Notre Dame Football News And Talk  

Come check out the news feed! DD Front Page

Go Back   Notre Dame Football News And Talk > Message Board > General Discussion

Old 11-17-2019, 10:36 PM
Domer Domain All American

Default Bowl Prospects

Iím surprised most sites have us projected to go to the Camping World Bowl. Assuming we win out I can see us climbing to the 10-12 range.

This would be a great season to end our NY6 bowl drought. I have a hard time seeing a 10-2 Notre Dame team being passed over for a NY6 bowl game.

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 11-17-2019, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndomer4 View Post
Iím surprised most sites have us projected to go to the Camping World Bowl. Assuming we win out I can see us climbing to the 10-12 range.

This would be a great season to end our NY6 bowl drought. I have a hard time seeing a 10-2 Notre Dame team being passed over for a NY6 bowl game.
It seems to be more about who stays ranked in front of them. It seems to be a bad year for the draw for nd becuase of which bowls are the playoff hosts. I dont know what needs to happen to who but most people are saying orange is definitely out and there is a pretty small chance at cotton. If anyone else knows how that works I'd like to know too
Old 11-17-2019, 11:50 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

I saw one projection that ND playing Florida in the Orange Bowl but other sites have Va. Tech playing UF.
Old 11-18-2019, 12:58 AM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavic View Post
I saw one projection that ND playing Florida in the Orange Bowl but other sites have Va. Tech playing UF.
I donít think the ACC has auto bid for second place in the Orange, they do if their champ doesnít go to the playoffs.
Old 11-18-2019, 08:46 AM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Lots to be played between now and the bowl selections.
Old 11-18-2019, 12:51 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Itís because most of the Bowl games are contractually committed
Old 11-18-2019, 02:37 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Hey if you read down in this article there is a little about NDs bowl possibilities.
https://www.ndinsider.com/football/a...2490de2ce.html
Old 11-18-2019, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND_JACK View Post
Hey if you read down in this article there is a little about NDs bowl possibilities.
https://www.ndinsider.com/football/a...2490de2ce.html
Thanks!

This is disappointing, I think these automatic qualifiers need to be done away with. I think itís likely the ACC representative will be unranked which is just a bad look.

I really want ND to get the monkey off their back in NY6 bowl games. This is a step down from the citrus bowl and beating a hapless Big 12 team is no different to me than winning the pinstripe bowl.
Old 11-18-2019, 03:06 PM

Gimme the Camping World, baby! Come into my backyard! Then, again, that LSU game was MISERABLE two years ago... One degree above freezing, misting, winds whipping, and a boring f'ing game until literally the last minute. I'm surprised my kids don't hate Notre Dame of that... Haha.
Old 11-18-2019, 03:11 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Thanks!

This is disappointing, I think these automatic qualifiers need to be done away with. I think itís likely the ACC representative will be unranked which is just a bad look.

I really want ND to get the monkey off their back in NY6 bowl games. This is a step down from the citrus bowl and beating a hapless Big 12 team is no different to me than winning the pinstripe bowl.
It's probably better that ND not play in a NY6 bowl. Do you really want Kelly to have to face a top 10 team whose coach has weeks to prepare?
Old 11-18-2019, 05:29 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown_9999 View Post
It's probably better that ND not play in a NY6 bowl. Do you really want Kelly to have to face a top 10 team whose coach has weeks to prepare?
Yes, I do!
Old 11-18-2019, 05:54 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown_9999 View Post
He is what he is. If we get a favorable matchup, we could win. But playing a team that barely missed the playoffs might not be fun to watch.
Old 11-18-2019, 06:11 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyisNasty View Post
He is what he is. If we get a favorable matchup, we could win. But playing a team that barely missed the playoffs might not be fun to watch.
A lot of the time, the teams that barely miss the playoff donít show up in the Bowl Game. Look at UGA last yr and Auburn the yr before. A team thatís already out of contention, but still playing hard would be a tougher matchup. Someone like Baylor or Utah.
Old 11-18-2019, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELDER06 View Post
A lot of the time, the teams that barely miss the playoff don’t show up in the Bowl Game. Look at UGA last yr and Auburn the yr before. A team that’s already out of contention, but still playing hard would be a tougher matchup. Someone like Baylor or Utah.
Good point. I was going to mention this as well.

When a school like ND who is just happy to be relevant makes a mid major bowl like the Citrus or something, we treat it like a playoff game. SEC teams are national title or bust, once the playoffs are out their season is over.

This shows the stark contrast in expectations, and also why we get smoked in meaningful bowls but usually win our .com bowls.
Old 11-18-2019, 07:18 PM
Domer Domain Junior

I think Camping World vs Texas is most likely. Can you imagine the money that thing would generate?

