Notre Dame Football News And Talk  

Come check out the news feed! DD Front Page

Go Back   Notre Dame Football News And Talk > Message Board > Other ND Sports

Old 02-22-2019, 05:45 AM
Domer Domain Junior

They handled Duke pretty easily last night, improving to 25-3 and Ogunbowale broke Diggins' all time points record.

The Duke women's team is not having a very good year though.

https://und.com/news/2019/2/21/women...uke-89-61.aspx

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 02-26-2019, 12:04 AM
Domer Domain Freshman

Watching them play Cuse right now. One thing that has seemed odd to me this year (might have always been this way but donít remember it annoying me) is why in the world are all 5 starters in the game when we are up 20 plus in 3rd. Get these young kids some time. There is no bench and she needs to build it quick - probably too late now. At least she should be resting their legs.
Old 02-26-2019, 01:18 AM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishrush View Post
Watching them play Cuse right now. One thing that has seemed odd to me this year (might have always been this way but donít remember it annoying me) is why in the world are all 5 starters in the game when we are up 20 plus in 3rd. Get these young kids some time. There is no bench and she needs to build it quick - probably too late now. At least she should be resting their legs.

Why? Normally I'd be with you, but We know these girls have the legs. Remember last year? These girls are all energizer bunnies!
Old 02-26-2019, 05:57 AM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
I agree, because we all know this team will be awful next year. So, why not get the young girls time?
Old 02-28-2019, 02:32 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianKellyTheMan View Post
I agree, because we all know this team will be awful next year. So, why not get the young girls time?
I think Muffet is turning to her tournament rotation. The ACC Tournament final, which in all probability is ND-Louisville to determine who the #1 seed in Chicago will be- is in 10 days. So, it makes sense to me that she's going to a 7 man rotation with 1 guard (Prohaska) and one big (Vaughn) being the rotation.

As for next year: Unless Young stays and there's a major high quality transfer like Shepard, it's gonna be a rebuilding year.
Old 02-28-2019, 02:41 PM
Domer Domain Freshman

Does Shepard have one more year? I thought she might with the transfer.
Old 02-28-2019, 02:44 PM
Domer Domain Freshman

I answered my own question. She transferred after Soph year. I thought she was a freshmen when she left.
Old 03-09-2019, 07:00 PM
Domer Domain Junior

If the women had two high quality subs I would say nobody is going to beat us in the NCAA tournament. However, too many times we'll look great and get up 20, two subs will come in and our lead will be cut by 10 points,the starters come back in and it's quickly back up to 20 and beyond. The lack of quality subs is our Achilles heal.
Old 03-10-2019, 03:31 AM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankus View Post
If the women had two high quality subs I would say nobody is going to beat us in the NCAA tournament. However, too many times we'll look great and get up 20, two subs will come in and our lead will be cut by 10 points,the starters come back in and it's quickly back up to 20 and beyond. The lack of quality subs is our Achilles heal.
Exactly, why this team doesnít win 10 games next year.
Old 03-10-2019, 03:36 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Exactly, why this team doesn’t win 10 games next year.
I think they'll win more than 10 games if Young returns and be in the top 1/3 of the ACC if Brunelle is elite and we get a high quality transfer like Shepard is, but the only underclassman besides Young on the roster who looks like she has elite upside is Patterson and that is only if her intensity picks up. If we win it all again, we may quickly get back to elite status with a great 2020 recruiting class. Who wouldn't want to play at ND? They really have a wide open offensive game and Muffet is a great offensive coach.

Last edited by Frankus; 03-10-2019 at 03:44 PM.
Old 03-10-2019, 04:42 PM
Domer Domain Freshman

I think a lot of the girls we have gotten in have been elite recruits, she just didn't get them any time as we have 5 WNBA players on the roster. Hopefully then can pick it up next year and the 2019 class is as good as advertised.
Old 03-10-2019, 05:28 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
I think a lot of the girls we have gotten in have been elite recruits, she just didn't get them any time as we have 5 WNBA players on the roster. Hopefully then can pick it up next year and the 2019 class is as good as advertised.
There's no way Prohaska is an elite recruit. Today has been typical. She came in and Louisville went right at her and took her to school. Nixon has been a major disappointment. She looks slow and overweight.
Old 03-10-2019, 09:01 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
There's no way Prohaska is an elite recruit. Today has been typical. She came in and Louisville went right at her and took her to school. Nixon has been a major disappointment. She looks slow and overweight.
The girl from Indiana is the only good recruit. Sucks because technically all 4 of the freshman are top 100 players. Iím sorry but 3 of them are not top 100 lol.
Old 03-10-2019, 09:02 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
I think they'll win more than 10 games if Young returns and be in the top 1/3 of the ACC if Brunelle is elite and we get a high quality transfer like Shepard is, but the only underclassman besides Young on the roster who looks like she has elite upside is Patterson and that is only if her intensity picks up. If we win it all again, we may quickly get back to elite status with a great 2020 recruiting class. Who wouldn't want to play at ND? They really have a wide open offensive game and Muffet is a great offensive coach.
Only, chance is if Young comes back. Even, if that happens hopefully she gets a couple of 5th years.
Old 03-10-2019, 09:48 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
The girl from Indiana is the only good recruit. Sucks because technically all 4 of the freshman are top 100 players. Iím sorry but 3 of them are not top 100 lol.
Both Geno and Muffet say there's cheating going on. I know ND won't do it. We need some really good grad transfers.
Old 03-11-2019, 12:18 AM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Both Geno and Muffet say there's cheating going on. I know ND won't do it. We need some really good grad transfers.
Cheating how?
Old 03-11-2019, 12:47 AM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Cheating how?
No idea, but I presume it's money. It's happening at the High School level.
Old 03-11-2019, 01:00 AM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
No idea, but I presume it's money. It's happening at the High School level.
Well Muffet has been getting top talent for many years. So, if anyone is cheating hope itís no Muffet.
Old 03-11-2019, 05:52 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Quote:

Lol! These freshmen suck. Really? "Nixon go in next to young, arike and marina." "Don't worry about it. Just do your thing." Lol. These freshmen had a hard time meshing with the seniors on the court. Those girls built an extremely close bond last year during that run after the Tenn. game. it was just 6 of them and sometimes 5. I could see where you would be on eggshells on the court with those girls as a freshman.

