Notre Dame Football News And Talk  


Come check out the news feed! DD Front Page

Go Back   Notre Dame Football News And Talk > Message Board > General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-15-2019, 05:44 AM
FaithInIrishForever's Avatar
FaithInIrishForever FaithInIrishForever is offline
Moderator
Domer Domain All American
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: pa
Posts: 9,091
Default Like this team!

Like how they tackle people for losses.

Like how unpredictable they are.


Like the new faces on offense

Team has alot of Passion with Gilman, excitement with Hamilton, unpredictability at receiver and linebacker

I'm having fun


Anybody with me?
__________________
Moderator


Keep That Fighting Spirit

"Let me see you disrespect me now, when my face is to ya" Lou Holtz


Resident video nerd and DomerDomain MVP since 2011

Last edited by FaithInIrishForever; 09-15-2019 at 04:32 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-15-2019, 05:52 AM
SpeedsterX's Avatar
SpeedsterX SpeedsterX is offline
Administrator
Domer Domain Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: In the shadow of the Golden Dome
Posts: 10,185
Default

I would say you like this team against New Mexico. Not sure how much you'll like them against Georgia. Personally, I have a feeling we beat Georgia. IF most things come together, I think we'll win.
__________________

"
If we were in the wild, I would attack u. Even if u weren’t in my food chain, I would go out of my way to attack u!" ~Manti Teo

Moderator

Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-15-2019, 06:00 AM
FaithInIrishForever's Avatar
FaithInIrishForever FaithInIrishForever is offline
Moderator
Domer Domain All American
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: pa
Posts: 9,091
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedsterX View Post
I would say you like this team against New Mexico. Not sure how much you'll like them against Georgia. Personally, I have a feeling we beat Georgia. IF most things come together, I think we'll win.
I just like different looks. For year its been Josh Adams or Dexter Williams behind the line pretty much over and over. I like attacking edges, misdirection.

I'm not sure of the results just like the process
__________________
Moderator


Keep That Fighting Spirit

"Let me see you disrespect me now, when my face is to ya" Lou Holtz


Resident video nerd and DomerDomain MVP since 2011
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-15-2019, 02:24 PM
Frankus Frankus is online now
Member
Domer Domain Junior
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Granger, IN
Posts: 3,579
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedsterX View Post
I would say you like this team against New Mexico. Not sure how much you'll like them against Georgia. Personally, I have a feeling we beat Georgia. IF most things come together, I think we'll win.
I wonder, if at halftime our offense looks like last year against Clemson - 3 -pts and not many total yards- if Kelly will turn to Phil. It is obvious from yesterday's perfectly thrown 56 yard bomb that Phil can stretch the field for big chunk plays. Perhaps Book has been deliberately under throwing and inaccurately throwing the long ball and will unveil his new accuracy and arm strength, but if he doesn't - and dink and dunking gets us nowhere- it will be interesting to see if Kelly gives Phil a chance.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-15-2019, 02:36 PM
Kelly Gruene Kelly Gruene is offline
Junior Member
Domer Domain Sophomore
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Dallas/Fort Worth
Posts: 1,638
Default

I like the wins.
I like that the offense has many ways to attack.
I like our defensive secondary.
I like how Clark looked.

I don’t like going for 3rd and 1 out of the spread.
I don’t like how the defense seems to be caught off guard for their first 12 plays. I know part of that is game-planning by the other team, but I worry that our supposedly dominant defensive line doesn’t look so dominant to me.

I like the team.
I think next year I’ll love the team. More experience, more manageable schedule ( except for 1 game).
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-15-2019, 04:16 PM
Rocketsan's Avatar
Rocketsan Rocketsan is offline
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 17,822
Default

Always “next year”...
__________________
http://imageshack.com/a/img546/3410/0at9.jpg
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-15-2019, 04:20 PM
FaithInIrishForever's Avatar
FaithInIrishForever FaithInIrishForever is offline
Moderator
Domer Domain All American
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: pa
Posts: 9,091
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketsan View Post
Always “next year”...
What do you think of the team so far buddy?
__________________
Moderator


Keep That Fighting Spirit

"Let me see you disrespect me now, when my face is to ya" Lou Holtz


Resident video nerd and DomerDomain MVP since 2011
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-15-2019, 05:20 PM
corysold's Avatar
corysold corysold is offline
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Cortland, IL
Posts: 13,872
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Gruene View Post
I like the wins.
I like that the offense has many ways to attack.
I like our defensive secondary.
I like how Clark looked.

I don’t like going for 3rd and 1 out of the spread.
I don’t like how the defense seems to be caught off guard for their first 12 plays. I know part of that is game-planning by the other team, but I worry that our supposedly dominant defensive line doesn’t look so dominant to me.