I view that game as a toss up
Old 11-18-2019, 10:00 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by goirish83 View Post
It seems to be more about who stays ranked in front of them. It seems to be a bad year for the draw for nd becuase of which bowls are the playoff hosts. I dont know what needs to happen to who but most people are saying orange is definitely out and there is a pretty small chance at cotton. If anyone else knows how that works I'd like to know too
This is exactly right - it's just a bad combination of which bowls are the Playoff Bowls this year. Before the season, the only NY6 Bowls ND could qualify for would have been the Orange and the Cotton because of conference contracts for Sugar (SEC/Big 12), and Rose (PAC-12/Big 10). ND could get into the Cotton as an at-large or the Orange opposite the ACC champion (or 2nd place finisher, as long as Clemson goes to the Playoff).

With the Orange Bowl, ND would only get in if they finished higher than the 3rd or 4th SEC team (depending on whether one or two SEC teams make the Playoff) and higher than the 3rd Big 10 team (OSU to the Playoff and Minnesota to the Rose). There are just too many teams from those conferences above ND with only two weeks left: SEC (LSU, Georgia, Alabama, Florida) and Big 10 (Ohio State, Penn State, Minnesota, Michigan, Wisconsin). So the Orange is out because ND cannot climb over that many teams.

ND is still in it (barely) for the Cotton Bowl. But a couple of things would need to happen because I believe that ND needs to finish in the Top 12 to qualify for a spot. They need a lot of help in terms of 1 and 2-loss teams losing in front of them: Minnesota/Wisconsin still have to play (doesn't really matter who wins, but Wisconsin picking up a 3rd loss would clearly vault ND in front of them), Ohio State will beat Penn State and Michigan - Michigan (despite obliterating ND) will fall behind with 3 losses and PSU might drop that far as well, depending on how bad they lose. They'd also need a few upsets, like Florida losing to Florida State and Baylor losing again. If Oregon beats Utah in the Pac-12 championship game, I think ND would be ranked above Utah considering the schedules each have played (ND will have a couple of nice wins whereas Utah won't really have any and ND beat USC, a team which Utah lost to).

ND is just in a really big hole because the loss to Michigan dropped them so far in the polls - they are the lowest P5 2-loss team. There isn't another big win that can get ND to jump those other two-loss teams, so that's why ND needs so much to happen (teams above them lose), which is just unlikely with only two games left.

Best case:

Playoff: Ohio State v. LSU, Clemson v Georgia
Rose: Minnesota v Oregon
Sugar: Alabama v Oklahoma
Orange: Virginia Tech (would make ND's win look better) v. Florida
Cotton: ND v Memphis

In the above hypothetical, the final standings would be:

1. Ohio State (13-0, Big 10 Champion)
2. Clemson (13-0, ACC Champion)
3. Georgia (12-1, SEC Champion)
4. LSU (12-1, SEC Runner-Up)
5. Oregon (12-1, Pac-12 Champion)
6. Oklahoma (12-1, Big 12 Champion)
7. Alabama (11-1)
8. Minnesota (11-2, Big 10 Runner-Up)
9. Florida (10-2)
10. Notre Dame (10-2)
11. Penn State (10-2 - blowout loss to Ohio State)
12. Utah (10-2 - loss to Oregon in Pac-12 Championship, weak resume)
13. Baylor (11-2, Big 12 Runner-Up)
14. Wisconin (9-3)
15. Michigan (9-3)
Old 11-19-2019, 01:04 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Hope the Irish do end up in Orlando......90 minutes up the road.
Old 11-19-2019, 06:10 PM

So many people make such a big deal about winning a meaningless bowl. These bowls are all about money...I want the one that pays the school the most. F*** winning it... Unless it's a playoff game, it doesn't matter.
Old 11-19-2019, 09:23 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishwavend View Post
So many people make such a big deal about winning a meaningless bowl. These bowls are all about money...I want the one that pays the school the most. F*** winning it... Unless it's a playoff game, it doesn't matter.
When you're battling a whole bunch of other teams for prized recruits, maybe even the team you're facing in that bowl game, the outcome of that game ain't meaningless. IMO, every win counts in one way or another.
Old 11-19-2019, 10:46 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishwavend View Post
This is nonsense
Old 11-20-2019, 12:42 AM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Good point. I was going to mention this as well.

When a school like ND who is just happy to be relevant makes a mid major bowl like the Citrus or something, we treat it like a playoff game. SEC teams are national title or bust, once the playoffs are out their season is over.