Cut these girls some slack. They will be good. They are going to be able to open up and play their game next year. This is going to be their team. They have some intriguing talent between peoples, brunnell, nixon, and gilbert. Cosgrove and Prohaska will take a little more time to develop I think but will be good tough blue collar players. Prohaska is here because Muffet saw her teams getting soft. She is a throw back player. She reminds me so much of mallory and Novosel.
Old 03-11-2019, 09:09 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domers23 View Post
Lol! These freshmen suck. Really? "Nixon go in next to young, arike and marina." "Don't worry about it. Just do your thing." Lol. These freshmen had a hard time meshing with the seniors on the court. Those girls built an extremely close bond last year during that run after the Tenn. game. it was just 6 of them and sometimes 5. I could see where you would be on eggshells on the court with those girls as a freshman.

Cut these girls some slack. They will be good. They are going to be able to open up and play their game next year. This is going to be their team. They have some intriguing talent between peoples, brunnell, nixon, and gilbert. Cosgrove and Prohaska will take a little more time to develop I think but will be good tough blue collar players. Prohaska is here because Muffet saw her teams getting soft. She is a throw back player. She reminds me so much of mallory and Novosel.
I think it's a lot easier to win if you have a starting 5 with these kind of recruiting rankings:

Brianna Turner - #2
Jessica Shepard - #3
Arike Ogunbowale - #10
Jackie Young - #11
Marina Mabrey - #24

They may have bonded last year, but it's a lot easier to bond when you have superior talent, which they have over 95% (if not all) of the teams they play.

Now, let's look at next year:

Samantha Brunelle - #4 (True freshman)
Jackie Young - #11 (If she returns)
Katlyn Gilbert- #27 (Coming off an injury)
Danielle Patterson - #30
Jordan Nixon- #38
Mikayla Vaughn - #56
Abby Prohaska- #71

Without a tremendous talent coming in as a transfer, this is a 4th seed talent. If Young doesn't return, it will be a 6-8 seed team if not a bubble team.

Last edited by Frankus; 03-11-2019 at 09:12 PM.
Old 03-12-2019, 12:57 AM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
I think it's a lot easier to win if you have a starting 5 with these kind of recruiting rankings:

Brianna Turner - #2
Jessica Shepard - #3
Arike Ogunbowale - #10
Jackie Young - #11
Marina Mabrey - #24

They may have bonded last year, but it's a lot easier to bond when you have superior talent, which they have over 95% (if not all) of the teams they play.

Danielle Patterson - #30
Jordan Nixon- #38
Mikayla Vaughn - #56
Abby Prohaska- #71

Without a tremendous talent coming in as a transfer, this is a 4th seed talent. If Young doesn't return, it will be a 6-8 seed team if not a bubble team.
Clearly, this other dumb nut hasnít watched a game all year lol. You are totally correct, 2019-20 might not even make the tourney!
Old 03-12-2019, 12:58 AM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:

Mallory and Natalie could shoot very well, I have not seen one thing from Abby that leads me to believe she can.
Old 03-12-2019, 01:30 AM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Quote:
Clearly, this other dumb nut hasnít watched a game all year lol. You are totally correct, 2019-20 might not even make the tourney!
Lol! You crack me up. You are clearly a big ND fan, but every post you have about ND sports "The Sky is falling." Someone tries to talk with a little sensibility and you result to name calling. Yes, Mallory and Novosel were good shooters. Who is to say Prohaska won't be. That is clearly not her role on this team. When it is her role, she might surprise you.
Old 03-12-2019, 01:53 AM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Quote:

Brianna Turner - #2
Jessica Shepard - #3
Arike Ogunbowale - #10
Jackie Young - #11
Marina Mabrey - #24

Danielle Patterson - #30
Jordan Nixon- #38
Mikayla Vaughn - #56
Abby Prohaska- #71

My point of the bonding comment was to say that I'm sure its been hard and a lot of pressure on the younger girls to come in play with the seniors. They may be pressing and playing tight not exactly knowing their role or afraid of making a mistake. Mabry especially seems like a girl that might be tough to play with if you are not totally on the same page. So, I think the younger girls will be better than they are showing this year. Their development is just starting.

I don't think anywhere in my last post I conveyed anywhere close to final 4 expectations next year, but I certainly don't think they will suck.

Last edited by Domers23; 03-12-2019 at 02:01 AM.
Old 03-12-2019, 11:12 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
My point of the bonding comment was to say that I'm sure its been hard and a lot of pressure on the younger girls to come in play with the seniors. They may be pressing and playing tight not exactly knowing their role or afraid of making a mistake.
Yeah, but that doesn't explain how badly Prohaska and Nixon get beat off the dribble due to slow foot speed. Abby came in against Lousiville and they went right at her knowing they could dribble right past her. That's not knowing her role, that's a lack of athleticism.