I like the team.
I think next year I’ll love the team. More experience, more manageable schedule ( except for 1 game).
This schedule is shaping up to be pretty manageable this year. Other than Georgia, ND will be favorites in the rest.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-15-2019, 06:29 PM
Frankus Frankus is online now
Member
Domer Domain Junior
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Granger, IN
Posts: 3,579
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by corysold View Post
This schedule is shaping up to be pretty manageable this year. Other than Georgia, ND will be favorites in the rest.
The trouble is, there's a fatigue factor with us regarding playing elite teams when it counts. I fear that even if we lose by 10 to Georgia and go undefeated, that we'll get shut out. We need to look very impressive this coming Saturday. I mean down to the wire, close loss with a chance to win at the end and, either winning or barely coming up short. If it's not close, we're playing for next year. If that's the situation, I'd rather watch Phil develop than watch Book ball.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-16-2019, 08:15 PM
Jersey Irish's Avatar
Jersey Irish Jersey Irish is offline
Member
Domer Domain Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mine Hill, New Jersey
Posts: 4,422
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by corysold View Post
This schedule is shaping up to be pretty manageable this year. Other than Georgia, ND will be favorites in the rest.
Spot on! USC, Stanford and heck, even Fredo, losing to Kansas, are showing their warts early.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-15-2019, 10:07 PM
cali_domer's Avatar
cali_domer cali_domer is offline
Member
Domer Domain Junior
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 2,810
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaithInIrishForever View Post
Like how they tackle people for losses.

Like how unpredictable they are.


Like the new faces on offense

Team has alot of Passion with Gilman, excitement with Hamilton, unpredictability at receiver and linebacker

I'm having fun


Anybody with me?
Water is Wet.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-15-2019, 10:37 PM
FaithInIrishForever's Avatar
FaithInIrishForever FaithInIrishForever is offline
Moderator
Domer Domain All American
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: pa
Posts: 9,091
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali_domer View Post
Water is Wet.
Instead of saying that tell me why you don't agree? Would make for an interesting conversation.
__________________
Moderator


Keep That Fighting Spirit

"Let me see you disrespect me now, when my face is to ya" Lou Holtz


Resident video nerd and DomerDomain MVP since 2011
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-16-2019, 04:32 AM
cali_domer's Avatar
cali_domer cali_domer is offline
Member
Domer Domain Junior
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 2,810
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaithInIrishForever View Post
Instead of saying that tell me why you don't agree? Would make for an interesting conversation.
This team will lose at least three games. Lack of commitment to the run game and inconsistent QB play. I "like" the team. Just see them as really deficient in areas and therefore over ranked. I see them as totally flawed and will AGAIN be exposed by teams with elite talent. The story stays the same, we are step below the elite (BIG STEP) and the sunshine pumping that this is going to be the best offense under Kelly is a joke.

I do not like unpredictable (bad running, LB play, Unknown at WR) when it comes to a team sport. I enjoy teams having an Identity. Why can we not run against bad teams? Why do QB's under Kelly seem to regress? Why when the lights are bright against elite teams do we consistently crap the bed? I am glad you see this as exciting, but I disagree the reason you listed is a reason for excitement.
__________________

Last edited by cali_domer; 09-16-2019 at 04:43 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-16-2019, 02:07 PM
FaithInIrishForever's Avatar
FaithInIrishForever FaithInIrishForever is offline
Moderator
Domer Domain All American
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: pa
Posts: 9,091
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali_domer View Post
This team will lose at least three games. Lack of commitment to the run game and inconsistent QB play. I "like" the team. Just see them as really deficient in areas and therefore over ranked. I see them as totally flawed and will AGAIN be exposed by teams with elite talent. The story stays the same, we are step below the elite (BIG STEP) and the sunshine pumping that this is going to be the best offense under Kelly is a joke.

I do not like unpredictable (bad running, LB play, Unknown at WR) when it comes to a team sport. I enjoy teams having an Identity. Why can we not run against bad teams? Why do QB's under Kelly seem to regress? Why when the lights are bright against elite teams do we consistently crap the bed? I am glad you see this as exciting, but I disagree the reason you listed is a reason for excitement.
that's all very possible. I'm not all flowers or pumping sunshine really. Its true that we don't reload like Clemson does, "Like this team" for me covers the 8-10 win area. I'd be shocked at 11-12 wins but I'd be equally shocked at 6-7. Every team replaces 20-25 percent of their rosters every year. I like the safeties we have this year. The adjustment by the defense to funnel offenses to the sideline instead of the middle creates more tackles for loss with this personnel group.

I get tired of the same offense so guys with new skills are fun for me to figure out. Kelly has not really had many QB's for back to back years as starters. Golson had school trouble, Zaire got hurt, Kizer went quickly to the NFL. Wimbush had accuracy issues

I guess I'd have to go back to Rees and he was more of a coach on the field who had a ceiling,

I guess we're back to the Rees/Crist debate but the names are now Book Jurkovec.

I know thats not perfect and we've not won the big prize but its a far cry from the 6-6 team the guy inherited.

I appreciate all you've said, we've expressed both sides of the same coin and mostly agree upon them. We'll see if this team offers anything new when competing with the SEC on Saturday.
__________________
Moderator


Keep That Fighting Spirit

"Let me see you disrespect me now, when my face is to ya" Lou Holtz


Resident video nerd and DomerDomain MVP since 2011
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Also visit IrishEnvy, our Notre Dame Football partner site

All times are GMT. The time now is 07:32 PM.

Last Updated: November 20, 2019

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.