This shows the stark contrast in expectations, and also why we get smoked in meaningful bowls but usually win our .com bowls.
That would be the same for any team. I guarantee you, if Oregon loses in the PAC 12 title game and misses out on the playoff, do NOT bet on them in the Rose Bowl.
Old 11-20-2019, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tneun89 View Post
This is exactly right - it's just a bad combination of which bowls are the Playoff Bowls this year. Before the season, the only NY6 Bowls ND could qualify for would have been the Orange and the Cotton because of conference contracts for Sugar (SEC/Big 12), and Rose (PAC-12/Big 10). ND could get into the Cotton as an at-large or the Orange opposite the ACC champion (or 2nd place finisher, as long as Clemson goes to the Playoff).

With the Orange Bowl, ND would only get in if they finished higher than the 3rd or 4th SEC team (depending on whether one or two SEC teams make the Playoff) and higher than the 3rd Big 10 team (OSU to the Playoff and Minnesota to the Rose). There are just too many teams from those conferences above ND with only two weeks left: SEC (LSU, Georgia, Alabama, Florida) and Big 10 (Ohio State, Penn State, Minnesota, Michigan, Wisconsin). So the Orange is out because ND cannot climb over that many teams.

ND is still in it (barely) for the Cotton Bowl. But a couple of things would need to happen because I believe that ND needs to finish in the Top 12 to qualify for a spot. They need a lot of help in terms of 1 and 2-loss teams losing in front of them: Minnesota/Wisconsin still have to play (doesn't really matter who wins, but Wisconsin picking up a 3rd loss would clearly vault ND in front of them), Ohio State will beat Penn State and Michigan - Michigan (despite obliterating ND) will fall behind with 3 losses and PSU might drop that far as well, depending on how bad they lose. They'd also need a few upsets, like Florida losing to Florida State and Baylor losing again. If Oregon beats Utah in the Pac-12 championship game, I think ND would be ranked above Utah considering the schedules each have played (ND will have a couple of nice wins whereas Utah won't really have any and ND beat USC, a team which Utah lost to).

ND is just in a really big hole because the loss to Michigan dropped them so far in the polls - they are the lowest P5 2-loss team. There isn't another big win that can get ND to jump those other two-loss teams, so that's why ND needs so much to happen (teams above them lose), which is just unlikely with only two games left.

Best case:

Playoff: Ohio State v. LSU, Clemson v Georgia
Rose: Minnesota v Oregon
Sugar: Alabama v Oklahoma
Orange: Virginia Tech (would make ND's win look better) v. Florida
Cotton: ND v Memphis

In the above hypothetical, the final standings would be:

1. Ohio State (13-0, Big 10 Champion)
2. Clemson (13-0, ACC Champion)
3. Georgia (12-1, SEC Champion)
4. LSU (12-1, SEC Runner-Up)
5. Oregon (12-1, Pac-12 Champion)
6. Oklahoma (12-1, Big 12 Champion)
7. Alabama (11-1)
8. Minnesota (11-2, Big 10 Runner-Up)
9. Florida (10-2)
10. Notre Dame (10-2)
11. Penn State (10-2 - blowout loss to Ohio State)
12. Utah (10-2 - loss to Oregon in Pac-12 Championship, weak resume)
13. Baylor (11-2, Big 12 Runner-Up)
14. Wisconin (9-3)
15. Michigan (9-3)
Thanks I appreciate the clarity. Makes sense then why theres so little hope even at 10-2
Old 11-20-2019, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Thanks!

The automatic qualifiers definitely make these bowls much worse these days. With the conference champs making the playoff the conference shouldn't get the automatic tie ins, especially if the teams arent in say the top 12-15. It should really be an at large selection after the playoffs anyway chosen by the committee. As others have said these bowls are all about the cash noone wants to see bama obliterate 8-5 virginia in the orange bowl.
Old 11-20-2019, 04:11 AM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goirish83 View Post
The automatic qualifiers definitely make these bowls much worse these days. With the conference champs making the playoff the conference shouldn't get the automatic tie ins, especially if the teams arent in say the top 12-15. It should really be an at large selection after the playoffs anyway chosen by the committee. As others have said these bowls are all about the cash noone wants to see bama obliterate 8-5 virginia in the orange bowl.
I agree with this. You would think the bowls would want it this way too. Think about the money they would draw if say, Alabama vs Oklahoma, Or Georgia Vs Oregon, or Penn St vs Florida. Much better attractions than Virginia Tech vs Texas or Baylor vs Minnesota.
Old 11-20-2019, 04:51 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Blame ESPN. Much of the tie ins for Conferences, Bowls etc are owned by ESPN. If the NCAA could find a way to replace the money paid by ESPN, which they likely won't, then the landscape changes dramatically. Why the 8 team playoff is inevitable because too many rightful qualifiers are left on the outside looking in. Changes need to be made sooner than later and ND will definitely benefit.