I disagree the reason you listed is a reason for excitement.

Last edited by cali_domer; 09-16-2019 at 04:43 AM.
Old 09-16-2019, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali_domer View Post
This team will lose at least three games. Lack of commitment to the run game and inconsistent QB play. I "like" the team. Just see them as really deficient in areas and therefore over ranked. I see them as totally flawed and will AGAIN be exposed by teams with elite talent. The story stays the same, we are step below the elite (BIG STEP) and the sunshine pumping that this is going to be the best offense under Kelly is a joke.

I do not like unpredictable (bad running, LB play, Unknown at WR) when it comes to a team sport. I enjoy teams having an Identity. Why can we not run against bad teams? Why do QB's under Kelly seem to regress? Why when the lights are bright against elite teams do we consistently crap the bed? I am glad you see this as exciting, but I disagree the reason you listed is a reason for excitement.
that's all very possible. I'm not all flowers or pumping sunshine really. Its true that we don't reload like Clemson does, "Like this team" for me covers the 8-10 win area. I'd be shocked at 11-12 wins but I'd be equally shocked at 6-7. Every team replaces 20-25 percent of their rosters every year. I like the safeties we have this year. The adjustment by the defense to funnel offenses to the sideline instead of the middle creates more tackles for loss with this personnel group.

I get tired of the same offense so guys with new skills are fun for me to figure out. Kelly has not really had many QB's for back to back years as starters. Golson had school trouble, Zaire got hurt, Kizer went quickly to the NFL. Wimbush had accuracy issues

I guess I'd have to go back to Rees and he was more of a coach on the field who had a ceiling,

I guess we're back to the Rees/Crist debate but the names are now Book Jurkovec.

I know thats not perfect and we've not won the big prize but its a far cry from the 6-6 team the guy inherited.

I appreciate all you've said, we've expressed both sides of the same coin and mostly agree upon them. We'll see if this team offers anything new when competing with the SEC on Saturday.

Old 09-16-2019, 03:30 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
If ND loses by 2 to Georgia and Ohio State loses by 14 to Maryland or Northwestern, I think ND might still get in (given no other losses by either team).
I hope we’re in a position to find out in late November.
11-1 would be a great season. I’m sure some people here would complain about something, but few predicted 11-1 at the start of the season. I’ll just wait, watch, and hope.
I agree 11-1 would be a great season, but our goal is to win a National Championship.

If you read what I wrote, there's the caveat that we play Georgia down to the wire. If it's the usual beat down, then it's all pointless because we're not contenders for a NC.

If there's one thing I've learned from this era is that we don't make huge strides as a team throughout the year that transforms us from a team that can beat our underdogs, to beating teams, or even playing them close, when we are the big underdogs. This week is a big opportunity to change the narrative, and our hopes. Let's hope the Irish are up to the task.
Old 09-16-2019, 05:40 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Quote:
What do you think of the team so far buddy?
Offense - not good save for a couple receivers. Unimpressed with QB play, o-line horrible...

Defense - surprisingly impressed but I think Saturday is going to blow up this bird.

I for one am taking a two week vacation from here as it will be unbearable reading... Meltdowns and calls for firings will be epic...

Iím at peace with it all... it is what it is... we are who we are.
Old 09-16-2019, 08:15 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by corysold View Post
Spot on! USC, Stanford and heck, even Fredo, losing to Kansas, are showing their warts early.
Old 09-16-2019, 11:40 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Offense - not good save for a couple receivers. Unimpressed with QB play, o-line horrible...

Defense - surprisingly impressed but I think Saturday is going to blow up this bird.

I for one am taking a two week vacation from here as it will be unbearable reading... Meltdowns and calls for firings will be epic...

Why should their be meltdowns? Half the board expects a beatdown. It should be expected then.
Old 09-17-2019, 02:20 AM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:

Georgia really should beat ND badly.
Their 24/7 recruiting rankings:
2016: #6, three 5 star players
2017: #3, three 5 star players
2018: #1, seven (!!!) 5 star players
2019: #2, five 5 star players

And here's lowly ND, with rankings of 15, 10, 10, and 16 during that time with one 5 star (Kraemer).

If ND does win, it will be the biggest win in decades. A close loss, in my opinion, would indicate the coaching staff is doing something really well.
A loss by 2 touchdowns? Sadness, but not unexpected by me.

ND has to be able to recruit like the "Big Dawgs" to be able to compete with the big dogs.
It's not the 1970's any more.

I'll be sad if they lose big, but I'd rather lose big to Georgia than win by 1 against Duke.